Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 225 of 266 FirstFirst ... 125 175 215 223 224 225 226 227 235 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,625 of 6642

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Interesting, it sounds intriguing and now I want to see it again

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've always felt that Annihilation would get made into a movie someday, it had too much potential not to. I'm glad to see that my faith in Garland has (apparently) not been misplaced, reading really good things about this film.

Might even go watch it tonight...

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Hmm...then maybe I will like Annihilation after all. I was avoiding it because it looked exactly the opposite of intellectual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'm really worried about Annihilation. I absolutely loved the book. But the trailer doesn't really look much like the book at all. I'm worried they went in and took tiny bits and made their own story out of it, which will be a shame. I'm hesitant to go see it, even though I'd probably rank the book in my top 10. I'm waiting to hear some reviews about how similar it is to the book, but my guess is I'll just wait for it to come out on dvd.
    The film is directed by Alex Garland. He's incredibly talented as a filmmaker. He directed Ex Machina, so I feel like he has the tools to make a thought provoking film and do the book justice. I haven't read the book, so I will leave that up to you guys to determine.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So with Mute getting poor reviews, I'm wondering if Netflix should just get out of the original movie business and just focus on show content. Someone on another site made an interesting point that Netflix original movies have become the new direct-to-video (albeit with bigger budgets and flashier actors attached).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmm...then maybe I will like Annihilation after all. I was avoiding it because it looked exactly the opposite of intellectual.
    So with Mute getting poor reviews, I'm wondering if Netflix should just get out of the original movie business and just focus on show content. Someone on another site made an interesting point that Netflix original movies have become the new direct-to-video (albeit with bigger budgets and flashier actors attached).
    I was going to mention Mute. I'm kind of worried about Duncan Jones at this point. That's two stinkers in a row.

Films like Mudbound and Beasts of No Nation were two films that were great. Bright was supposed to be bad, but people seemed to like it and that's a film they had a huge part in producing as well.

Netflix does have to be careful what they are purchasing though. Some of these studios are using them as a dumping ground and that might be a problem moving forward.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The moment you realize that Coco is essentially the same film as Kubo and the Two Strings.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I heard about this the other day. I'm so excited! It wouldn't be my choice for him to continue on with their story, but I'm excited he's working on something new.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So I watched a random movie, "Mayhem" starring Steven Yuen from The Walking Dead. Was a lot more entertaining than I had expected. Not the best, not the worst, but fun.

Think Zombieland, but without Zombies.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I heard about this the other day. I'm so excited! It wouldn't be my choice for him to continue on with their story, but I'm excited he's working on something new.
    Yeah, I don't know how he plans to go on especially after the ending of The Devil's Rejects, but I'm definitely intrigued, especially since I think The Devil's Rejects was his best film (haven't seen either of his Halloweens, though).

The title makes me think the film is going to be about the Fireflys in Hell (which I think could be kind of cool). I could totally see him setting the film in Hell and having
    Spoiler:
    them make some kind of bargain with the devil to bring them back to life, setting up for another sequel.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oh that sounds interesting. I'm curious what he's going to do as well.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post
    So I watched a random movie, "Mayhem" starring Steven Yuen from The Walking Dead. Was a lot more entertaining than I had expected. Not the best, not the worst, but fun.

You know, I heard a lot of good things about that one last year, but lost track of it. I will have to jot it down and catch it at some point.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post

You know, I heard a lot of good things about that one last year, but lost track of it. I will have to jot it down and catch it at some point.
    Curious what your thoughts will be after you get a chance to watch.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just got out of Ready Player One, which is excellent, and it featured The Shining (movie) rather heavily. Some incredible sights on the screen for that portion. I enjoyed it and the whole movie rather well.
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TCCBodhi View Post
    I just got out of Ready Player One, which is excellent, and it featured The Shining (movie) rather heavily. Some incredible sights on the screen for that portion. I enjoyed it and the whole movie rather well.
    Have you read the book? I'm always interested to hear someone's take on a film in regards to whether or not they have read the source material. I like to get both sides.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I read the book about a year and a half ago, just before the movie was announced. I read quite a bit, and RPO is one of the best novels of it's types that I've read in years (but of course, I'm a child of the 80's). The book is FILLED with references to that 80s pop culture, making me think that licensing issues in novels are much less problematic there than in visual mediums.

That said, it appears that having the Spielberg name attached to the film must have eased a lot of the licensing issues that it otherwise would have had. There are some changes to some of the pop culture references used for several of the major plot points, but it never felt like they were changes just to 'make do'. There was some major love (and $$$ surely) in recreating some of Kubrick's The Shining visuals, although to do so, it removed one of the big references used in the book.

My imagination had a little grander and grittier scale for 'The Stacks' than the movie did, but the movie did good justice to the IOI Sixer building and the Loyalty Centers. I do dislike that in typical Spielberg fashion, some of the 'real life' danger is minimized to a degree. Casting was generally pretty good, with Halliday being MY standout. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Simon Pegg's Og.

That's about what I can think of without anything giving away any major spoilers. I think that the movie will please readers, and generally understandable if you HAVEN'T read the book. We WERE quite surprised that our opening IMAX showing wasn't even close to sold out. Hopefully, once the weekend hits it will fill up and perhaps hit capacity in non-premium theaters.
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

That said, it appears that having the Spielberg name attached to the film must have eased a lot of the licensing issues that it otherwise would have had...
    Without question. In fact I'm convinced that was a principle factor in hiring Spielberg in the first place.

Also, I'm as far from a book purist as there can possibly be. Things that work in one medium simply won't in another. As long as they capture the spirit of the novel as closely as they can I'll be happy.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ready Player One is 10/10. Amy King fan... will love in more ways than one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    That said, it appears that having the Spielberg name attached to the film must have eased a lot of the licensing issues that it otherwise would have had...
    Without question. In fact I'm convinced that was a principle factor in hiring Spielberg in the first place.

Also, I'm as far from a book purist as there can possibly be. Things that work in one medium simply won't in another. As long as they capture the spirit of the novel as closely as they can I'll be happy.
    This one also has the advantage that the author of the book also wrote the screenplay for the movie.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Was it better than the book?
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by adammoro View Post

It’s a Shawshank thing... if you get my drift.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by adammoro View Post

It’s a Shawshank thing... if you get my drift.

Oh right, I saw somewhere earlier it has a scene related to one of King’s more famous books (don’t want to say which because I’m not sure if it’s at all a spoiler). I was asking if you thought the book, Ready Player One, is better than the movie. I keep having great books ruined by their movies lately so I’d want to hold off on watching it before reading it, if that’s the case. But, if you think the movie is as good, or better, than the book then I’ll watch the movie now while it’s in the theaters.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I read the book about a year and a half ago, just before the movie was announced. I read quite a bit, and RPO is one of the best novels of it's types that I've read in years (but of course, I'm a child of the 80's). The book is FILLED with references to that 80s pop culture, making me think that licensing issues in novels are much less problematic there than in visual mediums.

That said, it appears that having the Spielberg name attached to the film must have eased a lot of the licensing issues that it otherwise would have had. There are some changes to some of the pop culture references used for several of the major plot points, but it never felt like they were changes just to 'make do'. There was some major love (and $$$ surely) in recreating some of Kubrick's The Shining visuals, although to do so, it removed one of the big references used in the book.

My imagination had a little grander and grittier scale for 'The Stacks' than the movie did, but the movie did good justice to the IOI Sixer building and the Loyalty Centers. I do dislike that in typical Spielberg fashion, some of the 'real life' danger is minimized to a degree. Casting was generally pretty good, with Halliday being MY standout. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Simon Pegg's Og.

That's about what I can think of without anything giving away any major spoilers. I think that the movie will please readers, and generally understandable if you HAVEN'T read the book. We WERE quite surprised that our opening IMAX showing wasn't even close to sold out. Hopefully, once the weekend hits it will fill up and perhaps hit capacity in non-premium theaters.
    As a fellow child of the 80's and person who loved the book, this review has eased some of my fears.

Country
    Country Flag

I meant that Shawshank movie is as good or better than the book.... a rare case.
    This I found in that same bout. I loved what they did and I loved what they changed. It brought me back to my childhood, the music, The effects, the lighting... the mood!!! It’s one of the few movies I would give a perfect score. I have tickets for imax Monday. I’ll see his over and over cause of all the things to pick up. Easter egg city. This will be a Spielberg classic.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Chatty

I meant that Shawshank movie is as good or better than the book.... a rare case.
    This I found in that same bout. I loved what they did and I loved what they changed. It brought me back to my childhood, the music, The effects, the lighting... the mood!!! It’s one of the few movies I would give a perfect score. I have tickets for imax Monday. I’ll see his over and over cause of all the things to pick up. Easter egg city. This will be a Spielberg classic.
    Wow that’s some high praise. I haven’t read Shawshank yet (I know, I’m working on it) so I didn’t realize that’s what you’d meant. That’s great to know, though! I really didn’t want to have to skip the theater experience for this one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 225 of 266 FirstFirst ... 125 175 215 223 224 225 226 227 235 ... LastLast