Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which one do you Prefer?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Desperation

89 67.42%
  • The Regulators

43 32.58%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Desperation Vs The Regulators

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

i freaked out a few months ago after i read the regulators for like the umpteenth time, i woke up in the middle of the night and started shrieking my head off cause there was what appeared to be a cluster of floating red dots across the room, turns out it was the heater in my fish tank, but still it scared the crap outta me, the regulators (n desperation 2 a lesser extent in my opinion) is like the excorcist on steroids
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

I read Desperation first and loved it but I love The Regulators more.

Tak is one of my favorite SK villains, too, and I think I like him a little better in Desperation but The Regulators is so much creepier and scarier to me. I don't remember having any trouble keeping the characters straight, though.

They were both pretty brutal, in my opinion, and they're both good. The Regulators just happened to scare me more.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

read regulators first then desperation...i liked regulators better because of the weird cars and stuff...wasn't that keen with all the "god stuff" in desperation. but both were good books. although there was this one part that i thought was really funny in regulators where the wife comes home
    Spoiler:
    she is killed and she is spawled out for the world to see and one guy says " i see london i see france but she ain't got no underpants"

that is king for youlll

Gunslinger Apprentice batsker will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

After seeing the results, I know I'm in the minority here, but I have to say Regulators. I still enjoyed Desperation, but something about the relationship with the characters in Regulators made me feel much more wrapped up in the story. I could feel the anxiety and fear. I did read Regulators first, and that may have something to do with it. Maybe it was more difficult to associate with the people in Desperation, because they weren't acting how I expected them to after reading Regulators.

Good input from all. I love to hear different perspectives.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    wasn't that keen with all the "god stuff" in desperation.
    I think that was actually one of the things I liked so much about the story.
    That was one of my complaints about the movie: That the whole David/God relationship was pretty much removed.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

one of the many reasons why I love Desperation immeasurably more is that most things that happen there happen inside human souls, while The Regulators is just too much fuss: ran, shot, fell, jumped, bled etc. Bears hate action. Bears like it slow and creepy.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Desperation. Hands down. No comparison.
    I read Desperation first and I agree with Jean totally on this one: No comparison. It's using the same characters but that's all these novels have in common.

Traveler The Old Fella is on a distinguished road The Old Fella's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read The Regulators first and, say sorry, I do not much care for it at all. It was very interesting to read these two books and to watch events play out (almost as if watching the same thing happen but on two different levels of the Tower, if you kennit), but I much preferred the story told in Desperation to the one told in The Regulators.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    wasn't that keen with all the "god stuff" in desperation.
    I think that was actually one of the things I liked so much about the story.
    Ditto here. And the part in the prison was so much more frightening since you didn't know who was going next. For me, that made it one of the creepiest books King has written.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought that the way TV was presented as a kind of god in the regulators was WAY creepy

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I voted for The Regulators.

Both were creepy, but for me anyway, The Regulators wins if for no other reason than its ending. Just so heartwarming....

Desperation's ending didn't do that for me.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Read both books as soon as they came out some 10-12 years ago. Have not read either since, so my memory of the plots is fuzzy. I do remember being completely dissapointed with The Regulators. I remember it being kinda silly that japanamation on acid

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNING'S CHILDE View Post
    Read both books as soon as they came out some 10-12 years ago. Have not read either since, so my memory of the plots is fuzzy. I do remember being completely dissapointed with The Regulators. I remember it being kinda silly that japanamation on acid
    Um...I think that was kind of the point....

I think he was satirizing Saturday morning kiddie fare of the time....

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

exactly i was a kid when that book was written so by the time i read it i was like 15, and it was a blatant spoof on power-rangers which just made it even creepier to a kid who'd grown up with such fare

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNING'S CHILDE View Post
    Um...I think that was kind of the point....

I think he was satirizing Saturday morning kiddie fare of the time....
    I guess that is why I didn't really care for it. I never have been a big fan of satire. Not even good satire like SNL (shrugs)
    Also, I was past my Saturday morning cartoons period by the time I read this. Now that you mention it though, it was totally Power Rangers. Though I abhor power rangers.....and pokemon.......ughhhh.... (shivers)

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I for one think that Sai Bachmans' head on collision between power rangers and the excorcist worked horrifyingly well

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    Well I for one think that Sai Bachmans' head on collision between power trangers and the excorcist worked horrifyingly well
    I agree. I loved The Regulators, especially the concept of

The Regulators

Gunslinger Apprentice ladykatherine is on a distinguished road ladykatherine's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I read Desperation first and just finished the Regulators.
    I definitely enjoyed The Regulators much more than Desperation.
    The Regulators just moved more quickly and was, well, more compelling to read. There were all those pieces with the letters/diary entries/etc that made the story seem encompassing, and not just a little problem in suburbia. The blur between reality and illusion is one of my favorite ideas to toy around with, and it definitely captured my attention better than Desperation's story line. Although it was a great novel too, it read like a straight story/thought and lacked any real fascination from me, though it did scare me more than the Regulators. I don't think fear was enough to keep me completely wound up in Desperation's world.
    LadyK
    "The average pencil is seven inches long, with just a half inch eraser--in case you thought optimism was dead." ♥ --Robert Brault

Along the Path of the Beam Beamer is on a distinguished road Beamer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read Desperation First and it just captivated me... when i read the Regulators I was impressed but the story of Desperation just grabbed me more.... Desperation gets my vote

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Desperation for President! Wooo!!

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Desperation for President! Wooo!!
    Might as well. We're just about finished with a President who thought he was a Regulator.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

WE'RE THE REGULATORS THAT DEREGULATE
    WE'RE THE ANIMATORS THAT DEANIMATE
    WE'RE THE PROPAGATORS OF OUR GENOCIDE
    BURNING THROUGH THE WORLDS RESOURCES
    THEN WE RUN AND HIIIIIDE

WE'RE COOL, IN DENIAL
    WE'RE THE CRUEL REGULATORS
    SMOKING CIGARO CIGARO CIGAR
    COOL, IN DENIAL
    WE'RE THE CRUEL REGULATORS
    SMOKING CIGARO CIGARO CIGAR

I'd never have thought quoting System of a Down would be an appropriate response, but there you have it. Well played Razz.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if Serj and Daron r tower-junkies...

Along the Path of the Beam GirlGoneNineteen is on a distinguished road GirlGoneNineteen's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked The Regulators a lot more than Desperation.
    Maybe living in Vegas (and hating it!) had an influence but I was absolutely terrified by the mine shaft scene. Claustrophobia, anyone?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast