Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Neil Gaiman thread

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    Well, I have have been really interested in Gaiman's works, but haven't decided where to start. Can anyone help me out? I was thinking American God's sounded like a great place to start. Where did you guys start at when it comes to Gaiman?
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNING'S CHILDE View Post
    All I have read is Coraline. I really enjoyed it, but I am wondering if he has anything that is geared to an adult audience. I liked Coraline and would read and enjoy similar works, but I am more interested in something with a little more meat.
    American Gods.

You guys can thank me tomorrow

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yes, I still need to get to that one. Plus pick up the next Sandman!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    Well, I have have been really interested in Gaiman's works, but haven't decided where to start. Can anyone help me out? I was thinking American God's sounded like a great place to start. Where did you guys start at when it comes to Gaiman?
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNING'S CHILDE View Post
    All I have read is Coraline. I really enjoyed it, but I am wondering if he has anything that is geared to an adult audience. I liked Coraline and would read and enjoy similar works, but I am more interested in something with a little more meat.
    American Gods.

You guys can thank me tomorrow
    We shall see, thanks in advance Feev.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Cody and Browning's Childe, I recommend reading AMERICAN GODS and ANANSI BOYS, in that order simply because that is the order in which they were written.

Most people prefer one over the over, but they're both great reads.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I shall add them to the list....the list, however, is growing quite large.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

good omens was my first experience with him (like 13 or 14 years ago), and i loved it.

i strongly recommend that.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    good omens was my first experience with him (like 13 or 14 years ago), and i loved it.

i strongly recommend that.

Good Omens was fantastic.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, Good Omens was my first Gaiman, followed by the Sandman gn's. But I would very, very highly recommend American Gods as a great place to start.

As Patrick says, you can follow on with Anansi Boys, which is also excellent. And even look out for a familiar face in one of the short stories in Fragile Things.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

My first was Neverwhere.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Neverwhere is another great Gaiman read.

The last Gaiman I read was The Graveyard Book (Thanks again Lisa ), a quick read but still good nonetheless

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've read everything mentioned so far, except GOOD OMENS. I guess I better rectify that shortfall in my Gaiman experience.

Speaking of the Gaiman experience, I just expanded mine. I finally succumbed to the pressure (mostly from within) and bought the ABSOLUTE SANDMAN, Volume I. Holy moly, what a beautiful book!

Here it is next to one of the standard softcovers to show relative size.

I recall that people were discussing this edition somewhere upthread. They were right. The artwork looks so much better on the larger pages with better paper and ink quality. Plus there are a bunch of extras in back (bios, sketches, scripts, etc.)

This book is not rare so I encourage all Sandman fans to go get one!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick, find Good Omens NOW.

Edit: That Absolute Sandman is gorgeous.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

What is Good Omens about?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll look for GOOD OMENS, Brice.

I'm hoping to get that ABSOLUTE SANDMAN inscribed and signed by Neil Gaiman when I meet him on Sunday.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    What is Good Omens about?
    From Wikipedia

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (1990) is a fantasy novel written in collaboration between Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

The book is a comedy and a quasi-parody of the 1976 film The Omen (as well as other books and films of the genre), concerning the birth of the son of Satan, the coming of the End Times and the attempts of the angel Aziraphale and the demon Crowley to avert them, having become accustomed to their comfortable situations in the human world. A subplot features the gathering of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse—War, Famine, Pollution (Pestilence having retired in 1936 following the discovery of penicillin), and Death—the last of whom is characterised in a manner reminiscent of the personification of Death in Pratchett's Discworld novels and calls himself Azrael before his final exit.

I'll have to pick it up. Sounds good.

And Patrick, have fun

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Feev, I'll find it too.

Thanks, Heather. I'm really looking forward to meeting him tomorrow. It's going to be at a comic book store in San Francisco and limited to 100 people. It was dumb luck that I found out about it in time to snag a spot.

He'll be promoting/signing the hardcover of "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?"
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You'll obviously be posting bazillions of pictures, right?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes. I'll charge the battery tonight and bring the camera tomorrow. I hope to take lots of photos.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Woot!

My first was Good Omens, given to me for a birthday present. It was a few years until I read Neverwhere, and then another year or so before I met Matt and he really got me started with Sandman and American Gods. Now I'm hooked.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved NEVERWHERE, ka-mai.

posting this for patrick:

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Oh! That is soooooo cool. It's like having Neil Gaiman in your living room.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

he said the reading was great, and that it was time for the signing.

i told him to tell neil i said hi.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm so jealous! I had a ticket to see him do a reading/signing for the Graveyard Book in London and couldn't get there

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast