+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Twilight Saga

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Stephenie Meyer gives a really good description of Bella in Midnight Sun. So sad that it is only the first half of the book that she is willing to release. I'm hoping she'll change her mind and finish the book and have it published.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Yeah, I also picture Bella as less... graceful looking? Not that Kristen's super graceful looking, but she doesn't exude awkward clumsiness to me like I feel Bella should.

Also, have you seen Jacob? He's exactly how I pictured him... I'll find a picture.

It's so sad what happened with Midnight Sun.
    When I read it it changed my view of Edward quite a bit...

Oh, and here's Jacob:

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

What's Midnight Sun?

And ew to Jacob. He should be much hotter than that. I like him so much better than Edward. Give me Jacob anyday. He can keep me warm.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

I don't like that picture much either... the actor (Taylor Lautner) is so young though. Yikes.

Midnight Sun was a project Stephenie was working on. It was intended to be Twilight (the first novel) from Edwards perspective, but someone leaked an early draft of it online. Stephenie was crushed and decided to "suspend the project indefinitely."
    She did, however, ask her fans to stop looking for bootlegged versions and posted the rough draft on her official website. It's about 200 pages and really gives some interesting insight into Edward and the other Cullens.

I really enjoyed it and I'm sad she's (probably) not going to finish it.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

That sounds interesting. I'll have to go check it out.

OMG I'm so fucking excited for this damn movie.

Lunchroom movie clip:

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=...8-b74bafce2f75

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Oh, and it's interesting to point out that the books are super popular, especially amongst teenage girls. The 3rd book, Eclipse, sold more copies than the final Harry Potter novel.
    Hey Erin - Can you tell me where you found this info? About Eclipse outselling Harry?
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

So I just got back from the theater, and the movie was INCREDIBLE.
    The adaptation from book to film was great - I would say 90% accurate. Also, the big thing I really appreciated was that they didn't add a bunch of shit. With a few very minor exceptions, everything that was in the film was in the book in some form or other.

I thought Kristen Stewart played a great Bella (but she wasn't as annoying as Bella in the books = good thing). Rob Pattinson was perfect as Edward. I was a little iffy at the beginning, but he grew on me and ended up adding some great personality and humor to the character.

Overall great. I would rate it very highly. Go see it.

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, my best friend got me Twilight for X-mas, and I begged my son's girlfriend to borrow the other three. I finished all four books in a week! There should be a warning label on the cover of those books warning you how friggin' addictive they are!!! I read Breaking Dawn in one sitting. I literally could not put it down! Stephanie Meyer should be arrested for peddling crack...it's crack on paper, that's what it is!

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I just started reading these on Friday...OMG!! I finished the first one in a little over 24 hours, bought the second one yesterday and 200 pages into it. I haven't seen the third one anywhere in my area. Will have to go on a hunt. At least reading will be a little slower now since I have to work all day.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Amused

Once you can get past the whiny teenage angst in the first book it's smooth sailing.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

But it wasn't like that at all for me, I am a sap for that stuff! LOL
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Amused

I think that it was just really bad in the first book - after that it becomes so much better, and seriously addicting!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

My daughter bought me the CD version so I could listen to it. I'll have to do all 4 of course now.

I really keep wanting someone to get their head ripped off but that's just how I am...other than that, I think the writing is really good. I always know that when I'm reading (or listening) and the author writes something that makes me nod my head and smile.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Stephen King: "[Author of 'Twilight'] can't write worth a darn."

I never really paid attentiong to Stephen King outside of books enough to know whether or not he's actually criticized other authors. But I found this at Yahoo news.

Stephen King On 'Twilight' Author: 'Stephenie Meyer Can't Write Worth A Darn'
    By Access Hollywood
    1 hour, 26 minutes ago

Getty ImagesAccess Hollywood LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Stephen King's opinion may drive a stake through the heart of "Twilight" author, Stephenie Meyer.

In an interview with USA Weekend, the bestselling author compared Meyer with J.K. Rowling , the author of the Harry Potter series.

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Robert Pattinson- Hollywood's Hottest Vampire!

According to Stephen, "Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good."

Meeooww!

While Stephen may not be a fan of Stephenie's writing, he understands the appeal of the series.

"People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it's very clear that she's writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It's exciting and it's thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because it's not overtly sexual."

He further explains, "A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that's a shorthand for all the feelings that they're not ready to deal with yet."

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Was the "meeooww" actually in the article or your addition?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

oh snaps!
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

Traveler necromanticize is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I always wondered what he thought of SMeyer.
    I knew he loved JKR and a lot of people compare the two series so I was interested to know his take.

And I am amused.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

oh shit.
    hide the page before Noel Sheppard makes it look like King thinks teenage girls can't read

My Mood
    Lurking

That's not nice.....

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's the link

February 02, 2009

Exclusive: Stephen King on J.K. Rowling, Stephenie Meyer

I'm working on my big American Icons cover story on Stephen King today, and it could almost fill up two full issues. King gave me so much good stuff: He's a truly fascinating guy, and he had so many great stories and takes on things. When I flew up to Maine to talk to him in December, we got into a discussion of popular authors vs. the academic elite, a subject he has strong opinions about, and I asked him if his mainstream success over the past 35 years paved the way for the massive careers of Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling and Twilight author Stephenie Meyer. Click read more for King's feelings about those two as well as some other best-selling authors. And remember to check out my cover story on King in the March 6-8 issue of USA WEEKEND.

Photo courtesy of Simon & Schuster

King, whose Stephen King Goes to the Movies collection came out last week, doesn’t know how much of an influence he had on Meyer, but he does know that Rowling read his stuff when she was younger. "I think that has some kind of formative influence the same way reading Richard Matheson had an influence on me," King explains. "People always say to me, 'Well, what about H.P. Lovecraft?' And the thing was, you read Lovecraft when you were a kid but I never felt that he was speaking my language. It was chillier than my heart was, and when Matheson started to write about ordinary people and stuff, that was something that I wanted to do. I said, 'This is the way to do it. He’s showing the way.' I think that I serve that purpose for some writers, and that’s a good thing. Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

But then King recalls that when his mom was alive, she read all the Erle Stanley Gardner books, the Perry Mason mysteries, obsessively when he was growing up. "He was a terrible writer, too, but he was very successful," King says. "Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What's Twilight?????? I havn't heard of it.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    That's not nice.....
    sorry were you referring to my comment or to stephen king's?

My Mood
    Lurking

Steve's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast