Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 206 of 267 FirstFirst ... 106 156 196 204 205 206 207 208 216 256 ... LastLast
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 6654

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

One of these days, I'm going to make my own. I just don't have the time right now. It would be so much fun. Time consuming, especially to gather the clips, but fun.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting list, Mike. I enjoyed reading that.

I really enjoyed The Gift, didn't care for It Follows, liked The Visit a lot, and was a little disappointed by Tomorrowland (it was only of my most anticipated movies of the summer).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Interesting list, Mike. I enjoyed reading that.

I really enjoyed The Gift, didn't care for It Follows, liked The Visit a lot, and was a little disappointed by Tomorrowland (it was only of my most anticipated movies of the summer).
    Thanks, Ricky! I always enjoy putting together my Underrated list. I feel the same way about Tomorrowland, but I feel like people are making it out to be way worse than it actually was. If I wasn't anticipating it so much, I probably would have really liked it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That list made me laugh. I loved your comments.

From your list I've only seen Terminator Genisys. I liked it, but my problem with it was that it was basically a re-tread of plot points from the first two. And the whole
    Spoiler:
    time travel/alternate history stuff was unnecessarily convoluted.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw the latest Terminator movie recently and have one problem with it.
    Spoiler:
    How the heck does that one guy know who they are if they changed the past?

Does whatever a spiderman does.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That list made me laugh. I loved your comments.
    Thanks, Ricky!

My Top 15 Favorite Films of 2015

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Check out my list of My Most Anticipated Films for 2016. I have write-ups for all 75 films, they're light, fun and informative. There will be a quiz afterwards so you better read every one.

My Most Anticipated Films of 2016

Country
    Country Flag

Mike!

"58. Voyage of Time
    It's Terrence Malick again with more pretentious bullshit."
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Watched "Future Shock: The Story of 2000AD" with my parents the other day. Not many films we usually watch together, especially as dad isn't too keen on sci-fi, but we all enjoy a well-made documentary. Usually, they're music documentaries, but I thought one about comics could interest him, especially as I thought Future Shock did a really good job of explaining everything about both 2000AD and how it impacted comics in general. He really enjoyed it, both for how in-depth it was and also up-front (there were many moments we all laughed, particularly at comments like, 'Sometimes, you have to shut them up and say, "Fuck off! How much are you gonna pay me?!?" And that's the way you've go to deal with these people!'). He actually learned a lot - despite knowing that I collect it every week, he didn't even know 2000AD and Judge Dredd were British before the documentary.

As a massive 2000AD fan, I really enjoyed Future Shock when I saw the UK premiere back in 2014, so it's nice to know that it's so informative and actually entertaining that it passed the "dad test", to the point where even if you don't know anything about comics, the documentary is still worth a watch.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Mike!

"58. Voyage of Time
    It's Terrence Malick again with more pretentious bullshit."

I just can't get into Malick's stuff. I did really like The Tree of Life though.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh fuck no, you're dissing Malick? Dem is fighting words.

He pushes the philosophical aesthetic of films like few can, or would. A true visionary.

Country
    Country Flag

Also known as pretentious bullshit.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Also known as pretentious bullshit.
    *SLAMS THROUGH THE MOTHER-FUCKING WALL*

Sorry, did somebody call me?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The first Malick film I ever saw was The Thin Red Line in 1998, which also happened to be the year Saving Private Ryan came out. Needless to say, Saving Private Ryan made The Thin Red Line look like a pile of shit. Who knows, maybe if I had seen The Thin Red Line first I would feel completely different. Somehow I doubt that.

What philosophical aesthetic was he pushing in The New World? I must have missed that.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    The first Malick film I ever saw was The Thin Red Line in 1998, which also happened to be the year Saving Private Ryan came out. Needless to say, Saving Private Ryan made The Thin Red Line look like a pile of shit. Who knows, maybe if I had seen The Thin Red Line first I would feel completely different. Somehow I doubt that.

What philosophical aesthetic was he pushing in The New World? I must have missed that.
    Saving Private Ryan (which I love, as you well know) and The Thin Red Line are very, very different.

The Thin Red Line tackles the spiritual destruction of the souls of those who fight wars unlike any other war film before or since. Where SPR is about grand spectacle and elemental Good vs Evil (and a hefty dose of jingoism), TTRN is about the introspective horrors these expendable bodies go through and the mental edifices they erect to withstand the senseless bloodshed around them. Probably the only film I could compare it to is Apocalypse Now, both dealing with the more internal, anti climatic side of war.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Saving Private Ryan (which I love, as you well know) and The Thin Red Line are very, very different.
    Completely agree. Saving Private Ryan is a masterpiece. Easily one of the best War films ever made and Thin Red Line is a pile of shit.

Apocalypse Now runs circles around Thin Red Line too, by the way.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

So you're not even going to try and engage in a debate? That's cool. We don't all have the tools required to appreciate something as great as Malick's work.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

feverish!! bears, bears, bears want to engage in a debate,they've been longing for a good old debate for a year and a half
    the only problem is that I've seen neither of the films in question
    do you think bears might like them?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    feverish!! bears, bears, bears want to engage in a debate,they've been longing for a good old debate for a year and a half
    the only problem is that I've seen neither of the films in question
    do you think bears might like them?
    Jean! Good to see you back!

That is a difficult question to answer.. I don't remember if bears enjoy war films?

Saving Private Ryan is very Spielbergean and favors spectacle over everything else and is occasionally sentimental. If you want the more kinetic, high octane of the two watch this.

The Thin Red Line is an abstract concept grafted onto a war film. At it's core it's a poetically harrowing film about the nature of love, death, and war and the web connecting all three.

I think bears will enjoy both, but I don't know which you'd enjoy more.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

going by your description, TTRL sounds more like a bears' kind of film... but of course one never knows

Talking about genre, I don't really care what a film is about. My favorite "war film" (besides Russian films nobody here has watched) is Bridge on the River Kwai... where there's even no military action... or no actions at all, actually

I will totally watch both those films as soon as I can. My blood grew stale for the lack of good old dispute... and this seems like a good (re)starting point

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    So you're not even going to try and engage in a debate? That's cool. We don't all have the tools required to appreciate something as great as Malick's work.
    You've known me for over 10 years, so I'm pretty sure by now you realize I have all the tools necessary to appreciate any kind of film by any kind of filmmaker. I loved Malick's Tree of Life and I'm pretty sure there's a few posts floating around her with my deep thoughts regarding that film, so it's not like Malick's films are too cerebral for me. If that's what you're implying.

That being said, you have to remember that in my original post I stated that I saw the film when it came out in 1998, after Saving Private Ryan. I was 18. Admittedly, I did not, at the time, have the aforementioned tools to fully appreciate a Terrence Malick film. Obviously, because I saw the film so long ago I couldn't possibly engage in a productive debate. All I remember about the film is hating it.

Now, because you're my boy and enjoy the film so much, I'm willing to give the film another chance. I've been doing a lot of collecting of DVD's recently and I constantly come across The Thin Red Line in my travels and pass over it. I will pick it up for a buck or two and give it another chance.

I watched Braveheart with my dad when I was 15 and hated it. It's now one of my favorite films. Time changes many things, including one's capacity to appreciate things their mind wasn't developed enough to appreciate the first time. This could be one of those instances.

I'll get back to you.

Country
    Country Flag

I watched Braveheart with my dad when I was 15 and hated it. It's now one of my favorite films.
    This is soooooo great to hear! Every time I hear one of my favorite films being praised, it feels awesome. Especially since there's a lot of hate for Braveheart, which is totally beyond my comprehension.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 206 of 267 FirstFirst ... 106 156 196 204 205 206 207 208 216 256 ... LastLast