Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 179 of 267 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 189 229 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,475 of 6654

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not a huge fan X-Men. I'm still not sure I've seen the original films in their entirety.

That being said, I really enjoyed X-Men: First Class. It didn't hurt that it had Jennifer Lawrence and Michael Fassbender in it.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

For me X Men: First Class is probably my favorite X-Men movie. Might be tied with X-2....but it's close

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, First Class is easily my favourite. McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence in one film with a 60s look that was more nostalgic than cheesy, overall it appealed to me quite a bit more than the original X-Men trilogy did.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It was pretty good. I have to admit there were a number of things about the originals that didn't sit right with me as a one time X-Men comics fanatic. But it was groundbreaking stuff at that time for the whole politics of adaptation. You know, they told us that changing "Bruce Banner" to "David Banner" was just how it should be done when I was young. So that's one reason for my differing perspective.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked X-men: First Class but it had a lot of timeline issues for me.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Batmans:

1. Batman Begins
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. The Dark Knight Rises
    4. Batman Returns
    5. Batman
    6. Batman Forever
    7. Batman & Robin

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

What the hell, I'll take a stab at it since I am an avid Comic book movie fan. Here goes!!!

1. The Dark Knight
    2. The Avengers
    3. Iron Man
    4. Watchmen (I know a lot of folks didn't like it, but I did!)
    5. X-Men
    6. X-Men United
    7. Spider Man 2
    8. The Dark Knight Rises
    9. Hellboy II
    10. 300 (It was a "GN" originally, right?)

Bring it on, folks!! I can take it!! Honorable mention to "Heavy Metal" for the era it was done in and the subject matter.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Merlin, I liked Watchmen too, so you are not alone. However, I would argue endlessly that Batman Begins is the best of Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. And if we are including 300 in that discussion, that it should take the cake aka be at the top. After I saw it in theaters my bottom lip was numb and swollen from biting it the whole time. It's a visual masterpiece and far superior to the others listed.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    Merlin, I liked Watchmen too, so you are not alone. However, I would argue endlessly that Batman Begins is the best of Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. And if we are including 300 in that discussion, that it should take the cake aka be at the top. After I saw it in theaters my bottom lip was numb and swollen from biting it the whole time. It's a visual masterpiece and far superior to the others listed.
    Sorry, but not DKR!! IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

To each his own my cyber-friend

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm thinking I need to make a new list of comic book movies in general. My list wouldn't change drastically, but there are a few I would switch out, for sure.

Also, I picked up Skyfall yesterday. I'm really excited to watch this one again.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    To each his own my cyber-friend
    I guess what it really comes down to is my preference. BB was a great film and would probably be No. 11 on my list. I do think "300" was a little better film, and note I am the only one so far as I know to include it on my list. I just happen to be a little bit of a "Batman" geek. I recall when they decked out downtown NYC for a couple of the "other" Batman flicks and they were all the rage at the time though, I find Nolan's version to be the far a superior take on the subject. I may even go so far as to say that Nolan's "Batman" may be "the" best comic book adaptation to date!!! "The Avengers" and "Watchmen" coming in with the Silver and the Bronze ("Iron Man" with honorable mention along with "Xmen - United"), but that's just one man's opinion.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of comic book movies. The next X-Men franchise movie will be out next year. It is called X-Men: Days Of Future Past. I am looking forward to this one. It is said to have the past and present incarnations of the X-men. Here is the cast

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Are they going to have a new Phoenix?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Apparently yes they are. I am okay with that, Singer iw just acting like X3 never happened which is my sentiments exactly
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

If X3 never happened, does that really mean yes, they'll have a new Phoenix, or wouldn't it mean no, they'll still have the first one?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Technically it is the first, as Singer built towards that in X2.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Is anyone else finding themselves more and more eager to see Man of Steel the more time goes on? At first, I wasn't so interested, more than likely because most of my comic book movie hype was reserved for The Dark Knight Rises, Avengers and Dredd last year. Plus, "origin of Superman" stories are a dime a dozen, and I was skeptical that it looked a little too Dark Knight-ish: too dark, grey and just a bit gritty. Considering Superman works best as a symbol of hope and is a considerably lighter character than Batman, I'm not too sure that kind of approach can work. (Also, it's only produced by Christopher Nolan, not directed, which really lowers expectations compared to the Dark Knight movies.)

But the more time goes on, the more open I am to the idea of a new take on Superman. The origin of Superman has been done a number of times, (most notably in tv series Smallville, which I've been re-watching in an attempt to see just how good the entire story was, possibly before Man of Steel comes out,) but that's because it's such an interesting one: whereas some origin stories are about how someone becoming a hero, a vigilante, maybe even in a conisiderably more interesting case, a villain (the biggest reason I watched Smallville for so long was, tbh, Michael Rosenbaum's slow descent as Lex Luthor), the typical story of Superman's origins is how someone goes from dealing with being different in crucial ways and struggling with that to eventually becoming someone not only openly powerful in numerous and incredible ways, but also a public image seen by everyone, a figure of hope and an icon: in short, a god. The more I think of it that way, the more I find myself looking forward to any new take on that, especially one that's even produced by Christopher Nolan. (And hey: Zack Snyder didn't do too bad a job with Watchmen, especially the full uncut version.)
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

You know, the story of Jor-El is more resonant than ever. "If you don't listen to me, our planet will be destroyed and our race extinct." Wouldn't it be ironic if baby Superman were sent all the way to Earth, raised here and risen to fame, only to see his new home devastated by global warming?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nope, I'm right there with you. I've never been a Superman fan - the only Superman story I own is Red Son, which is amazing admittedly - my enthusiasm was by the wayside.

However with recent reports/early reviews pouring that not only is it a good Superman story, but a really good movie, my hype meter is grudally climbing.

Snyder has always been great visual director... if Nolan can reign him in a bit and keep him from going off the rails, I think we could be in for something special.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a pretty tough question for you all: Which was worse, Superman Returns or Superman IV: The Quest for Peace?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Superman IV, without question. Two words : Nuclear Man.

SR was mediocre, but IV was GAN AWFUL.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Part of me wants to say Superman Returns simply because superbaby didn't kick his way out of Lois Lane's womb.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Exactly. It was a bit beyond mediocre when you think about it. If you're going to at all seriously critique SR, you must at some point at least mention the inexplicable stalking scenes.
    It's also kind of incomprehensible how Superman in this film first cannot tolerate a tiny sliver of kryptonite... but when he's upset enough, he can lift an entire island made of it!
    Superman IV: The Quest for Peace is cheesy and melodramatic as hell, but the plot at least is clear. And as terrible and stupid as the Nuclear Man character was, I still don't think that's the very worst part. Two words: Jon Cryer!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Is anyone else finding themselves more and more eager to see Man of Steel the more time goes on? At first, I wasn't so interested, more than likely because most of my comic book movie hype was reserved for The Dark Knight Rises, Avengers and Dredd last year. Plus, "origin of Superman" stories are a dime a dozen, and I was skeptical that it looked a little too Dark Knight-ish: too dark, grey and just a bit gritty. Considering Superman works best as a symbol of hope and is a considerably lighter character than Batman, I'm not too sure that kind of approach can work. (Also, it's only produced by Christopher Nolan, not directed, which really lowers expectations compared to the Dark Knight movies.)

But the more time goes on, the more open I am to the idea of a new take on Superman. The origin of Superman has been done a number of times, (most notably in tv series Smallville, which I've been re-watching in an attempt to see just how good the entire story was, possibly before Man of Steel comes out,) but that's because it's such an interesting one: whereas some origin stories are about how someone becoming a hero, a vigilante, maybe even in a conisiderably more interesting case, a villain (the biggest reason I watched Smallville for so long was, tbh, Michael Rosenbaum's slow descent as Lex Luthor), the typical story of Superman's origins is how someone goes from dealing with being different in crucial ways and struggling with that to eventually becoming someone not only openly powerful in numerous and incredible ways, but also a public image seen by everyone, a figure of hope and an icon: in short, a god. The more I think of it that way, the more I find myself looking forward to any new take on that, especially one that's even produced by Christopher Nolan. (And hey: Zack Snyder didn't do too bad a job with Watchmen, especially the full uncut version.)
    Actually, I have recently read a few articles extolling the virtues of this film which, has created new excitement in the release for me. Call me "Cautiously Optomistic".

Spoiler:
    DD? I need a "Secretary of Bolloxing", bad!!! http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...Occupy-TDT.Org
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 179 of 267 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 189 229 ... LastLast