Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: What do you feel about this fella?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oh, I liked him.

11 30.56%
  • He is okay but I wouldn't like to have a coffee with him for long.

10 27.78%
  • He was hardly bearable.

6 16.67%
  • I couldn't stand him at all.

9 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Calvin Tower

Gunslinger Apprentice lisaki is on a distinguished road lisaki's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You said that
    Spoiler:
    Roland and Eddie told the old guys to go and save Callahan when they visited them to write and get the contract about the rose and the vacant lot

I can't remember that, are you sure? (probably I didn't notice, it isn't important anyway...)
    Thank you

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted hardly bearable he was such an stubborn prick! It was this that annoyed me the most especially when I was wanted the tet back together and they had to arse about sorting out Calvin because he wasnt very good at staying hidden.

That said not everyhting for Roland's tet can and did go right so maybe it is fitting!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lisaki View Post
    You said that
    Spoiler:
    Roland and Eddie told the old guys to go and save Callahan when they visited them to write and get the contract about the rose and the vacant lot

I can't remember that, are you sure? (probably I didn't notice, it isn't important anyway...)
    Thank you
    You are right.
    I re-read that part and neither Eddie nor Roland told them to do so. Eddie mentioned the ring, he asked if Aaron had a ring with 'Ex Libris' on it so he might have given Aaron the idea to buy it but in fact they had never told the two men to save Callahan.
    So I guess it was accidental. Or ka. Whichever you prefer.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Dae-Su View Post
    You are right.
    I re-read that part and neither Eddie nor Roland told them to do so. Eddie mentioned the ring, he asked if Aaron had a ring with 'Ex Libris' on it so he might have given Aaron the idea to buy it but in fact they had never told the two men to save Callahan.
    I prefer the Ka explanation, but I believe that Stephen King just forgot to tell us...
    Or... they might have told
    Spoiler:
    Johh Cullum when they had the convertation about the TET corporation in DTVII. We don't "hear" everything they say, just a summary from Cullum by the end of it.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lisaki View Post
    You are right.
    I prefer the Ka explanation, but I believe that Stephen King just forgot to tell us...
    Or... they might have told
    Spoiler:
    Johh Cullum when they had the convertation about the TET corporation in DTVII. We don't "hear" everything they say, just a summary from Cullum by the end of it.
    Forgot to tell us?! In this case there are TONS of things SK forgot to tell us and if he hadn't forgotten to tell us the saga would contain 24 books. (I wouldn't mind it a bit.)

Country
    Country Flag

Forgot to tell us?! In this case there are TONS of things SK forgot to tell us and if he hadn't forgotten to tell us the saga would contain 24 books. (I wouldn't mind it a bit.)
    Well not 24... but 19 books maybe? Yeah I wouldn't mind at all

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Give me 19 books pleez!! Wouldn't mind a bit

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

19, none of the 12 we're regrettably missing any shorter than The Waste Lands or DT7... put together...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    I liked him in The Wastelands when Jake first met him. But, gods, I wanted him to die in SoS.... wasn't he in WotC too? Yeah, that's when i stopped liking him. I didn't even bother to feel bad for him that Kind turned him into a selfish prick. I just started to dislike him.
    I largely agree with this. He was a very charming character in the Waste Lands and a friend to Jake in the few minutes they were together in the shop. It was a shame in some ways that he turned into a greedy old man, yet most understandable too. He was infuriating, but I never stopped liking him altogether.
    I think under normal circumstances Calvin was probably a nice guy although obsessive about books but most who met him would just see the laid back gentleman that Jake first ran into in The Wastelands. Later we saw the other side of him when he was being cornered and scared to death by the bad choices he had made in his life which in turn brought out the worst in him.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    I liked him in The Wastelands when Jake first met him. But, gods, I wanted him to die in SoS.... wasn't he in WotC too? Yeah, that's when i stopped liking him. I didn't even bother to feel bad for him that Kind turned him into a selfish prick. I just started to dislike him.
    I largely agree with this. He was a very charming character in the Waste Lands and a friend to Jake in the few minutes they were together in the shop. It was a shame in some ways that he turned into a greedy old man, yet most understandable too. He was infuriating, but I never stopped liking him altogether.
    I think under normal circumstances Calvin was probably a nice guy although obsessive about books but most who met him would just see the laid back gentleman that Jake first ran into in The Wastelands. Later we saw the other side of him when he was being cornered and scared to death by the bad choices he had made in his life which in turn brought out the worst in him.
    I totally agree.
    It's like marrying someone... to know someone or to live with them... totally different stories.
    I think Calvin was liked by many people because they didn't see the dark side of his greediness. The people who met him in the bookshop met a gentlemen who respected and loved books.
    I think I would have liked him, too. I miss such shop assistants from my life.

Country
    Country Flag

This has made me reasses my opinion of Calvin. I guess you are right because if h hadnt insisted on pushing his books through the door the
    Spoiler:
    Pere would not have seen Salem's Lot

Plus he was nice to Jake and I cant really expect him to stand and be true like the gunslingers! Maybe not so much of a prick.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just pray the world(s) never require me to lose my books.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice JameseyLefebure is on a distinguished road JameseyLefebure's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    My thoughts on this are that it just wasn't something that King thought of doing at the time. HOWEVER, heres my personal take on it.

The trip through the doorways has been shown to be very, very traumatic for people that arn't part of Roland's Tet (see Jack Andolini). Given Tower's ...wimpish nature... it can be assumed that his psyche might not have survived the travel from New York to Doorway Cave.

There's also the distinct possibility that Ka wouldn't have allowed them to take him through the door, and (consider this) bringing him into Roland's world would have given the Red King plenty of opportunity to simply kill him and take him out of the picture.

Also, remember that Tower saves Callahan after Mr.Dean saves him from the mob. Between this moment and the battle with the Wolves, a *huge* amount of time passes in the keystone world. Although Callahan is in the story at this time, the fact that Tower wasnt there to save him would create a paradox in which The Father simply winks out of existance.

Hope these ideas are helpful!

- Calvin is the keeper of the Rose in Keystone New York. It is very likely that, had he entered the door, it would have taken him from the true line that his fathers

WOW!! You've just put everything I was thinking into words! lol I agree with the above! And don't forget - if they took him through the door then Black 13 would have been able to get to him as would the voices in the cave - i think simply - his mind wouldn't have been able to handle going through the doors.

Jamesey
    xxx

Country
    Country Flag

Calvin probably woulndt have gone through the door anyway. Eddie would have had to drag him through resisting all the time and he wouldnt have taken any heed of the dangers in the Calla and ended up killed. The Gunslingers had a lot to deal with in the Calla and Calvin would have been a major hindrence. He wouldnt have been happy with his books being left in the cave and would have tried to make them take them somewhere maybe?

Although, I think Anjerith hits the nail on the head. Calvin needed to be able to save Callahan and we dont know the chain of events which lead up to him doing this. Rather than ust a last minute decision it could be a whole host of things which lead up to him taking that action which he needed to be in Keystone world to experience.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sickrose View Post
    Calvin probably woulndt have gone through the door anyway. Eddie would have had to drag him through resisting all the time and he wouldnt have taken any heed of the dangers in the Calla and ended up killed.
    Exactly my first and second thought.

Anyway the question is very good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2