Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 267 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 135 ... LastLast

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, one leads to another : if the infected can't survive 28 months, then by logic they wouldn't be able to survive...

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Well, one leads to another : if the infected can't survive 28 months, then by logic they wouldn't be able to survive...
    A smal bit of virus is in a freezer that noone knows about. Some dipshit inadevertantly releases the virus, and it's mayhem all over again. I LOVE postapocolyptic fiction!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Yeah, I dont really care too much for special features either.
    Funny thing about me is that I hardly ever watch anything other than the deleted scenes and outtakes, but if there isn't any I get upset. I'm an idiot.

Hey FP, didn't you say you had bought Gates of Fire? Did you like it?
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by To The Dark Tower Came View Post

That's pretty much happened to me with every book I've liked that's been made into a movie. I haven't seen I am Legend yet, and it's one of those I'll wait for PPV, or the DVD to come up for rent. There's a cavalcade of movies that could be rattled off where the movie was just a "good movie" if you didn't know it came from a book.

The Lord of the Rings movies come to mind. Good movies, beautifully filmed, well acted, special effects bonanza, but it would be hard to craft movies (even giving three, three hour films) that could do the books justice. While I haven't read the Legend books, I would guess the same applies. The need to make a mass-appeal movie means the need to pick the original material apart.

As a fan of comic books, also, it's a double whammy. Every time something comes to the big screen that I've read issue after issue of, I am almost always exiting the theater with "but why didn't they just..."

It's hard to be a fan of something and see it "made flesh", because we're already invested. And the people making the film are not-so-much. They have to make moola for the studio.
    Much prefer to watch the Extended Lord of the Rings than read the books again, ever. I only read the books because I didn't want to wait for the final two movies - never read Fellowship, don't care to.

TerribleT, I read Lost World before the movie and wow! Was that different. Even great movies like A Simple Plan varied from the source material. I never see a movie as copying the book but as an interpretation of the book. In some cases (Dreamcatcher comes to mind) it just plain doesn't work where as in The Shining it does. Several movie adaptions of books I've read are coming out (The Ruins, The Road) and am worried about their transfers. The Ruins, will probably become a teenage thriller will weak characters completely bypassing the prevailing themes in the book. As long as the movie captures the essential point then I'm generally happy.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Man, Gates of Fire is the fucking shit! My favorite section of the book was the detailed explanation of the Spartan phalanx and the way they prepare their troops for battle.

Along the Path of the Beam Vasagi is on a distinguished road Vasagi's Avatar

I seriously doubt Boyle will name the third installment 28 Months Later, or even set the story for the third film 28 months later for that matter. In Weeks it is revealed that the timeframe of the virus breaking out and the time that the last infected died of starvation is only a few weeks. There would be no way to justify the idea of the infected still being alive after 28 m onths...unless they decided to start taking smaller bites

Using the ending to Weeks as a starting point, I think the most likely/logical title and way to base the story of the third film is by using the header

Spoiler:
    Another 28 Days.

-Fin
    Yeah, they starve out after so many weeks, but they were confined to Britain. How long can the plague last when there's a much larger area to move around in? And a whole lot more people?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    ... and sometimes movies prompt people to read books they might not have in the first place.
    I can certainly vouch for that. (A Clockwork Orange, American Psycho -among others)

So, I got around to seeing Alien vs Predator : Requiem last night - fucking loved it! The only gripe I have about the movie are the way that the humans were mixed into the plot. I don't give a shit about their past or what emotional state they were in before the arrival, this movie is about Aliens and Predator(s) dismembering each other and the only reason that humans should have even made an appearance in this flick is to be used as cannon-fodder for the Predator or as chew-toys for the Aliens. Now, with that out of the way, let's get down to the film's strenghts - It is clearly obvious that the brothers directing the film are die hard AVP fans. Throughout this bloody endeavor, we are treated to many nods and tributes to the original films that this flick is based on, lots of familiar sounds and body movements by our protagonists. The film is visually arresting, with the aliens and predators looking beautifully (in a sick, brutal, extraterrestrial kind of way) bathed lightnings' glow. The action set pieces are adrenaline fueled and plentiful (I almost busted one when Predator used his cloak to trap a few of his otherworldly counterparts), and both the Aliens and Predator attack each other with that ferocity that we all know and love. All in all, the film is effective as an action piece and will certainly be twice as entertaining for fans of either franchise. CHeck it out!

-Fin

Gunslinger Apprentice To The Dark Tower Came is on a distinguished road To The Dark Tower Came's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Though, let's be aware that 300, based on a kick-ass graphic novel, based on historical events isn't accurate, really. While there were 300 Spartans at Thermopylae, the troops they led totaled around 6700 men. In the final stand of the Greeks, there were more than the film showed. They also had an entire surge of the battle when Leonidas was killed, battling to see who would get his body.

This however doesn't take away from the the very cool messages of the story, and the way it was produced. My favorite technique was the shifting from slow-motion to regular, to sped up action. They used three cameras all side-by-side running at different speeds so when they edited it, they could do the shifts almost seamlessly.
    "...quiet as despair, I turn’d from him..."

Posts made by user To The Dark Tower Came
    are his opinion. Any feelings of anger, angst,
    or weltsmertz please see a licensed mental
    health professional immediately.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmm, you might have a point there. However, since we don't know if [the following is in reference to Week's ending]
    Spoiler:
    the virus was spread only through France. Perhaps the French government might contain the infection and quarantine France the way that the British did.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm, you might have a point there. However, since we don't know if [the following is in reference to Week's ending]
    Spoiler:
    the virus was spread only through France. Perhaps the French government might contain the infection and quarantine France the way that the British did.
    oh, that would be really ridiculous!
    Spoiler:
    I thought the Eiffel Tower etc was rather a symbol of the virus spreading worldwide, but if they reserved it only for France, it leaves them with a few hundred more countries - if they deal with them one by one, the future of everyone engaged in making that movie, their children and grandchildren is guaranteed

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm with you Jean, I'm hoping that what I posted up there isn't what comes to pass, but we can't rule it out either. Either way, I think this will be one hell of a movie!

Along the Path of the Beam Vasagi is on a distinguished road Vasagi's Avatar

I'm with you Jean, I'm hoping that what I posted up there isn't what comes to pass, but we can't rule it out either. Either way, I think this will be one hell of a movie!
    I got from the movies, if nothing else, that that infection is damn hard to quarantine

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

"Sucklebloo! Activate Le Code Red!"

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Too much tongue kissing to do that.

I think, if it expanded, it could go on for many, many years to come.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Got around to seeing I am Legend today. Fair at best. Almost boring.
    Hard to believe the part where
    Spoiler:
    Neville cracks up on his Birthday for no really valid reason.

3 Beers on the RFSPRS.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Saw I Am Legend the other day. I enjoyed it, but I agree with what Erin said earlier. I wasn't expecting it to be as emotional as it was. At one point during the film, I could hear quite a few people around me crying.
    On a lighter note, I saw Black Sheep recently (not the Chris Farley one, the new horror one from New Zealand). I loved it. It was so hilarious. If you enjoy cheesy B horror films then definately check this one out.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Jerome - I think you're the first person on this board whom has given I Am Legend a negative review, everyone else has given pretty positive feedback.

*EDIT*

Case in point - Heather's post above! Perfect timing Heather!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

3 beers out of six is more neutral than negative. I think the scenes designed to tug at the heart obviously worked for some people, but they didn't for me.

Gunslinger Apprentice Lance is on a distinguished road Lance's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    On a lighter note, I saw Black Sheep recently (not the Chris Farley one, the new horror one from New Zealand). I loved it. It was so hilarious. If you enjoy cheesy B horror films then definately check this one out.
    I've been wanting to see that! I LMFAO the first time I saw the preview. "Get ready for the violence of the lambs"
    I'm Joe Collins, bitch. Recognize!

"I don't like pot. It dulls my hatred" - Darlene Conner

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I've been wanting to see that! I LMFAO the first time I saw the preview. "Get ready for the violence of the lambs"
    You must if you haven't yet. It is absolutly hilarious!

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Went to see Sweeny Todd last night. Generally I'm not a fan of musicals, but I'll watch most anything Tim Burton makes, so I made an exception for this one.

I'm not familar with the stage production that the film is based on, so I can't comment on that aspect.

My first thought during the opening title sequence was that it was a little strange seeing a Tim Burton film that wasn't scored by Danny Elfman. The music still works well though, very bombastic and over the top theatrical in the begining, but it works well with the acting and dark humor used throughout.

Everything else is vintage Burton. Visually, I think this was a lot stronger than some of his recent films and more of his classic dreary look. 98% of the movie is at night and the colors have been heavily desaturated to make it even darker, well all of the color except for blood red that is. ;-)

The entire movie has a very stylized look, with the exception of the gore. That seemed fairly realistic, if heavily exaggerated. I honestly didn't expect the huge amount of blood from Burton. Given the subject matter, he does work and I thought the end image of the film was really very twisted and disturbing.
    Some friends I went with compared the amount of blood to the Kill Bill movies, I haven't seen them, so I would compare it to Bram Stoker's Dracula from the '90s.

There were actually even more songs than I expected. I could be wrong, but I think more dialogue was sung than spoken. It worked very well though and I thought the entire cast did a great job.

That's about the best I can do without bringing up the plot and spoilers, so I'll stop there.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    You must if you haven't yet. It is absolutly hilarious!
    Yeah, it's pretty great. I bought it just on a whim and totally enjoyed it.

Jon MUST see this film.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok, I just finished watching Weeks, it was an awesome movie!!! I just have to say that this could go on forever in any number of different paths.

Spoiler:
    Does Flynn (the helicopter pilot) know that Andy is a carrier of the virus, if not, Andy could also spread it the way his mom did. I didn't get the impression that he knew, or that Tam had any intention of telling him.

Good flicks, thanks for the recommendation guys/gals!!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad you liked the films T!

As for your question

Spoiler:
    I think we can safely assume that Flynn does not know about the infection that Danny carries (at least not at first) and the catastrophe it could and apparently did cause. I wonder what Boyle will come up with in the third flick as far as an explanation as to how Danny spread the virus.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 267 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 135 ... LastLast