Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 106 of 267 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 104 105 106 107 108 116 156 206 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 6655

Thread: General Movie Discussion - **please mark spoilers**

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    They showed the Sherlock Holmes trailer last night at Terminator. Meh, I don't think anybody should be surprised with Ritchie re imagining the series that way. I don't know what people were expecting from him...
    TERMINATOR!!!!! you went to see terminator and you just sneak it into the conversation? I am very disappointed in you.
    I want to know more............................
    ***taps foot patiently*********
    We've been discussing the movie in the Terminator thread Candy. I don't think many people have seen it yet, but you can read my initial impressions there if you're still interested.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    They showed the Sherlock Holmes trailer last night at Terminator. Meh, I don't think anybody should be surprised with Ritchie re imagining the series that way. I don't know what people were expecting from him...
    I was expecting for him to continue to not be Jerry Bruckheimer. It has less to do with deviation from literary notions of Holmes than it does with Guy Ritchie making a film that looks like a standard summer blockbuster action film. It's not a style I expected to ever see from him, and given that trailer, it looks like he does it just like everyone else does it.
    And that's exactly the problem I have with it. I'll reserve final judgment until I actually see the film. But the trailer makes it look like a straight up action blockbuster flick, which is so unlike Ritchie in my opinion. I'm with Jayson, I never expected to see that type of film from him. Honestly he could re-imagine Sherlock Holmes in any way he wanted and it wouldn't bother me. I'll also add that I'm not a fan of action films at all, and that's the way the trailer portrayed the film to be, so that could also be why I was disappointed in it. But we'll see. He has a unique style to his films so I'm hoping to see that in this one as well.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

TERMINATOR!!!!! you went to see terminator and you just sneak it into the conversation? I am very disappointed in you.
    We've been discussing the movie in the Terminator thread Candy. I don't think many people have seen it yet, but you can read my initial impressions there if you're still interested.

ever so slightly

am off there now, didnt realise you guys had seen it yet, we dont get it for 2 more weeks

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Went and saw Angels and Demons... It was okay. Not great. No where as good as the book.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I saw it last week, too, Pam. I agree, the book was a LOT better, but I love Tom Hanks and it was fun to see familiar places I've visited before. The worst part of the whole movie was when my cruel, cruel friend decided to scare the bejesus out of me and slap my leg while there was an exciting scene going on. I almost screamed. And I almost slapped him. raagh.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I saw it today. It was good. But I think you're right. Book is better.*as usual*
    Angels&Demons

The Da Vinci Code was one of the most boring and unnecessary movies I've ever seen. How was it compared to that guys? All the commercials have been saying "all critics agree that Angels and Demons surpasses the Da Vinci Code in every way" which is tantamount to "modern medicine is more advanced than Hippocrates in all respects."

Country
    Country Flag

Well, Ryan, imho A&D was indeed better than Da Vinci Code (which made me yaaaaawn). At least A&D kept me wide awake for the whole time.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Quote Originally Posted by Lily-sai View Post
    Well, Ryan, imho A&D was indeed better than Da Vinci Code (which made me yaaaaawn). At least A&D kept me wide awake for the whole time.
    I appreciate the honesty. I was thinking about going to see it tonight to get away from my roommates, but it just doesn't sound worth it unless you're a big fan of Dan Brown. Maybe I'll see Terminator for a third time.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Bahaha.

The DaVinci Code was terribly boring for me, but that's because I had read and liked the book. It was one of those "directly translated to film" movies, so I knew everything that was going on, there were no surprises, and Tom Hanks was IN NO WAY the character in my mind. I didn't like it at all.

I enjoyed reading Angels and Demons much better than DaVinci Code. But I will not be seeing the film. I just can't get over Tom as Robert Langdon. Bah.

Country
    Country Flag

I appreciate the honesty. I was thinking about going to see it tonight to get away from my roommates, but it just doesn't sound worth it unless you're a big fan of Dan Brown. Maybe I'll see Terminator for a third time.
    Well, give it a try anyway. It's that kind of movie you can just hang up your brains on a coat hanger (as we say here in Finland.. we are a strange nation.. ) and unwind.

Well, give it a try anyway. It's that kind of movie you can just hang up your brains on a coat hanger (as we say here in Finland.. we are a strange nation.. ) and unwind.
    We'll see. Thanks for the recommendation either way. "Brains on a coat hanger" is what I'm going to name my first album, so thank you for that as well.

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Gay

My problem... I found A&D long... long... and there were some very SLOW parts. I would put it on the exact same level as DaVinci, movie-wise. Except Tom Hanks had a better hair cut.

Actually, I really enjoyed Ian McKellen in DaVinci and felt that was really good casting... so that might make DaVinci slightly better for me... Then again, the woman who played Sophie was so badly cast... kind of a toss up.

I wouldn't rush out to see A&D in the theaters.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

oh your a cruel cruel man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post

I wouldn't rush out to see A&D in the theaters.
    thank you for the advice, i've been all - shall i/shall i not etc so am not bothering now. tbh i agree with a lot of of above about Dcode being really boring, so didnt want to waste my precious pennies

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I saw it to, I can't find the terminator thread.

And, I was thinking after that Sherlock Holmes preview, how there is not more movies about Sherlock Holmes. To me he's like the James Bond of that time period.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

[quote=AlishaRiley;392573]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    just seen an advert for Mirrors - which i really want to watch but i have a phobia of mirrors so i know i will be scarred for days and nights (lets not forget the nights)
    Mirrors is okay, candy.
    Again, it's not utterly amazing, but it's worth watching.
    well, i watched Mirrors last night. i'd say the 1st half was more atmospheric and scared me more. the 2nd half was ok, but tested my patience a few times

i love scarey movies and i must say this one made me jump in a few places, one was unintentional much to the amusement of mr c who fairly fell off the sofa laughin at me

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Watched Angels & Demons yesterday, and like everyone has already said, it's way better than The Da Vinci Code. By far. Which is not to say that I think it's an amazing movie, but hey, it entertains. It's obviously not nearly as good as the book since they have to cram it into a two-hour movie (It's impressive how all the characters can talk their heads off explaining things so the audience is kept relatively informed while running all over Vatican City.), but it's a fun film to go watch and kill some time.

I just got finished watching Mulholland Drive.

Hmmm.
    It seems to me like one of those movies that doesn't actually make any sense, but people don't want to admit they don't get it, so they all say it's brilliant, and then it gets amazing reviews for being brilliant, so more people watch it and say it's brilliant, furthering the widely accepted notion that it's brilliant.
    And that is all I have to say about that. *shrugs*

Anyone else seen this film?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I love it. I've watched it dozens of times.

It's David Lynch...so, what do you expect?

David Lynch made the movie and has suggested that he doesn't get it. I suspect he wasn't entirely serious about that, but this is a movie where you could drop a sheet of good blotter and still not fully understand what was going on. Everything means something and nothing means anything. It's still amazing.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Alright.
    Well, it's good to know that I'm not supposed to get it... I guess?
    That's kind of irritating though - what makes it so amazing if it doesn't make any sense?
    I mean, one could venture a guess, but without confirmation...? I dunno.

My Mood
    Gay

If you don't walk out of a David Lynch film saying "Wha?".... or "Who the hell was the cowboy-guy?" then you really didn't enjoy yourself properly.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post

Hmmm.
    It seems to me like one of those movies that doesn't actually make any sense, but people don't want to admit they don't get it, so they all say it's brilliant, and then it gets amazing reviews for being brilliant, so more people watch it and say it's brilliant, furthering the widely accepted notion that it's brilliant.

I love that movie. I admit I don't get it. That is why I love it.
    Everytime I watch it, I get confused again.
    *Brice, no comments here. No.*

David Lynch made the movie and has suggested that he doesn't get it. I suspect he wasn't entirely serious about that, but this is a movie where you could drop a sheet of good blotter and still not fully understand what was going on. Everything means something and nothing means anything. It's still amazing.
    He is crazy.
    Yes.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Alright.
    Well, it's good to know that I'm not supposed to get it... I guess?
    That's kind of irritating though - what makes it so amazing if it doesn't make any sense?
    I mean, one could venture a guess, but without confirmation...? I dunno.

Well, it (and his other films) are understandable on some level. It's just your interpretation might not be exactly the same as everyone else's and Lynch isn't precisely forthcoming about it. There are visual cues/clues as to what's going on. With each watching you gain more from it and eventually get to a closer understanding of events. I think it's set up though to where a total understanding is nearly impossible though; especially with Lynch himself unwilling to really explain.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    If you don't walk out of a David Lynch film saying "Wha?".... or "Who the hell was the cowboy-guy?" then you really didn't enjoy yourself properly.
    Yeah, that about sums it up.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post

Hmmm.

I love that movie. I admit I don't get it. That is why I love it.
    Everytime I watch it, I get confused again.
    *Brice, no comments here. No.*
    I needn't make any. You are reading my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Melike

He is crazy.
    Yes.

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 106 of 267 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 104 105 106 107 108 116 156 206 ... LastLast