Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 139 of 267 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 189 239 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,475 of 6654

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    (yes, I love Mythbusters), .

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

The "problem" with Emmerich is that basically, you're not going to get any character development at all. Lots of things blowing up, lots of running around, but no character development.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    The "problem" with Emmerich is that basically, you're not going to get any character development at all. Lots of things blowing up, lots of running around, but no character development.
    Popcorn romp! Movies where you can turn off your cognitive process and just let the visuals flow.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the pullman speech in "independence day" was a great one though
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

My cognitive process is always turned off.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Gay

You know, for what it is - I enjoyed Independence Day... same thing with Armegeddon. They are what they are...

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I found them both very entertaining.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Gay

But... not a lot of character in them.

They are what I call .... MOVIES, rather than .... FILMS.

( then again, I'm a snob about such things )

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Trick r' Treat - Really enjoyed this one as well. I loved how they incorporated so many interweaving stories, it was quite interesting.
    but...
    Spoiler:

what was up with that pumpkin kid at the end
    I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Heather! I hoped you would. My favorite character is Laurie, definitely. How about yours? My favorite character corresponds to my favorite story; is that how it worked out for you as well?

About your "spoiler" question:
    Spoiler:
    Sam is supposed to be the spirit of Halloween. He goes around killing those who do not obey the rules of the sacred day. The point of showing him in his real form (as the Pumpkin-Demon-thing) is to point out that he is a supernatural figure; he is not a small boy like you first assume. Notice how he's standing on the side of the road picking up a dead crow with a stick in the flashback scene of The Halloween School Bus Massacre story (when that bitch is retelling it to Rhonda). He's an eternal figure that has been around forever and will be around forever. By the way: the kid looking into the stalls when the girls are changing into their Halloween costumes in the store is the same kid that played Sam. I thought that was pretty cool.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Pam, my respect for you has just increased further (and considering you know for a fact that original office beats remake office, that's saying something)!

Honestly though, I know exactly what you mean. True films would be something like Brick or The Godfather trilogy or Blade Runner. I mention those three because truly great films are ones that can make you think, whilst whispering "fucking hell..." in awe when the credits come up.

The best directors are ones who can do both great films and great movies, of course. Steven Spielberg springs to mind, along with Ridley Scott. That's something that's truly difficult to do: direct a film that can work as both light entertainment, whilst also trying to make something deeper, too. That's why I think Peter Jackson is a brilliant director for combining both in the Lord of the Rings adaptation. (Although I do think that the King Kong remake was not only unnecessary but easily one of the most boring movies of 2005!)
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Moreover, both movies and films have varying levels of each.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Just saw A Serious Man. Damn. That was sumthin'. Maybe the Coens' best.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I considered Lord Of The Rings and the King Kong remake movies, not films.

Maybe there is a thread here for detemining distinctions between what is movie and what is film.

If you rescue me

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Trick r' Treat - Really enjoyed this one as well. I loved how they incorporated so many interweaving stories, it was quite interesting.
    but...
    Spoiler:

what was up with that pumpkin kid at the end
    I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Heather! I hoped you would. My favorite character is Laurie, definitely. How about yours? My favorite character corresponds to my favorite story; is that how it worked out for you as well?

About your "spoiler" question:
    Spoiler:
    Sam is supposed to be the spirit of Halloween. He goes around killing those who do not obey the rules of the sacred day. The point of showing him in his real form (as the Pumpkin-Demon-thing) is to point out that he is a supernatural figure; he is not a small boy like you first assume. Notice how he's standing on the side of the road picking up a dead crow with a stick in the flashback scene of The Halloween School Bus Massacre story (when that bitch is retelling it to Rhonda). He's an eternal figure that has been around forever and will be around forever. By the way: the kid looking into the stalls when the girls are changing into their Halloween costumes in the store is the same kid that played Sam. I thought that was pretty cool.
    Thank you, that does make complete sense now
    Laurie's storyline was really good. I didn't see that one coming at all. And I loved who she got in the end, he was just super creepy from the get go.

I'm not sure that I really had a favorite storyline, I enjoyed them all. I don't know if you've ever seen Dead Like Me, but there were a couple characters from that show in it. Macy, the girl from the bus story, and the woman in the cat costume from the house they go trick or treating at. I got a huge kick out of that when she opened the door and standing there was Delores Herbig from Dead Like Me And especially considering the type of party she was having it was pretty much the exact opposite of her character on that show.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

just watched "dear john"

gag me with a spoon bad acting

kind of awkward when the guy behind me was sniffling and tearing up though...
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe...just maybe he was crying over the bad acting?

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post

Pam, my respect for you has just increased further (and considering you know for a fact that original office beats remake office, that's saying something)!

Honestly though, I know exactly what you mean. True films would be something like Brick or The Godfather trilogy or Blade Runner. I mention those three because truly great films are ones that can make you think, whilst whispering "fucking hell..." in awe when the credits come up.

The best directors are ones who can do both great films and great movies, of course. Steven Spielberg springs to mind, along with Ridley Scott. That's something that's truly difficult to do: direct a film that can work as both light entertainment, whilst also trying to make something deeper, too. That's why I think Peter Jackson is a brilliant director for combining both in the Lord of the Rings adaptation. (Although I do think that the King Kong remake was not only unnecessary but easily one of the most boring movies of 2005!)

My friends are always joking with me over being a FilmSnob, but honestly - if you're a big movie/film fan ... then, you probably know exactly what we're talking about.

Spielberg is an excellent example, btw, of a director who can make a successful film and then make a good movie.

And I'm with you 100% on the remake of King Kong. OMG?!? What was he thinking? ( and yeah, I thought it was some of the worst acting... ever ... Naomi Watts was so bad, she made Jessica Lange as Dwan look like an Oscar winner )

Hey? Wait... Doesn't everyone know that the UK Office is way better than the US version?!?

Quote Originally Posted by IWasSentWest View Post
    just watched "dear john"

gag me with a spoon bad acting

kind of awkward when the guy behind me was sniffling and tearing up though...
    Welcome to my world. The first time I saw Ghost. I was sitting there, shaking my head and wondering "what the hell"... while the everyone else in the entire theater was in tears.

Oh, and I've only been to one movie where men have openly cried... I mean, like actually sobbed and that was The Perfect Storm. I will say, though, that I saw it in a Massachusetts, and those of us who were there for that big storm when it happened, it sort of touched a cord, but still.... big, weeping, crying.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Maybe...just maybe he was crying over the bad acting?
    I've done this before.

Country
    Country Flag

i cried during The Green Mile when
    Spoiler:
    John Coffey was executed
    and during I Am Legend
    Spoiler:
    when the dog dies.
    don't ask....
    Last edited by fernandito; 02-15-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spoilers !
    I'm kind of a big deal.

My Mood
    Gay

Yeah, but were you in the theater? Or at home?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Sooooo, has anyone seen The Wolfman yet ?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Sooooo, has anyone seen The Wolfman yet ?
    Yes, I have. It was ok. I was expecting something alot better though. And I have to say that Benicio was absolutely terrible in it. Had they cast someone else, I think the movie would have been alot better.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Green Mile at home, I Am Legend in theater

i didn't cry my eyes out, but i did tear up
    I'm kind of a big deal.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by IWasSentWest View Post
    Green Mile at home, I Am Legend in theater

i didn't cry my eyes out, but i did tear up
    At home doesn't count!

Though I am kinda surprised about I Am Legend. How did you do with Old Yeller?

Country
    Country Flag

I was too young when i watched it to really remember anything, or to understand any real significance.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

My Mood
    Worried

The Machinist - Not bad, but definitely not as good as I expected.

I realized that I have never seen Ghostbusters II. Should I?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 139 of 267 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 189 239 ... LastLast