Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC Film Universe

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Just saw The Dark Knight today, and what can I say but
    I enjoyed EVERY FUCKING SECOND of it!! And I can really see now why Ledger's portrayal of Joker has been so talked about. I can't vouch as far as the comics, but growing up with Nicholson as the Joker that I knew of...I liked seeing this darker, more twisted portrayal of Joker. He's a f'n maniac and I loved it.
    I wish I could list all my favorite scenes, but Damn! They were all awesome. ..

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You my kind of girl, stevedave. I agree with you, every scene with The Joker was a classic.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ka-mai View Post
    I kind of think that Bale's mom and sister probably said something retarded, and he probably got pretty pissed off, but I think if he had actually hit someone they'd be holding him. A man that big hits you, you're gonna have a mark to show to the police.

I don't know, maybe it's just that I've been a huge fan since we were both little, but I think it's total crap. Or at least not nearly the big deal they're making it.
    I hope so.

Gunslinger Apprentice Sai Joshua is on a distinguished road Sai Joshua's Avatar

Saw the "Dark Knight" the night it opened and I literally wanted to go right back in and see it again. I have only done this with a handful of movies. Heath Ledger's Joker was beyond belief. I think it will be a shame if he doesn't get a nod for an oscar at least. Maybe Christian Bale's mom and sister told him Heath blew his doors off, that's why he blew a fuse!
    I will say he is the best Batman we've had, but I am not sure if I've ever seen anything that compared to what Heath Ledger accomplished in this film.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Yeah...I totally plan to go back to the theater soon to see this again.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

OMGOMGOMG. That was AWESOME. And we know who the next villains are gonna be. Sweeeeet.

I had no idea Two-Face was going to be in this one, and I love how they brought about the scarred, twisted side of his face/personality. Well done. MUCH better than "oh, here's some acid and a file folder."

I completely lost Heath Ledger in the Joker. I wasn't seeing Ledger at all; all I saw was a criminally insane guy with some crazy effin' facepaint. Fabulous.

I also really enjoyed Aaron Eckhardt. He did a great job. Michael Caine and Gary Oldman are always good, no matter what they do.

But what the hell's up with Gordon having a daughter? Where's that niece, eh?
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    I've read Dark Victory. Liked The Long Halloween much better, but that one was good. Of course, The Killing Joke is best of all, and much of Ledger's inspiration came from there.
    The Killing Joke =

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought Barbara Gordon was the commissioners daughter... That's what I remember from No Man's Land.

Oh and with all this commentary on Ledger's performance I would like to expound on what Sai Joshua said and say that Bale is the best Batman. I was talking to my Nigel about it after we came out of the theater and the reason I love him so much as the Caped Crusader is because he plays Bruce Wayne perfectly!! The way he crashed his own party for Harvey Dent coming down in a helicopter with three pretty girls on his arm. THAT is Bruce Wayne. He plays Bruce Wayne like he's they mask, which he is. Batman is the real man, Bruce Wayne is just a cover-up and he's supposed to be this trust-fund baby playboy. And Christian Bale kills it. Like someone mentioned earlier (too lazy to look it up) the scene where he crashes his Lambo (cringe) and then acts like he didn't do it on purpose was pure genius.

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Last night on the local news they were saying that Bale wasn't charged at all. Said that they just questioned him.

I have things...many things to say about this awesome movie. But I have to do that working thing right now. To be continued...
    Heng Dai

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Gordon's wife is named barbara, and his niece/daughter was named after her. Like his son was named after him. Those writers were real creative with the names.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*This article is pretty lengthy, but completely worth it!*

-----

The Villains of Batman 3
    IGN wonders who might terrorize Gotham City in the next movie.
    by Jim Vejvoda

July 22, 2008 - With The Dark Knight now in theaters, IGN Movies is already looking ahead to a third Christopher Nolan-directed Batman movie and pondering what it might be about. Just as the ending of Batman Begins introduced the theme of escalation that its sequel explored, The Dark Knight established that things were going to get much worse for Batman and for Gotham City before they will get better.

TDK ends with Batman a wanted man, falsely accused of murdering five people including police officers. Batman sacrificed his own reputation in order to protect the memory of fallen district attorney Harvey Dent, who had transformed into the vengeful Two-Face. Gotham needed a hero, a figure of hope to believe in so that it could remain inspired to save itself from crime and corruption. In the end, Batman finds himself alone, hunted by his former police allies, and mourning the loss of his beloved Rachel Dawes.

A third Batman film would likely focus on the redemption of the Caped Crusader in the eyes of the public. What better or more obvious way for that to happen than for Batman to save the city (once again) from a villain bent on its destruction. The trick is to select villains that can be adapted to a real world environment AND fit in thematically with the storyline and stakes established in the first two films. That's a rather tall order and would seem to narrow down the list of potential villains quite a bit.

Why not just recast the Joker and bring back Two-Face, you ask? With Heath Ledger dead and his portrayal of the Joker now indelibly etched into filmgoers' minds, we think it highly unlikely that the filmmakers would recast the role to bring the Clown Prince back. It would also be tough for that character to top what he did to Batman and Gotham in TDK so perhaps once is enough. Likewise, the ending of TDK seemed to suggest that Harvey Dent/Two-Face was dead, although producer Emma Thomas told IGN after an early press screening that Dent's last scene was ambiguous enough to suggest that perhaps he was still alive.

If Dent is still alive, did Gordon have him covertly locked away in Arkham? Given TDK's overt political overtones, the idea of a secret prisoner hidden from the world would be in line with the ethical questions raised in the second film. Having Dent escape and show the city what he'd really become would at least get Batman off the hook for the murders that he didn't commit, but we don't see the filmmakers bringing Dent back either. Story-wise, what more could be done with Joker or Two-Face that TDK didn't accomplish? We suggest the filmmakers bring in new villains for the third movie, but that doesn't mean they can't be tied to the events of the first two films.

Employing a villain such as Talia al Ghul, the estranged daughter of Batman Begins' Ra's al Ghul, would not only tie Batman 3 back to the first film but also give the series a new female lead (and potential love interest) now that Rachel Dawes has been killed off. Talia could be out to finish the job her father had failed to do: destroy Gotham, which after TDK seems more hopeless than ever. Ra's may have had a Lazarus pit in the comics, but we don't see Nolan resorting to such comic book gimmickry to bring him back. Talia and a new League of Shadows would be enough. Talia would have the resources and will to bring about Gotham's destruction, the prevention of which might just put the Dark Knight back in the good graces of his hometown. (One problem with Talia, however, is that Warner Bros. might not want Nolan to use the character if they make a JLA movie and she's a villain in that.)

Perhaps the filmmakers could use a "No Man's Land"-esque storyline that finds Gotham City sealed off from the rest of the county, the victim of some terrible calamity such as a biochemical attack or a viral outbreak. In keeping with the series' war on terror metaphors, as well as the abandonment of Gotham City in "No Man's Land," a private corporation could be brought in to save and secure the city and those who have stayed behind. This outfit, obviously, would be a front for the villains who were behind the attack (Talia and the League). Batman would have to expose and defeat them, thus restoring himself as Gotham's savior. Even playboy Bruce Wayne could be redeemed in the public eye thanks to his philanthropic efforts in aiding his forsaken city.

What of the more colorful (and better known) members of Batman's rogue's gallery? Is there room for them in a third Nolan Bat-flick? The answer might be found in TDK.As the Joker told Batman, "You've changed things forever. There's no going back." A third film would likely show how this has panned out, with the underworld being divvied up between increasingly eccentric criminals, such as The Penguin (who is perhaps never referred to by that name), Black Mask and maybe even the Ventriloquist. None of them have to be the main villain; they could merely be there to show how wild and bizarre things are getting in Gotham. Some characters, no matter how popular they are, just might not fit into the world that Nolan has created or operate on a grand enough scale for the stakes that have been established in the first two films (nothing less than the salvation of Gotham City and Bruce Wayne's efforts not to abandon his own moral code in pursuit of that goal). Catwoman might be cool but how exactly does she fit into Nolan's take on the Batman universe? How do you explain a woman dressing up as a cat? It took a whole movie just to justify why Batman wore his outfit. The real world tone necessitates a supervillain who could conceivably exist. That's why we think the next major villain Batman will fight on-screen will be King Tut. Just kidding. No, our hunch is that the Riddler will be the secondary (yet better known) supervillain in the next film.

Given the ending of TDK, the most obvious antagonist for Batman to face in a third film would be Jim Gordon and the GCPD. With Batman now a wanted murderer (a cop killer to boot), it would make sense for the public and politicians to demand the GCPD bring in Batman once and for all. But seeing as how Batman has made short work of the cops in the past, they would need help catching him. The Mayor (or perhaps Boss Rupert Thorne) could demand that they bring in a hired gun to help get the job done. Enter the Riddler, who is currently portrayed in the comics as a good bad guy who helps the cops crack cases. He possesses a superior intellect and proves it by solving mysteries.

The trick with the Riddler is not portraying him as a Joker wannabe or a garish buffoon. By making him Batman's intellectual equivalent and a possible replacement hero for the city, he becomes more of a threat to Batman. What if Edward Nygma is brought in to find out who Batman really is and help the cops get him, but he secretly has his own nefarious agenda? Primary villain Talia al Ghul doesn't have to know that Bruce was Ra's pupil or is Batman, so her seeking Riddler's help would make that much more sense then. Whomever that next villain is their job will be to test Batman. Ra's al Ghul did so by seeing if Batman's compassion was also his weakness; the Joker pushed Batman to the brink of breaking his one rule (no killing) and almost revealing his true identity. Seeing as how the Riddler has always posed questions to Batman, he seems like the right villain to continue Nolan's tradition of testing Batman's ethical boundaries.

Kilgore Trout valtr0n is on a distinguished road valtr0n's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd really like to see Zsasz.

He would be absolutely fantastic on the big screen, even if it's a minor-type role.

Don't you get it?! We are the walking dead! We are the walking dead...

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I heard on the radio (sorry to say I wasn't paying attention until the end, because I didn't realize who they were talking about) that some words were thrown around between Bale and his mom and sister, basically the usual "you'd be nothing without me, you think you're such a big shot, etc." from the family, well he tried to get them out of the building, and pushed his mom out the door, and she fell.

Sounds like just a family dispute causing a scene to me. Since he wasn't charged I don't think anything more serious happened at all and people are just making a big deal of it.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Last week I got the batman anime, Gotham Knight. One of the villains was a guy named Deadshot. I could easily see him brought into the third movie. Maybe in their want to bring Batman to justice, a higher up in the GPD could hire the assassin to pursue Batman while the mob utilizes Riddler to track down the Bat. Or vice-versa. Then whichever works for the mob could sell them out by giving them false info on Batman or his whereabouts. Said info could lead them into a trap organized by a freak mobster, like say Ventriloquist or Black Mask.

Admitedly, I'd prefer for Gordon to have had Two-Face secretly incarcerated while having thrown a false funeral/memorial to hide his deeds from the public. Nolan does like twists, but I don't know about this one. I was just really hoping for a freaks vs mob in the last movie, with Joker in this one being something of a catalyst for the war. Acutally, Two-Face, in keeping with his psyche, could be playing both sides of the war to wipe out the freaks and the mob. Two sides, one lives, one dies.

But, tis only a dream now.

Oh, and Zsazs was in Begins. He made a cameo appearance in Dr. Crane's court scene, and again in the third act as the head of the mob approaching Rachel and the kid in the Narrows.

Anyone think Scarecrow getting pwned could be a running gag? While I'm glad he finally made it to the big screen, I'd be willing to accept it. If we do get Riddler, I'd like him to be fairly built, like in TAS and with an equally calm demeanor, as if everything fits into his plans. I didn't care for the jittery guy he was written as in The Long Halloween or Dark Victory.

Michael Jackson citiesburnred is on a distinguished road citiesburnred's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So I saw this movie like a whole 2 hours ago and it was easily one of my favorite movies...and the best one so far this year...Ledger as The Joker was just brilliant loved every second and every weird out of that lunatics mouth, Bale is my favorite actor as Batman.

The only thing that I somewhat don't understand is the point of having Scarecrow for the whole..10 minutes he's on the screen...I mean at the end of Begins wasn't he doused with his own drug and institutionalized? maybe I'm just recalling the movie wrong since it's been a while since I've seen it but the Scarecrow being part of that drug deal really confused me...Anyone have any idea?
    Assume makes an ass out of 'u' and 'me'

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by citiesburnred View Post
    I mean at the end of Begins wasn't he doused with his own drug and institutionalized? maybe I'm just recalling the movie wrong since it's been a while since I've seen it but the Scarecrow being part of that drug deal really confused me...Anyone have any idea?
    No, he was still loose. They were just tying up loose ends, though I would have preferred he still be in the tattered straight jacket thingy. Its a minor complaint. I'm just glad they didn't kill him.

Michael Jackson citiesburnred is on a distinguished road citiesburnred's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ah alright that makes more sense...I guess I should have watched Begins today before going to see this ones like I had planned to but I couldn't find it so oh well
    Assume makes an ass out of 'u' and 'me'

Country
    Country Flag

see? like i said No Man's Land, but I though Ra's al Ghul's daughter's name was Cassandra???

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

My Mood
    Dead

Pretty sure the villains in Batman 3 will be The Riddler and Catwoman.

"Does it [the armor] protect against dogs?"
    "It'll stop a cat."

Also, what about Anthony Michael Hall's character's name? Mr. Reese? Doesn't that sound like "Mysteries/Mr. E."?

Country
    Country Flag

.... Anthony Michael Hall.... isn't that Dexter?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    Pretty sure the villains in Batman 3 will be The Riddler and Catwoman.
    While I do think that The Riddler will be the next villian in the final movie, I don't think that Catwoman will make an appearance...or at play a major role, anyway. Like the guy in the article said - it took a whole movie to justify why a man would dress up like a bat, how much time would Nolan need to devote to explain why a woman would need to dress up like a cat?

Country
    Country Flag

i thought Nolan wasn't even sure if he was doing a third movie...

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, technically he doesn't have to direct it if he doesn't want to, his contract was only for 2 movies. Hopefully he comes to his senses and decides to go ahead with it; Bale has already stated on a couple occasions that he would love to reprise his role for a third film.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

But how could they top this one?

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    .... Anthony Michael Hall.... isn't that Dexter?

noooo. that would be michael c. hall. (who is amazing and awesome by the way!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast