Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Olympics

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My beautiful Mexico just got eliminated from the Olympic Soccer tournament.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Ms. Biles just won the all around gold in gymnastics. The height she obtains on the floor routine is stunning. No springboard... nothing at all! She puts the 7' 4" NBA centers to shame! I imagine her vert. is similar... but it's what she does with that vert!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Keep it clean Jon...

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh man, that was an amazing night of swimming for the US! Maya DiRado and Anthony Ervin with thrilling gold wins, Phelps with a three-way tie for silver (27 medals and still counting), Nathan Adrian with a bronze. And that 800M freestyle by Katie Ledecky was beyond comprehension. She utterly destroyed the pool. Never seen anything like it. The last lap she was going all by herself pretty much. If you have not seen the full race, this is astonishing:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/kat...e-world-record

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome display of sportsmanship and compassion:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-leg/88821348/
    Perhaps the most moving parcel of time that these Games will see happened at Olympic Stadium on Tuesday morning, in the heats of the women’s 5,000 meters.

It was a moment that forged a friendship between two athletes who had never previously met, an accident that preceded an extraordinary gesture to warm the hearts of a global audience and spoke to everything that is good and righteous about international sports’ grandest competition.

Nikki Hamblin of New Zealand and Abbey D’Agostino of the USA didn’t know each other and had never spoken before they stepped onto the track, both seeking a place in the final amid stiff competition.

With 4½ of the 12½ laps remaining, confusion struck. D’Agostino fell while running amid a pack of athletes, causing her to clip Hamblin, just ahead of her. The pair tumbled spectacularly. It was an ugly, disappointing mess.

Until something beautiful and uplifting, literally, happened.

“When I went down I was like ‘Why am I on the ground’ and suddenly there was this hand on my shoulder,” Hamblin said.

It was D’Agostino, who had stopped, and was lifting her rival to her feet. “Come on, get up,” the American was saying. “We have to finish this race.”

The problem was, that D’Agostino’s knee had been battered in the fall. It was badly damaged and looked out of place. As she helped Hamblin it buckled beneath her. The New Zealander then returned the favor, lending physical support, and waiting until D’Agostino was able to move under her own speed that she carried on. The pair continued.

Hamblin finished in 16:43:61, D’Agostino 17:10:02. Both times, understandably, were way outside their personal bests. They didn’t matter. It could have taken an hour for them to finish and they would still have triumphed as emphatically as any gold medal winner.

This is how sports should be. Competition is important and entertaining but humanity is more so. Abbey D’Agostino knows. So too does Nikki Hamblin.

“I am so grateful to Abbey for doing that for me,” Hamblin said. “That girl is the Olympic spirit right there. I am so impressed and inspired.

“I had never met her, isn’t that so amazing? It is a moment that I will never ever forget for the rest of my life.”

As they were not at fault for the fall, both Hamblin and D’Agostino were advanced through the final. D’Agostino immediately received medical treatment after the race and it is not clear if she will even be able to run. Hamblin will be a huge long shot for a medal. Again, it doesn’t matter.

This will resonate more than anything else they could have done, or could do now, more so than if they pulled off a miraculous upset by breaking the tape tied for first in a new world record time.

Tuesday morning's moment prompted an outpouring of support and attention around the world. Journalists from eight nations were in the pack who interviewed Hamblin after the race. D’Agostino was in the medical tent, receiving treatment, when she got the message she had been put into the final.

Maybe D’Agostino got swept up in the Olympic spirit. Maybe she was just so happy to be here that she did a remarkable deed — she only placed fifth at trials but got a spot when two other athletes pulled out of the event. Or maybe, as Hamblin said, she is just “such a good person.”

“Everyone wants to win and get a medal, but as disappointing as it is, there is so much more to this,” Hamblin said. “It is just a mutual understanding of how much everyone puts into it. For sure (we have) a friendship now. When someone asks me what happened in Rio in 20 years time, that is my story. She is my story.”

Country
    Country Flag

Hoping the Summer Olympics come back to the US for the first time since 1996:

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Mo Farah. Olympic god. Truly an amazing athlete
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Really awesome Tokyo 2020 presentation last night:

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Rio 2016 Olympics...
    27 Athletics from my hometown HAMBURG ... 16 Medals ... not so bad...

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Will there be snow for the '18 Olympics?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Korea gets snow, right? Maybe not down by Pusan, but up a little further north?

And I'm sure those crafty Koreans can manufacture snow if they need to!

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympi...317-story.html
    The International Olympic Committee has moved closer toward picking both Los Angeles and Paris to host a Summer Games in an unprecedented double vote this year.

IOC President Thomas Bach has repeatedly hinted at awarding the hosting rights for both the 2024 and 2028 Games at the IOC Session on Sept. 13 in Lima, Peru. Only the 2024 Games are currently scheduled to be voted on in Lima.

“All the options are on the table, and this includes also the ‘24-’28 procedure and vote,” Bach said Friday when announcing a working group to study changing the candidate process.

The IOC executive board asked its four vice presidents to “explore changes” in Olympic bidding and report back in July.

“We have two excellent candidates there from two major Olympic countries,” Bach said at a news conference after a two-day board meeting. “This is a position you like to be in.”

Bach said the four-man working group will make proposals to the board and full membership. They meet from July 9-12 in Lausanne, Switzerland, where L.A. and Paris will make formal presentations of their 2024 hosting plans.

A full IOC meeting can change the Olympic Charter, which currently says host cities must be picked seven years in advance.

“You must always have room for interpretation to adapt to changing times,” said Bach, who noted that he co-wrote the current book of Olympic rules. “The charter is flexible enough also in this respect.”

LA 2024 released a statement Friday morning:

“All of our work for more than two years has been about 2024. So we are only bidding on 2024, and while the IOC has formed a working group to explore changes, we have not heard anything different from the IOC on the bid process.”

Los Angeles and Paris are in a two-candidate race after several rivals dropped out after facing public opposition to expected spiraling costs and doubts about the long-term value of being an Olympic host.

Since December, Bach has repeated warnings about a bid process that produces “too many losers,” suggesting concerns that the city that lost a 2024 vote would not return with a candidacy for the 2028 Olympics.

“We are in a comfortable situation. Now it will be up to the working group how to best explore, how to best exploit, the positive situation,” Bach said. “We should not miss the opportunity to explore this opportunity.”

The four vice presidents are John Coates of Australia, Yu Zaiqing of China, Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr. of Spain and Ugur Erdener of Turkey.

Bach returned his focus to curbing excessive spending by hosts by welcoming budget cuts by organizers of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Talks between government and Olympic officials have reduced the expected costs to $15.2 billion from an initial $30 billion estimate, Bach said, adding that “even more savings can be made.”

A discrimination issue for the Tokyo Games could be resolved this weekend, Bach said.

The Kasumigaseki Country Club, which was picked to stage men's and women's golf tournaments, will have a board meeting to review its policy of not allowing women as full members.

“The Olympic Games are about non-discrimination in every respect,” Bach said, adding he hoped the club will “grant the same rights to women as for men.”

Also, Kenya avoided being suspended by the IOC after its national Olympic committee officials backtracked and agreed to pass a new constitution and hold elections.

Kenya had its funding from the IOC cut last week and faced a ban after refusing to make the changes the IOC called for. But the National Olympic Committee of Kenya wrote to the IOC this week promising to “rectify the situation,” the IOC said in a statement to the Associated Press.

NOCK must now adopt the new constitution at a meeting on March 28 and then organize elections.

The IOC executive board decided funding to Kenya would continue to be on hold “until further notice.”

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I wonder what all Kenya did was worse than that of The Kasumigaseki Country Club and it's its policy of not allowing women as full members.

Country
    Country Flag

The Olympics are officially coming back to the US, the question now is whether that's in 2024 or 2028:

https://gamesbids.com/eng/featured/i...-la-and-paris/
    The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Tuesday voted unanimously to approve a plan that could see both Los Angeles and Paris host the Olympic Games next decade.

The approved proposal by four IOC Vice Presidents that allows the allocation of the 2024 and 2028 Olympic Games simultaneously to Los Angeles and Paris, could turn the current race into a high-stakes poker game.

The plan, introduced by IOC Vice President John Coates requires one of the cities to “raise their hand” and accept the 2028 edition, then drop out of the 2024 race allowing the remaining city to host that year instead. Then, a new 2028 Candidature Procedure would be launched so that the volunteering city could apply and be awarded those Games.

A tripartite agreement between LA 2024, Paris 2024 and the IOC would be drawn up so all parties agree to the changes involved in the revised process. The 2028 host city agreement would also require minor modifications.

If a tripartite agreement is reached, the seven-year bid deadline will be waved. If no deal is struck, the election for the 2024 Games will proceed as originally planned.

Both LA and Paris have said they are only focused on 2024 but in recent weeks LA Mayor Eric Garcetti has suggested that his city wants to do whats best for the Olympic movement. Paris says it can’t host in 2028 due to land availability for the Olympic Village.

Coates admitted “we don’t know that one city will agree.”

With a deal in hand, an IOC Evaluation Commission (EC) for 2028 would then be launched and details, including any updates to guarantees, venue availability, budgets and other relevant items would have to be provided by the candidate so the EC can publish an evaluation report.

One issue raised by Coates is that the guarantees and EC report would have to be provided by August 14, just over one month from now, assuming a deal is struck immediately, and 30 days ahead of the September 13 IOC Session in Lima where the election is set to take place. Whether the application by the 2028 applicant could be approved by members at a subsequent session instead was not discussed. It will be a challenge for the two cities to get the relevant government guarantees during a period where many politicians enjoy a summer break.

Bach suggested a deal could be put together quickly, perhaps having all work done by August. He joked that the three would begin over dinner tonight with French and Californian wine.

The tripartite negotiations will be led by the IOC Olympic Games department – with bids individually at first before they join as a group.

Coates said “the cities both welcome the ideas of discussing the simultaneous award,” adding “both cities are keen to collaborate.”

He said they could work together to benefit from cost-savings.

The process could be conducted, Coates said, without any changes to the Olympic Charter due to a clause that allows alterations of the bid process due to “exceptional circumstances.”

Long-time IOC member from Canada, lawyer Dick Pound urged caution to the Executive Board suggesting that opening up a 2028 Candidature Procedure could unintentionally leave the door ajar for other cities to apply – he suggest circumventing the process and going straight to the election instead.

Following the announcement Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo and LA Mayor Eric Garcetti raised their arms and celebrated on stage with IOC President Thomas Bach.

In a statement, LA 2024 said “This is a proud day for Los Angeles and for the Olympic and Paralympic Movements in America.”

“We’re thrilled with the IOC’s decision today, which is a major step forward in making LA’s Olympic dream a reality.

“Today, two of the world’s greatest cities, with outstanding but different proposals, stand ready to serve and advance the Olympic and Paralympic movements and their values. We look forward to working with the IOC and Paris in the weeks ahead to turn this golden opportunity into a golden future together.”

During a press briefing following the decision Garcetti spoke with great confidence that both cities would be hosting the Games despite the need to negotiate a tripartite agreement between the stubborn parties.

“We don’t have it worked out sitting here,” he said at the briefing that included both Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo and Bach.

When asked, both Mayors refused to suggest that they may be leaning toward choosing 2028.

But the confidence and body language at the table suggested an agreement, in principal, could already be in place.

Country
    Country Flag

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/31/news...028/index.html
    The Summer Olympics will head to Los Angeles in 2028, according to a spokeswoman for L.A. City Council President Herb Wesson.

The city has struck a deal with the International Olympic Committee to host the games.

"LA 2024 and the Olympic Organizing Committee have worked out a deal for Los Angeles to host the 2028 Olympic Games," said spokeswoman Caolinn Mejza. "The LA City Council will hold an ad-hoc meeting on Friday to discuss accepting the deal."

It's the first time the Summer Olympics will be held in the U.S. since the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

Los Angeles also hosted the summer games in 1932 and 1984.

The move clears the way for Paris to host the Olympics in 2024. Earlier this month, the International Olympic Committee decided to award two games at once, and said the 2024 and 2028 games would go to Paris and L.A. -- it just hadn't decided which city would get which year.

Country
    Country Flag

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/31/news...028/index.html
    The Summer Olympics will head to Los Angeles in 2028, according to a spokeswoman for L.A. City Council President Herb Wesson.

The city has struck a deal with the International Olympic Committee to host the games.

"LA 2024 and the Olympic Organizing Committee have worked out a deal for Los Angeles to host the 2028 Olympic Games," said spokeswoman Caolinn Mejza. "The LA City Council will hold an ad-hoc meeting on Friday to discuss accepting the deal."

It's the first time the Summer Olympics will be held in the U.S. since the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

Los Angeles also hosted the summer games in 1932 and 1984.

The move clears the way for Paris to host the Olympics in 2024. Earlier this month, the International Olympic Committee decided to award two games at once, and said the 2024 and 2028 games would go to Paris and L.A. -- it just hadn't decided which city would get which year.

Country
    Country Flag

This is astounding (but so expensive!):

https://www.criterion.com/films/2936...olympic-films/
    Spanning fifty-three movies and forty-one editions of the Olympic Summer and Winter Games, this one-of-a-kind collection assembles, for the first time, a century's worth of Olympic films—the culmination of a monumental, award-winning archival project encompassing dozens of new restorations by the International Olympic Committee. These documentaries cast a cinematic eye on some of the most iconic moments in the history of modern sports, spotlighting athletes who embody the Olympic motto of "Faster, Higher, Stronger": Jesse Owens shattering sprinting world records on the track in 1936 Berlin, Jean Claude-Killy dominating the slopes of Grenoble in 1968, Joan Benoit breaking away to win the first-ever women's marathon on the streets of Los Angeles in 1984. In addition to the work of Bud Greenspan, the man behind an impressive ten Olympic features, this stirring collective chronicle of triumph and defeat includes such landmarks of the documentary form as Leni Riefenstahl's Olympia and Kon Ichikawa's Tokyo Olympiad, along with lesser-known but captivating contributions by major directors like Claude Lelouch, Carlos Saura, and Miloš Forman. It also serves as a fascinating window onto the formal development of cinema itself, as well as the technological progress that has enabled the viewer, over the years, to get ever closer to the action. Traversing continents and decades, and reflecting as well the social, cultural, and political changes that have shaped our recent history, this remarkable marathon of films offers nothing less than a panorama of a hundred years of human endeavor.

SPECIAL EDITION COLLECTOR'S SET FEATURES:

• 53 newly restored films from 41 editions of the Olympic Games, presented together for the first time
    • Landmark 4K restorations of Olympia, Tokyo Olympiad, and Visions of Eight, among other titles
    • New scores for the silent films, composed by Maud Nelissen, Donald Sosin, and Frido ter Beek
    • A lavishly illustrated, 216-page hardcover book, featuring notes on the films by cinema historian Peter Cowie; a foreword by Thomas Bach, President of the International Olympic Committee; a short history of the restoration project by restoration producer Adrian Wood; and hundreds of photographs from a century of Olympic Games

Films included:

Stockholm 1912
    The Games of the V Olympiad Stockholm, 1912 (dir. Adrian Wood)

Chamonix 1924
    The Olympic Games Held at Chamonix in 1924 (dir. Jean de Rovera)

Paris 1924
    The Olympic Games as They Were Practiced in Ancient Greece (dir. Jean de Rovera)
    The Olympic Games in Paris 1924 (dir. Jean de Rovera)

St. Moritz 1928
    The White Stadium (dirs. Arnold Fanck, Othmar Gurtner)

Amsterdam 1928
    The IX Olympiad in Amsterdam (dir. unknown)
    The Olympic Games, Amsterdam 1928 (dir. Wilhelm Prager; supervisor Jules Perel)

Garmisch-Partenkirchen 1936
    Youth of the World (dir. Carl Junghans)

Berlin 1936
    Olympia Part One: Festival of the Nations (dir. Leni Riefenstahl)
    Olympia Part Two: Festival of Beauty (dir. Leni Riefenstahl)

St. Moritz 1948
    Fight Without Hate (dir. André Michel)

London 1948
    XIVth Olympiad: The Glory of Sport (dir. Castleton Knight)

Oslo 1952
    The VI Olympic Winter Games, Oslo 1952 (dir. Tancred Ibsen)

Helsinki 1952
    Where the World Meets (dir. Hannu Leminen)
    Gold and Glory (dir. Hannu Leminen)
    Memories of the Olympic Summer of 1952 (dir. unknown)

Cortina d'Ampezzo 1956
    White Vertigo (dir. Giorgio Ferroni)

Melbourne/Stockholm 1956
    Olympic Games, 1956 (dir. Peter Whitchurch)
    The Melbourne Rendez-vous (dir. René Lucot)
    Alain Mimoun (dir. Louis Gueguen)
    The Horse in Focus (dir. unknown)

Squaw Valley 1960
    People, Hopes, Medals (dir. Heribert Meisel)

Rome 1960
    The Grand Olympics (dir. Romolo Marcellini)

Innsbruck 1964
    IX Olympic Winter Games, Innsbruck 1964 (dir. Theo Hörmann)

Tokyo 1964
    Tokyo Olympiad (dir. Kon Ichikawa)
    Sensation of the Century (prod. Taguchi Suketaro, supervisor Nobumasa Kawamoto)

Grenoble 1968
    13 Days in France (dirs. Claude Lelouch, François Reichenbach)
    Snows of Grenoble (dirs. Jacques Ertaud, Jean-Jacques Languepin)

Mexico City 1968
    The Olympics in Mexico (dir. Alberto Isaac)

Sapporo 1972
    Sapporo Winter Olympics (dir. Masahiro Shinoda)

Munich 1972
    Visions of Eight (dirs. Miloš Forman, Kon Ichikawa, Claude Lelouch, Yuri Ozerov, Arthur Penn, Michael Pfleghar, John Schlesinger, Mai Zetterling)

Innsbruck 1976
    White Rock (dir. Tony Maylam)

Montreal 1976
    Games of the XXI Olympiad (dirs. Jean-Claude Labrecque, Jean Beaudin, Marcel Carrière, Georges Dufaux)

Lake Placid 1980
    Olympic Spirit (dirs. Drummond Challis, Tony Maylam)

Moscow 1980
    O Sport, You Are Peace! (dir. Yuri Ozerov)

Sarajevo 1984
    A Turning Point (dir. Kim Takal)

Los Angeles 1984
    16 Days of Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Calgary 1988
    Calgary '88: 16 Days of Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Seoul 1988
    Seoul 1988 (dir. Lee Kwang-soo)
    Hand in Hand (dir. Im Kwon-taek)
    Beyond All Barriers (dir. Lee Ji-won)

Albertville 1992
    One Light, One World (dirs. Joe Jay Jalbert, R. Douglas Copsey)

Barcelona 1992
    Marathon (dir. Carlos Saura)

Lillehammer 1994
    Lillehammer '94: 16 Days of Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Atlanta 1996
    Atlanta's Olympic Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Nagano 1998
    Nagano '98 Olympics: Stories of Honor and Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)
    Olympic Glory (dir. Kieth Merrill)

Sydney 2000
    Sydney 2000: Stories of Olympic Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Salt Lake City 2002
    Salt Lake City 2002: Bud Greenspan's Stories of Olympic Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Athens 2004
    Bud Greenspan's Athens 2004: Stories of Olympic Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Turin 2006
    Bud Greenspan's Torino 2006: Stories of Olympic Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Beijing 2008
    The Everlasting Flame (dir. Gu Jun)

Vancouver 2010
    Bud Greenspan Presents Vancouver 2010: Stories of Olympic Glory (prods. Bud Greenspan, Nancy Beffa)

London 2012
    First (dir. Caroline Rowland)

Country
    Country Flag

https://gamesbids.com/eng/featured/p...location-plan/
    Paris has been officially awarded the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games and Los Angeles has been given the nod to host the event in 2028, marking the first time in almost a hundred years that two Summer Olympic Games have been awarded on a single day.

There were no surprises in Lima Wednesday and no envelope to tear open to reveal the winning city as instead the International Olympic Committee (IOC) ratified a tripartite agreement with Paris and Los Angeles that will see both cities host the Games for the third time each next decade. A unanimous show of hands made it so, while bid delegations were on hand to watch.

The agreement locks in Los Angeles as host city almost 11 years ahead of the Games Opening Ceremony, the longest time allotted to an organizing committee in history. Paris will host on the 100th anniversary of its previous Games.

The ratification followed the approval of the IOC Evaluation Commission report on the LA 2028 bid that was required after Los Angeles shifted gears from 2024 to instead bid for the 2028 Games, clearing the way for Paris. Both cities entertained IOC members with 25-minute presentations.

During Paris’ presentation, French IOC member Guy Drut spoke of “passing the torch” to Bid Co-Chair Tony Estanguet, hinting that he may go on to lead the future organizing committee. French President Emmanuel Macron offered his recorded remarks, promising continued strong support for the Paris Games.

The LA 2028 team were casual and relaxed, with Bid Chair Casey Wasserman promising a “unique brand of California cool.” Some on-stage delegates, including Wassermen, wore sneakers with their suits and ties.

Both Mayors Anne Hidalgo form Paris and Eric Garcetti from Los Angeles, who are personal friends, sent endless praise to each other during the presentations and promised ongoing cooperation between their organizing committees. Last year, when the cities were serious rivals, delegates often had the habit of exchanging subtle jabs during prepared remarks.

The race began early in 2015 with a different U.S. candidate but the abysmal public support for Boston forced that city to part ways with the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) who turned to Los Angeles instead just days before the application deadline. Three other cities entered the race including Budapest, Rome and Hamburg but those European cities dropped out after public and political push-back.

With both Paris and Los Angeles rated a “10” by IOC Evaluation Commission Chair Patrick Baumann after visits to the cities in May, Bach seized on the opportunity and proposed and engineered the tripartite deal that will secure “stability” for the Games for the next decade.

Baumann said Wednesday “With Paris and Los Angeles, the Olympic Games are in good hands.”

“It is low risk and high reward both for the Olympic Movement and Olympic cities.”

IOC Vice President John Coates who was key in drafting the tripartite arrangement said of the resuts “I think they must have seen the advantages, they see there will be no losers out of this, we know they’re two outstanding bids and it was an outstanding opportunity so we presented that opportunity to them and they accepted, so I’m very pleased.”

Paris will site events across iconic venues, and will build an Olympic Village along the Seine River at Saint-Denis. A new Olympic Aquatic Center and Media Village elements will be constructed to support the sports celebration.

Los Angeles’ plans include the use of the UCLA campus for the Olympic Village and will leverage all existing or temporary venues and infrastructure. This will remove costs and risks, allowing for better focus on the athletes experience, the bid has said.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Paris has been officially awarded the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games and Los Angeles has been given the nod to host the event in 2028...
    Since 2024 was whittled down to just Paris and LA, I have been praying for Paris. I live in the US, and it's just so damn dull when the olympics are here - no beautiful foreign scenery, no exotic cultural things to take in (and no exotic time zone challenges). So, I am quite happy to learn that they went with Paris.

...and not so happy about 2028. Oh well.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes and the architecture in foreign cities is so old and beautiful.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Yes. I love the sports, but the olympics offer so much more as a viewing experience if you can immerse yourself in it.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Yes. I love the sports, but the olympics offer so much more as a viewing experience if you can immerse yourself in it.
    Be that as it may, I'm still very happy the Olympics are finally coming back to US soil after 26 years (Salt Lake City), and Summer Olympics specifically after 32 years (Atlanta). That's a long time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast