Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 227 of 266 FirstFirst ... 127 177 217 225 226 227 228 229 237 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,675 of 6642

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I am in the minority but I am tired of comic book movies. I have 100s of comic books from my youth, love comic books, and was excited when they started making these, however the actual movies have become monotonous with never ending battle scenes and a focus on CGI. Boring to me...#BtMe

They have forgotten the face of their father.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been tired of them for awhile now, too. Unfortunately, they're going to keep churning them out as long as they're eaten up.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I've been tired of them for awhile now, too. Unfortunately, they're going to keep churning them out as long as they're eaten up.
    I can't give you rep the normal way so here it is....

I promise you the great big tentacled one is your friend.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

I guess it's not time yet for our annual Oscars thread but this is a head-scratcher:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/ac...bc-1201992305/
    At the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Board of Governors meeting on Tuesday night, the 54 governors voted to add a new category to the Oscars. Per tradition, some 7,000 Academy voters, experts in their field, voted in by their colleagues, will weigh in on the best films of the year in 24 categories covering the crafts of moviemaking, from cinematography to sound, as well as the four acting categories, directing, writing, animation, foreign language, documentary, and fiction shorts and features.

But this year there will be one more: Best Popular Film. The Academy is bowing to pressure from ABC, which is anxious about historic low ratings for its telecast. The next Oscars will air on February 24, 2019 and, in 2020, will move up from February 23 to February 9, the earliest date ever, in a bid to jump ahead of multiple rival awards shows–which will, in turn, move ahead of the Oscars. (In the early days of its history, the Oscars were held in May, moved to April and March, then February.)

The Board also finally succumbed to building pressure to keep the show to three hours and not present live some of the less sexy craft categories, following the lead of other awards shows like the Tonys. (Sexy categories like Sound Mixing and Editing will be presented live during commercial breaks, then edited into the show.) This also serves to undermine the integrity of these annual global awards, which may be losing relevance as a mainstream shared event, but are still revered by cinephiles around the world.

The Academy’s message to members from CEO Dawn Hudson and re-elected president John Bailey is below:

Dear Member,

Last night, the Board of Governors met to elect new board officers, and discuss and approve significant changes to the Oscars telecast.

The Board of Governors, staff, Academy members, and various working groups spent the last several months discussing improvements to the show.

Tonight, the Board approved three key changes:

1. A three-hour Oscars telecast

We are committed to producing an entertaining show in three hours, delivering a more accessible Oscars for our viewers worldwide.

To honor all 24 award categories, we will present select categories live, in the Dolby Theatre, during commercial breaks (categories to be determined). The winning moments will then be edited and aired later in the broadcast.

2. New award category

We will create a new category for outstanding achievement in popular film. Eligibility requirements and other key details will be forthcoming.

3. Earlier airdate for 92nd Oscars

The date of the 92nd Oscars telecast will move to Sunday, February 9, 2020, from the previously announced February 23. The date change will not affect awards eligibility dates or the voting process.

The 91st Oscars telecast remains as announced on Sunday, February 24, 2019.

We have heard from many of you about improvements needed to keep the Oscars and our Academy relevant in a changing world. The Board of Governors took this charge seriously.

We are excited about these steps, and look forward to sharing more details with you.

John Bailey and Dawn Hudson

Clearly, the hope is that adding the Best Popular Film category to the telecast will improve viewership and build up historically low ratings, which have sagged since the move from five to up to ten Best Picture nominees has failed to yield many mainstream contenders. But what does popular have to do with best? It’s up to the Academy members to make that determination. The rules regarding the new category have yet to be revealed, which opens the floodgates for opposition.

This year, for example, Disney and Marvel’s “Black Panther” had an excellent chance of making it to the Best Picture and many other races. Now we may never know if it had a chance to earn its rightful place at the top of the Hollywood firmament, as it could be sequestered in the meaningless “popular film” category. This is a damn shame.

Country
    Country Flag

Did y'all see this slumber party shot from the new Wreck-It-Ralph? How cute is this??

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I guess it's not time yet for our annual Oscars thread but this is a head-scratcher:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/ac...bc-1201992305/
    At the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Board of Governors meeting on Tuesday night, the 54 governors voted to add a new category to the Oscars. Per tradition, some 7,000 Academy voters, experts in their field, voted in by their colleagues, will weigh in on the best films of the year in 24 categories covering the crafts of moviemaking, from cinematography to sound, as well as the four acting categories, directing, writing, animation, foreign language, documentary, and fiction shorts and features.

But this year there will be one more: Best Popular Film. The Academy is bowing to pressure from ABC, which is anxious about historic low ratings for its telecast. The next Oscars will air on February 24, 2019 and, in 2020, will move up from February 23 to February 9, the earliest date ever, in a bid to jump ahead of multiple rival awards shows–which will, in turn, move ahead of the Oscars. (In the early days of its history, the Oscars were held in May, moved to April and March, then February.)

The Board also finally succumbed to building pressure to keep the show to three hours and not present live some of the less sexy craft categories, following the lead of other awards shows like the Tonys. (Sexy categories like Sound Mixing and Editing will be presented live during commercial breaks, then edited into the show.) This also serves to undermine the integrity of these annual global awards, which may be losing relevance as a mainstream shared event, but are still revered by cinephiles around the world.

The Academy’s message to members from CEO Dawn Hudson and re-elected president John Bailey is below:

Dear Member,

Last night, the Board of Governors met to elect new board officers, and discuss and approve significant changes to the Oscars telecast.

The Board of Governors, staff, Academy members, and various working groups spent the last several months discussing improvements to the show.

Tonight, the Board approved three key changes:

1. A three-hour Oscars telecast

We are committed to producing an entertaining show in three hours, delivering a more accessible Oscars for our viewers worldwide.

To honor all 24 award categories, we will present select categories live, in the Dolby Theatre, during commercial breaks (categories to be determined). The winning moments will then be edited and aired later in the broadcast.

2. New award category

We will create a new category for outstanding achievement in popular film. Eligibility requirements and other key details will be forthcoming.

3. Earlier airdate for 92nd Oscars

The date of the 92nd Oscars telecast will move to Sunday, February 9, 2020, from the previously announced February 23. The date change will not affect awards eligibility dates or the voting process.

The 91st Oscars telecast remains as announced on Sunday, February 24, 2019.

We have heard from many of you about improvements needed to keep the Oscars and our Academy relevant in a changing world. The Board of Governors took this charge seriously.

We are excited about these steps, and look forward to sharing more details with you.

John Bailey and Dawn Hudson

Clearly, the hope is that adding the Best Popular Film category to the telecast will improve viewership and build up historically low ratings, which have sagged since the move from five to up to ten Best Picture nominees has failed to yield many mainstream contenders. But what does popular have to do with best? It’s up to the Academy members to make that determination. The rules regarding the new category have yet to be revealed, which opens the floodgates for opposition.

This year, for example, Disney and Marvel’s “Black Panther” had an excellent chance of making it to the Best Picture and many other races. Now we may never know if it had a chance to earn its rightful place at the top of the Hollywood firmament, as it could be sequestered in the meaningless “popular film” category. This is a damn shame.
    We are not starting an Oscar thread yet!

That said, this needs to be discussed. To me, this is one of the dumber decisions the Academy has ever made. They are trying to cater to an audience that doesn't give two Saoirse Ronan's about the Oscars. The saddest part is they will be giving out some of the awards during the commercial breaks. What a disgrace.

Lastly, by creating this category, they are saying some films aren't worthy of actually be considered for Best Picture. To me, that is the worst part of this whole thing.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I don't get the big deal about a 3 hour show. Most of the shows are about 3hrs30 mins...wtf is an extra 30 minutes if you're already going to tune in for 3 hours?

And they're catering to an audience who won't shut the fuck up about how the Oscars 'doesn't represent most movie goers' because most people have pedestrian taste in movies. I mean, I like a good blockbuster as much as the next person, but are they deserving of oscars because they're popular and make lots of money? Of course not. People that complain their comic book movies won't win oscars are people that don't like oscar fare, so screw em. These people just want to oscars to turn into the Grammies: give the most popular, successful stuff the awards. The reason I like The Oscars is because (though they're not infallible) put quality and craftsmanship at the forefront. Sure it's still political and opinionated, but most years the right people get the awards, especially in the technical/craft categories.

That said, I'm not exactly opposed to honouring the best pop film of the year. It just depends on how they're going to execute it. My one beef with the oscars is that too often genre films don't get any recognition or win anything. So if it's more along the lines of 'well, Get Out isn't going to win best picture, but it's the best genre film of the year', I'd be okay with it. But it's going to be full of comic book movies and stuff. I've heard this award jokingly referred to as The Black Panther award.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    We are not starting an Oscar thread yet!
    I'll just keep hijacking this one then

Country
    Country Flag

Great news!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So the "Popular" Oscar is no more! Glad they came to their senses about the stupidity of that.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I agree, that sounded very bizarre to me. I will agree that they need more diversity in their voters and the people that they vote for. I know I've complained numerous times about the same actors being nominated almost every year regardless of the film they're in.

I don't like the idea of them cutting awards from the broadcast though. Personally I would cut the performances, maybe keep one or two, but it's a movie award show not the Grammys.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, they always have the Original Song performances, which eats up at least 10 minutes. And if Original Songs get to be performed, why not Original Score? Or some other performance/demonstration by other nominated categories? I guess the songs are one of the most mainstream aspects of the show (and they probably figure they'll get some viewers that way), but I think it either needs to go away completely to free up those minutes or the Academy needs to do some brainstorming to breathe some new life into the performance/creative aspects of the show.

I'm also not a big fan of doing some of the technical awards during commercial breaks, but I have a feeling something's gotta give somewhere. With last year's show being the least watched ever, the Academy's gotta be getting nervous. The average moviegoer/TV watcher just doesn't watch 3.5 hr. award shows.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Not to be callous but can we maybe streamline some of the technical awards like Sound or Costume? I mean, do we really need Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Sound Design, Costume Design, Make Up Design, etc .,

Don't want to undermine the achievements and hard work (and I'm sure it's hard work), but I could personally do with a lot less of those given that this is an event that's trying to keep my attention for 3.5 hours.

Country
    Country Flag

I mean, technically they're all separate jobs, but I get what you're saying.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

I was against a Halloween reboot but sounds like it will be worth it actually:

Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to try really hard not to read any reviews, scores, or grades for Halloween. I'm trying not to watch the new trailer or TV spots either. I really want to be surprised with this one.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm really looking forward to this one. Trying to stay optimistic because I really do hope it's good.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I have a very specific question for the first among you to see the new Halloween: what is the nature of the nudity in it (IMDB says it has some)?

I ask because I'm going to see this with my wife, and she HATES female nudity in TV/movies (if it's a dude, no problem). Everything is relative, of course, so if it's a corpse laying in a ditch or on a slab, cool, but if it's, shall we say, a healthy young female in a brightly lit room, that would be very much less cool (and if it's the latter, it then matters how long this person is on screen - a flash is one thing, a 30-second lingering shot another). Either way, I'd like to know what to expect on this going in (without knowing the plot around it, or course).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Yeah, they always have the Original Song performances, which eats up at least 10 minutes. And if Original Songs get to be performed, why not Original Score? Or some other performance/demonstration by other nominated categories? I guess the songs are one of the most mainstream aspects of the show (and they probably figure they'll get some viewers that way), but I think it either needs to go away completely to free up those minutes or the Academy needs to do some brainstorming to breathe some new life into the performance/creative aspects of the show.

I'm also not a big fan of doing some of the technical awards during commercial breaks, but I have a feeling something's gotta give somewhere. With last year's show being the least watched ever, the Academy's gotta be getting nervous. The average moviegoer/TV watcher just doesn't watch 3.5 hr. award shows.
    The average moviegoer doesn't watch award shows period. That's especially the case with younger people.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I have a very specific question for the first among you to see the new Halloween: what is the nature of the nudity in it (IMDB says it has some)?

I ask because I'm going to see this with my wife, and she HATES female nudity in TV/movies (if it's a dude, no problem). Everything is relative, of course, so if it's a corpse laying in a ditch or on a slab, cool, but if it's, shall we say, a healthy young female in a brightly lit room, that would be very much less cool (and if it's the latter, it then matters how long this person is on screen - a flash is one thing, a 30-second lingering shot another). Either way, I'd like to know what to expect on this going in (without knowing the plot around it, or course).
    So she wasn't cool with the original Halloween?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I don't know if she's ever seen it, but no, she wouldn't be cool with it (anytime a horror movie is coming up, she'll ask "is it going to be full of naked girls again?"). And although I've probably seen 75% through clips and partial viewings and know the story, I've also never seen the whole thing. I have seen most of the sequels, however.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I don't know if she's ever seen it, but no, she wouldn't be cool with it (anytime a horror movie is coming up, she'll ask "is it going to be full of naked girls again?"). And although I've probably seen 75% through clips and partial viewings and know the story, I've also never seen the whole thing. I have seen most of the sequels, however.
    lol Why does she care? I feel for ya man.. that would such. A lot of movies have the female form on display. Do you have to forward the movie or look away? If so.. that REALLY SUCKS.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 227 of 266 FirstFirst ... 127 177 217 225 226 227 228 229 237 ... LastLast