Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 102 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2550

Thread: The DC Film Universe

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I thought I would hate the reserved seating/recliner thing but I really can't imagine going back now.
    I don’t do them... I fall asleep every time! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a couple of "movie buddies" I've been actively going to the theater with since Force Awakens. One of them has yet to stay awake the entire time. It doesn't matter what time the showing is, or even the film, it's a guarantee he'll be knocked out within 45 minutes, lol

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Reserved seating is the greatest thing ever, I can't imagine going to the movies anymore without having my seat confirmed beforehand.

Having to show up to a theater like 2 hours before just to get tickets sucked.
    Oh I agree. I'm just not driving half an hour for them. I'll just go on a less busy day. For me at least there's really only one or two movies a year (at most) were it even matters. Even most Marvel movies you can show up for Thursday night previews buy tickets at the door and not have to fight over a seat. At least as long as you are going to a 8 or 9 pm showing.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tomato Score anytime now!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.cbr.com/review-birds-of-...dc-film-years/
    Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is a bonkers and bombastic blast, equal parts thrilling, engaging and hilarious. While the chaotic tone of the film means the story sometimes gets away from itself, Birds of Prey is unlike anything DC has ever produced (but still very much part of the DC Universe), and sets the bar incredibly high for the rest of 2020.

The film, directed by Cathy Yan (Dead Pigs), centers primarily around Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) after the Joker's left her once and for all. After a period of debauchery to try to get over it, Harley makes a major public show of ending their relationship. This clues the rest of Gotham into the fact that Harley can now be targeted without risking reprisal from the Joker. Many people want to take advantage of that -- including Roman Sionis (Ewan McGregor), a misogynistic gang leader who has a particular distaste for Harley.

Harley is given one shot to save her life: she must find a diamond that was stolen from Sionis' top henchman, Victor Zsasz (Chris Messina), by the pickpocket Cassandra Cain (Ella Jay Basco). Along the way, three other Gotham women -- alcoholic GCPD Detective Renee Montoya (Rosie Perez), Roman's reluctant singer/driver Dinah Lance (Jurnee Smollett-Bell) and the mysterious "crossbow killer" calling herself Huntress (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) -- all end up in Harley and Roman's destructive orbit.

Yan does a phenomenal job helming Birds of Prey, her first break into mainstream cinema. Her direction is frantic but never out of control, befitting a movie about Harley Quinn. The film has a colorful palette that helps the film pop even in the most basic storytelling moments.

Especially impressive are the fight sequences scattered throughout the film. There's a fluidity and creativity to the action that gives each of these scenes a distinctive feel. Part of this is because the film gives each character a different fighting style and skill-set, which changes each action beat based on who's participating in it. Harley's chaotic and skillful with various surprising weapons, Dinah relies on a kick-heavy fighting style, Helena's brutal but efficient tactics feel almost like something out of John Wick and Montoya's brawler tendencies set up both gags and tension. There's a level of visual attention paid to each part of the film that makes it come together.

Screenwriter Christina Hodson (Bumblebee) infuses Gotham City with a vibrancy that has been missing from the DC Extended Universe, making this world feel more lived-in and authentic than ever before. The script infuses each character with a deep connection to Gotham that's clear seconds after they're introduced. It also juggles a solid sense of comedy with the more exciting elements of the film.

The game cast uniformly meets the requirements of the script with gusto, bringing a spirited but unique sense of life to their characters. While the script can breeze through plot developments at times, the tight sense of comic tone and surprising heart at the core of the story keeps the audience invested enough to make those leaps.

Robbie returns to the part she first brought to life in 2016's Suicide Squad. This time, she's given the room to really explore Harley Quinn, keeping her frantic and aggressive but without ever losing the core of the character. Once the film pairs her with Basco's Cassandra Cain, both actresses get the chance to bounce off each other in fun, unexpected ways.

Smollett-Bell and Perez are both terrific in their roles, essentially playing the straight-women to the increasingly absurd events around them. Winstead finds a way to play a believable unstoppable killer while also bringing a surprising layer of comedy to the character. McGregor and Messina both have a blast in rare villain roles, chewing every last piece of scenery they can while still keeping their characters threatening and imposing. It's a tricky balancing act for almost the entire cast, and they all succeed.Each piece of the filmmaking process comes together and gels incredibly well in this movie, leading to an effective and effortlessly enjoyable film. Each member of the titular Birds of Prey is looking for something they need, and each of them finds surprising but believable depths in themselves during their missions. None of this feels forced or artificial, either.

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is a shot of adrenaline right into the heart of the DCEU, giving it a sense of style, emotion and color that feels wholly unique, but still fits within this version of the DC Universe. It's exactly the film that fans were hoping for.

Directed by Cathy Yan from a script by Christina Hodson, Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) stars Margot Robbie, Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Rosie Perez, Ewan McGregor, Ella Jay Basco, Steven Williams, Derek Wilson, Dana Lee, Francois Chau, Charlene Amoia, Chris Messina and Matthew Willig. The film arrives Feb. 7.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And it's a 91!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    And it's a 91!
    WOW! I shall eat me words Mae~ Saying that... I AM MUCH MORE EXCITED for tomorrow now
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Well.... Birds of Prey... more like Birds of PASSS. Sorry but I wanted to like it and there was some good aspects but it was about a 5/10 for me. Ewan and his Henchman I loved but this movie has horrible dialogue. Cheesy cheese one liners. The action is meh....
    I wished I hadn’t gone. There was 9 people in our theater for opening time (730). This movie will not do well I suspect. I wonder if the positive reviews are because of the superhero all girl team aspect. Not sure but it’s not a good flic. I sincerely wanted to like it. At time’s I thought it was on a roll but Harley Quinn is an annoying lead. Margot is a great actress and does her well... yes but the character itself is irritating. Be interested to see what you guys all think.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

$30 mil opening for Birds.... pretty much what I expected.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Like I posted in the review thread, I utterly loved it and I'm sure it will have legs with great word of mouth. Went with a group of seven and all of us liked it, and people in our theater all were engaged and laughing throughout. I want to see it again, this time in Dolby.

Country
    Country Flag

Like I posted in the review thread, I utterly loved it and I'm sure it will have legs with great word of mouth. Went with a group of seven and all of us liked it, and people in our theater all were engaged and laughing throughout. I want to see it again, this time in Dolby.
    With an opening like that... we will not get anymore of them though. I’m ok with that. My entire group didn’t like it and thought the same as me.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Truly don't understand some of these negative comments and reviews. It's got a very good 3.6 on Letterboxd and I feel like it may end up as one of my Top 30 of 2020 when it's all said and done. Maybe people were expecting something that this wasn't interested in doing? Just the freeze frames with the grievances alone makes this a great film!

Country
    Country Flag

With an opening like that... we will not get anymore of them though.
    Into the Spider-Verse opened about the same and it's getting a sequel and spinoffs.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I saw this, this weekend. I was expecting to like it, I like all the DC movies in some capacity, even the truly terrible ones (Suicide Squad and Justice League). I was pleasantly surprised by how much I ended up liking it. For me, it really washed the bad taste left by Suicide Squad out of my mouth (so to speak). Mostly it was fun and the action was good. Ewan McGreggor and Margot Robbie killed it. The little bit the rest of the cast had to do was pretty good too. The cop (whose name I can't remember) played her part pretty perfectly.

My only real gripes with the movie are gripes I have as a fan of DC comics. Specifically Cassandra Cain and Victor Zaz. The Cassandra Cain character could've been anyone, but what they put on screen is nothing like Cassandra Cain from the comics. Zaz on screen was just a little to weird for my tastes, the comic book version of Zaz is less creepy weird goon and more serial killer.

spoiler for black mask

These are all just really nit picks as someone who is a fan of these characters in the comics. I think this will make enough money for them to continue. It had a relatively low budget and doesn't really need to make a lot of money to be successful. I believe they have 3 total movies planned. I believe the next one is supposed to be a "Gotham City Sirens" movie. But we'll see what the legs / home video market on this one ends up being. The next couple of weeks feel a bit empty, so it could have some word of mouth legs. We'll see though.

One thing I will say about the movie is that if you don't like the character of Harley Quinn or you thought you were gonna hate it based off the trailers, I doubt anyone would change their mind actually seeing it. This movie is Harley Quinn, and if you don't like that character you're not gonna like the movie. Also I feel the trailers did a pretty good job of portraying the tone of the movie / what the movie is about. So if you hated the trailers then the movie isn't gonna change your mind either.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

‘Birds of Prey’ gets new title after crashing at box office

Like renaming an airline in the wake of a disaster, Warner Bros.’ “Birds of Prey” appears to have had its title changed just days after release, when it failed to take flight at the box office on opening weekend.

Movie-goers at three major US chains — AMC, Cinemark and Regal — might be surprised to see the DC Comics film’s title displayed as “Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey” rather than the original “Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).”

It’s unclear what prompted the hasty post-release name change for the film, which stars Margot Robbie, although the shift follows abysmal box-office numbers. Despite early positive projections, the Cathy Yan-directed flick raked in a mere $33 million in North America and $81 million worldwide on a budget of $82 million, the lowest opening-weekend gross for a DC Comics film in a decade, the Independent reports.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Whose genius idea is this? Do they really think it's going to make a difference in people wanting to see it if they already didn't want to after seeing the posters and trailers and TV spots and loads of cast interviews? Let's be real, the true audience for the film is people who love the Harley character, and those people are already going to see it regardless. This whole thing is like renaming Titanic to "Titanic: The Movie About the Sinking Ship."
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Whose genius idea is this? Do they really think it's going to make a difference in people wanting to see it if they already didn't want to after seeing the posters and trailers and TV spots and loads of cast interviews? Let's be real, the true audience for the film is people who love the Harley character, and those people are already going to see it regardless. This whole thing is like renaming Titanic to "Titanic: The Movie About the Sinking Ship."
    Ehh I don't think they're wrong for renaming it. They shouldn't have ever called it "Birds of Prey". It's not a Birds of Prey movie, it's a Harley Quinn movie that happens to have a version of the Birds of Prey kinda in it. This has been done before to some effect. Edge of Tomorrow got a mid run rename to "Live, Die, Repeat" which actually worked. Switching the name from Birds of Prey to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey kinda changes the understanding of what the movie is at a glance.

To be completely honest the problem this movie is facing in the box office is mostly due to it's R rating. The R rating didn't really add much to the movie, but drastically limited the audience that could actually go see it. Plus they didn't commit to the R rating as hard as a movie like Deadpool does, so the R rating wasn't even really necessary. They also marketed it like a PG-13 movie and not an R movie. The movie has honestly reviewed pretty well. I just got done listening to the /Filmcast review of it, and going in I was sure they'd hate it, but they surprised me and generally enjoyed the movie. Which has been my experience with the reviews I've seen. Outlets I thought would hate it, actually enjoyed it / had a lot of fun with it. I'll be interested to see what next weekend looks like.

Edit: I also want to point out something a bit contradictory in the "movie press" world. The opening weekend for "Birds of Prey" is being considered a failure. But had this been another movie with a 80 - 90 million budget opening to 33 million it wouldn't be considered a failure. Ford v Ferrari opened at similar numbers and it was widely considered a success. This has some expectations put on it because it's a "super hero" movie that it should blow the box office out.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Ehh I don't think they're wrong for renaming it. They shouldn't have ever called it "Birds of Prey". It's not a Birds of Prey movie, it's a Harley Quinn movie that happens to have a version of the Birds of Prey kinda in it. This has been done before to some effect. Edge of Tomorrow got a mid run rename to "Live, Die, Repeat" which actually worked. Switching the name from Birds of Prey to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey kinda changes the understanding of what the movie is at a glance.

To be completely honest the problem this movie is facing in the box office is mostly due to it's R rating. The R rating didn't really add much to the movie, but drastically limited the audience that could actually go see it. Plus they didn't commit to the R rating as hard as a movie like Deadpool does, so the R rating wasn't even really necessary. They also marketed it like a PG-13 movie and not an R movie. The movie has honestly reviewed pretty well. I just got done listening to the /Filmcast review of it, and going in I was sure they'd hate it, but they surprised me and generally enjoyed the movie. Which has been my experience with the reviews I've seen. Outlets I thought would hate it, actually enjoyed it / had a lot of fun with it. I'll be interested to see what next weekend looks like.
    I am also interested Dan in this weekends numbers. I predict a 50-60% fall. Should be 18-20mil range... not really a Valentines movie which may hurt it as well.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post

I am also interested Dan in this weekends numbers. I predict a 50-60% fall. Should be 18-20mil range... not really a Valentines movie which may hurt it as well.
    Maybe. It's hard to say. I'm thinking probably closer to 40% as that tends to be where movies that open around 30 fall to in their 2nd weekends. I'm not sure about Valentines movies though, if you look at what's opening this weekend, there's not a lot of strong competition. If I were looking at this coming weekend in a vacum I'd say Sonic would win the weekend, maybe followed by Fantasy Island. But I suspect the way it'll fall is Sonic, Birds of Prey, then Fantasy Island.

Sonic will probably win due to the "train wreck" effect. Where the original trailers / design for that were so bad that people actually want to see the movie to see if they fixed it. When in reality it's probably gonna be trash. The advertising for Fantasy Island has been super heavy which could help it, but it really doesn't look good. Everything else opening this weekend has kinda been under the radar. I don't think I've even seen trailers for any of the other movies.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Truly don't understand some of these negative comments and reviews. It's got a very good 3.6 on Letterboxd and I feel like it may end up as one of my Top 30 of 2020 when it's all said and done. Maybe people were expecting something that this wasn't interested in doing? Just the freeze frames with the grievances alone makes this a great film!
    You're the target audience though.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

They never should have fixed sonic. That original design was the only entertaining thing about the movie.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I suppose you're right, as someone whose avatar is Harley freakin' Quinn I suppose if you're not a fan of her complete loopy cartoon personality, then it may not work as well, but just from a film-making standpoint, I thought the fights were brilliantly choreographed and it looked like Margot did a lot of her own stunts.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I suppose you're right, as someone whose avatar is Harley freakin' Quinn I suppose if you're not a fan of her complete loopy cartoon personality, then it may not work as well, but just from a film-making standpoint, I thought the fights were brilliantly choreographed and it looked like Margot did a lot of her own stunts.
    Honestly the fights in the movie were extraordinarily refreshing. It was great to have a movie with fights so well done that weren't just a big CGI animated fights.

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 102 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 ... LastLast