I just finished Vol 1 Preludes and Nocturnes earlier. (This is the time where I take a moment to thank Feev for being a f'n graphic novel peddler and once again turning me into a junkie.....Thanks FEEV!!...)
Anyway, I really enjoyed this first volume. The artwork is very cool and the color schemes are amazing. (I love, love, love the blue of the Sandman's hair and cloak.)
What I realy enjoyed about it was how, at the beginning of each story, you are kind of in the dark as far as what is really going on. I like how characters and plots are slowly revealed instead of just thrown out all at once at the beginning of the story. It definitely evolves at a perfect pace.
There were a lot of moments in the book that I really liked. Him travelling into hell to reclaim his helmet was probably my favorite. Naturally, I liked the duel with Choronzon, but I loved Sandman's response when told that he had no power in Hell. "What power would Hell have if those imprisoned here were not able to dream of Heaven?"
And of course the battle with Dee was great. Especially when he first challenges him and we see him put on his helmet and invite him to the dream world. Badass!
I'm really looking forward to reading more of these.....I've started a bit of Vol 2, but put it down, wanting to savor it for another day.