Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Whose death was the hardest on you?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jake Chambers

60 26.55%
  • Eddie Dean

78 34.51%
  • Oy

57 25.22%
  • Sheemi Ruiz

1 0.44%
  • Susan Delgado

20 8.85%
  • Gabriel Deschain

0 0%
  • Randall Flagg

6 2.65%
  • Father Callahan

4 1.77%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: Have you cried during the quest? ***END OF SERIES Spoilers***

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Oh man, Jake and Eddie's deaths were the hardest to read.

I remember reading the part with Eddie getting shot, and it made me think about the fact that, I was so engrossed in the story, I didn't even think about the possibility of any of them dying. After Eddie died, I felt so on edge, just knowing it would get worse.

Traveler bumhug66 is on a distinguished road

I cried my eyes out when Oy died because he had such an awful death. His heart was so heavy with the loss of Jake but he kept his promise to his friend and master and was brave to the end

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will not read this thread again. Spammers can roam free here.

Every fucking time I come here, someone breaks my heart again, as if the first time - when I read the book itself - wasn't enough.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John F. Kennedy Chantarelle is on a distinguished road

Hell yeah I've cried. These days, it doesn't take much for me to do that. Even reading this thread will bring a tear. But back when I read DT7 for the first time, I'd never cried while reading. Didn't think it was possible. But when Jake died I cried like a baby. I now have a no Dark Tower in public rule. Not that I was in public then. I have however been at a friends place during a re-read, and she walked in while I was up to that exact spot. How sad must it have looked, me curled up around a big dark book, weeping like a child. Not that I care if it looks sad, but nobody else should have to see it.

I'm now about half way through the last book, and think I must be subconsciously putting it off. I think as soon as the battle's done, and Sai King says something along the lines of take a good look at these people while they're happy with their victory, I'll be a goner for a day or two

I hate Roland

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, don't we all...

I feel better about Roland today. But I'd hit Sai King myself with a blue van if I could

Oh, and is it a bit freaky that (one?) of my 19th posts was I hate Roland? And on halloween and everything....

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

No, we don't all hate Roland. I don't for one.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bumhug66 View Post
    I cried my eyes out when Oy died because he had such an awful death. His heart was so heavy with the loss of Jake but he kept his promise to his friend and master and was brave to the end
    Oy's death was the hardest for me even though we see it coming from many books before, although I didn't know it was going to end up happening the way it did in Roland's vision in the Pink Grapefruit.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post
    Not for a moment, Mattqhew?

"Love-hate, hate-love, like for mama, no?"
    "I didn't hate my mother, it was an accident!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

Angry at his choices and actions at times, hate, no.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

I too wish Roland would have made different choices sometimes but I don't hate him. Quite the opposite. I love Roland, absolutely and always, despite and because of his flaws.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't hate him, either.
    Angry, yes; sometimes even mad at him. Occasionally sorry for him. But there has never been a moment when I hated him.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

I don't hate him either. But on that particular day I was very, very angry at him. If it weren't for him,
    Spoiler:
    Eddie wouldn't have died.
    I just needed to vent my anger.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chantarelle View Post
    I don't hate him either. But on that particular day I was very, very angry at him. If it weren't for him,
    Spoiler:
    Eddie wouldn't have died.
    I just needed to vent my anger.
    I can empathize with that, especially the venting part! Sometimes ya just gotta do it.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Along the Path of the Beam twice is on a distinguished road twice's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

1. Eddie Dean 2. Oy 3. Jake hit me the hardest. didn't cry but took some deep breaths when Eddie and Oy died.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes!
    When I thought Frodo was dead I was balling. Oh.. sorry....wrong quest?

Along the Path of the Beam twice is on a distinguished road twice's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Frodo died?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by twice View Post
    Frodo died?
    Relax, he went to the Gray Havens"!!!
    Spoiler:
    Gollum did bite the dust though. LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler tufagon is on a distinguished road tufagon's Avatar

Default Doooo!

I cried Eddie Jake and Oi died. I cried when we had the moments of ecstasy like the rose is the lot or the choirs singing. But what was much worse was the rending heartache (not indigestion) when the pending fate for Roland is presented in the later books. I was so upset by the sadness of it I had to re-read the following pages as my heart had todashed my brain to the dark space of despair.

Traveler Jonny Five is on a distinguished road Jonny Five's Avatar

While the deaths of the Ka-tet were all brutal emotionally, the one place where I actually cried was in WOTC when Jake has to decide to leave Oy with Cantab. And not when I read it either, but when I listened to the audiobook. George Guidall's telling of Jake & Oy's goodbye scene was absolutely heartbreaking. I'm thinking of Oy saying "Taaaab" right now and I'm tearing up. Oy in emotional pain... far too sad. Cause say what you will, but Oy was arguably the most powerful character besides Roland. Steadfast till the end. "Oland".

Country
    Country Flag

now bears are crying...

Traveler Ake, Ake! will become famous soon enough Ake, Ake!'s Avatar

I just finished the books on audio and yes, I cried, a bunch. I often listen as I am walking my dog. I happened to be on a street with a lot of foot traffic when Eddie died and I burst into tears. I'm sure people thought I was a lunatic. I got home and kept listening, an hour later when Jake died I lost it again.

Knowing SK and considering the quest I knew full well that anyone was up for grabs and they might all die. But I was not expecting the timing or the order and they both hit my pretty hard.

Traveler Ake, Ake! will become famous soon enough Ake, Ake!'s Avatar

Holy crap that got me too. I also listened to the books. At first I was upset when the narrator switched. Oy didn't sound right to me for the longest time. Fortunately my ears had adjusted by that point.

John F. Kennedy KatetOfNineteen will become famous soon enough KatetOfNineteen's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read quite a few book series that I got emotionally attached to characters. Nothing comparable to the Dark Tower series. When Eddie died I was home alone and bawled like a little baby for an hour. It hit me really hard, Jake's death was too predictable and I did cry but nothing like Eddie's death. I'm not yet to Oy's death as I'm now finishing the book. I have a feeling it will get to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast