Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 152 of 267 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 150 151 152 153 154 162 202 252 ... LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 6656

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Question: as awesome as Inception looks, and as much as I really want to see it, should I be worried that I really want to see Scott Pilgrim vs. the World so much more?
    Now why should you be worried that you'd rather be watching a movie starring that monotonous , one-trick-pony Michael Cera instead of a refreshingly original movie by one of the most charismatic directors currently working today ? Huh ? Why ?

Mike ! Loving the Inception theme meng !
    Thanks Feev, I was inspired by your awesome theme.

Spaced is the greatest sitcom ever? I guess you haven't seen Arrested Development.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Is that the one with Michael Cera in it?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Two points: one, I said he was the most stylish comedy director ever, and I'd be right, as it's not just two films I'm basing this on, but his work on Spaced, also. If you've seen Spaced, you will understand why I've made that statement. And as for Michael Cera, well, one good reason for you to see this film is that he gets the crap kicked out of him. I ain't seen any of his movies, so I'm not gonna judge on his acting skills. But still...you're defending a film which has Leonardo DiCaprio in it. He's not the worst actor ever, but he's far from the best. Inception maybe awesome, but as a fan of Edgar Wright for over ten years now, his work has been pretty brilliant so far.
    I don't think you can call someone with only two films the best of anything. I consider Wes Anderson miles above him, as he has churned out various comedies which are for the most part very highly regarded. If you google any 'top comedic directors' actors list, Anderson is sure to appear. Can't say the same for Wright.

And DiCaprio is such a horrible actor, that top tier directors like Nolan, and one of the most influential film makers of all time - Martin Scorsese ,which has worked with him on four occasions , want to cast him in as the lead role in their movies.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, I'm only basing my opinion on his early films like Romeo and Juliet and Titanic and not on his later films, except the Departed, and that was only because it was a remake of Infernal Affairs, so I can't comment on how he is now. Bear in mind though that I really didn't like his early performances that I didn't want to watch anything after, especially if he's the lead.

One question, feev: have you seen Spaced at all?

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm only basing my opinion on his early films like Romeo and Juliet and Titanic and not on his later films, except the Departed, and that was only because it was a remake of Infernal Affairs, so I can't comment on how he is now. Bear in mind though that I really didn't like his early performances that I didn't want to watch anything after, especially if he's the lead.
    Ah ! I can see that his melodramatic stint on Titanic forever tainted your image of him. As I admitted earlier in this thread, I too refused to watch anything with DiCaprio because I considered he was nothing more than an actor used to draw in the female crowd, but after watching his Scorsese films, my perspective of him has changed drastically. Check out Shutter Island and/or Gangs of New York, you'll see how far he's come as an actor.

One question, feev: have you seen Spaced at all?
    Nope, shamefully I hadn't even heard of it until you mentioned it. I know I shouldn't even be asking but, I'm assuming you highly recommend it ?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

OK, feev. I know that Inception is gonna be a fucking awesome film, and that Christopher Nolan, judging by his Batman films alone, is a fucking awesome director. Right now, i'm not so much in the mood of a headfuck admittedly (and are you going to deny that Inception isn't a headfuck?), not that I don't enjoy it, just that I've recently finished re-watching Ghost in the Shell films and tv series, both of which are so amazing in the headfuckness department that there's a little bit of cynicism in me that Inception could match it on that level.

But Spaced is the reason I looked forward to Shaun of the Dead months before it became popular. It's also the reason I praise Edgar Wright as a director, since he directed every single episode. Both Shaun and Hot Fuzz are great, but feev, you seriously need to watch Spaced. That's what I'm basing my opinion on, as well as believing that he just might get a good performance out of Michael Cera, or at least have him seem better than his usual stuff, since that's what he did with Simon Pegg. He made him awesome, before JJ Abrams, shockingly, actually brought him down a couple of...erm, well I don't wanna use a bad pun here, but you get the idea. I'm not saying that Scott Pilgrim is going to be better than Inception, I'm just saying I'm looking forward to it more because I'm a fan of everything Wright's done, tv shows included.

Oh, and feev? Yes, I seriously recommend Spaced!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Alright man, based on your vehement enthusiasm, I have no choice but to check out Spaced ! Let me hit up Netflix and see what I can find. I'll PM you if I have any questions sir !

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Good man!

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post

Alright man, based on your vehement enthusiasm, I have no choice but to check out Spaced ! Let me hit up Netflix and see what I can find. I'll PM you if I have any questions sir !
    I think most of them are up on youtube. That's where I caught a few of them.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Right, so reviews have been coming in for Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and at the moment they're mostly positive. This review in particular definitely sounds promising: "There's not one moment in the entire movie that isn't shot or edited from a "never quite seen that before" perspective."

http://www.ugo.com/movies/comic-con-...pilgrim-review

Ugh, waiting for this movie is gonna be agony!

- Melike

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

FYI to those interested ( Mr. Feev, sir !! ) - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, swedish with English subtitles, is now available on DVD and Blu-Ray. I believe there is going to be an extended version released ( theatrical version = 152 minutes, extended version = 180 minutes ) eventually... so maybe this is a rental to start.

Spoiler:
    Note : there's some fairly graphic rape scenes here. Not for kids.
    ( added the spoiler tags - plot point warning.

The sequel is hitting art-houses in the US very soon ( this week or next ) ... The Girl Who Played With Fire.

I submit - once you see this version of TGWTDT, you'll be hard pressed to imagine Daniel Craig as the male lead in the pre-production US version ... and they'll never find a better Salandar than newcomer Noomi Rapace seen here. I'm skeptical of any foreign remake ( I refer to the awesome La Femme Nikita which became the horrible Point of No Return as an example).
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It's swedish? I'll come right out and be perfectly honest, Pam: I had no clue this movie was a swedish film. It was advertised so heavily and the book was so heavily publiscised that I just automatically assumed that it was another American adaptation.

Of course now I'll be thinking of checking it out! I haven't heard much about it, but what I have heard is that it's supposed to be a really great film! Yep, definitely a film to rent, I think!

- Melike

My Mood
    Gay

It's swedish? I'll come right out and be perfectly honest, Pam: I had no clue this movie was a swedish film. It was advertised so heavily and the book was so heavily publiscised that I just automatically assumed that it was another American adaptation.

Of course now I'll be thinking of checking it out! I haven't heard much about it, but what I have heard is that it's supposed to be a really great film! Yep, definitely a film to rent, I think!
    Yup. Swedish with English subtitles. Filmed in Sweden as well, I believe. The landscape and cinematography really play into the atmosphere of the film.

I will say - when I saw it in the theater, the subtitles were done very well and were easy to read. Since I've not seen the DVD yet, I can't attest to how well they're done there, however ( and for me, that can make or break a film ).

The American adaption is in pre-production now and they're still looking to cast the female lead ( Lisbeth Salander ). Rumors have been flying as to who it will be. Names from Ellen Page to Keira Knightly have been tossed around. It's a hugely sought after part. It's made Noomi Rapace a superstar every where but in the US.

Oh and my apologies with regards to my initial note - I just added a spoiler tag, because my warning actually gave away a plot point. My bad. Really, sorry about that, friends.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The prestige

I know this is being discussed in a few other threads, but i wanted to bring it into here as i have a few questions i wanted to ask. I loved this film, and although i didnt have the wow factor the second time around i still felt it an excellent well acted film, my infatuation with christian bale not withstanding all 3 main actors put in a good solid performances. I have watched a few micheal caine films recently and must admit i have changed my opinion of him, i used to feel he was a one trick pony, but each film he has starred in seems to have become a favourite of mine

Borden question (major plot spoilers)
    Spoiler:
    In regards to the twin aspect to Bordens character do you feel they were more intwined that just regular twins, yes i realised they lived in each others shoes every day. But at the start when Julia dies, he states he has argued with himself and one part of him believes he tied one knot and the other part of himself believes they tied a different knot. This line is telling 2 ways, one that he argues with himself in the first person as opposed to saying i argued with 'fallon' or my brother. the other telling part of this statement is that they honestly can not remember which knot it was, so are they so deeply engrained within each other that they each believed they were there at the time? the other point i wanted to make, while not as straight forward as the above, was while borden was argueing with sarah and he tells her that he doesnt love her today, fallon is outside and picks up jess to take her away. if you really loved someone as much as he purportedly loved sarah, could he really just walk away while his other half destroys her? this more than the previous point, suggests they are more one person (in their minds) than 2 twin brothers?

Angiers question
    Spoiler:
    while not as deep a questions as the borden one, am i right in thinking that angiers must have killed his original self to promote the tesla trick/act? i know he killed the first double, but in order for the trick to work, he must have killed his original self on the first staged act?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Angiers question
    Spoiler:
    while not as deep a questions as the borden one, am i right in thinking that angiers must have killed his original self to promote the tesla trick/act? i know he killed the first double, but in order for the trick to work, he must have killed his original self on the first staged act?
    Spoiler:
    Each night, Angier drowned a copy of himself and as time went on, he found it impossible to determine whether he is actually himself or a copy. So for your question, "original" Angier did drown, since he is exactly the same as the copy, but, again, Angier has trouble distinguishing himself from the copy.

Now I really want to watch this again!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I haven't seen Superbad, but I just thought I'd post what has to be one of the worst/best interviews ever, since I still have nothing to post about the Scott Pilgrim movie other than it's gotten quite a few good reviews on rottentomatoes.com so far, and it's just making the anticipation for me so much worse.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOjNQ57-pKQ"]YouTube- Superbad star 'cracks' during interview[/ame]

Edgar Wright: not just a great director, but also a great interviewer, too!

- Melike

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I laugh every time I watch that video.

I just want to make sure people realize that was all a bit though.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Gay

Film shows Springsteen recording 'Darkness' album
    By JOHN CARUCCI, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK – An Emmy Award-winning filmmaker has collaborated with Bruce Springsteen on a new documentary that chronicles the recording of the Boss' 1978 album.

The film, "The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town," will premiere Sept. 14 at the Toronto International Film Festival.

Filmmaker Thom Zimny gained access to never-before-seen footage of rehearsals and recording sessions shot from 1976-78.

At the time, Springsteen was working to move past years of legal trouble and match the success he had with "Born to Run."

"The Darkness" album featured many songs recorded with a full band immediately after being written. Tracks covered the plight of average Americans, from the struggling everyday hero in "Badlands" to hopelessness in the title track.

turtlex comments : I also posted this over in the Forge music thread. I think this looks very cool. Then again, I love both Springsteen and documentaries, so it's a double win for me!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Pam, I just watched Visions of Light. That documentary was amazing! Thanks for the heads up. I absolutely loved it. Cinematography has always been one of my favorite aspects of films. I can seriously get lost watching certain scenes just based on the photography alone. They even included quite a few of my favorite shots, and I found some new films to check out I just wish they could re-release it with updated material.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Just watched Up In The Air. What a wonderful movie. All the performances were excellent and entirely beautiful. I loved J.K. Simmons cameo, one of my favourite scenes of the movie.

Also watched Synecdoche, New York with a friend in which, I promptly bought. I really have to watch it again to better understand the movie and how Kaufman presented it. There are so many damn layers to the movie and it is really, Kaufman's most down to earth movies (I haven't seen Human Nature so I cannot comment) yet it is presented in such a surreal fashion. Loved it.

I still have to see Inception and want to see The Expendables. I'm getting really sick of seeing tv spots for Scott Pilgrim. "You have to defeat my seven evil ex boyfriends." ugh. Shoot me
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I am wondering about the Expendables... what did it cost to have all of those actors in one movie?
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually I can see it not costing very much. I'm sure most of their money will come from the gross. I'm sure the oppourtity to make a movie like this, with this cast, was what drew them all to it. It's probably going to make such a killing after DVD releases they will all get a hefty paycheck. The budget is around 80 Million and I'd say only about half of that is going to the salary, if even that.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i'd agree, most of them are past their 'sell by dates' individually and i think this is their last big 'hoo ha' and what a way to do it.

i just hope its not completley pants

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I still have to see Inception and want to see The Expendables. I'm getting really sick of seeing tv spots for Scott Pilgrim. "You have to defeat my seven evil ex boyfriends." ugh. Shoot me
    I'm also pissed off at the tv spots for Scott Pilgrim, or rather, the lack of them in the UK. Perhaps I wouldn't take such an interest in this if it weren't for Edgar Wright's involvement, but since the director of one of the best sitcoms ever is involved, I have to say I'm looking forward to this movie a lot more than the Expendables. The fact that the comic series is one of the most enjoyable things I've read in a long time effectively doubles the anticipation.

Also, I haven't seen a single film with Michael Cera in it, so that might have something to do with it!

- Melike

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Cera in Youth In Revolt, but I am getting a bit tired of the exact same character in every one of his movies. And I agree about the Scott Pilgrim trailers on TV- I saw like 20 of them within a 2 hour time span last night.

This has probably been discussed already but has anyone seen the previews for that Piranha movie? My God. My brother and I were crying lastnight watching it. So ridiculous.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 152 of 267 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 150 151 152 153 154 162 202 252 ... LastLast