Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Pronounciations -> Roll-end?

Gunslinger Apprentice osseolax28 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by osseolax28 View Post
    kinda like luke Skywalkers aunt's name is said.

his aunt's name was beru.

:eta: oh! his grandmother? shmi?
    ya his grandmother then, haha that was just a little off don't ya think?

Gunslinger Apprentice arrawyn is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

heres some of the ways i pronounce things:

Roland = Row lund (my 'land' sounds like lund when i actually say it out loud) and Deschain = D' shane

Cuthbert = CUTH bert (not with a 'q')

Mejis= i always thought May - Gee (like silent s, and with a soft g (like juh-ee?). even though i know it probably should be spanish sounding (so the j being h - may-hee), but i go with more a frenchy thing (kinda like alain even tho i don't do that with his name! lol)

Sai = sigh

Depape = d' pap (silent 'e')

Alain = I know i should probably pronounce it the french way (silent 'n' kind of) but i think i'd just pronounce it alan

Gilly = Jill - ee

Gilead = Gill - ee- ad

coos = coooose (like scottish slang for cows - coos! lol)

that's all i can think of for now...

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread till now. It has been nearly two years and I can still find new things around. Well it shows I am blind.
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    So I'm the only one who pronounces it GHAN?
    I pronounce it just like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I am in love with this thread but I will not talk about how I pronounce things...
    Yeah, I know how you feel Letti. I have read the first five pages so far. And I am totally confused.
    You haven't talked a Hungarian speaking English yet I guess.. so..
    once when I was talking with Brice on the phone I told him 'avatar' (I don't remember why) and I had to explain it what I meant because he couldn't understand what I was saying.
    Do you remember, Brice?

So.. no.. I am sure my pronunciation would rock your world, Baradin.
    Hahaha. I think that would happen with me, too, if I could understand him better.

Anyway you have excellent pronounciation for my understanding, Letti. I mean it.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    once when I was talking with Brice on the phone I told him 'avatar' (I don't remember why) and I had to explain what I meant because he couldn't understand what I was saying.
    Do you remember, Brice?

Hahaha. I think that would happen with me, too, if I could understand him better.

Anyway you have excellent pronounciation for my understanding, Letti. I mean it.
    It's the same here. I could understand you quite easily. But we have to develope to reach Brice.

Roland would have understood.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

once when I was talking with Brice on the phone I told him 'avatar' (I don't remember why) and I had to explain what I meant because he couldn't understand what I was saying.
    Do you remember, Brice?

It's the same here. I could understand you quite easily. But we have to develope to reach Brice.
    Yeah, absolutely. It is shameful that I requested subtitles from him.

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I always thought Gilead was pronounced Gil ad
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Do you remember, Brice?

Well, part of the problem is my hearing is pretty bad anyway. If you were American...with no accent...and in the same room as me I'd be just as likely to ask what you said.

Do you remember, Brice?

Yeah, absolutely. It is shameful that I requested subtitles from him.
    Okay, subtitles-

Melikey- "huh?"
    Bricey- "what"

...ad infinitum.

Anyhow...you know it's a joy to talk with you lovely ladies.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Along the Path of the Beam GirlGoneNineteen is on a distinguished road GirlGoneNineteen's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I remember Sheemie pronounced Cuthbert's name Key-youth-bert in W&G and I just went o.O
    Sorry Sheemie but it's Cuh-th-burt!

Roland = Roe-lund
    Deschain = Dess-chain (rhymes with chain as in food chain)
    Gan = rhymes with Trash Can Man
    Gilead = Gill-ee-id (gill as in fish gills)
    Gilly = gill-ee
    Mejis = May-hiss
    Alain = Alan
    Depape = Dih-pay-p
    Rhea = Ray-uh
    Palaver = pal-uh-vare
    Lud = rhymes with mud
    Todash = toe-dash

Am I missing any?
    So much you did and so much more you would have done, aye, and all without a check or qualm, and so will the world end, I think, a victim of love rather than hate. For love's ever been the more destructive weapon, sure.

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

This is a fun thread. I stumbled on it when I was searching for some type of consensus on the pronunciation of "Gilead". Looks like this is the wrong place for consensus! Heh.
    While there are a lot of Mid-World words (Mid-words?) that seem rather self-apparent, there are a few terms I have very definite preferences for as regards their pronunciation:

Palaver - puh-LAV-er (this one took me a while to get, should have the same stresses as the word "jalopy")

Cuthbert - COOTH-burt (I like the germanic long "u" sound, as opposed to the short u "cuh" or "queue" variants)

Mejis - MAY-jiss (I'm not sure why i like it this way, but the spanish pronunciation MAY-heess is bothersome)

Deschain - duh-SHANE

Alain - ah-LANE

Which brings us to Gilead. I am of two minds. I like the lyricism and mythic nature of GILL-ee-add, but more often than not I now find myself mentally pronouncing it gil-LEAD. Lead is, after all, a Gunslinger's stock-in-trade.

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I was not sure how to pronounce Palaver, until I heard it used on a episode of Firefly.
    They also pronounced it puh-LAV-er.
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by velcro_fly View Post
    I was not sure how to pronounce Palaver, until I heard it used on a episode of Firefly.
    They also pronounced it puh-LAV-er.
    Now that you mention it, I think that's where I heard it, too!..definitely a cowboy thing, always reminded me of "pow-wow".

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The word 'palaver' came across familiar when I first read it in the DT books. I don't know where I came across it first (probably cowboy films, actually) but I understood it, especially in context.

Which brings us to Gilead. I am of two minds. I like the lyricism and mythic nature of GILL-ee-add
    That is the correct pronunciation. Stephen King got it from our world after all.

Traveler SalSolomon is on a distinguished road

Some of these we can argue about personal preference/interpretation, but I think Cuthbert is settled clearly by the text, as referenced above. In W&G, Part 3, Chapter IX, we have the following:
    "Cuthbert's my name." He stuck out his hand. "Cuthbert Allgood. How do y'do, and how do y'do, and how do y'do again?"

Sheemie shook the offered hand, then began giggling. It was a cheerful, unexpected sound, and made them all smile. Smiling hurt Roland a little, and he guessed that if he could see his own face, he'd observe a pretty good bum from being so close to the exploding derricks.

"Key-youth-bert," Sheemie said, giggling. "Oh my! Key-youth-bert, that's a funny name, no wonder you're such a funny fellow. Key-youth-bert, oh-aha-ha-ha, that's a pip, a real pip!"

Traveler rolandesch is on a distinguished road rolandesch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by GirlGoneNineteen View Post
    I remember Sheemie pronounced Cuthbert's name Key-youth-bert in W&G and I just went o.O
    Sorry Sheemie but it's Cuh-th-burt!

Roland = Roe-lund
    Deschain = Dess-chain (rhymes with chain as in food chain)
    Gan = rhymes with Trash Can Man
    Gilead = Gill-ee-id (gill as in fish gills)
    Gilly = gill-ee
    Mejis = May-hiss
    Alain = Alan
    Depape = Dih-pay-p
    Rhea = Ray-uh
    Palaver = pal-uh-vare
    Lud = rhymes with mud
    Todash = toe-dash

Am I missing any?
    Its neat that you see the 'j' in Mejis like the Spanish see it: like an English 'h'. I agree very much with what Jean said earlier in this thread about naturally reading French-looking words in a very French manner. Anyways, living in Ohio, here's how I see your words.

Roland = Roll-ind.
    Deschain = D'Shane
    Gan = rhymes with can
    Gilead = Gill-ee-ad (gill as in fish gills)
    Gilly = gill-ee
    Mejis = Meh-jeese
    Alain = Uh-Lane
    Depape = D(silent e)'PAYp(another silent e)
    Rhea = Ree-uh (though Ray-Uh seems to make more sense)
    Palaver = puh-la-ver (la as in last, and ver as in version)
    Lud = rhymes with mud
    Todash = toe-dash

Traveler bravo9zero is on a distinguished road

Throughout the entire Dark Tower series I always read Gilead as Gil-lead, not Gil-ee-ad.
    Just the way I read it the first time, and stuck with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16