Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Twilight Saga

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

twilight is the heterosexual and far less entertaining version of Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicals
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Having not yet read it yet, I suspect you are correct.

Trust me, if I read it and deem it crap, my novel will be at her publisher's the very next day.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    twilight is the heterosexual and far less entertaining version of Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicals
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Having not yet read it yet, I suspect you are correct.

Trust me, if I read it and deem it crap, my novel will be at her publisher's the very next day.
    When I read Twilight I thought..."Wow, if she can be published so can I." I just haven't finished anything that I would send.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Hmmm I liked the Twilight series, but it was just "fluff" reading for me. Fun stuff to entertain me.

Sometimes King seems so arrogant to me. Maybe he's earned that right.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's funny...

The official MB is getting flooded by posts as such:

"OMG, Steven King is teh suq!! How can he said that Twilight is bad? Steven King is so last year! How can sum1 that only rights to scare the #)(@Q out of people say sumthing about sum1 else? How can he say he nos what teenage grrls want to reed?

It's fun reading them all
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

God, that was terrible grammar.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe they think they were texting?

John

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    It's funny...

The official MB is getting flooded by posts as such:

"OMG, Steven King is teh suq!! How can he said that Twilight is bad? Steven King is so last year! How can sum1 that only rights to scare the #)(@Q out of people say sumthing about sum1 else? How can he say he nos what teenage grrls want to reed?

It's fun reading them all
    thats funny, I would consider Carrie to be the definative text on teenage girl angst
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post
    Was the "meeooww" actually in the article or your addition?
    Nope, all copy/paste.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Twilight is pretty bad.
    I kind of agree with what Hannah said about it, "fluff." I read all four in about three days. The writing is not intelligent, the characters are not very developed and the novels fall into my personal book category of "Silly Little Girl Romance Books."

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

maybe i shoudl read it. it might boost my confidence as a writer

"Respect the Bumbler!" Billy-Bumbler is on a distinguished road Billy-Bumbler's Avatar

Go King! I'm glad he, too, hates the "Ultimate Chicky Fantasy Series"
    "Tough titty said the kitty"---Blaine the mono

"Why did the dead baby cross the road? Because he was stapled to the chicken!"- Eddie Dean

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think he's being any more arrogant than we are, when we discuss books on the board and declare that "so and so was utter crap!" The girls who have been responding to his comments are taking it far too personally, probably because they over related with the books characters - but that's just one of the many angst ridden trials and tribulations of being a teenager

My Mood
    Gay

Here's the thing, my take on it, since he used Jo Rowling as a counter-explaination of who he felt was a good tween-targetted writer, I didn't find it arrogant at all.

From the folks I've talked to who have read the whole Twilight series... they all pretty much agreed with Sai King.

They felt it was a "casual" or, as someone already stated, a "fluff" bit of writing - something to occupy their time and enjoyable, but not really ( please don't kill me for this ) art, per se.

I've read several pages ( yeah, I know, hard to comment on the series but ... ) and I was not impressed.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I, too, thought it was "fluff" reading, but it's so unfair to publicly slam her like that. It's just wrong. I know he's very opinionated, but, it's just wrong. If I were Ms Mayer, I would be hurt by it on a personal level. It was hitting below the belt. Just because it's fluff doesn't mean it is bad writing.
    But that just my opinion.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I don't find it the least bit arrogant or out of line. I think anyone in a creative field has the right to critique others in the same field. I don't think people should make up their minds about something just based on someone else's opinion but that doesn't mean I don't find those opinions interesting or valid. I'm sure many writers don't think King can write worth a darn, though they're all wrong, and I'm sure some have said so. I doubt King has lost much sleep over it. I doubt Meyer will care all that much that King dislikes her writing. He's not her publisher so ultimately, his opinion shouldn't matter all that much to her at all.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Every time I venture to this section to see what Mr.King said outside his books, I inevitably find out he put his foot in it. Which convinces me once again that everyone is great only in the field where he is great; not beyond.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    I, too, thought it was "fluff" reading, but it's so unfair to publicly slam her like that. It's just wrong. I know he's very opinionated, but, it's just wrong. If I were Ms Mayer, I would be hurt by it on a personal level. It was hitting below the belt. Just because it's fluff doesn't mean it is bad writing.
    But that just my opinion.
    No, it doesn't. I'm sure King would even concede this (though in his opinion it seems to be both). However when someone in any field puts their stuff out there for the world to see they must accept that there is going to be some criticism and some of it won't be constructive. In short I think by now she's probably become accustomed to it having done it a little while. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't hurt, but it's almost to be expected. My reaction to him would be sorry, you didn't like it, thanks for the $$$s. I hope you find something YOU like somewhere else.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

I believe there is such a thing as good fluff and bad fluff. Of course, it's a necessarily subjective thing so we all have differing ideas of what might qualify, but I have read things that are 'fluff' that while formulaic are still well written. I have never read 'Twilight' so I can't critique Meyer's writing, but I think King has no less right to say it's not good as it is every twelve year old girl's right to say it is. I don't think he should be judged more harshly because he's a famous writer. Being in a position to have your opinion known by large numbers of people doesn't mean you don't have as much right to express them as anyone else. I don't think any less of King for it.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Interestingly, many twilight fansites I came across when I googled "Stephen King on Twilight" seem to think Carrie is his only novel. It is always the one they reference. Also, sai King has painted a big bullseye on himself. There are some craaaazy fangirls out there.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I believe there is such a thing as good fluff and bad fluff. Of course, it's a necessarily subjective thing so we all have differing ideas of what might qualify, but I have read things that are 'fluff' that while formulaic are still well written. I have never read 'Twilight' so I can't critique Meyer's writing, but I think King has no less right to say it's not good as it is every twelve year old girl's right to say it is. I don't think he should be judged more harshly because he's a famous writer. Being in a position to have your opinion known by large numbers of people doesn't mean you don't have as much right to express them as anyone else.
    Absolutely. There's difference, however, between saying "I think it's shit" and saying that someone can't write. The latter implies that the one who says it knows what it is to know or not know how to write, that he possesses some Yardstick of the gods, applicable to anyone around him, which entitles him to objectivity in a field which is by definition subjective.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think King's statement was meant to be understood as subjective, at least implicitly. He strikes me as intelligent enough to know that he's only offering his own opinion, not an empirical argument to quantify her alleged incompetence.

My Mood
    Gay

Umm.... my friend ( a Twilighter ) was on the Twilight Fansites and found many people indicating they thought Sai King was "jealous" of Ms. Meyers. As in he wished he had her kind of popularity. *cough* Um, my friend did reply to them, that regardless of how many books SM writes... she's got quite the ways to go until she can claim Stephen King levels of readerships.

I think a big, big problem with the Twilighters is that many of them are young and have no clue what, or how many, books Sai King has written.

Kind of unbelievable actually.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, really Steve just wishes he had her fandom. Maybe in some decades...
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast