Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which one do you Prefer?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Desperation

89 67.42%
  • The Regulators

43 32.58%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Desperation Vs The Regulators

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I need to give Bag another go-round. It didn't do it for me the first time, but it's been awhile. After Duma Key I have to finish my re-read of W&G, but that shouldn't take long. Maybe Bag after that. Dunno.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Definately give it another shot. It's a wonderful book. It's one of my favorite King stories.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Well I thought the story to the regulators was more interesting, but desperation was written better so I voted desperation...

Traveler Farson is on a distinguished road Farson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nothing scarier than a cop who adds, "I'm going to kill you." to your miranda rights. "Desperation" is in my top 10 best SK books. "The Regulators" was just whacked out. Serious trippage goin on in that one, still liked alot though.
    Stand And Be True.

Gunslinger Apprentice Lance is on a distinguished road Lance's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Personally I liked The Regulators more because it didn't have all the religious implications that Desperation had.
    I'm Joe Collins, bitch. Recognize!

"I don't like pot. It dulls my hatred" - Darlene Conner

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Farson View Post
    Nothing scarier than a cop who adds, "I'm going to kill you." to your miranda rights.
    I love how King played on our natural fear of boys in blue and amped it up a little by having him act all weird.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Desperation is the better, hands down. I remember the first time I read it. It started with such a creepy vibe anyway, the feeling of isolation. Then this crazy cop comes in, and I'm thinking:
    "Oh, I'm in for a hell of a ride here."

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I re-read back to back both books in the past weeks, and now I must say
    tho' I at first said Desperation... The Regulaters was better than I remembered.
    Spoiler:
    Having the names of characters switched around was so crazy reading both stories so close together.

Anyway, my opinion is they are both really good books.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I'm just about to finish desperation. I was told that was the best way to go: Desperation then regulators. this is now one of my favorite books

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Im covering my eyes as I type this as Im about 2/3 done with Regulators. Then on to Desperation. Visa Versa than Razzle Dazzle.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Is it your first read of both?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I'm just about to finish desperation. I was told that was the best way to go: Desperation then regulators. this is now one of my favorite books

I've found reading them in either order works but just bring a different perspective.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think The Regulator is perhaps the more original of the two. The idea of
    Spoiler:
    thoughtforms from a possessed child killing people
    was very interesting, something I don't think I've come across before. (I suppose the closest would be
    Spoiler:
    the green Lantern's power.

That being said I prefer Desperation. I read it first too. I just love those stories that are close to the real world, all the things you know.... then twist! The characters in special cars were a cool idea, but it just seemed a bit more out there. I guess I like the kind of story, just enough off-set from reality where you think, "That could happen." There are exceptions though. I love the Dark Tower books after all, and there largely set in a fantasy world rather different from our own! (Mind you I like 'fantasy other world' stories too.)

That's not to say there was no originality in Desperation either.
    Spoiler:
    The can-tahs were a pretty twisted interesting concept.
    And ghost town stories (even if only recently 'ghosted') are cool.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Heath View Post
    Im covering my eyes as I type this as Im about 2/3 done with Regulators. Then on to Desperation. Visa Versa than Razzle Dazzle.
    Is this your first read of something else by King aside from the Dark Tower books?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice MrQuint is on a distinguished road MrQuint's Avatar

I read Regulators first - and preferred that one. I agree that this is a case where the first one you read is the book of choice. You get used to the characters one way - to see them differently is a mind fuck.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I read Desperation first, but preferred Regulators which I read straight after. Desperation was too bleak for me.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

really started Regulators today. the whole scene with the vans is confusing, random, creepy, and awesome.

John F. Kennedy Kingfanatic260 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I really don't think this one is even close IMO. Desperation is one of my fav King books hands down but The Regulators left something to be desired for me.

I liked The Regulators, but I agree that it was lacking something compared to Deperation.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I thought Desperation was much better. The writing style, the story, the point ... it all seemed so much more relevant to life than Regulators.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

hear, hear

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Thirded. I recently reread them back-to-back (Desperation first) and while I like them both, Desperation was the clear winner for me.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

i have read them both and i think they rank among SKs' top work BUT the regulators is in my opinion far superior, that ending with the shotgun and the toilet and the demon talking saying it will return and the exploding heads has given me a deranged amount of sleepless nights, that book is really scary, desperations' opening with the "i will kill u" thrown into the miranda warning is sick but i felt the book didnt have as much sheer OOMPH as the regulators
    Tak is my favorite villain though, in either book
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

and holy crap im the 19th person to vote 4 the regulators
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

aand for desperation, I'm the big five-oh! (not as great as nineteen, but still pretty good)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast