Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: What was their love like?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • A deep faithful one.

61 57.01%
  • Hot but light.

39 36.45%
  • I don't understand this question...

7 6.54%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Their love

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Their love

We have talked about it before but I would be interested in all of your opinions and feelings.
    In your eyes was Susan and Roland's love deep and true or was it a light and hot love between two young people who hardly knew each other?

The way I see and feel it it was a true love with deep and faithful feelings.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it was true. Its amazing how Ka brings people together and if The Good Man hadn't started his campaign, Pat would not have been killed, the books would have been right and Roland would have never came there.

(because I am certain that Steven and the rest knew something was up there)

I also believe that true love is established in a moment--between two people who are destined to meet.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I voted for true.

Spoiler:
    If it was a fling, I doubt Roland would have been as scarred as he was by her death. She would have eventually faded to just another face that happened to die because she has associated with him, you know? As it is, though, he still feels her absence.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

maybe you wonder who was the monster that said "Hot but light" ...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I bet it was you Ka hater.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    maybe you wonder who was the monster that said "Hot but light" ...
    Jean, you are one of the reasons I have started this thread.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I may consider changing my name for some Japanese hieroglyph meaning "The One Who Is Always Outnumbered". Seriously, though, I have some good reasons, and I'll give them tomorrow when I have a clearer head.

Country
    Country Flag

I may consider changing my name for some Japanese hieroglyph meaning "The One Who Is Always Outnumbered". Seriously, though, I have some good reasons, and I'll give them tomorrow when I have a clearer head.
    We cannot wait to read it.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Jean, you always have such amazing arguments. Sometimes I'm almost swayed to your side of thinking by them, too, and I'm a stubborn person Anyway, I can't wait to hear why you think it wasn't as deep as the rest of us do.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    Jean, you always have such amazing arguments. Sometimes I'm almost swayed to your side of thinking byt htem, too, and I'm a stubborn person

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I was totally joking

However, I can't wait to read your thoughts on the subject.

I can identify with the always being out numbered though, I seriously expected to be the only one on the site that believed in fate.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I voted for a deep, hard, hot, sweaty, nasty, faithful one...*fans self*
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted "Hot but Light" as well. I think that, given time, it might have grown to be a really deep love, but so far it was not.
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I said hot but light.

First loves can leave a deep scar on anyone, especially when that love is taken away the way it was in WaG.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I. too, said hot but light and Hannah pretty much summed up why.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hot but light. If events had been different and Roland hadn't had his vision in the Rainbow about the DT, perhaps it could have grown into a deep faithful love. As soon as Roland saw the DT, Susan became secondary.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by B Rag View Post
    I voted "Hot but Light" as well. I think that, given time, it might have grown to be a really deep love, but so far it was not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    I said hot but light.

First loves can leave a deep scar on anyone, especially when that love is taken away the way it was in WaG.
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Hot but light. If events had been different and Roland hadn't had his vision in the Rainbow about the DT, perhaps it could have grown into a deep faithful love. As soon as Roland saw the DT, Susan became secondary.
    that's exactly what I was going to say.

Their feeling may or may not have blossomed into love; the only proof of true love is time. It's all very well to fight shoulder to shoulder in the battlefield, but when the war is over, the real test of love is whether or not you're annoyed by where your second half puts his/her socks. Extremal situations breed crushes, infatuations, raging passions, whatever; true love is a phenomenon of every-day life.

Susan-Roland was not a love story, although there was passion involved. It was a story of two kids, whose feeling was prematurely cut down by fate.

There comes a time in any young life when a young person feels s/he must fall in love. (someone - probably La Rochefoucauld, on whom these dubious witticisms are usually blamed - said that if there was no love stories, people wouldn't fall in love so often. Questionable, of course, but there may be a grain of truth here.) This feeling doesn't even depend on its object. Good girls fall in love with total assholes, and young poets with thoughtless bitches. It's the desire to love that creates the object of first love. Like Pushkin said of Tatiana in Evgeniy Onegin: Her time has come, she fell in love.

And, alas, Susan's willingness to die for Roland doesn't make her love any truer, either. It is easy for the young to die, that’s one of the sad paradoxes of life and the secret of youth. I also hope (or rather, I am afraid) the experience of mankind has already shown that readiness to die for a cause doesn't make the cause just.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with that rather fantastic post Jean, but thats only because I've been with my husband for 11 years and have the benefit of hindsight.

I'd say that to Susan and Roland at the time it was true love. Its a paradox of sorts in that we're judging true love from two different viewpoints - one being how you define the term when you are actually in that moment and the other being on reflection.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I said that they were because I truly believe the "love" can be established in a second between the right people.

I fell in love with my wife after one meeting and we have been together 10 years.

Weather they would have fulfilled the commitment is a different story but weather or not what they felt was true love? I think it was.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Susan-Roland was not a love story, although there was passion involved. It was a story of two kids, whose feeling was prematurely cut down by fate.
    yep.

roland said it himself, they were fools of ka.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I think it was true and deep, but doomed, both of those reasons fueled by Ka.

Just because something is short lived doesn't mean it wasn't true.

I once met a girl who I was swept up in much like Roland was with Susan. It too was short lived, but was(is?)still the most intense and true love I have ever experienced in my life, or most likely ever will again.

However, I don't think King is really all that good at love, or at least wasn't when he wrote WaG.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I think, when you're young especially, first love is the most intense and immediate love you ever feel. So at that age, and at that time, I believe for them it was true love.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice Chassit is on a distinguished road Chassit's Avatar

I think that their love was true. But I also believe that anyone involved in ka-tet will experience true love, it's part of the deal. I look at the heroes in It as a perfect example...
    "See the TURTLE of enormous girth,
    On his shell he holds the earth.
    If you want to run and play,
    Come along the BEAM today."

NFA JJG 42-95

Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

Perfect post, Jean, I couldn't have said it any better myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I said that they were because I truly believe the "love" can be established in a second between the right people.

I fell in love with my wife after one meeting and we have been together 10 years.

Weather they would have fulfilled the commitment is a different story but weather or not what they felt was true love? I think it was.
    This is the reason that I believe in ka and true love/soul mates. I fell in love with Austin the moment I met him, and we have been together for over 5 years, lived together 1 and a half of them. But while I knew he was perfect for me and we should live our lives together, I also didn't have a deep and strong connection to him. That was something that took a lot of time and togetherness to bring about.

A real, strong, deep love takes time. No one with a love like this would leave behind their other half for anything, in my opinion of course. Without this person in your life, you are just not complete. And I also believe that finding this person, out of all the billions of people you could potentially bump into on the planet, is something that just isn't possible without some sort of ka pushing you along.
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

We're all mad here!--The Cheshire Cat

Gunslinger Apprentice kithereal is on a distinguished road kithereal's Avatar

Default LOVE

......untested by the true test of love which is time....when intense HOT love ebbs...and real love remains..

The tragic end to one lover left a powerful mark on the one that remained...it is hard to let go of a love that does not follow its natural course.

I think KIng Is amazing at Love.( he does protest but he is amazing)
    The love of Boy for his Da
    The love of a man a woman
    A boy and his dog
    The love of fellow man
    A father's love
    A Mother's Love
    one of my favorite quotes in DT series is one of Love....from the The Tower.
    KIT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast