Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can you tell? Straub vs. King

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Default Can you tell? Straub vs. King

This may be an unnecessary thread, and might need to be moved into a thread that was already created about these novels, but this is a discussion meant to go in a different direction:

The Talisman, specifically. Can you tell which parts were written by King and which were written by Straub? Were they written in the form of King/Straub writes the first half and then Straub/King writes the second half? Does anyone know?

Can you tell? I certainly can't!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would keep this thread intact! Who knows in cooperation with whom Sai King might write in the future? Great idea for a thread, BillyxR.

On topic now: I strongly suspect that my favorite places in BH were Straub's... like, the long panoramic view at the very beginning, and the like; the introduction of the slippage concept; also, the opopanax theme - I think you get the idea: everything that takes style, exquisite writing, as opposed to telling a hole-in-the-page story (which is undeniably Sai King's forte)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

When The Talisman first came out, similar questions were asked. King responded by stating that he and Straub intentionally copied each others' styles so that no-one would be able to tell who wrote what. I really believe that is true.

John

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Excellent book The Talisman... I should read it again..

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

I'm barely scratched the surface of The Talisman, so I wanted to know so I could be like "Oh, there's King! And there's Straub's input!"

But they copied each other's style!? Hmm!

Gunslinger Apprentice Bluenose is on a distinguished road Bluenose's Avatar

I always thought that Talisman was a Straub book (for the simple reason that I always thought that Jack would survive) while Black House was more of a King book (again, for the very simple reason that I didnt know if he would - also the more...prevalent Tower themes and the references to Rolands world)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
    I always thought that Talisman was a Straub book <...> while Black House was more of a King book<...>
    me too, but I'm afraid only I because absolutely adore BH, and have some reservations regarging Talisman

bangoskank1

I know the secret......

Country
    Country Flag

::all ears::

Gunslinger Apprentice Bluenose is on a distinguished road Bluenose's Avatar

Funny enough, Jean, I picked up a few Straub books after reading Talisman and was less than impressed. I love The Talisman, but BH is a far superior book.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by bangoskank1 View Post
    I know the secret......

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
    Funny enough, Jean, I picked up a few Straub books after reading Talisman and was less than impressed. I love The Talisman, but BH is a far superior book.
    I was very disappointed in Julia (Full Circle), and still haven't finished another one whose name I keep forgetting.
    And BH is in my top five! (which Talisman isn't by far)

oops - let's keep to the topic, or I'll have to merge this thread

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I've never really tried to distinguish their parts. I wonder if I could if I made a point of it. I'd like to think so based solely on the fact that I can take or leave Straub but I adore King.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

+ Reply to Thread