Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Cover Songs

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Is that that new song that I keep hearing on the radio that says sweet home alabama in it? If so, I really can't stand it, it drives me crazy.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oooh I thought of another good one earlier today.

The White Stripes version of Jolene (Dolly Parton) is awesome!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Deftones cover of "Jealous Guy" is awesome!
    My only complaint is that Chino's f'n vocals aren't louder.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Me First and the Gimme Gimme's cover of Country Roads: (I am in love!)

The original version of the song was played at my grandmother's funeral, so the 'rocked out' version of this song really holds a special place in my heart. Every time I listen to it, I wish my grandmother was still alive to hear it. She would have thought it was awesome.

Gunslinger Apprentice Armand St Pierre is on a distinguished road Armand St Pierre's Avatar

great cover songs
    Baker Street~Foo fighters (original by Jerry Rafferty)
    Long Tall Sally~ The Beatles (original by Little Richard)
    Asshole~Tom Petty (original by Beck)
    Across The Universe~ Fiona Apple (original by The Beatles)
    Hotel California~The Gipsy Kings (original by The Eagles)
    I Put A Spell On You~Marilyn Manson (original by Screamin' Jay Hawkins) Mr. Manson really made this his on the Lost Highway soundtrack.......there is also another version by Nina Simone that is equally delectable.
    HORRIBLE and should never have been attempted in the first place
    American Pie~Madonna (original by Don McLean) I couldn't possibly say enough bad things about this cover.
    so bad, in fact, that I don't need to post another
    “A Human Thought is an actual EXISTENCE, and a Force and Power, capable of acting upon and controlling matter as well as mind.”

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

"God always punishes us for what we can't imagine."
    SK

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Another Brick in the Wall - Keller Williams
    In a Big Country - moe.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Looking for a good Beatles' cover?

Try Wilson Pickett's version of "Hey Jude".

Not only does the song feature the amazing soulful vocals of Mr. Pickett, but it features an absolutely stunning guitar outro-solo from a guitar player who at the time was virtually unknown, one Duane Allman. That guitar part was a huge influence on almost all future soul/R&B recordings.

Good: "Don't Do It" - The Band (originally "Baby Don't You Do It" by Marvin Gaye)

Bad: "Baby Don't You Do It' - The Who (same original as above)

The original is a great song (duh, it's Marvin Gaye). The Band's version is awesome, particularly Levon Helm's vocals. The Who's version is downright awful. They tried to turn it into a rocker and pretty much killed the song.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bluenose is on a distinguished road Bluenose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Looking for a good Beatles' cover?

Try Wilson Pickett's version of "Hey Jude".

Not only does the song feature the amazing soulful vocals of Mr. Pickett, but it features an absolutely stunning guitar outro-solo from a guitar player who at the time was virtually unknown, one Duane Allman. That guitar part was a huge influence on almost all future soul/R&B recordings.
    Duane ROCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
    Duane ROCKS!
    He certainly did.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bluenose is on a distinguished road Bluenose's Avatar

one of my greatest musical regrets is that I never got the chance to see the Allman Bros in their prime, with Duane and Berry Oakley. I was lucky enough to see them at the Beacon in NY in 2006 (its a hell of a long way from Belfast, let me tell you!) and it was an amazing gig. Have you read Skydog?

Havent made my way into the Grateful Dead yet, though I'm getting there, slowly!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
    one of my greatest musical regrets is that I never got the chance to see the Allman Bros in their prime, with Duane and Berry Oakley. I was lucky enough to see them at the Beacon in NY in 2006 (its a hell of a long way from Belfast, let me tell you!) and it was an amazing gig. Have you read Skydog?

Havent made my way into the Grateful Dead yet, though I'm getting there, slowly!
    I wish I could have seen them at that point too, but as I was only 3 when Duane died, this obviously could not have happened. I did see them MANY times in the early-mid 1990's (I lost count after 30 shows, but it's a few more than that) including several of their legendary Beacon runs. This was during the Dickie Betts/Warren Haynes years. Though I never got to see Berry Oakley play, I did get to see many shows with the late great Allen Woody on bass. That was very much a musical highlight.

I have read Skydog and thought it was an excellent book.

I hope when you get around to listening to the Dead you enjoy it. If you are a fan of the ABB, I would definitely recommend starting with the 1965-1972 era of the Dead first. This is when they were still primarily a blues band led by the phenomenal Ron "Pigpen" McKernan.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

BAD: "American Pie"- Madonna

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Jayson, I was just going thru some music on my computer and came across a cover Tori did of Karma Police. Do you happen to know if she's covered other songs by Radiohead?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Hi Heather. To my knowledge, no she hasn't. If she has than my wife has yet to come across it anywhere because she's as big a RH fan as I am and she'd surely have played it for me. There are certainly many songs of theirs I think would be interesting to hear her give a shot - not the least of which would be "Like Spinning Plates" but I don't know of any she's actually done to date besides "Karma Police."

On another note, I came into this thread to give props to the CAKE version of "Sad Songs & Waltzes" which was written and originally recorded by Willie Nelson. CAKE's guitar player Xan McCurdy has a very good feel for country-esque slide guitar and this is a song where it really shows.

I forgot about "Sad Songs and Waltzes" (Hell, any Cake is good in my book)

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I forgot about "Sad Songs and Waltzes" (Hell, any Cake is good in my book)
    They do so few covers that I wanted to give them credit for this one because I think they do such a nice job with it. Their version of "Strangers In the Night" I'm not particularly fond of.

It's a little 'choppy' sounding isn't it? I can see why you'd say that.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Good
    "Zombie" by Miser (originally the Cranberries)
    "All Along the Watchtower" by Hendrix (originally by Bob Dylan - Hendrix's is so much better though)
    "Bad Fish" by Jack Johnson (originally by Sublime)
    "Imagine" by DMB and Blues Traveler (originally Lennon)

Bad
    "Personal Jesus" by Marilyn Manson (originally by Depeche Mode)
    "Another Brick in the Wall" by Korn (originally Pink Floyd)
    "Big Yellow Taxi" by Counting Crows (originally Joni Mitchell) - when this song was popular I literally heard it at least four times a day. Gag me.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

That's pretty much it exactly. I think they tried to make it sound a bit too "Cakey" for lack of a better word, by using a lot of the sounds they use on many of their own songs. It just came off a little half-assed. The CAKE formula can work on many cover songs, for instance their version of "Mahna Mahna" is a lesson in how to make a song sound like a CAKE song, but it doesn't work all the time. Still, I like the vast majority of their work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    "All Along the Watchtower" by Hendrix (originally by Bob Dylan - Hendrix's is so much better though)
    Even Dylan agrees on that one. He's said many times that Jimi's is the quintessential version of that song.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Even Dylan agrees on that one. He's said many times that Jimi's is the quintessential version of that song.
    Dylan knows when to give it up.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I like Korn, but this cover was horrible. Another Pink Floyd cover that really gets on my nerves is Run Like Hell by Kittie...it's just...bleh

Dylan knows when to give it up.
    Definitely. He's covered so many songs in his career that he knows a good cover when he hears one.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I like Korn, but this cover was horrible. Another Pink Floyd cover that really gets on my nerves is Run Like Hell by Kittie...it's just...bleh
    The Floyd are a band that it's best not to cover. It almost never comes off very well unless the band does a straight cover and then it begs the question of what's the point of doing the song exactly like the original when the original was done so well in the first place.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Beautifully stated *tear*.

Also, I LVE Cradle of Filth's cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name (Iron Maiden), I like it even better than the original. That gasmask effect in the beginning, and the way Danny growls "I'm waiting , in my cold cell..." kicks 19 different kinds of ass.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast