Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jean

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Jean

sorry to start it so early, but it's almost Monday here, and I am not sure my server will behave tomorrow morning - they posted a vague warning that anything might happen, with the thunderstorms and all. So:

As everyone already knows, I am a Russian bear. I don't know what I can add because my background and everything I can tell about myself is so remote, not only geographically, but first and foremost culturally and socially, from what is familiar to you my friends... I promised to Fruno (where the hell is he again???) and Jayson to post memoirs, and I swear I already started writing them, to make my country and its twisted Soviet and post-Soviet period a little more understandable.

Before the Revolution of 1917, my Grandmother was a countess - a real live one, you know, who would believe that? She had to conceal it all her life whenever it was possible; when it wasn't, she suffered for that. But although she lost her house, her social status and all her possessions, she did keep her manners, her French, her humor and her immense intelligence; if you ask me who influenced me most in life, it was she.

My mother studied history in our University... and then she was post-graduate... and then the big International Conference came, with participation of foreigners (from capitalist countries! from behind the iron curtain! oh what a really big event for mid-60s!)... in addition to being a brilliant, promising young scholar, my mother spoke a perfect French, a tradition of our family... so she was allowed to actually mix with the French side.

It was all Susan and Roland, of course. The French historian happily went back to his advanced-progressive-democratic-civilized France, leaving my pregnant mother here, behind the iron curtain, and never, ever tried to find out how she was. Luckily, she (or rather Grandma?) was wise enough not to let anyone know my father was French (capitalis, remember?), or else the end would have been very close to that of Susan's story, too.

At school I made friends with three boys; we were called the Musketeers, - the bear as Athos, Michael (lives in Paris) as Porthos, Alexander (lives in London) as Aramis, and one more Alexander (still here in St.Petersburg) as our D'Artagnan. We've remained friends for ever, almost 40 years by now. It's Michael and Alexander who now make it possible for me to travel.

My youth was very eventful, but explaining the context would take volumes.

I am married to the best woman in the world, her name is Helen. I play a number of musical instruments and speak a number of languages; my formal education is 7 years of in-depth philosophy, but I chose the life of an itinerant free-lance teacher-consultant-interpreter-translator - anything, if fact, connected with language, Russian or foreign. I was raised and educated a Communist and Atheist, but that's too long a story... and this story is already becoming way too long.

In a word, this site is one of the very best thing that ever happened to me in my long and eventful life!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

thankyou Jean, we finally get to know more of your tale.
    Quite interesting it is as well.I must think of some good
    questions for you.PS I look forward to your memoirs....

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean's memoirs...I would pay good money for that!

How many languages do you know? Which is your favorite?

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

Do you prefer to read books in a particular language, or do you prefer them in the language they were originally written in?

What is your favorite holiday?

Beer, wine, or liquor?

Why a bear instead of any other animal? Were you just born that way?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Irish Dawn :

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    How many languages do you know?
    I can't really say, it depends on what we call "know". I am more or less fluent in English and French, and adequate in German if no eloquence is required; less so in Italian, and only marginally passable in Spanish; learning Japanese now. Also, I can understand what is written in, say, Portuguese (a Roman language) or Dutch-Swedish-Danish (Germanic), so I can't say the exact number.

Which is your favorite?
    Russian, by far! The more I know the more I marvel at how inexaustibly, fantastically rich it is.
    Among foreign languages, it's English.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
    In London, but only if I could freely travel to St.Petersburg and back. If the additional condition was that I couldn't leave, I think I'd stay here. (or maybe it would be London anyway)

Do you prefer to read books in a particular language, or do you prefer them in the language they were originally written in?
    Written in, if it is Russian, English, or French; otherwise, Russian or English. I can read other languages (in my list, from German down, getting worse and worse), but "can" isn't really what it takes to enjoy literature

What is your favorite holiday?
    May 9, the day of Victory over Fascism.

Beer, wine, or liquor?
    Liquor, and very little. Wine only if very sweet (I know it's a shame, but you see, I'm a bear...); beer only if very thirsty.

Why a bear instead of any other animal? Were you just born that way?
    Precisely! Sometimes I ask myself the same question: why a bear, of all animals? I could have been a graceful enigmatic Cat; that everyone's favorite, Dog; a splendid Tiger shining bright; but one can't help what one is.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

If you could only recommend one book, what would it be?

Dark or milk chocolate?

Wild or white rice?

Baths or showers?

If you could have dinner with anyone living or dead, who would choose and what would the dinner be?

What is your all-time favorite food?

ETA: Yay! I finally caught an about the staff profile early enough to ask questions.

ETAA: Haha. I need to go to the grocery store for dinner - as evidenced by my multiple food questions.
    Last edited by Woofer; 08-17-2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: To add my ETA. And another ETA.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Any ancestors or family members that took part in World War II?

Who is your favorite author?

Annnnnnnd....

Ever played console video games? If so, which one(s)?

Country
    Country Flag

Woofer :

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    If you could only recommend one book, what would it be?
    Lucky Jim, by Kingsley Amis, just as a wonderfully good book.
    The Ball and the Cross, by G.K.Chesterton, as a wonderfully good book for someone who wants to understand this particular bear.
    The Bear Went Over the Mountain, by W.Kotzwinkle, as a wonderfully good book for someone who wants to understand bears in general.
    Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens, just because!
    (you see, the four occasions are totally different, so I didn't break the rules!)

Dark or milk chocolate?
    Milk! or better white! or even pink or that, you now, light green? I know it's not chocolate, it's just some hardened sweet goo, but bears like it!

Wild or white rice?
    Wild!

Baths or showers?
    Baths, of course... bears are too lazy to stand... foam bath, at that. With salts and stuff, if I can afford them.

If you could have dinner with anyone living or dead, who would choose and what would the dinner be?
    Charles Dickens. The dinner will be ordered by him, in accordance to his taste, because the bear won't eat anyway, he will be too excited. If Dickens is busy, then Chesterton.
    If it has to be someone alive, it's Salvatore Adamo, my favorite poet.

What is your all-time favorite food?
    Can't choose between sweets (like marzipan or glazed fruit) and sea-foods... and a number Russian soups!
    (indifferent to meat, though)

ETAA: Haha. I need to go to the grocery store for dinner - as evidenced by my multiple food questions.
    Bears understand. Food is all-important. Every bear knows it.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Would you describe to us what a perfect romantic evening would be like for you.
    Do you like to dance? How tall are you? What do you prefer to drink for breakfast in the morning? Do you visit all the fabulos places you sent me photos of?
    What is your absolute favorite meal? Besides in the library have you ever seen a ghost?
    Do you have a green thumb, or are you a plant killer? What is the best candy for you?
    Why Japanese? Do you own a kimono? Would you like to own a kimono?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Any ancestors or family members that took part in World War II?
    Grandfather was killed in 1941, he was a journalist, but volunteered to infantry at the very beginning of the war.
    Uncle was a war pilot (bomber), lots of medals including really big ones; fought during the whole war; died a few years ago.
    Aunt - ditto, only a fighter, not a bomber. I adored her.
    Her husband, a fighter, died when I was small, I hardly remember him, but I know he was great, too.
    My wife's grandfather, died before we met, but fought the whole war, too. While my uncle and aunt with her husband fought German pilots in the sky over Berlin, my wife's Grandpa came there in his tank.

Who is your favorite author?
    Dickens

Ever played console video games? If so, which one(s)?
    I am not sure what console is...

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean

What's your favourite place/s in London and Paris?

What's the most sensible piece of advice you've ever been given?

What is your favourite colour?

I remember your arriving at .net, how did you find it in the first place?

What's your favourite film?

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Jean!

What is your middle name, if you have one?

I would think a bear like yourself would love the Rocky Mountains! Have you ever been to Canada?

WHat is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean!!

What is your favorite article of clothing and why?

Who is your hero?

What is your favorite instrument to play and why?

What kind of music do you listen to when you want to unwind?

How did you and Helen meet and how long have you been married?

thank you for all you do around here!

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Jean

Do you know your father? How is your relationship with him?
    If not, do you regret not knowing him?

Planning on having any cubs?

Favorite flower?

Favorite "down time" thing to do?

Do you like honey? Or just eat it cause you're a bear?

Do you have any desire to visit the states?
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Precisely! Sometimes I ask myself the same question: why a bear, of all animals? I could have been a graceful enigmatic Cat; that everyone's favorite, Dog; a splendid Tiger shining bright; but one can't help what one is.
    This is so perfectly eloquent I believe I must add it to my sig.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i think everyone should have a Jean quote in their sig.
    can you say a bunch of wise stuff?

Country
    Country Flag

Lady Linda :

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    Would you describe to us what a perfect romantic evening would be like for you.
    the problem is, whenever any traditional constituents of a romantic evening appear, the bear starts giggling. You have to be serious to enjoy a romantic evening, and no bear can stay serious for long; and bearwives can't be serious at all! So, when we are together, no romantic evening is possible, we'd ruin it with silly jokes and giggling.

Do you like to dance?
    I absolutely adore it! I can even dance flamenco. I don't think I could do that now, having some bone/joints problems (appeared only recently, together with everything else I complained about), but when I can, I love it!

How tall are you?
    6 ft exactly

What do you prefer to drink for breakfast in the morning?
    Always coffee, preferably with cream.

Do you visit all the fabulos places you sent me photos of?
    yes, I go to the center of the city as often as I can. Luckily, my Mom lives there (Vassilievsky Island, or maybe it was called Basli's in that book), only two steps away from that beautiful Point with the Rostrum Columns and all.

What is your absolute favorite meal?
    I have already tried to answer this question, and it's so difficult for a bear! Candy and cake come to mind immediately... but then there's all those Russian soups, and then seafoods, too!

Besides in the library have you ever seen a ghost?
    Yes.

Do you have a green thumb, or are you a plant killer?
    Neither. My mother has a real green thumb. I love only flowers (not those green things in pots people usually grow on their window sills), and I don't think I could ever grow one.

What is the best candy for you?
    Marzipan, only without any trace of chocolate (or peanut, god forbid... confectioners sometimes have weird ideas of what marzipan is. Well, it is made of almonds, not any other nuts!); glazed fruit; fudge (butterscotch or run&raisins or clotted cream)

Why Japanese?
    Because I am an old Japanophile, look at my Member Title!

Do you own a kimono?
    Yes, a number, I always wear them when at home. Well, not real kimonos, of course, but, well... kimonoids.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

jean
    • how did you come upon roland and his quest
    • if you could change one thing in your life what would it be?
    • you mentioned that once you were an atheist. i know that now you believe in god; how and when did that change?
    • do you believe in second chances?
    • do you believe in miracles?

Country
    Country Flag

Lisa :

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    What's your favourite place/s in London and Paris?
    In London, St.Catherine's Docks, Queen Mary's Garden in Regent's Park, the City around St.Paul's, and all those little closes at the Inns and around the Temple.

In Paris, Canal Saint-Martin, l'Ile Saint-Louis, the square at Saint-Sulpice, the whole of Quartier Latin, and the whole walk from St.Medard up la rue Mouffetard, across Contrescarpe, and then east to Jardin des Plantes.

What's the most sensible piece of advice you've ever been given?
    to have a whole set of dentures; advice was given by my mother based on her own experience and put an end to a few decades of nightmare

What is your favourite colour?
    Coral red.

I remember your arriving at .net, how did you find it in the first place?
    in a backassward way. I suddenly found out that volumes 5 through 7 were out long ago. I got restless and tried to find either text, or anything about it, in the Internet, with which I had never had any previous relations except email. I didn't even notice there were forums at .net, I registered to play the trivia (Internes holds lots of temptations for the inexperienced). Then I clicked on "Forums" link just our of curiosity and because I had begun to spy some mistakes in the trivia, so was losing interest and needed some new entertainment.
    Entertainment my ass... that was the end of my whole previous life and the beginning of an entirely new one...

What's your favourite film?
    It's a Wonderful Life

Country
    Country Flag

Odetta :

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    What is your middle name, if you have one?
    no, there's no tradition of middle names here

I would think a bear like yourself would love the Rocky Mountains! Have you ever been to Canada?
    no... and I am afraid I am rather an urban bear... I would love to go to Canada, but not for any mountains - only to see you!

WHat is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?
    There's been a lot. Here's one:
    When a friend of mine was getting married, I was invited to the wedding party, but I hadn't previously seen the bride. And that friend, you see, is very short, almost a midget (although not quite). So when I came in... oh Lord, those cultural differences again. You see, it wasn't customary, especially not among educated circles, to celebrate weddings in any big way (there was no money etc), so it was always very informal, and took place in someones apartment, if anybody had one... and our apartments are very small... well, so I rang the bell, and the door was opened by a whole bunch of girls who were teeming there, for the lack of other place... so I (naturally, it seemed to me) handed my bouquet to the smallest of them and started mumbling my congratulations, when the real bride appeared and claimed the bouquet and the congrats and all. She was of quite normal height... very, very embarassing indeed. The above illustrate that old joke about assuming, doesn't it?

Country
    Country Flag

maerlyn :

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    What is your favorite article of clothing and why?
    My T-shirt with three cats on it. Because they look just like bears! I'll post their picture later.
    And, of course, those famous old winter boots I wore for ten years... glued and re-glued... now they are replaced, but not thrown away, of course, they enjoy their honorable retirement!

Who is your hero?
    Vladimir Vyssotsky
    Simon Wiesenthal
    quite a long list of our Catholic saints. There are such amazing stories and such extraordinary people, from St.Laurence and St.George to the anti-fascist martyrs.

What is your favorite instrument to play and why?
    guitar, because it's the only I can play half-decent

What kind of music do you listen to when you want to unwind?
    I never listen to any music for relaxation, only read books. Music impresses me too deep. I usually listen to classics (Chopin, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Chaikovsky), or French chanson (Adamo, Brel, Piaf, Brassens), but never for relaxation.

How did you and Helen meet and how long have you been married?
    She studied together with that Alexander who lives in London now: math, IT, all that. We became friends, and it was all totally When Harry Met Sally for years. Luckily, we realized the truth at last, and will have been married for 18 years come December.

thank you for all you do around here!
    let's all thank Matt and Dora and Hannah and Aaron who made all that possible! I still sometimes think it's just a wonderful dream I am having

P.S. I don't seem to know your favorite flower! what is it?

Country
    Country Flag

Nerak :

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    Do you know your father? How is your relationship with him?
    yes, I found him after the Communist regime collapsed. I saw him, satisfied myself as to what he is like, and that was quite enough.

If not, do you regret not knowing him?
    No.

Planning on having any cubs?
    No... we're afraid we might have human babies, and we are not too fond of them, either of us. Like Daghain said, if they could appear already at the age of six, it might be considered.

Favorite flower?
    rose!!! Coral red, orange-y, tea, or yellow; then white; only then red and pink. Tulips, too, mainly yellow, but all other colors will do!

Favorite "down time" thing to do?
    reading, of course...

Do you like honey? Or just eat it cause you're a bear?
    I like honey, although am not crazy about it. You see, bears are famous for liking honey mainly because normally they have only limited, if any, access to other sweets.

Do you have any desire to visit the states?
    Yes, to see my .com friends!
    Otherwise, I have to confess, it would be rather low on my list of priorities. I afraid it is not feasible anyway - I can never afford it, and even if I could, it's almost impossible to get a visa.

P.S. I don't know your favorite flowers, either! What are they?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    can you say a bunch of wise stuff?
    that's what any bear does non-stop all his life
    too bad all that wise stuff is ursine and, thus, hardly applicable to humans

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Who is Vladimir Vyssotsky?

How long have you been teaching?

If you could visit any one place you haven't, where would you go?

What is your favorite poem?

What is the most beutiful place you've seen in your country?

and
    Spoiler:
    Does a bear sh*t in the woods?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

t/song :

how did you come upon roland and his quest
    I read everything by King ever since The Dead Zone was published in a Soviet magazine, at the beginning of the 80s. I didn't know any English at that time, so it was the only King novel I read in Russian (I re-read it in English since, quite a few times); then I learned English, and read all King within reach; then Alexander went to live in England and started bringing me King books if he could find them cheap, so The Dark Tower was sooner or later inevitable.

if you could change one thing in your life what would it be?
    my present health condition

you mentioned that once you were an atheist. i know that now you believe in god; how and when did that change?
    if nothing happens, I will start posting in our Religion thread since September. I have cowardly avoided it for years, but I can't any longer; I owe it to my God and his Saints and to myself. The story is too long anyway to answer it in one single post; the primary reasons were of intellectual nature (the problem of the knowability and independent existence of the world).

do you believe in second chances?
    Of course. Second, third, and so one, till death; giving up on oneself is cowardice, and giving up on someone else is ignoble.

do you believe in miracles?
    Definitely, absolutely YES.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Who was your first love?

Roland would have understood.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast