Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 267 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 143 193 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 6654

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think you saw it too late. This happens a lot to me with films like this.

You hear so much about it and expect it to be unbelievable. It's almost impossible for any film to live up to the hype.

I always try to lower my expectations when I watch films. This way I won't be disappointed.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

I watched Doubt yesterday and The Reader today, so here are my little rants.

I loved The Reader despite the fact that there wasn't anything particularly mind-blowing about it. Yeah, it was pretty faithful to the novel, but as is the case most of the time, it fell bit short from its literary counterpart.
    On the other hand, I loved the cast. Kate Winslet was as superb as I expected her to be, and I was pleasantly surprised by David Kross whose performance was, without question, magnificent. Ralph Fiennes was terrific, too, but he wasn't on screen most of the time (which was a shame because he's one of my favorite actors).
    The film does an excellent job at portraying the character's strange relationship, but I wish it would have focused a bit more on their circumstances and on the Germany they were living in at the moment.
    All in all, the performances were great, the story was touching, and it was shot absolutely beautifully. I recommend it.

As for Doubt...I can't say I liked it very much. Amy Adams and Philip Seymour Hoffman were probably the only two reasons why I didn't flat-out dislike the movie.
    For one, Meryl Streep was a huge letdown. Her overacting makes me think that the only reason she was nominated for any awards this year is because, well, she's Meryl Streep. And don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of hers. She was, in fact, the main reason why I wanted to watch the movie in the first place, but she stuck out like a sore thumb during the entire movie. While the rest of the cast acted natural, Streep acted like a paranoid villain in a cartoon. I understand that Catholic schools like the one depicted in Doubt usually really do have an intimidating and frighteningly strict nun/director, but I seriously expected Sister Aloysius to burst out into a full-blown evil cackle and bring out a poison apple from somewhere inside her costume.
    I also found it strange that Viola Davis has been nominated for a few Best Supporting Actress awards when she spends probably a maximum of ten minutes on screen.
    Doubt definitely has no shortage of drama, and the script was pretty well-written, in my opinion (although I haven't seen or read the original play), but I suppose the tilted camera angles, the ambiguity when referring to the relationship between the priest and the boy, and Mery Streep's bizarre performance were too distracting for me.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Love the UK Office!!

and Feve, how many times you gona watch Clockwork Orange?

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Pam, I watched Gunga Din the other night. I don't know, I couldn't really get into it. It's not that it was bad, just not really my type of movie I guess. Although I did think Joan was wonderful in it, even though she had such a tiny part.
    I found some of the other ones you recommended online on netflix to watch so I'll let you know when I see those.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I saw Frost/Nixon last night. Nixon was portrayed very well, a lot of intense acting with dialog and facial expressions. I was surprised how sympathetic Nixon was portrayed, while not shying away from the gravity of his actions concerning Watergate. I never felt that I was being hit over the head by either liberals or conservatives. Not a bad film.

Country
    Country Flag

I went to the movies again today on my ongoing pursuit to watch all the highly acclaimed films of the year and watched Slumdog Millionaire.
    I had very high hopes for it since it seems to win most (if not all) the awards it's been nominated for, but in no way did having such high expectations diminish the impact it had on me.
    Slumdog Millionaire is a masterfully-made rags-to-riches romantic fairy tale set in modern India. I don't want to spoil the movie to anyone who might read this and hasn't seen it, so I won't go into any plot details. I just wanted to say how much I loved it.
    The score was breathtaking; the cinematography was stunning; the sound and soundtrack were brilliant; and the directing was fantastic. All these elements contributed harmoniously to the ambiance and fluidity of the movie, and they, along with the outstanding performances delivered by both the young and older actors, make you feel as if you too are living the terrible and poverty-stricken childhood the main character, Jamal, has endured. You join Jamal and his brother Salim as they struggle to survive through life-threatening situations, all leading up to the realization of Jamal's destiny: to win two hundred million rupees in a game show and to live happily ever after with the love of his life, Latika.
    Slumdog Millionaire has heartbreaking and heartwarming moments as well as its fair share of funny ones. It even closes with a fun Bollywood-inspired dance number that obliges you to share everyone's joy at the end of the film.
    Anyway, enough of my blabbing.
    The point is that I really loved the movie, and I think it is one of the best films made in a while.
    I'm even thinking of picking up Q & A by Vikas Swarup.

Oh, and in case anyone else saw Slumdog, didn't Anil Kapoor bear a striking resemblance to George Michael?

Quote Originally Posted by idk, my bff jill? View Post

Oh, and in case anyone else saw Slumdog, didn't Anil Kapoor bear a striking resemblance to George Michael?
    Yeah, he did.

Country
    Country Flag

I actually laughed out loud in the scene where he's in the restroom with Dev Patel.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Grrr. All my friends went to see Slumdog while I was working Friday night.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Donnie darko, The 6th Sense, Star wars, Harry Potter 6, The wicker Man, The village, NightWatch, The Matrix, and about forty other films

Country
    Country Flag

I have that t-shirt.
    Threadless is the best.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw Gran Torino last night. I loved it. It was a classic slow moving Eastwood movie that was done really well. Clint has some of the best facial expressions of anger I've ever seen. My brother warned me in advance that the Ethnic Slurs were really hard to watch and it doesn't ease up. Knowing that helped but seriously it was really bad. I was sad to hear much of the audience laughing at some of the terms used.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Where can I get that T-shirt? It's the best.

I also saw Gran Torino and thought it was really good. Clint is Clint, which is one reason why I felt he didn't deserve a nomination. If you didn't nominate him for his roles in the Dirty Harry films, then you can't nominate him for Gran Torino.

The character is basically a compilation of his pervious roles, only old and grumpy. The racial slurs got old after a while. How many times can you hear him growl the term "gook" or "zipperhead?"

I was surprised there was so much laughter during the film. I will admit many of the lines were pretty funny. That's what most old people are like. My grandfather is exactly like that, so it was just funny to me.

The main weakness of the film were the Asian actors. I thought they were below average. Bordering on cringe worthy.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

I thought he was way better than his previous roles. The dialog was really good, too, between him and a lot of the characters like the Barber Shop guy and Tao.

I didn't have a problem with the racial slurs because they fit there just as much as the "n" word in Huck Finn. In my opinion it made the redemption more authentic.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Where can I get that T-shirt? It's the best.
    Here.
    It's in stock right now, but if you want to get it cheaper, wait until they put all the shirts for $5 or $10.
    That's what I always do.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

RocknRolla is on it's way to my house.
    I've been on a Ritchie kick lately, and can't wait to see this one.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My brother is a huge Ritchie fan, and when I told him that Ritchie is directing the Sherlocks Holmes movie, he all but made me promise that I'd go with him to see it opening night.

and I hope your answer was an enthusiastic "yes I most certainly will, how could I possibly pass up the chance to see a Ritchie film!!!"

It'll be interesting to see him do something like Sherlock Holmes.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ritchie and Robert Downey Jr. working on a project together? Is there a downside?

Answer:

Spoiler:
    Hellllll nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Not to mention Rachel McAdams.
    I can't wait to see Guy's take on Holmes, and Downey is Downey, of course he'll be good.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

OMGoodness, Rachel McAdams...

/swoon

Swoon indeed. She's so purty.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Rachel McAdams is one of my girl crushes. She is freaking gorgeous!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Excuse me, get in line please, thanks.

I saw her first.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 267 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 143 193 ... LastLast