Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 133 of 267 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 131 132 133 134 135 143 183 233 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 6655

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I know. I haven't heard anything either I don't think.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by idk, my bff jill? View Post
    What about Up in the Air?
    Anyone seen it?
    I thought it was really great. It let me get past the fact that I'm an avid George Clooney hater. And I really liked Anna Kendrick.
    I can't stand Clooney. That guy is the biggest stiff in Hollywood, and the only one who comes close to eclipsing him is Marcia Gay Harden-they're probably two of the most overrated actors in history.

I'm still going to see this movie though, because almost everyone who's seen it says it's great, if a bit depressing. Plus, there's nudity.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought Lynch's version did a lot right. The scenery and the atmosphere were masterstrokes. Herbert himself was a big fan of how Lynch got across the feudal system of government by using a Baroque style for the scenery and clothing. The cinematography was awesome and the music was very fitting. The cast was excellent. There were really only three things that bothered me. The weirding weapons...bad. The rain at the end, bad. The portrayal of the Harkonnens...VERY bad. Actually it was this last piece that really held back this movie from being a good adaptation. There were some other issues I had with the theatrical version that were corrected in the Smithee version...Paul's duel with Jamis for instance. This was important to Paul's development and it was cut out of Lynch's version. (and, if memory serves, I do think the Guild wanted Paul killed in the first book too...but I'll have to look and make sure) Of course, there are other minor discrepancies...the Sardaukar for instance. I didn't like how they were made to look so inhuman. But they're still pretty cool looking...certainly cooler than SyfY's bakers from Hell look at any rate.

The SyFy version was ok. The script and sequence of events were more true to the novel...or at least more detailed. (But then, they had more time to include that detail) The Harkonnens were much more like they should have been. But the casting, for the most part, sucked. Interestingly, it was the Harkonnens that were all cast perfectly (with the exception of Rabban looking a little too meek). No one else fit their part. Syfy's Dune was the polar opposite of Lynch's Dune insofar as what they got right and what they got wrong. The costumes ranged from merely acceptable to ridiculous. (the costumes rocked in Lynch's version) The desert sets looked like sets instead of looking like a desert. (Lynch's version was actually shot in the desert and the sets were beautiful) Watching SyFy's Dune felt more like watching a televised play than a movie. (and for me to enjoy it this is how I have to see it)

Pound for pound, I'll take Lynch's version any day. But I own them both.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My little brother (10) is going to be an even bigger movie buff than me - kids his age watch G-Force and Alvin and The Chipmunks, but this kid already has films like Reservoir Dogs, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, No Country For Old Men, and Inglourious Basterds under his belt , to name a few. This past sunday he watched IB 3 times, and he's named it as one of his most favorite movies. I'm proud of that guy ...

/obviously holding back tears

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    My little brother (10) is going to be an even bigger movie buff than me - kids his age watch G-Force and Alvin and The Chipmunks, but this kid already has films like Reservoir Dogs, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, No Country For Old Men, and Inglourious Basterds under his belt , to name a few. This past sunday he watched IB 3 times, and he's named it as one of his most favorite movies. I'm proud of that guy ...

Aw. I love nerdy little brothers.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Heather: I'm in no rush to see it. The previews sort of turned me off to it. I'd watch it, but I wouldn't make any sort of effort to see it.
    Those are exactly my feelings too. I was really excited about it when I first heard about it, then I saw the previews and well... not so much anymore. I'll most likely wait for the dvd to come out. But it's strange because I haven't found even one person that's seen it yet to hear their impression.

The reason why you haven't heard people express their opinion on Sherlock Holmes is probably the people who saw it already forgot about it.

It's one of those films that isn't bad, but it's not exactly good either. It's right in the middle. Kind of like purgatory for films. This is almost a worse place than if the film was god awful.

I thought the action was good and RDJ was excellent, but the whole story just seems kind of lackluster. Also, you're never really given the chance to figure out the mystery with Sherlock. It just gets unfolded for us in the very end and we are all supposed to go, "Ah, I see."

I finally saw Avatar the other day. I thought it was an amazing film experience. I think our children's, children will be seeing the film in the future. Sure, the story is nothing new, but the way they brought the planet to life is like nothing I've ever seen before.

A must see for even the biggest Avatar detractor. I think Avatar has something for everybody.

I also saw Up in the Air and I loved it. The way I feel about Clooney is the total opposite of the way Ruthful feels. I think he's charismatic and down to earth. I think he has an "old Hollywood" feel to him.

Up in the Air really is one of the better films of the year. It's a great portrayal of our current climate. I also have a new favorite actress: Anna Kendrick.

She is so good in this film and maybe steal the spotlight from Clooney.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Heather: I'm in no rush to see it. The previews sort of turned me off to it. I'd watch it, but I wouldn't make any sort of effort to see it.
    Those are exactly my feelings too. I was really excited about it when I first heard about it, then I saw the previews and well... not so much anymore. I'll most likely wait for the dvd to come out. But it's strange because I haven't found even one person that's seen it yet to hear their impression.

The reason why you haven't heard people express their opinion on Sherlock Holmes is probably the people who saw it already forgot about it.

It's one of those films that isn't bad, but it's not exactly good either. It's right in the middle. Kind of like purgatory for films. This is almost a worse place than if the film was god awful.

I thought the action was good and RDJ was excellent, but the whole story just seems kind of lackluster. Also, you're never really given the chance to figure out the mystery with Sherlock. It just gets unfolded for us in the very end and we are all supposed to go, "Ah, I see."
    Ah, well that's disappointing, but that's pretty much what I was thinking it would be like.

Feev, you're little brother sounds like the best
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by idk, my bff jill? View Post
    What about Up in the Air?
    Anyone seen it?
    I thought it was really great. It let me get past the fact that I'm an avid George Clooney hater. And I really liked Anna Kendrick.
    I can't stand Clooney. That guy is the biggest stiff in Hollywood, and the only one who comes close to eclipsing him is Marcia Gay Harden-they're probably two of the most overrated actors in history.

I'm still going to see this movie though, because almost everyone who's seen it says it's great, if a bit depressing. Plus, there's nudity.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but while there is nudity, it really isn't much.
    Like, I would barely consider that nudity.
    But I stand behind the fact that the movie was absolutely fantastic.
    It was witty, and the characters really had depth.
    And like Still Servant said, Anna Kendrick was great.

Aw. He's awesome.
    Like his big brother.

I still haven't watched Sherlock Holmes, and I probably won't until it comes out on DVD, but I think the proper description for it is "Summer Blockbuster Flick Released During the Holidays".

...Sure, the story is nothing new, but the way they brought the planet to life is like nothing I've ever seen before.
    I was so impressed with the Pandora flora and fauna that it made me fall in love with the movie. And I totally walked into Avatar rolling my eyes at it already...I'm still a little embarrassed that I liked it so much.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw Sherlock Holmes and Up in the Air on the same day. An extreme rarity what with all the rugrats around my house these day.

Sherlock Holmes: Liked it a lot, didn't love it. A different high end director may have been a better choice. Also RDJ and Jude Law were perfect for their roles, Rachel McAdams was the weak link. I have high hopes that the sequel will be better. I don't care if I see this movie again.

Up in the Air: Two wholehearted thumbs up. Fantastic movie. I'd watch it twice, which is a big endorsement given the realities of my family life these days.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i am a little hesitant about watching holmes, tbh the trailers have really put me off with the whole huge action sequences.

would you recomend it then patrick?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, when I think of Sherlock Holmes I don't think f action sequences generally. The trailers turned me off to it too. I'll wait for the DVD and maybe catch it then.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I saw Sherlock Holmes and Up in the Air on the same day. An extreme rarity what with all the rugrats around my house these day.

Sherlock Holmes: Liked it a lot, didn't love it. A different high end director may have been a better choice. Also RDJ and Jude Law were perfect for their roles, Rachel McAdams was the weak link. I have high hopes that the sequel will be better. I don't care if I see this movie again.

Up in the Air: Two wholehearted thumbs up. Fantastic movie. I'd watch it twice, which is a big endorsement given the realities of my family life these days.
    They're making a sequel of Sherlock Holmes? I hope Ritchie's not involved in this one.

And I guess I should go see Up in the Air with all this praise it's getting. That's one that I was just going to let pass by.

Was in the mood for a cheesy movie last night so we went and saw Daybreakers. It was predictable but entertaining and had a touch of b-movie flair (comically extreme disembowelment, exploding vampires, BATS!). If you had a giant crush on Ethan Hawke in middle school I recommend it. Not that I did or anything.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I watched The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus last night -

If you're a fan of Terry Gilliam, and are familiar with his style of directing - you will no doubt like this movie. That said, you might have trouble getting into the movie if the opposite is true, as the plot is often unclear/convoluted, and it moves at such a brusque pace that it doesn't give you a chance to catch up. Visually, however, the film is amazing - the movies main draw is that Dr. Parnassus is able to take audiences through another dimension via a portal, giving Gilliam ample space to work with the surreal imagery with which he is known for, and save for a few outdated looking CGI sections, he pulls it off admirably - what else can you expect from the director that brought us Brazil and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Heath Ledger (r.i.p) gives a memorable swan song performance, and the three actors that stepped in to complete his scenes - Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Ferrell all handle their scenes remarkably well.

I want to see that so bad. Hopefully I can convince someone to go with me.

Oh, and The Road is finally playing somewhat nearby me.

Wow I almost forgot about Parnassus! And it's actually playing at a giant screen nearby, yess.

I have a love/hate thing with Gilliam. I love his imagery but hate that his films feel 5 hours long and extremely self-indulgent. I still keep watching them knowing that he's got something special going on, he as a director just rubs me the wrong way.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    Was in the mood for a cheesy movie last night so we went and saw Daybreakers. It was predictable but entertaining and had a touch of b-movie flair (comically extreme disembowelment, exploding vampires, BATS!). If you had a giant crush on Ethan Hawke in middle school I recommend it. Not that I did or anything.
    I've been dying to see this since I saw the trailer back in October. Looks like a real vampire movie (vampires are not supposed to sparkle!)

If you were to give it a letter grade, what would you say?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    I've been dying to see this since I saw the trailer back in October. Looks like a real vampire movie (vampires are not supposed to sparkle!)

If you were to give it a letter grade, what would you say?
    B-

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

If you're a fan of Terry Gilliam, and are familiar with his style of directing - you will no doubt like this movie. That said, you might have trouble getting into the movie if the opposite is true, as the plot is often unclear/convoluted, and it moves at such a brusque pace that it doesn't give you a chance to catch up. Visually, however, the film is amazing - the movies main draw is that Dr. Parnassus is able to take audiences through another dimension via a portal, giving Gilliam ample space to work with the surreal imagery with which he is known for, and save for a few outdated looking CGI sections, he pulls it off admirably - what else can you expect from the director that brought us Brazil and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Heath Ledger (r.i.p) gives a memorable swan song performance, and the three actors that stepped in to complete his scenes - Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Ferrell all handle their scenes remarkably well.
    Oh feev, you're super lucky to have a theater close by that's playing this! I can't wait to see it.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post

Oh feev, you're super lucky to have a theater close by that's playing this! I can't wait to see it.
    Me too!

Also I watched Sherlock Holmes, same review, liked it didn't love it.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

So my mom had some movie passes to use up so we went to see Up in the Air. I don't know, it was ok, but nothing I would rave about. George was good in it, but the whole thing just kinda bored me. But I guess I'm in the minority as everyone else here has loved it. Maybe it's just not my type of film.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So my mom had some movie passes to use up so we went to see Up in the Air. I don't know, it was ok, but nothing I would rave about. George was good in it, but the whole thing just kinda bored me. But I guess I'm in the minority as everyone else here has loved it. Maybe it's just not my type of film.
    That's too bad. Maybe we hyped it up too much for you. That happens sometimes.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Since you saw it, can you tell me what this film is actually about? I mean, I have no clue what the plot is. The only thing the trailers show is Clooney standing in an airport.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

I don't know Mike, I did have my doubts that I was going to like it in the first place. The previews didn't interest me at all, but I thought I might enjoy since everyone else was.

Ricky, it's about this guy who's job requires him to travel around the world firing people. He absolutely loves the freedom that this gives him, however things kinda change when his company decides to ground their employees.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 133 of 267 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 131 132 133 134 135 143 183 233 ... LastLast