Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Are you for or against circumcision?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

40 43.48%
  • Against

32 34.78%
  • Unsure

20 21.74%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Intact or Circumcised

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    it's about a visible symbol of the belief in the covenant between god and man. it's about giving up a piece of yourself - literally - for your god and his love. it's about accepting your place in god's eyes and accepting your place in god's world.
    Do the women have any ceremony where they form a covenant with god? This would help me to understand what I'm asking in my questions below the next quote - because if women don't form a covenant, how does that affect their bond with God?

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    see, i don't agree with this. i don't find it archaic and nonsensical. i think it's an important part of jewish religious and cultural heritage.
    But, why? I don't mean that disrespectfully - its a sincere question. I could understand someone who was orthodox doing it, because they are following every Jewish law. But if you're not why is cutting off a part of your child's penis acceptable, when you don't follow other rules? And, in relation to the question above - if a woman doesn't have to offer up a part of herself, why is it necessary for the men to?

If you don't want to answer its cool - I'm not targetting you personally, its just that you've answered me so far

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    ...like you might like a slight curve where Darkthoughts might prefer something that resembles a boomerang.
    Where did that come from?!

Quote Originally Posted by ka-mai View Post
    I find a lot of comments in here to be very deprecating of religion, both on a large and small scale. I'm not a terribly religious person at this point in my life, but the lack of respect of other peoples' beliefs is getting really irritating and probably very offensive to those who practice those religions.

I know it comes off as worldy and learned to insult peoples' beliefs as old-fashioned and based on silly ideas, but it also comes off as intolerant and snobbish. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean you can attempt to invalidate an entire belief system with your judgements.
    But why not? I never understand this point being made as a counter argument. Sure, I respect Turtlesong for example (or my cousins who are Jewish), as a person and I respect her right to her own opinion...but do I respect the Jewish faith (or any faith for that matter)...no! I'm not Jewish and I don't believe any of it - so why can't I state that in my opinion?

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Ka-mai, you’re taking what I said in the least favorable way you can possibly take it. I admit that sometimes when I’m attempting to use humor to make a point it isn't always taken in the way I intended. If someone believes in God, is a Jew, Muslim, Christian, whatever, I have no problem with that. What I’m suggesting is that while the core beliefs might be sound (the 10 Commandments are as good a set of rules to live by as any other), the devil is in these archaic details. I feel that many of the particulars...snippits from scriptures concerning things like circumcision, homosexuality, birth control, et al are outmoded concepts. They had their uses thousands of years ago but in today's world they simply don't make sense to me. I cannot help the way I feel nor will I apologize for voicing that opinion. But I certainly was not attempting to prove my intellectual superiority by demeaning religion and I sure as hell was not attempting do demean those that follow any particular religion.

You see, to me, circumcision is mutilation...pure and simple. The only difference with circumcision being used as a sacrament is that it makes it ritualized mutilation.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post

And, in relation to the question above - if a woman doesn't have to offer up a part of herself, why is it necessary for the men to?
    I think it has something to do with the way women were viewed at that time - as property more than people. Men would have been the ones in charge, and the ones who could enter into "contracts" and "covenants".

Or, I'm totally off base.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually that sounds fairly logical to me.

BTW...thats another 'particular' I take issue with when we're talking about religious texts that were written thousands of years ago...the view of women. I mean...if you're going to believe that circumcision is what God wants you to do then you might as well accept not only that birth control and homosexuality is bad but that women should also accept things like...

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (I Corinthians 11:3)

and that

"For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." (I Corinthians 11:8-9)

and my personal fav...

"Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (I Timothy 2:11-14)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, they would have stoned me to death at a young age, for sure.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

But remember folks...the devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.

*quickly tucks his tail into the back of his pants*

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hope this isn't off topic, but I've always wondered, what do they do with the foreskin after they remove it? Do they just throw it in the wastebasket?
    Can you imagine being a hobo, and falling asleep in the hospital dumpster, and suddenly someone throws a bag of foreskins on your face?
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

They give them to Cozener to eat.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Its a lot like fried calamari.

Country
    Country Flag

Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B Rag View Post
    I hope this isn't off topic, but I've always wondered, what do they do with the foreskin after they remove it? Do they just throw it in the wastebasket?
    Can you imagine being a hobo, and falling asleep in the hospital dumpster, and suddenly someone throws a bag of foreskins on your face?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I do believe they incinerate them. At least I think that's what they do with a lot of that kind of thing.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually I googled up "discarded foreskin uses". Apparently...I didn't go to the links...its used in face cream and maybe for something akin to stem cell research.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think Jewish people save them... wasn't that in Meet the Fockers? Never saw the movie, just heard a rumor.

Country
    Country Flag

Face cream! Are you serious?

"Oh honey, I love this new vanishing cream you got me, what's in it?"
    "Penises."

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Actually I googled up "discarded foreskin uses". Apparently...I didn't go to the links...its used in face cream and maybe for something akin to stem cell research.
    I think I have heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by B Rag View Post

Face cream! Are you serious?

"Oh honey, I love this new vanishing cream you got me, what's in it?"
    "Penises."
    Man...I have never been happier that I have no worries over aging.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I gotch yer face cream fer ya!

Country
    Country Flag

Oh boy!

So yours is used for that anyway?

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Bah...I wish.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it got a lil warm in here since i left....

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    ...like you might like a slight curve where Darkthoughts might prefer something that resembles a boomerang.
    Where did that come from?!
    So...you're saying you don't?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Its a lot like fried calamari.
    I hear its good with fava beans and a nice Chianti.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    it got a lil warm in here since i left....
    Welcome back! *throws special cream*

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

eek!

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

theBeamishome didn't enjoy the "pearl necklace"...

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast