Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: The Twilight Saga

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Here's question I have as I haven't read any of the books...

Spoiler:
    Apparently in the second book, when Edward thinks Bella is dead, he plans on committing suicide by standing in the sun. However, if vampires just glitter in the sun in this universe instead of burning up like a respectable vampire would, how would that kill him?
    Spoiler:
    he doesn't stand in the sun to kill himself. he intends to stand in the sun, revealing himself as a vampire to humans to cause the volturi to kill him for exposing the secret.
    that much I get!

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Here's question I have as I haven't read any of the books...

Spoiler:
    Apparently in the second book, when Edward thinks Bella is dead, he plans on committing suicide by standing in the sun. However, if vampires just glitter in the sun in this universe instead of burning up like a respectable vampire would, how would that kill him?
    Spoiler:
    he doesn't stand in the sun to kill himself. he intends to stand in the sun, revealing himself as a vampire to humans to cause the volturi to kill him for exposing the secret.

Ahh, ok. Thanks.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    you find out the answer to your question towards the end of eclipse.
    Alright I got it! I do understand it and it's not lame like I thought the explanation was going to be. HOWEVER....
    Spoiler:
    so..Alice can see the actual physical movement of somebody? So whenever the book makes the comment "well when a person changes their MIND then the future changes" has nothing to do with the mental decision to change your mind and only what physically happens? Am I getting the explanation correct?

My Mood
    Amused

Spoiler:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH....

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Nice.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    Spoiler:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH....

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I saw New Moon yesterday! What a great movie! Loved the ending! Totally awsome!! Can't wait til Saturday to geek out all over again and see it again!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Last summer I was looking for movies to watch, and by chance I chose The Twilight between a friend's rented DVDs. I didn't like it but didn't hate it either. It was ok and helped me to pass time. Then the second movie came out, and with the instict that curiosity causes, I watched it too. The ending of the second movie awaken the curiosity so I decided to read rest. So I didn't read the first two books. Eclipse and Breaking Dawn were not pieces of art, as I have guessed, poorly written, easy read. Still I don't feel regretful about reading them; I had to learn if Bella would turn into a vampire or not.

really?

i loved the whole third portion of that book.

i could have done without the jacob stuff, but other than that, it's my favourite.
    Yeah, I think the best part of the series was the last one. It didn't disturb me to read it from Jacob's point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I just visited the bookstore at my old alma mater (Kent State University) and discovered that Twilight is required reading in one of the English courses!

John
    John, if I were a person teaching English to non-native speakers, I would recommend my beginner students Twilight to keep them on reading. Too many negative feedbacks on the writing quality of the books, but that means many people are still reading them to the ending.

And, I am so happy Meyer has written such a story that forces a creativity to rise from some people. Here are some examples: *and also my favorites*
    Spoiler:

Last edited by Melike; 07-30-2010 at 03:16 AM.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Melike, where did you find that Edward and Jareth one, I love it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Those are all on a Facebook page a friend has joined recently. It had a long name. Let me look for it.

*edit*

I found it here:
    Edward Cullen is a fictional character and he will never love you.
    Last edited by Melike; 07-30-2010 at 03:14 AM.

My Mood
    Amused

LOL

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Twilight series

Because there isn't a thread for this, I decided to start one.

And being the first post in a thread dedicated to the series, it probably should be a good post right? Sorry.

I've never seen one of these movies yet. And I know I shouldn't prejudge. Is it hypocritical of me? I got mad at people for saying the Star Trek movie sucks on only watching the movie trailer.

But I don't know what it is. I just don't get it.

Scratch that, I know what it is. Mostly it's the guys who abhore everything this movie is about. And maybe it's just that jealousy coming out of me. Because when I think of the Twilight series I think of all my bad experiences in high school. I was a nerd. Surprised? And what always, always made me shake my head in disgust was how one of two guys would always get the girls' attention: a.) the shirtless boy-whore or b.) the douchebag.

I would actually throw my hands up and roll my eyes when going to a dance club and the crowd actually parts when a group of muscular guys in wifebeaters show up. I'm like, "Ah, shit, here comes the shirtless boywhores, here to cockblock the entire dancefloor."

But let's not forget the douchebags. They would come into the class... It was always like the "new kid", right? The girls were like, "Oooooh, he'th tho mythteriouth. The way hith hat coverth hith eyeth." Yeah, the hat! Remember the hat? The way they'd wear it like way down so the bill covers their eyes. And, awe, oh, he's so quiet. A shy guy, is the kinda guy who will only be mine. No, the vamps in the movie didn't wear hats. But it's the same deal. They sort of tried to emulate James Dean or something. You know the kid leaning against the wall, one foot propped up, tousled hair, silk shirt blowing in the breeze, dark eyes, "Hey.... I wrote you a poem."

And they've made an entire movie series glorifying the two biggest cockblock types in the world. The douchebags playing the part of the vampires, and the shirtless boywhores as the werewolves.

Now you know the answer to your question: Dude, why do you even care about a stupid movie you probably won't even see? Because I see them everywhere. I'm not going to stop going to Burger King just because I'm forced to thumb Taylor Lautner's nipples whenever I'm drinking some coke. But he's there on the side of my cup and yes, that makes me hate the Twilight series with passion.
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Twilight follows the standard formula:

1. Pick something that is huge right now (vampires)
    2. Find suitable Material (teenage books, written by hack writers)
    3. Cast young attractive stars
    4. Advertise the heck out of it
    5. Disregard paying for good directors or screen writers
    6. Pump out each movie faster than the last one
    7. Make progressively worse movies that make progressively more money
    8. Make sure the focus of the movies is a love story so teenage girls will love it, ensuring males get hooked into seeing it, thus making more money than ever imagined.

I won't see the movies. I know they are bad. Don't need to see them. I can guarantee the acting is mediocore at best. I can guarantee you can't pump out a good movie in 8 months. Yes, New Moon went into theatres last October I think and the next one took 3/4 of a year to release. The CGI looks terrible. The previews are nothing but random images and quotes from terrible sources saying it's the best movie of the summer. Maybe if I was 14 and had a sea of estrogen swimming through my body I would love this. But I don't and I refuse to give these studios even a cent of my money to fuel the terrible movies that makes hundreds of millions of dollars machine that means studios greenlight more crap movies that make more money than a quality movie like The Road ever possibly could.

Twilight is a prime example on why people who give a damn about making good movies need to get into Hollywood and why executives need to realize that if they made less junk and helped promote quality movies instead of Grown Ups for 8 weeks on television (you know a movie is bad when they advertise it for so long) the actual good movies would make more money.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, look, that's another thing. I'm a big defender of CGI. Well, not big, like I jack off to it or anything. But if done with the ambition to make it look real and if they're successful, yes, it's good.

But... who's doing the cgi for these movies? It looks like one of the bad syfy channel movies. They look like cartoons! I can't even fathom what's going on offscreen, "Uh, yeah, make the wolves using cgi, but, uh, they don't have to be perfect. Teenyboppers don't care about sfx. So, you can, you can relax on this one."
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

There is a thread for it here

So, I would like to ask the masters of this domain to merge these two threads together.

Second, just because you don't like it what gives you the right to base it (and if you cite the fifth amendment I will ban your ass!!! )

There are MILLIONS of people worldwide who LOVE these books and movies and HELL YEAH, I am one of them!!

They are NEVER going to be Lord of The Rings or To Kill a Mockingbird, but they are still loved by millions!

And Mattrick, you seem to know an AWFUL lot about a series of movies that you don't ever want to see!!!! I think you closetly LOVE THEM!! j/k
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    There are MILLIONS of people worldwide who LOVE these books and movies and HELL YEAH, I am one of them!!
    As some wag posted on Twitter: Twilight is like the World Cup: They run around for two hours, nobody scores, and billions of fans claim you don't understand.

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Twilight follows the standard formula:

1. Pick something that is huge right now (vampires)
    2. Find suitable Material (teenage books, written by hack writers)
    3. Cast young attractive stars
    4. Advertise the heck out of it
    5. Disregard paying for good directors or screen writers
    6. Pump out each movie faster than the last one
    7. Make progressively worse movies that make progressively more money
    8. Make sure the focus of the movies is a love story so teenage girls will love it, ensuring males get hooked into seeing it, thus making more money than ever imagined.
    1. Vampires weren't huge until Meyer decided they were. Not to mention that Edward isn't exactly a vampire. He can't sleep, for one thing (I'm fairly certain that the desire to sleep during the day is a steeple of vampire mythos). On top of that, he's able to read minds. And the most ridiculous bit of vampire mythos that Meyer completely rapes is their inability to cope with sunlight. I'm sure all Twilight fan have heard this before, but tell me: where, in the long history of vampire mythos have you ever seen a vampire sparkle? Sunlight makes their body necrotic, not sparkle. Just a quick second of direct sunlight and vampire's bodies begin to die... very quickly.

Werewolves weren't exactly popular either, but they aren't exactly werewolves, are they? They're humans who have the ability to transform into wolves at will. Werewolves are not humans that simply turn into wolves on a whim (nor do they simply turn into wolves).

Just like Edward breaks all definitions of "vampire" except for the most basic (sucks blood), Jacob breaks all definitions of "werewolf" except for the most basic (can turn into a wolf... which still isn't accurate to the term "werewolf").

2. I find it ridiculous that Twilight has been considered to be too racy for younger readers, yet the sentence structure and verbiage used by Meyer is at an eighth grade level. The story is a two-bit knock-off of any serious vampire tale, and it's intended for younger girls. Shit, the whole book is an allegory for Mormonism!

3. I don't find any actor in Twilight films to be attractive in the least bit. I'm bisexual and I don't find a single one attractive. I'm nineteen. What does that tell you about their target audience (teens)?

4. It's way too overboard. I am so sick of seeing Twilight memorabilia everywhere I go!

5. No screenwriter in the world is good enough to fix the cluster-fuck that is Meyer's dialogue. I will admit that the direction is fantastic (in terms of camera angles and whatnot). I have no problem with the cinematography from a director's stand-point. The acting is awful, but I mean, come on... no director can fix shitty acting any better than Catherine Hardwicke has.

6. I can understand the movies being done quickly. Have you seen the font and margin sizes in the books? They're more like short stories than novels!

7. It's not that the films get worse, it's just that they're shoved down our throats so much more as time goes on that the movies get that much more annoying.

8. Every girl wants an Edward or a Jacob, plain and simple. It's awful.

By the way, Stephen King has stated his position on Meyer and her books very clearly (taken from Wikipedia; sources can be found in the footnotes on the Stephenie Meyer page): While comparing Meyer to J. K. Rowling, Stephen King stated, "the real difference [between J. K. Rowling and Meyer] is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer, and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good." King described the Twilight series saying that "people are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it's very clear that she's writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It's exciting and it's thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because it's not overtly sexual."

If you want an actual vampire novel that accurately represents the mythos, read 'Salem's Lot or I Am Legend. If you want some mindless dribble that's only worth is to soak up time and give mild enjoyment with no real substance, read Twilight.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And what do you think about Rice's vampires?

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I guess I'll bump the trend, I agree the first book should not have been read (to much girly crap). Saying that I LOVED the last three. The final book is epic and the whole series would have been even better if the "love story" had been chopped down to a few sentences a chapter. It had blood suckers, spirit shifters and fights. Maybe the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies guy could rewrite it to just be blood suckers, shifters and fights and be a perfectly indulgent tale! I only read them because they were at the house, in my defense.

Traveler SusanDelgado is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I absolutely loved the novels. Though the spins on vampires and their societies and ways of life are definitely out there, Stephanie Meyer wrote their world and the characters lives intoxicatingly well. The movies, however, are not what I expect them to be from my experiences reading the four books in the Twilight series.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

this series, i did actually read in (2009) summer actaully, my mom was reading the series. i can't remember if i've said this here already if i have i apologize. i can never remember. he he anyways, she read it, & enjoyed it. & she said i wouldn't like it. so i took that as a challenge. as i've done in the past. when the book "Disclosure" came out way back in the early 90's. i was told i wouldn't like it. & i fell in love with it. it's i think M.C. best book that i've read of his. & i haven't actaully read that many of his. anyways.

the 1st book was a decent book i don't think it deserved a sequel though. nor a movie either. it was poorly written i agree. the 2nd one is a LOT better i think. i also think she could have cut back a LOT on the love story. cause who talks like that? anyways, the 3rd one i liked i just thought it had a shitty ending. but the 4th one i loved. in short the 2nd one & the 4th one are the best ones. i read the last one in like a week & a half i think? maybe a week? i hadn't read a book that long in YEARS! that damn fast!

they are easy reads. & that was nice for a damn change. the books are a good & fast read. if you want that. but they aren't as good as people claim they are. at least i don't think they are.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't believe I was the one who started this thread.

Anyhoo, I still enjoy the series. They were quick, fun reads for me.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9