Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite supporting characters.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Favorite supporting characters.

We've done this for all the supporting players in the DT books, and I figured why not for the rest of them?

We discuss our favorite main players, villains and even pets, but what about the Sherrif Pangborns and Henry Leydens? The Rational Richards and the Becca Paulsons?

Who's your favorite? Why?

I think I vote for Henry Leyden. He jsut seemed like he would be the coolest guy to burn through a pot or two of coffee and just shoot the breeze for hours.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I kinda liked Captain Curtis from Dreamcatcher. He just gave off that aura that makes him interesting to me. or some other Zen-y bullshit like that.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course, it's Black House's Henry Leyden! He was one of the best supporting character in ANY of King's books!

John

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Henry was great! And Wolf, I loved Wolf.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

*ahem* we're talking people here guys - people. non-humans are a whole other thread. ::whew:: i feel so much better now. (my ocd was kicking in i think).

so my first comment is i have trouble thinking of henry leyden from black house as a supporting character. just me though. i loved that man. it was so nice to see jack have a friend, a real friend. someone he could be close to. someone he could relax with and talk to. someone he could trust.
    Spoiler:
    man, henry and his voices. i was absolutely devastated when he died. i was so fucking positive jack would get there in time to save him. but no, just a tape. a fucking tape. ah, discordia.

anyway, onward brave souls. in the talisman my favorite supporting character was, surprise surprise, speedy. he really was a supporting character in my mind because he seemed to float in and out of jack's life so infrequently. but when he was there he almost always gave jack a much needed kick in the ass. and always told him what he could do. he made sure that jack knew when he needed to get up and get moving - in other words stop puling and start pulling.

next is kyra devore from bag of bones. i loved her from her entrance walking down the middle of the road, to playing football in the yard with mike
    Spoiler:
    don't taggle your own quartermack, i taggled my own quartermack

to
    Spoiler:
    awaiting her final resolution during the custody question
    she was such a delightful representation of childhood to me. so innocent yet knowing, touched by the outside but not affected by it. understanding the spaces between but not really caring about them. (i don't want to give too much away because if you haven't read this book you really must).

next is robbie lefferts (i have to check the spelling on this i think) from rose madder. i love that he
    Spoiler:
    gave rosie a street audition and she didn't even know what it was.
    i love that he told everyone he discovered her
    Spoiler:
    looking at old postcards in bill steiner's store when she was really trying to sell her engagement ring.
    i love that he was a true businessman and not some do-gooder
    Spoiler:
    in that he offered a contract that was beneficial to both of them and not just to her.
    but most of all, i love that he helped to give her a chance to survive in a strange city when she was scared and alone and working in a crappy hotel for little money. i guess it's the romantic in me.

okay, that's it for now. i'll be back though. count on it.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Henry Leyden is one of my top three. I also liked Wireman from Duma Key (was he supporting though, I'm thinking he was more of a main character? maybe si, maybe no). And of course, one of my all time favorites (human or not, Turtlesong ) was Wolf.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    Henry Leyden is one of my top three. I also liked Wireman from Duma Key (was he supporting though, I'm thinking he was more of a main character? maybe si, maybe no). And of course, one of my all time favorites (human or not, Turtlesong ) was Wolf.
    oh please. wolf was totally human. don't even start with me. he was more human than mr. "i'm-going-to-pour-some-sunshine-into-your-soul" ever fucking was!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

One of my favorites also comes from Black House... Armand "Beezer" St. Pierre. I would love to hang out with the Thunder Five.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    oh please. wolf was totally human. don't even start with me. he was more human than mr. "i'm-going-to-pour-some-sunshine-into-your-soul" ever fucking was!
    What a charming way to say it! Wolf still is my favourite supporting character, although I really liked Pangborn's character. But I bet no one can ever beat Wolf!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Henry Leyden can.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Since I usually prefer supporting characters that die soon in the story (or who end up dying anyway), I'd also add McVries from The Long Walk, that I liked way better than Garraty and Jimmy Coddy, the doctor from Salem's Lot that I'm sure every one else's forgotten.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm afraid no one can in my opinion, at least.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah yeah, Pangborn! I am just about to finish up Needful Things & I remember how much I like him.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Gunslinger Apprentice VastOne is on a distinguished road VastOne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I gotta go with Mother Abigail...From her visions and faith to her guitar playing and charming wit and strength, she has been a part of my life since I first met her in 1978. And although the tv abortion of The Stand is long forgotten, Ruby Dee played Mother Abigail just as I envisioned her.

My chiltons have called my mum grammalady as soon as they mastered the high speech

'but not for you Gunslinger, never for you. you darkle. you tinct. may I be brutally frank? You Go on.'

Demon of the Prim Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I really don't get here much, but I'd like to toss in Wireman..from Duma Key..there was something special about him...the same with the ones a lot of you mentioned..but there's something about Wireman that just hit me!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Rose View Post
    I really don't get here much, but I'd like to toss in Wireman..from Duma Key..there was something special about him...the same with the ones a lot of you mentioned..but there's something about Wireman that just hit me!!
    abso-goddam-lutely!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the main reason I like Henry Leyden more than Wireman was Wireman's usage of utterances such as "muchacho" and "maybe si, maybe no" so much. It began to grate on me. Other than that, though, he was great!

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I think the main reason I like Henry Leyden more than Wireman was Wireman's usage of utterances such as "muchacho" and "maybe si, maybe no" so much. It began to grate on me. Other than that, though, he was great!
    I just try to disregard them... it's generally Sai King's weak point, he greatly overdoes speech characteristics (when he bothers with them at all, that is), and in this particular case he did it in an especially conspicuous way... but Wireman is great anyway! (not greater than Henry, though, bears agree...)

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I only got into about five or six pages of dialog involving Wireman before returning Duma Key, but I have to agree with the sentiments, re: Leyden. He's definitely one of the most capitivating (minor) characters Stephen King created for a non-DT work of fiction.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

You should definately try to give it another shot Ruthful. It's a wonderful book.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    It's a wonderful book.
    Absolutely.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Ditto!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Fuck Adumbros is on a distinguished road Adumbros's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding

Sheemie Ruiz. he was the unpredicable foot on the accelerator, so to speak.

and on that note...i think i'm gonna bounce on outta here, peoples. food is calling me, and so is a cigarette with menthol crystals in it, and i really need to get this little girl outta my face before i do something i might regret down the line. "cute" is one thing. 13 y/o and trying to ply me with "feminine wiles"...that's just annoying.

so...dunno when i'll be back; it's gonna be a pretty decent reprieve, i imagine. for those of you who got used to seein me around, say sorry. i will return; i just can't say for sure when.

until then, y'all take care, much pimpaliciousness to all, and to all a pimp night!

laterz...

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

John Cullum. I'm not sure if anyone had as much of an impact (and future impact as we learn) as him in so few pages.
    I cant speak for any other SK books as I have yet to read any other

:ducks:

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And youve been on the website for over a year

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast