Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 135 of 267 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 133 134 135 136 137 145 185 235 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 6654

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    You cannot be patient. You must be doctor.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    You cannot be patient. You must be doctor. :cyclops;

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    After watching the trailer, I thought we were going to get a film with a noir feel and an intellectual spin on the vampire universe.
    Agree 100%. The gore was indeed over the top, and in some places, comical.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

So I finally saw The Hurt Locker -

Amazing. The pacing , the action, the tension that's so thick you could cut it with a knife. It has automatically become one of my most favorite war movies, and certainly one of the best of 09, AND the decade.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

I am finally coming around to seeing that, after about 200 recommendations. I don't like most war movies, on the other hand I've seen Point Break like 5 times, maybe I should give it a chance!

Thinking about Kathryn Bigelow always makes me wonder: where the f are all the big name female directors? I am NOT counting that one Twilight director btw. :/

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    I am finally coming around to seeing that, after about 200 recommendations. I don't like most war movies, on the other hand I've seen Point Break like 5 times, maybe I should give it a chance!

Thinking about Kathryn Bigelow always makes me wonder: where the f are all the big name female directors? I am NOT counting that one Twilight director btw. :/
    ola - If you like vampire movies... check out Kathryn Bigelow's Near Dark. It's awesome.

There are a lot of "name" female directors. Nora Epheron had a big year with Julie and Julia. Big box office and great reviews.

I guess it matters what you think "big" name is.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post

Amazing. The pacing , the action, the tension that's so thick you could cut it with a knife. It has automatically become one of my most favorite war movies, and certainly one of the best of 09, AND the decade.
    I saw The Hurt Locker in the theater and when the credits started to roll, I noticed I was perspiring. That doesn't happen very often while watching a movie.

As much as I loved the movie, I was left with a little hint of disappointment. I felt that I never really connected with the main character. I'm not really sure why, but I actually didn't really like his character very much.

Still a great film though.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post

Netflix still has it as a very long wait for me
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just watched Disco Pigs, a 2001 film starring Cillian Murphy and Elaine Cassidy as two neighbours, Pig and Runt, who do everything together and have been the closest of friends since birth. However, the (rather unhealthy) friendship gets strongly tested when Runt gets sent away to a boarding school.

I can't do this film justice, to be honest. It's very rare that I see a film that makes me want to discuss it immediately afterwards, but this film... It's too brilliant for me not to discuss. It's shocking, messed up, violent, but most of all, it's really beautiful, in a seriously fucked up way. Definitely a film I'd recommend.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

hmmm, well you definitely have me intrigued. I'm going to have to watch that one soon.

I watched Moon the other night. Has anyone else seen this one? It was really interesting. Sam Rockwell plays an astronaut who is nearing the end of his three year stint on the moon, when things start to get a little strange. Sam did a fantastic job. It's gotta be a hard thing to pull off a movie by yourself but he definitely succeeded. I'd recommend it. And I'd love to hear what others thought of it.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Doesn't that film have Matt Berry in a minor role?

Fuck, I now need to see Moon as soon as fucking possible!

- Melike

Yes it does, but it would be a very, very minor role as the only person we really see in the film is Sam's character. But don't let that stop you from seeing it.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, i don't really care how minor it is, if it's got Matt Berry in it, i will make an attempt to see it. Of course, it also helps that Moon has been getting so many good reviews, but the fact that Matt Berry's in it even for a few seconds is enough for me!

- Melike

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

watched "Legion" last night. pretty damn good, could've used a better ending though
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    hmmm, well you definitely have me intrigued. I'm going to have to watch that one soon.

I watched Moon the other night. Has anyone else seen this one? It was really interesting. Sam Rockwell plays an astronaut who is nearing the end of his three year stint on the moon, when things start to get a little strange. Sam did a fantastic job. It's gotta be a hard thing to pull off a movie by yourself but he definitely succeeded. I'd recommend it. And I'd love to hear what others thought of it.
    Moon opened up at a theater near me, but I never got a chance to see it. I'm planning on renting it from Redbox as soon as I get the chance.

After I watch Rebel of course.

That's right!
    What happened to netflix?

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    There are a lot of "name" female directors. Nora Epheron had a big year with Julie and Julia.
    I didn't know about her, I thought Nora Epheron was only a writer!

By "big" I mean people that are mentioned as often as either 'artsy' directors (Tarantino, Truffaut, Scorsese, Von Trier, Lynch...) or blockbuster guys like Michael Bey. I know that there are some successful films by female directors, but I don't think anyone with major name recognition. This same isn't true in, say, fiction writing or rock music, where I could easily make equally long lists of male and female mainstream names.

It's totally possible that I am just ignorant of a lot of successful female directors. Being someone that is excited by and watches a lot of movies, however, I feel like I should be able to name more of them...?

And I keep meaning to sit down and watch Near Dark. I read in a couple places that she actually wanted to make a Western, and added the vampire element because nobody would let her make a straight Western film.

You're right Ola. I could name tons of male directors but have a hard time even coming up with a handful of female directors. Sofia Coppola and Penny Marshall were the only ones I could think of off the top of my head. It's a shame you don't hear about the female directors as much as we do about male directors.

I moved our conversation here not to be off topic. We can discuss now.
    Melike, so you gave in and watched Avatar as well. What'd you think of it?
    I was looking forward to see Avatar in your list Heather.
    At last I saw it, as a whole I liked it. Visually it is very impressive. To see all that creativity in 3D is just breathtaking. The story reminded me of Princess Mononoke all the time, and it was disturbing. I loved the creatures though. Thanator, viperwolves, banshees...
    So, what do you think about it?
    Unfortunately I hated the whole thing But I pretty much knew I wouldn't like it going in, so I'm not really disappointed. I thought I'd at least like the visual aspect of it, but I didn't really care for that either. The only good thing was that I got to see the new Alice in Wonderland trailer in 3D
    I am really happy you think like that. Because, to me, the story is totally copied. As you are, I am not disappointed. It is not the first time a director is hidden behind the ideas of others' who hasn't had that great financial and technological possibilities. But as I said, as a whole I liked it visually. To be more specific I fell in love with these two creatures:
    Spoiler:

*Here, they showed Garfield trailer instead. *
    We definitely think quite alike when it comes to films
    I can see why you fell in love with them, but to me they were just slightly altered dinosaurs. I wish they were more mythical feeling. I did like those jellyfish like ones though
    Actually, everything in the movie was just like an other version of Princess Mononoke creatures.
    Jellyfish like ones are very similar to these when you think of their origin and reason of existence :
    Kodama:
    Ah yes, I forgot about those. It's been forever since I've seen Princess Mononoke. I should go back and rewatch it soon. And sorry I'm going to get slightly off topic, but have you seen his newest one yet, Ponyo?
    I haven't seen it yet. I think I can find it easily. I am not even going to ask if it is good or not.

I just read an article about Avatar. The writer says:
    ''James Cameron claims he made a movie against the capitalist and consumerist war using technology, industry as a weapon against nature, but he uses the latest technology to do it.''
    A different point of view.

The only think I know is that Avatar is ideologically and philosophically failed. And it has no value in a literary and artistic sense.

My Mood
    Gay

ola - A couple of names come to mind quickly when you mention "name" or "big" female directors ...

Penny Marshall ( Big and League of Their Own ) and Jane Campion ( oscar nominee for best director for The Piano )

And though Catherine Hardwicke has the biggest single box office for a female director, with Twilight ( which I think is, sorry, basically, crap ), I would submit that if anyone saw Thirteeen or Lords of Dogtown, you would see she is a very talented director.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

She is the one directed Thirteen?! Wow.

My Mood
    Gay

She is the one directed Thirteen?! Wow.
    Yes.

She also co-wrote it with star Nikki Reed. The woman has some real talent.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's right!
    Oh, I still have Netflix. It's awesome, not sure how I lived without it.

It's just that when I see that Redbox has a film that I want to see, I sometimes just rent it from there instead of having to wait for Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    That's right!
    Oh, I still have Netflix. It's awesome, not sure how I lived without it.
    Nor I. It makes renting movies so much easier.
    Oh, and did I tell you I finally got around to watching Tell No One? It was really good, thanks

And thanks Melike I'm glad you share some of the same points of view with me concerning films. I don't think good special effects alone can make a film good, there has to be something else there for me. But I was just thinking, can you imagine had that technology been around years ago, if they had used something like that for Jurassic Park, how awesome would that be

I'll be curious to know what you think of Ponyo. Coming off of his last two films, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, which were a bit deeper for me, I felt this one was just lacking something. It was still a cute film though, and I would highly recommend it.

And I had no idea Catherine Hardwicke had even directed another film before Twilight. That was one of the most poorly executed films I have ever seen, I pretty much wrote her off as a director after seeing it.

Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle will always be my favorites. I will watch Ponyo tomorrow.

Absolutely that is what I meant, Heather!
    I wish they made horror movies in 3D.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 135 of 267 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 133 134 135 136 137 145 185 235 ... LastLast