Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Subterranean Press discussion thread

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm almost tempted to order them, I have a feeling both novels will increase in value, but having read neither author I'm gonna hold off.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Couldn't plop down 700 on two lettereds in the same day so I got both RP1's and s/l martian.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I'm almost tempted to order them, I have a feeling both novels will increase in value, but having read neither author I'm gonna hold off.
    Ready player one was great - fun read. Plus I think it's still $1.99 for kindle on amazon - so you can always give it a quick read and decide

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Picked up a lettered and limited of The Martian and RP1. I loved The Martian and actually have an inscribed copy on my bookshelf at the moment. I haven't had a chance to read RP1 yet, but I've heard such great things I figured I should pick up a copy while I had the opportunity.

Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I have the UK signed/limited HC, so on a purely selfish level I was a bit dismayed to see this new S/L which will inevitably cut into the value of mine...but as a big fan of the book I'm glad to see it receive the deluxe treatment in yet another S/L.

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I really hope they decide to do slipcases for these books. I wonder if we can generate some demand for those.

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I would love to see them too... I would gladly pay more for slipcases... somthing like they did for Nos4a2.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would definitely purchase a slipcase for the limited editions if one was offered…
    Wanted:

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Pro slipcase...but included in the price...!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lauterer View Post
    The limited editions were only $75, so I wouldn't mind paying extra for a slipcase.
    Wanted:

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    The limited editions were only $75, so I wouldn't mind paying extra for a slipcase.
    "Only"...?

Man, I remember when $40 was the default S/L pricing...it's been inching up for years now, to the point where some don't blink at nearly twice that -- or three or four times in some cases (Sub Press' Dan Simmons, et al). I get it, there's inflation and it's a new marketplace where customer demand supports those higher prices, but I miss the Old Days and sometimes I fear we're pricing out any new blood that might want to get in on the small-press collecting scene. Fortunately, CD has kept their releases close to that price point, though even they've been inching up into the $50 price point. It'll be interesting to see if demand continues to support these higher prices or if, like many collectible markets, demand will fall and the market will collapse; I certainly hope it's not the latter.

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    "Only"...?

Man, I remember when $40 was the default S/L pricing...it's been inching up for years now, to the point where some don't blink at nearly twice that -- or three or four times in some cases (Sub Press' Dan Simmons, et al). I get it, there's inflation and it's a new marketplace where customer demand supports those higher prices, but I miss the Old Days and sometimes I fear we're pricing out any new blood that might want to get in on the small-press collecting scene. Fortunately, CD has kept their releases close to that price point, though even they've been inching up into the $50 price point. It'll be interesting to see if demand continues to support these higher prices or if, like many collectible markets, demand will fall and the market will collapse; I certainly hope it's not the latter.
    I see it same way... s/l get to expensive... with a slipcase you will be at 100 $. So in a few years the price for a common s/l will reach this area...

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

"Only"...?

I agree 100%. Even though I don't collect books as "an investment" I have thought multiple times about selling before any potential market collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    "Only"...?

I agree 100%. Even though I don't collect books as "an investment" I have thought multiple times about selling before any potential market collapse.
    All it takes -- in the most fundamental sense -- is for supply to outweigh demand. The typical book-collector is one who is progressively graying-/aging-out of the of the market, and younger generations 1). have less of an interest in the collecting of books (and, for that matter, collecting in general) since 2). both reading as entertainment and physical books have become less attractive, and 3). have less disposable income for luxuries like $100+ books, especially in an era when free and 99-cent e-books proliferate. There is already ample evidence of this softening of the market occurring with signed/limited books (many from -- but certainly not limited to -- CD) priced originally at $40 go for ten bucks or less on eBay; as well, American HC 1sts, save for the iconic Big Names (Faulkner, Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, et al) are also experiencing a softening. Small-press publishers faced with diminishing print runs turn to higher prices (this of course is only one reason why prices climb...increasing material costs, author advances, etc. also account for it), yet all this does is alienate younger, less-flush collectors even further and decrease demand even more: a vicious cycle.

Those who collect Stephen King limiteds are insulated from these factors a bit more than those who collect a more general authorship since collecting King is equal parts book collecting and pop culture collecting, and the latter is a far more safer long-term bet than the former.

Who knows, a collapse may come tomorrow and surprise us all as it surely did to those who collected baseball cards, Hummels, or Beanie Babies, or it may never come, at least not in our lifetimes. For me, value has never driven my purchase selections, so it's a somewhat moot issue to me, but that said, I'd like to hope my collection that my database tells me has a retail replacement sum of $111,315 (so an (averaged) value of, what, 50% of that -- and that's on a good day) will have a sustained value that will in some sense (aside from the enjoyment derived) justify the expense and time I have put into it. Unfortunately, it seems to me that market forces and short-sighted publishers' strategies to respond to them are making that hope an increasingly poor bet.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder why is Alan Moore's Voice of the Fire $15 cheaper than Cline and Weir? A multi-million best-selling author with multiple movie adaptations vs. two debut novels and one movie still to come.

RC, that was a good post. I'm glad Centipede and CD are still doing more affordable S/L editions without compromising quality.

Gunslinger Apprentice mkb.redux will become famous soon enough mkb.redux will become famous soon enough mkb.redux's Avatar

I agree that it was a good post. I suppose that people collect for many reasons, but I don't see the point if you are not buying what you love, and if the price points make you uncomfortable, well, that is true in any field and everyone has to find the right balance for them.

I do believe that buying and selling books can be a legitimate investment, but that's a separate thing and needs a wholly different approach to the decision-making process.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Picked up a lettered and limited of The Martian and RP1. I loved The Martian and actually have an inscribed copy on my bookshelf at the moment. I haven't had a chance to read RP1 yet, but I've heard such great things I figured I should pick up a copy while I had the opportunity.

Love the signature man - it's on my birthday!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Love the signature man - it's on my birthday!
    Haha, that's awesome! It was also the date of a book signing event for The Martian
    Wanted:

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

After reading these posts I ordered a reading copy of The Martian - I had not heard of this book before but I'm always interested in new stuff. Thanks!

My Mood
    Devilish

It also an my reading list... 5 books before ^^
    Nice inscription!!

Country
    Country Flag

Has the lettered edition of Voice of the Fire started shipping yet?
    Wanted:

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this has been mentioned on this thread or not but it looks as if Sub Press still has gift editions of The Shining available for $95. It looks like the restrictions as to who could and couldn't order have been removed.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Received a shipping notice a couple of days ago. That's (always) very good news.
    Hate the fact that there's never a mention of the book being shipped. Pete, are you listening??
    According to my records, it can only be one of two editions: McCammon's The Border (lettered) or Joe Abercrombie's Half the World (lettered).
    Anyone here maybe ordered the same edition, got a shipping notice as well and being in the US, already received the book?
    I'd love to know which book I can expect.

sk

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

If anyone pre-ordered the Ready Player One lettered edition from Subterranean Press and has decided to part with it please PM me.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Ordered the S/L of The Martian, hopefully they'll match my number request (they did last time). I haven't bought much of anything lately, didn't even know this one was out there so thanks for mentioning it up above.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast