Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 232 of 267 FirstFirst ... 132 182 222 230 231 232 233 234 242 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,800 of 6654

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

Did you like it? My next article is on A Ghost Story
    It's a beautiful film. Very quiet and introspective, but very thought provoking. It's the kind of film that certainly isn't going to be for everyone, but it's also the kind of film that begs to be watched more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

I went and signed up but my local libraries don't participate
    Actually, my public library didn't have an account either. I sent them a message on Facebook and they got back to me saying that they put it on the agenda for their next budget meeting and expect it to be approved. Shoot your library an email and they should be willing to do the same thing. Luckily, the school my mom works at has an account, so I'm using that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post

Have you tried Hoopla?
    I have not, but after I push "Post Quick Reply" I will be looking it up.

I definitely recommend Killing of a Sacred Deer if you haven't watched that one yet.
    It's the only Lanthimos film I haven't seen. It's one of the first films I searched for on Kanopy and luckily they have it!
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

Did you like it? My next article is on A Ghost Story
    It's a beautiful film. Very quiet and introspective, but very thought provoking. It's the kind of film that certainly isn't going to be for everyone, but it's also the kind of film that begs to be watched more than once.

That's probably why I've watched it 5 times already lol
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A really good list, first time I'm seeing it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC's_...e_21st_Century

I think all of these except for just two or three are on my own lists for the years from 2000 to 2016, and with the exception of The Act of Killing or Stories We Tell, since I don't do documentaries.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So I headed over to a nearby town to borrow an audiobook from their library and I saw a sign that they have Kanopy. I talked to the librarian and they said they could switch me over to their card, that way I can access it. I was a bit confused though as to whether my current card would be deactivated, so I'll have to talk to them again when I return it. I just need to make sure it won't interfere with my current holds on overdrive.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Imagine putting Synecdoche, New York at 20 instead of 1.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's a similar list from NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...t-century.html

Just some food for thought for our next decades tournaments.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I definitely recommend Killing of a Sacred Deer if you haven't watched that one yet.
    It's the only Lanthimos film I haven't seen
    oooooh you must! I've only just re-watched it for, don't know, the third or fourth time, it's delight incarnate, especially the first half (maybe even two thirds or more).

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

It's International Women's Day soon (March 8 - also the release date for Captain Marvel woo!), so I thought this was an interesting list (I like lists):

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/fe...en-1202045399/
    For as long as there have been movies, there have been women making them. When the Lumière brothers were shocking audiences with their unbelievable depiction of a running train, Alice Guy-Blaché was pioneering her own techniques in the brand-new artform. When D.W. Griffith was pioneering advances in the art, and building his own studio to make his work, Lois Weber was doing, well, the exact same thing. When Hollywood was deep in its Golden Age, Dorothy Arzner, Dorothy Davenport, Tressie Souders, and many more women were right there, making their own films. It’s not even a trend that really abated, because it was never a trend. For so long, women being filmmakers was simply part of the norm.

And yet around the time of the advent of sound cinema, female participation in filmmaking began to drop. And the numbers have dipped immeasurably in recent decades. The latest Celluloid Ceiling report from the Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film at San Diego State University reveals that the percentage of women working as directors on the top 250 grossing films declined from 11% in 2017 to 8% in 2018. The percentages of women directing films in the top 100 and 500 films declined as well, with women only directing four of the top 100 films (a decline of four percentage points) and 15% of the top 500 (a decline of three percentage points). And despite highly acclaimed films released in 2018 by women such as Debra Granik, Chloe Zhao, Marielle Heller, Tamara Jenkins, Lucrecia Martel, and more, women were again completely left out of the Best Director nominees at the Academy Awards.

But the riches are there, and they are decades-deep. The IndieWire staff put together this list of the 100 All-Time Greatest Films Directed by Women to celebrate the work of creators who have been making their mark on cinematic culture since it began. Our writers and editors suggested over 200 titles and then voted on a list of finalists to determine the ultimate ranking.

We hope it’s a list that captures the wide range and diversity of the work women create behind the camera, and a reminder that female directors have put their mark on every decade, genre, and kind of film, and will continue to do just that.

100. “American Psycho” (Mary Harron, 2000)
    99. “Frozen” (Jennifer Lee & Chris Buck, 2013)
    98. “I Am Not a Witch” (Rungano Nyoni, 2018)
    97. “They” (Anahita Ghazvinizadeh, 2017)
    96. “The Secret Garden” (Agnieszka Holland, 1993)
    95. “Rambling Rose” (Martha Coolidge, 1991)
    94. “Monsoon Wedding” (Mira Nair, 2001)
    93. “The Breadwinner” (Nora Twomey, 2017)
    92. “Nitrate Kisses” (Barbara Hammer, 1992)
    91. “Outrage” (Ida Lupino, 1950)
    90. “35 Shots of Rum” (Claire Denis, 2008)
    89. “Near Dark” (Kathryn Bigelow, 1987)
    88. “Kanehsatake: 270 Years of Resistance” (Alanis Obomsawin, 1993)
    87. “The Souvenir” (Joanna Hogg, 2019)
    86. “Gas Food Lodging” (Allison Anders, 1992)
    85. “Something’s Gotta Give” (Nancy Meyers, 2003)
    84. “One Way or Another” (Sara Gómez, 1974)
    83. “Crossing Delancey” (Joan Micklin Silver, 1988)
    82. “Appropriate Behavior” (Desiree Akhavan, 2014)
    81. “After the Wedding” (Susanne Bier, 2006)
    80. “Girlfriends” (Claudia Weill, 1978)
    79. “Boys Don’t Cry” (Kimberly Pierce, 1999)
    78. “The Connection” (Shirley Clarke, 1961)
    77. “Enough Said” (Nicole Holofcener, 2013)
    76. “Antonia’s Line” (Marleen Gorris, 1995)
    75. “Thirteen” (Catherine Hardwick, 2003)
    74. “High Art” (Lisa Cholodenko, 1998)
    73. “Love & Basketball” (Gina Prince-Bythewood, 2000)
    72. “Orlando” (Sally Potter, 1992)
    71. “Wendy and Lucy” (Kelly Reichardt, 2008)
    70. “Pariah” (Dee Rees, 2011)
    69. “Portrait of Jason” (Shirley Clarke, 1967)
    68. “Cameraperson” (Kirsten Johnson, 2016)
    67. “Morvern Callar” (Lynne Ramsey, 2002)
    66. “Girlfight” (Karyn Kusama, 2000)
    65. “A New Leaf” (Elaine May, 1971)
    64. “Can You Ever Forgive Me?” (Marielle Heller, 2018)
    63. “Real Women Have Curves” (Patricia Cardoso, 2002)
    62. “Bend It Like Beckham” (Gurinder Chadha, 2003)
    61. “Reassemblage” (Trinh T. Minh-ha, 1983)
    60. “Big” (Penny Marshall, 1988)
    59. “My Brilliant Career” (Gillian Armstrong, 1979)
    58. Zora Neale Hurston’s Early Ethnographic Films (1920s-30s)
    57. “Little Women” (Gillian Armstrong, 1994)
    56. “Girlhood” (Celine Sciama, 2014)
    55. “You Were Never Really Here” (Lynne Ramsay, 2018)
    54. “The Savages” (Tamara Jenkins, 2007)
    53. “Paris Is Burning” (Jennie Livingston, 1990)
    52. “Breathe” (Mélanie Laurent, 2014)
    51. “Mabel’s Blunder” (Mabel Normand, 1914)
    50. “Sink or Swim” (Su Friedrich, 1990)
    49. “The Hurt Locker” (Kathryn Bigelow, 2009)
    48. “The Decline of Western Civilization” (Penelope Spheeris, 1981)
    47. “The House Is Black” (Forough Farrokhzad, 1963)
    46. “Mikey and Nicky” (Elaine May, 1976)
    45. “The Hitch-hiker” (Ida Lupino, 1953)
    44. “Stories We Tell” (Sarah Polley, 2012)
    43. “The Watermelon Woman” (Cheryl Dunye, 1996
    42. “The Virgin Suicides” (Sofia Coppola, 1999)
    41. “Whale Rider” (Niki Caro, 2003)
    40. “Selma” (Ava DuVernay, 2014)
    39. “Monster” (Patty Jenkins, 2003)
    38. “Leave No Trace” (Debra Granik, 2018)
    37. “Fat Girl” (Catherine Breillat, 2001)
    36. “Sugar Cane Alley” (Euzhan Palcy, 1983)
    35. “Desert Hearts” (Donna Deitch, 1985)
    34. “News From Home” (Chantal Akerman, 1977)
    33. “The Babadook” (Jennifer Kent, 2014)
    32. “Point Break” (Kathryn Bigelow, 1991)
    31. “Europa Europa” (Agnieszka Holland, 1990)
    30. “Eve’s Bayou” (Kasi Lemmons, 1997)
    29. “Desperately Seeking Susan” (Susan Seidelman, 1985)
    28. “The Headless Woman” (Lucrecia Martel, 2008)
    27. “Losing Ground” (Kathleen Collins, 1982)
    26. “Le Bonheur” (Agnes Varda, 1965)
    25. “Harlan County USA” (Barbara Kopple, 1976
    24. “We Need to Talk About Kevin” (Lynne Ramsay, 2011)
    23. “Persepolis” (Marjane Satrapi, 2007)
    22. “Suspense” (Lois Weber, 1913)
    21. “Lost in Translation” (Sofia Coppola, 2003)
    20. The Matrix (Lilly and Lana Wachowski, 1999)
    19. “Wanda” (Barbara Loden, 1970)
    18. “The Adventures of Prince Achmed” (Lotte Reiniger, 1926)
    17. “Fish Tank” (Andrea Arnold, 2009)
    16. “Zero Dark Thirty” (Kathryn Bigelow, 2012)
    15. “Dance, Girl, Dance” (Dorothy Arzner, 1940)
    14. “Yentl” (Barbra Streisand, 1983)
    13. “Clueless” (Amy Heckerling, 1995)
    12. “Winter’s Bone” (Debra Granik, 2010)
    11. “The Rider” (Chloe Zhao, 2018)
    10. “Daughters of the Dust” (Julie Dash, 1991)
    9. “Seven Beauties” (Lina Wertmüller, 1976)
    8. “Meshes of the Afternoon” (Maya Deren, 1943)
    7. “Cléo from 5 to 7” (Agnes Varda, 1962)
    6. “Lady Bird” (Greta Gerwig, 2017)
    5. “Daisies” (Vera Chytilova, 1966)
    4. “A League of Their Own” (Penny Marshall, 1992)
    3. “The Piano” (Jane Campion, 1993)
    2. “Beau Travail” (Claire Denis, 1999)
    1. “Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles” (Chantal Akerman, 1975)
    Certainly not a perfect list, and I haven't seen every movie on this of course, but some notable omissions, still a very very solid list with some great picks and some titles to watch.

Country
    Country Flag

This was so much fun and I agree, "you're watching movies wrong":

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    It's the only Lanthimos film I haven't seen
    oooooh you must! I've only just re-watched it for, don't know, the third or fourth time, it's delight incarnate, especially the first half (maybe even two thirds or more).
    I watched The Killing of Sacred Deer last night and it is a fantastically odd little film. Lanthimos is such a unique voice. At the moment, this is how I rank his films:

1) The Favourite
    2) The Killing of a Sacred Deer
    3) Dogtooth
    4) The Lobster

Country
    Country Flag

Someone has put the above list up on Letterboxd, how nice: https://letterboxd.com/josephfinn/li...reatest-films/

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yikes. I've only seen 21 out of the 100 films on that list.

I'm surprised Mudbound, directed by Dee Rees, didn't make the list.

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    This was so much fun and I agree, "you're watching movies wrong":

I always say plot is overrated. You can do more with a flimsy plot and strong characters and good presentation than a good plot with little else.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Captain Marvel is getting slammed.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Not really. 90% on rotten Tomato’s is hardly “slammed” my brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Rotten tomatoes is a snapshot of non-professional reviews, and peoples advance opinion of what they believe the movie will be.

https://film.avclub.com/the-dream-of...apt-1833044950

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ca.../1100-6465111/

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Rotten tomatoes is a snapshot of non-professional reviews, and peoples advance opinion of what they believe the movie will be.

Even with those articles I wouldn’t say “slammed”. They are professional critics to that have seen the movie RF. They don’t guess if it’s good or not. I will be seeing it Thursday. Can’t wait!

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Even with those articles I wouldn’t say “slammed”. They are professional critics to that have seen the movie RF. They don’t guess if it’s good or not. I will be seeing it Thursday. Can’t wait!

I sure hope you don't give it a 10/10...

Country
    Country Flag

I sure hope you don't give it a 10/10...
    Why not? Am I not allowed to like it cause someone else didn’t? Lol

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

As long as people aren't evaluating the film on Larson's views and opinions. The film is the film. It should be evaluated on its quality alone.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Kris, I was joking about the 10/10. If you truly think it to be great, of course rate it high. That's why I put the burping crow-to show I was being facetious.

Country
    Country Flag

Kris, I was joking about the 10/10. If you truly think it to be great, of course rate it high. That's why I put the burping crow-to show I was being facetious.
    Oh I know buddy. I may not love it BUT I will report what I did think afterwards

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Finally got to see Wreck It Ralph 2 last night. It was just as good, if not better, than the original. Definitely lived up to the hype.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone seen the trailers for Brightburn by James Gunn? Man oh man... it is another take on how Superman came to earth but "sinister"... VERY excited about this.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 232 of 267 FirstFirst ... 132 182 222 230 231 232 233 234 242 ... LastLast