Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 102 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 2550

Thread: The DC Film Universe

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's a very different film. Wonder Woman is much more hopeful and emotional. For me, anyway. I'm a guy but I echo everything in this article:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...htmlstory.html
    I did not expect to cry during “Wonder Woman.”

Specifically, I did not expect to tear up during the fight scenes. OK, maybe if Gal Gadot’s Diana, Amazon princess, had given some terrific speech, or if a character I liked had died, but I certainly did not expect to get all misty eyed during the battle scenes.

But that’s exactly what happened; when Wonder Woman started fighting, out came the waterworks.

It started on the beach, when Gen. Antiope (Robin Wright) rode into battle with a smile and Queen Hippolyta (Connie Nielsen) leaped off her horse, spinning into the air to wipe out two armed men with her sword. As the battle raged on, it became clear that the scene was not window-dressing, 10 seconds of Amazon showtime before the real movie started. This was the movie — female warriors kicking ass.

They were fierce and powerful, highly trained soldiers who knew what they were doing, and the film took that, and them, seriously. It was overwhelming.

And then came No Man’s Land.

Having left her people to help end World War I, Diana travels with Steve Trevor (Chris Pine) to the battlefront in France. Along the way, she is told “no” by just about every man in Europe, including Steve. “No, you cannot go into the war room; no, you can’t fight Ares; no, you can’t carry your sword on the street.” Deep in the trenches, she learns that a nearby village is caught in the crossfire. She wants to help, and is once again told “no.”

But Diana has had enough. When Steve tells her that they can’t save everyone in this war because “it’s not what we’re here to do,” she agrees.

“You’re right,” she says. “But it’s what I am going to do.”

Pulling off her disguise to reveal her true Wonder Woman self, she climbs a ladder and walks solemnly into No Man’s Land. Deflecting bullets with her bracelets, leaning into machine gun fire with her shield, she marches forward spurring the men to follow her. Wonder Woman takes the town.

It was tremendous, and I cried through the whole thing.

I felt like I was discovering something I didn’t even know I had always wanted. A need that I had boxed up and buried deep after three movies of Iron Man punching bad guys in the face, three more movies of Captain America punching bad guys in the face, a movie about Superman and Batman punching each other in the face and then “Suicide Squad.”

Witnessing a woman hold the field, and the camera, for that long blew open an arguably monotonous genre. We didn’t need a computer-generated tree or a sassy raccoon to change the superhero game; what we needed was a woman.

“Wonder Woman” director Patty Jenkins wasn’t too surprised when I described my tearful reaction. “I’ve heard that a lot,” she said.

And sure enough, as “Wonder Woman” blazed through its opening weekend, the Internet was flooded with tales of tears. “Wept through every fight scene in Wonder Woman AMA,” tweeted Shani O. Hilton (head of U.S. news for BuzzFeed News). “I just thought about the No Man's Land sequence & started crying again,” writer and director Julia Hart said online.

Amazingly, Jenkins had to fight for that No Man’s Land scene. “Nobody understood what I was trying to do there,” she said. “It was a scene that everybody was like, ‘Ah, OK, but we're doing this cool thing in the town, why are you worried about that?’ I think to some of the people I was working with it was confusing. ‘Who's she fighting?’ [But] it's not about that, it's about her.

”I think they [finally] got it, but I don't know that people got how important it was going to be until they saw the movie.”

Looking back on my own career covering superhero flicks, there has always been this need for more, and those who don’t understand it. “Avengers: The Age of Ultron” was definitely a tipping point. The treatment of Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow throughout the marketing and in the film left a sour taste with many.

I was working for io9 at the time and, with Katherine Trendacosta wrote “Black Widow: This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things,” bemoaning the exclusion of Black Widow from the Avengers toy set pack, the character’s slut-shaming in the press by her own teammates, and the revelation that her long-awaited backstory was about her forced sterilization.

Many people agreed with us, but many did not. We were accused of being too touchy or flat out wrong. One fellow journalist politely informed me that I simply did not understand what Joss Whedon was trying to do with his “family” theme.

The world had embraced characters like Captain America and Superman who are compelled by their sense of duty, honor and morality. But every time we had a powerful woman, she had to be justified or complicated somehow. It took 75 years to make a movie about a female superhero motivated purely by love.

Maybe the tears that fell while watching Wonder Woman flip a tank were an emotional release for years of frustration, of being told “no” or that I “didn’t get it.” Here was proof of what many of us have known all along: There aren’t “types” of female characters and types of male characters that movies must perpetuate or else.

That a movie starring a superhero woman could be just that. And make money: “Wonder Woman” grossed an estimated $100.5 million in the U.S and Canada in its debut weekend.

Diana Prince can love ice cream, babies and sex but can also slay on the battlefield with the same amount of screen time given to her super predecessors. She doesn’t need to be some complicated, male-skewed Hollywood vision of damaged or broken or misunderstood. She’s Wonder Woman.

And that is more than enough.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Rose and I just got back from Wonder Woman. Very good, solid movie, if a bit slow at times. The action scenes were beautiful, Gal Gadot was the perfect Wonder Woman, the rest of the characters were well fleshed out, except for the villains. No spoilers, but insert generic Nazi villain A and generic Nazi mad scientist B and there ya go.

Nothing groundbreaking, nowhere close to the Dark Knight, in my humble opinion, but a solid four out of five from me.
    Yeah idk wtf people are coming from with saying that this is on par with The Dark Knight lol. It's a solid comic book film, slow at times but entertaining when it shifts its gear to full action. Nowhere near TDK though which is a transcendental CBM.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

By the way, this is the best screencap I could find of the character roster from the new DC Films logo:

Who can you spot?

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    By the way, this is the best screencap I could find of the character roster from the new DC Films logo:

Who can you spot?
    Is that new? It feels like a variation on something they've been doing with the animated stuff for awhile. I like it better than the new Marvel one which uses stills from the movies instead of the comic book thing they used to do.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Rose and I just got back from Wonder Woman. Very good, solid movie, if a bit slow at times. The action scenes were beautiful, Gal Gadot was the perfect Wonder Woman, the rest of the characters were well fleshed out, except for the villains. No spoilers, but insert generic Nazi villain A and generic Nazi mad scientist B and there ya go.

Nothing groundbreaking, nowhere close to the Dark Knight, in my humble opinion, but a solid four out of five from me.
    Yeah idk wtf people are coming from with saying that this is on par with The Dark Knight lol. It's a solid comic book film, slow at times but entertaining when it shifts its gear to full action. Nowhere near TDK though which is a transcendental CBM.
    Definitely not as good as The Dark Knight, but there are very few movies that are that good period. I'd say if it was a Marvel movie it'd probably be in the top 5 Marvel movies. DC wise it's maybe number 2 behind The Dark Knight, that mostly just depends on how highly you rank the older DC movies.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post

Definitely not as good as The Dark Knight, but there are very few movies that are that good period. I'd say if it was a Marvel movie it'd probably be in the top 5 Marvel movies. DC wise it's maybe number 2 behind The Dark Knight, that mostly just depends on how highly you rank the older DC movies.
    Interesting.... I am so busy I have not seen it but I am told it is 2nd to Dark Knight and better than any Marvel film to date.. #5? What Marvel Films are better Dan in your eyes?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Speaking only for myself, no superhero movie made me cry with joy like Wonder Woman

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It was definitely the first solid DC movie we've had in a long time. Hell, it was the best comic book movie with a strong female lead since Dredd. It wasn't perfect, but it was a very well balanced film, I thought. I liked that Diana Prince was a really fleshed out character. Naive, but very strong. I also liked how badly she fitted in with WW1 era Britain, I always love a good fish out of water story. And the fight scenes really were incredible. Especially No Man's Land. Holy crap, that moment was awesome. Yes, it's not The Dark Knight - let's be honest, nothing is The Dark Knight - but a really solid superhero movie, I'd say.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Interesting.... I am so busy I have not seen it but I am told it is 2nd to Dark Knight and better than any Marvel film to date.. #5? What Marvel Films are better Dan in your eyes?
    Iron Man (the first one), Captain America: Winter Soldier, Avengers (the first one), Guardians of the Galaxy (the first one), are all better though maybe not by much (in my opinion). Though Winter Soldier is maybe almost as good as The Dark Knight, it suffers a bit from Marvel's "bad" bad guy syndrome though.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Everyone loves Winter Soldier, I would put it mid-level Marvel. I don't get the love for it.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Everyone loves Winter Soldier, I would put it mid-level Marvel. I don't get the love for it.
    I agree. I liked Civil War much better...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

I think most of the love for it comes from it having a drastically different feel than pretty much all of the other Marvel movies. Felt more like a spy thriller than a superhero movie. Kinda like Ant Man had a very heist movie feel, though Ant Man ended more on a superhero note than Winter Soldier did.

While I like Civil War, the conflict felt pretty contrived to me.

Country
    Country Flag

Tend to agree.... for me... the largest problem with superhero movies, is that there is no fear of them in death. There is no darkness to fear so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You're trippin homes, WS is top 3 Marvel. I'd put it at No. 2 personally, right behind the first Iron Man.

Hmm maybe not so much the conflict itself, but the reasons that some of the participants had for joining either side was a little flimsy. Luckily it has some of the best set pieces of the entire MCU. Cap and Bucky blasting their way out of the apartment complex and the high-speed foot race that follows is probably my favorite sequence that Marvel has put together.

Country
    Country Flag

I thought this was the DC thread?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Lol I was literally just about to say something about that.

Country
    Country Flag

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I am more of a Marvel guy, having really only followed Batman, Supes & Flash as a kid. That being said, sure looks to me like they are throwing a lot of stuff against the wall and hoping something sticks
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-score-1013319
    Danny Elfman is set to dole out the sweet sound of justice, coming on board to compose the score for Justice League, Warner Bros.’ all-star superhero extravaganza, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The hiring comes just as additional photography, with director Joss Whedon standing in for Zack Snyder, for the movie gets underway in London. Whedon is overseeing the new shoot and postproduction work on Justice League after Snyder stepped aside to deal with a family tragedy.

Snyder had been working with Antonius Tom Holkenborg, aka Junkie XL, on the movie. Holkenborg, who scored Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and counts movies like Mad Max: Fury Road and Deadpool among his credits, is now moving on to Tomb Raider, according to sources.

Elfman has some familiarity with coming in late on projects and with working with Whedon. He was brought on board in the later stages of making Whedon’s 2015 superhero movie Avengers: Age of Ultron, adding to the music already written by Brian Tyler.

Elfman is one of the big names in the movie music field, known for his longtime work with director Tim Burton, early comic book movies Batman and Batman Returns, among them. He also worked with Sam Raimi on Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2, among the filmmaker’s other titles.

This year, Elfman worked on Fifty Shades Darker and The Circle.

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

LA's the best baby.

Country
    Country Flag

Not movies but still:

Country
    Country Flag

Wonder Women today!!! I'll be back with my rating later all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 102 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 ... LastLast