Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 128 of 267 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 178 228 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 6654

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Saw White Christmas for the first time. My theater is showing some classic holiday films this month. I really enjoyed it, and it was nice to see it on the big screen. I really wish they would do that more often with classic films.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    Hey, did I tell you guys about how awesome Fantastic Mr Fox was?
    Well.... details.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    Went and saw Boondock Saints 2
    Well.... details.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Saw White Christmas for the first time. My theater is showing some classic holiday films this month. I really enjoyed it, and it was nice to see it on the big screen. I really wish they would do that more often with classic films.
    Oh, on the big screen? I wish I had a local theater that showed the classics on the big screen.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish I had the same.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

And in two weeks It's a Wonderful Life will be showing

Pam and Brice spoiler

I think they have on occasion shown some other classic films. But it's pretty rare, and it's usually on a weekday morning which does me no good because I have to work everyday. So I always end up missing them.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Pam and Brice spoiler

Come and get me.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

Pam and Brice spoiler

Come and get me.
    Both of us !

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

We have a "dollar movie" theatre, which is actually a 2.50 movie now, but it is really run down and largely unattended. I wish they would transform this theatre into one that only showed classics, I bet if they started this, business would actually pick up. I know I would like to go back and watch some of my favorite movies on the big screen again, or for the first time.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Gay

Gosh, running and owning a Classics/Retro Moviehouse is a dream of mine.

I'd show Goonies on Saturday afternoons, and Rear Window in the evenings. Wednesday would be a matinee of Casablanca.

There are so many classic films that most people have never seen on the big screen - surely there's got to be a market for that kind of Moviehouse.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

I think that there's definitely a market for that. There's a place in town where you can eat dinner and drink and watch older movies that are usually on for a week or so (sometimes 1 night only). It's really fun and always well-attended. Sometimes bands play before movies too.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I would be more interested in a theatre like that than the incredibly overpriced theatre that only shows new, mostly terribly uninteresting, cookie-cutter movies.
    Sloth Love Chunk

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    I think that there's definitely a market for that. There's a place in town where you can eat dinner and drink and watch older movies that are usually on for a week or so (sometimes 1 night only). It's really fun and always well-attended. Sometimes bands play before movies too.
    we have one of those too, its really good fun as once the movie is over we (not the whole pub just me and mine) have a drunken conversation about the film. fab

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post

Pam and Brice spoiler

Come and get me.
    Both of us !

If you rescue me

Pam and Brice spoiler

Come and get me.
    Both of us !
    ok, I'm on my way

I really wish they'd put in a movie house that just showed older films around here. I really think a place like that would thrive. There was one place near where I work that sounds very similar to what Ola was mentioning, but they closed down years ago. They even for one Halloween showed The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and had a band there playing the score to the film live. I so wish I had gone to see that.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Pam and Brice spoiler

Come and get me.
    Both of us !
    ok, I'm on my way

I really wish they'd put in a movie house that just showed older films around here. I really think a place like that would thrive. There was one place near where I work that sounds very similar to what Ola was mentioning, but they closed down years ago. They even for one Halloween showed The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and had a band there playing the score to the film live. I so wish I had gone to see that.
    I've consulted with my lawyer. This is a legally binding contract. *waits*

*taps foot*

Caligari would be amazing in a theatre.

If you rescue me

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Went and saw Boondock Saints 2
    Well.... details.
    Anyone seen Boondock Saints 1? I think Boondock Saints 2 was good, except for a couple things they did. Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus (the saints, the brothers, etc..) were fun to watch together again, however if you watch the first one and then watch this one, you can tell real time has taken a toll. Sean Patrick Flanery looks a bit old. Billy Connolly as their dad and the baddest hitman alive was still really cool. However, if you didn't like the first one, don't waste your money. Maybe as a cheap rental, but I went with a bunch of hardcore fans of the first Boondock Saints, and there was some serious debate about the second one. However, we did meet up at a our local watering hole after the movie. And I'll tell ya, you get that many males watching a movie about shooting and badass Irishmen taking down Italian gangsters, and there's Guinness and Jameson being passed around, you would have thought St. Patrick's Day had arrived! And when everyone thinks their Irish, nobody holds back on their opinion of something. So, I would say that I liked Boondock Saints 2 but I would not tell anybody that they HAVE to see it!

I did that without any spoilers right?

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

As to the movie theater that shows classics: I have long had an idea for a theatre/bar combination. We don't have any theaters that serve alcohol, and I think that it would go over big. If that idea were combined with a classic movie theater, I think it would be a hit.

I even have a good name......"The Pitcher Show"

All rights reserved.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice <ô> bango skank <ô> is on a distinguished road <ô> bango skank <ô>'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

sorry but... i just watched twilight 2 and i wanna kill my self. tis very, very poor. it took hrs to watch due 2 megavid cutting me off, which may of added to its shiteness. bring on the classics.

If i ran a cinema Jaws, alien and terminator 2 would be my films of choice. always wanted to see them big screen.

and add booze into the mix... hell yeah! my cinema has a bar, but you cant take your drinks into the screen room thingy. pointless.
    "God pisses down your neck everyday, but only drowns you once.*

"When the shooting starts, we kill what moves. " - Roland Deschain

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

I had been very excited to watch Taking Woodstock for a long time, so I watched it pretty much as soon as it got here, which was last Thursday. I'm sorry to say, though, that I was kind of disappointed. It wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't nearly as good as I expected it to be, and I didn't like Demetri Martin in it as much as I thought I would.
    Goddamn expectations.
    They get me every time.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    As to the movie theater that shows classics: I have long had an idea for a theatre/bar combination. We don't have any theaters that serve alcohol, and I think that it would go over big. If that idea were combined with a classic movie theater, I think it would be a hit.

All rights reserved.
    Awesome!! We have one here in Michigan...in Novi as a matter of fact. My only problem with the idea of a bar/theater is....well, when you say classic, do you mean with intermission and all? Because my buddy wanted to go to this bar/theater for the Lord of the Rings movies, and there was no way in hell I was going to be able to drink and NOT take a piss break for 2 1/2 hours.

OH ya...I like the name too..."The Pitcher Show"...sound cool!

That idea is kind of up there with my buddies....Laundry mat and bar idea. I think he wanted to call it Soap N Suds

I watched Bell, Book, and Candle the other night after there was some talk about it in another thread. I quite enjoyed it. I just love Jimmy Stewart. I think I'm going to rent Harvey soon, as I've never seen that one either.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

All rights reserved.
    Awesome!! We have one here in Michigan...in Novi as a matter of fact. My only problem with the idea of a bar/theater is....well, when you say classic, do you mean with intermission and all? Because my buddy wanted to go to this bar/theater for the Lord of the Rings movies, and there was no way in hell I was going to be able to drink and NOT take a piss break for 2 1/2 hours.

That idea is kind of up there with my buddies....Laundry mat and bar idea. I think he wanted to call it Soap N Suds
    We actually had a Laundry mat/bar/grill in Lubbock on 4th street called Grubs N Suds. A couple years ago though, they took out the laundrymat and called it 4th Street Sports Bar.

Had more character as Grubs N Suds.

And of coarse the Theater/Bar would have both intermission, and every ticket would be a double feature.

On second thought, there would be no tickets, I would only charge for alcohol.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Gomorrah

Gomorrah expertly brings to life a side of Naples you won't see on a post card.

If you are expecting a Hollywood gangster film, you are looking in the wrong place. Unlike films like Goodfellas and The Godfather, Gomorrah does not romanticize the gangster lifestyle.

Instead, the film shows the violent, brutal lifestyle of one of the deadliest organized crime units in the world. The little known, real life Comorra.

There are no expensive suits. There are no shiny, black Crown Vics. There are no big houses with kidney shaped pools.

What we get instead is a documentary style look into the life of the Comorra and the people who are effected by them, which is seemingly everybody. This is exactly what the film strives to do; show us how the influence of the Comorra spreads through Naples like veins in in a body.

Gomorrah chronicles the lives of 5 separate story lines. Don Ciro is a timid middleman who delivers money to families of the Comorra. He lives in fear of the very people who employ him. Toto is an otherwise good boy who helps his mother's store by delivering groceries to the locals. He is literally saturated in the lifestyle of the Comorra (and probably has been his whole life) and therefore joins up with the local gang.

Roberto is a recent college grad whose father gets him a job with a local business man who profits from the illegal dumping of waste. Pasquele is a local fashion designer whose business is being run by the mob. Then there is the most entertaining of the bunch, Marco and Ciro, two Tony Montana wannabes that see the life of a gangster as romantic as the Hollywood movies make it out to be.

Unfortunately, these five story lines is where the film fails for me. We are introduced to so many characters in such a short span of time that it's hard to keep everybody straight. I also feel that the film struggles to juggle all the threads.

Instead of focusing on two or three story lines and fleshing out each character, we get short glimpses of each story. Just enough to see how they live, but not enough to care for them.

I believe this was the intention of the film. Kind of like "a day in the life" look at the most brutal mafia in the world. Keeping the audience at arms length might have been the intention of the filmmakers, but for that reason I couldn't enjoy the film as much as I would have liked.

Gomorrah succeeds in bringing the savage climate in which the people of Naples live. The actors don't seem like actors at all. They seem like real people. The environments are picture perfect and show the gritty, impoverished side of a beautiful city.

In the end, Gomorrah's 5 story lines fail to deliver the emotional connection I need to be fully immersed in a story. There are also parts of the story that remain unclear. For example, there are two rival clans at war, but it's never made clear who is on which side.

I really wanted to love Gomorrah, but it just fell short. Instead of being the classic I was hoping for, it's just merely good.

Wow, that was long. If you read that whole thing, I applaud you. I was just looking forward to the film for so long, I had a lot to say. It's also kind of personal because my Grandfather was born and raised in Naples. I've also been there once and I loved it. I had no idea this was going on.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Amused

All rights reserved.

We actually had a Laundry mat/bar/grill in Lubbock on 4th street called Grubs N Suds. A couple years ago though, they took out the laundrymat and called it 4th Street Sports Bar.

Had more character as Grubs N Suds.

And of coarse the Theater/Bar would have both intermission, and every ticket would be a double feature.

On second thought, there would be no tickets, I would only charge for alcohol.
    You might have just talked me into moving!!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Gomorrah

Gomorrah expertly brings to life a side of Naples you won't see on a post card.

If you are expecting a Hollywood gangster film, you are looking in the wrong place. Unlike films like Goodfellas and The Godfather, Gomorrah does not romanticize the gangster lifestyle.

Instead, the film shows the violent, brutal lifestyle of one of the deadliest organized crime units in the world. The little known, real life Comorra.

There are no expensive suits. There are no shiny, black Crown Vics. There are no big houses with kidney shaped pools.

What we get instead is a documentary style look into the life of the Comorra and the people who are effected by them, which is seemingly everybody. This is exactly what the film strives to do; show us how the influence of the Comorra spreads through Naples like veins in in a body.

Gomorrah chronicles the lives of 5 separate story lines. Don Ciro is a timid middleman who delivers money to families of the Comorra. He lives in fear of the very people who employ him. Toto is an otherwise good boy who helps his mother's store by delivering groceries to the locals. He is literally saturated in the lifestyle of the Comorra (and probably has been his whole life) and therefore joins up with the local gang.

Roberto is a recent college grad whose father gets him a job with a local business man who profits from the illegal dumping of waste. Pasquele is a local fashion designer whose business is being run by the mob. Then there is the most entertaining of the bunch, Marco and Ciro, two Tony Montana wannabes that see the life of a gangster as romantic as the Hollywood movies make it out to be.

Unfortunately, these five story lines is where the film fails for me. We are introduced to so many characters in such a short span of time that it's hard to keep everybody straight. I also feel that the film struggles to juggle all the threads.

Instead of focusing on two or three story lines and fleshing out each character, we get short glimpses of each story. Just enough to see how they live, but not enough to care for them.

I believe this was the intention of the film. Kind of like "a day in the life" look at the most brutal mafia in the world. Keeping the audience at arms length might have been the intention of the filmmakers, but for that reason I couldn't enjoy the film as much as I would have liked.

Gomorrah succeeds in bringing the savage climate in which the people of Naples live. The actors don't seem like actors at all. They seem like real people. The environments are picture perfect and show the gritty, impoverished side of a beautiful city.

In the end, Gomorrah's 5 story lines fail to deliver the emotional connection I need to be fully immersed in a story. There are also parts of the story that remain unclear. For example, there are two rival clans at war, but it's never made clear who is on which side.

I really wanted to love Gomorrah, but it just fell short. Instead of being the classic I was hoping for, it's just merely good.

Wow, that was long. If you read that whole thing, I applaud you. I was just looking forward to the film for so long, I had a lot to say. It's also kind of personal because my Grandfather was born and raised in Naples. I've also been there once and I loved it. I had no idea this was going on.

...as was mine.

If you rescue me

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool! Wouldn't it be awesome if they were friends?

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 128 of 267 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 178 228 ... LastLast