+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84 85 86 LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 2137

Thread: Batman and DC films

  1. #2076
    Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Park, Colorado
    Posts
    8,040
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Truly don't understand some of these negative comments and reviews. It's got a very good 3.6 on Letterboxd and I feel like it may end up as one of my Top 30 of 2020 when it's all said and done. Maybe people were expecting something that this wasn't interested in doing? Just the freeze frames with the grievances alone makes this a great film!
    You're the target audience though.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

  2. #2077
    Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Park, Colorado
    Posts
    8,040
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    They never should have fixed sonic. That original design was the only entertaining thing about the movie.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

  3. #2078
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,219
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Truly don't understand some of these negative comments and reviews. It's got a very good 3.6 on Letterboxd and I feel like it may end up as one of my Top 30 of 2020 when it's all said and done. Maybe people were expecting something that this wasn't interested in doing? Just the freeze frames with the grievances alone makes this a great film!
    You're the target audience though.
    I suppose you're right, as someone whose avatar is Harley freakin' Quinn I suppose if you're not a fan of her complete loopy cartoon personality, then it may not work as well, but just from a film-making standpoint, I thought the fights were brilliantly choreographed and it looked like Margot did a lot of her own stunts.

  4. #2079
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,219
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default


  5. #2080
    Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Truly don't understand some of these negative comments and reviews. It's got a very good 3.6 on Letterboxd and I feel like it may end up as one of my Top 30 of 2020 when it's all said and done. Maybe people were expecting something that this wasn't interested in doing? Just the freeze frames with the grievances alone makes this a great film!
    You're the target audience though.
    I suppose you're right, as someone whose avatar is Harley freakin' Quinn I suppose if you're not a fan of her complete loopy cartoon personality, then it may not work as well, but just from a film-making standpoint, I thought the fights were brilliantly choreographed and it looked like Margot did a lot of her own stunts.
    Honestly the fights in the movie were extraordinarily refreshing. It was great to have a movie with fights so well done that weren't just a big CGI animated fights.

  6. #2081
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,219
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default


  7. #2082
    California Dreamin' Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,899
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    It was great to have a movie with fights so well done that weren't just a big CGI animated fights.
    That's good to hear because I'm also tired of the big CGI climaxes in superhero movies nowadays. I'm glad Birds of Prey seems more grounded.
    "Young girls are coming to the canyon / And in the mornings I can see them walking."

  8. #2083
    Maerlyn's Imp Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    I'm liking the 80s vibe in WW84. Looks like it will be a fun flick.

    I must admit, I had little interest in Birds of Prey. I realize its not a Suicide Squad sequel, but it was kind of marketed as such - or at least, marketed as being of the same cinematic style. I didn't much care for the style of SS, although I appreciate that they tried something different. And I do think the title is a problem - as a non-comic-book nerd, "Birds of Prey" doesn't mean anything to me. It could have just a well been a WWII flick as a DC movie.

    HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

    Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven
    Wolf's Hour
    Mister Slaughter
    Ilium

  9. #2084
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,219
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default


  10. #2085
    Live it. webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    14,169
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Wow.
    He looks GREAT.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  11. #2086
    Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is a jewel in the rough Kongo is a jewel in the rough Kongo is a jewel in the rough Kongo is a jewel in the rough Kongo's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    192
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    I'm pretty happy if this is the final suit. Kind of reminds me of the Arkham games. Also the music choice was pretty good. Hopefully it's the new bat theme in some capacity

  12. #2087
    Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    I'm really curious what story line they're going to be adapting. With them casting Pattinson, I have to imagine it's going to be a "fresh" / "young" Batman. I wonder if they're adapting Batman: Year One or something like that.

  13. #2088
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,219
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I could be way off but it might be The Long Halloween, they've announced quite a few confirmed villains already (Catwoman, RIddler, Penguin, Carmine Falcone) and it's also supposed to be a trilogy so they could go really anywhere. It does seem from this tease they are going for a very dark, brooding, and realistic Batman.

  14. #2089
    Live it. webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    14,169
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Man, I LOVE his look and so far my FAV suit of any of the movies. Patterson is no fool... he is a TOP grade actor. I think we are in for a real treat. IF WE WERE REALLY LUCKY... a Phoenix cameo at the end of this film would be amazing.. I really hope they bring these worlds together.... Especially with the 'noir' tones of that little bit we seen.. could match up with the JOKER world perfectly.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  15. #2090
    Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Man, I LOVE his look and so far my FAV suit of any of the movies. Patterson is no fool... he is a TOP grade actor. I think we are in for a real treat. IF WE WERE REALLY LUCKY... a Phoenix cameo at the end of this film would be amazing.. I really hope they bring these worlds together.... Especially with the 'noir' tones of that little bit we seen.. could match up with the JOKER world perfectly.
    Personally I want them to leave them separate. Marvel is already doing the connected universe thing. I'd kinda like it if DC went the other way and left everything a bit disjointed. Gives them room to experiment and try different things. If they stuck to their DCEU plans we never would've gotten a movie like Joker.

  16. #2091
    Live it. webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    14,169
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Man, I LOVE his look and so far my FAV suit of any of the movies. Patterson is no fool... he is a TOP grade actor. I think we are in for a real treat. IF WE WERE REALLY LUCKY... a Phoenix cameo at the end of this film would be amazing.. I really hope they bring these worlds together.... Especially with the 'noir' tones of that little bit we seen.. could match up with the JOKER world perfectly.
    Personally I want them to leave them separate. Marvel is already doing the connected universe thing. I'd kinda like it if DC went the other way and left everything a bit disjointed. Gives them room to experiment and try different things. If they stuck to their DCEU plans we never would've gotten a movie like Joker.
    Not me.... I want to see more of the brother thing explored on screen. More Phoenix... I prefer him over Heath Leger's Joker now and them meeting is something I really want to see on the big screen! You don't?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  17. #2092
    Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Man, I LOVE his look and so far my FAV suit of any of the movies. Patterson is no fool... he is a TOP grade actor. I think we are in for a real treat. IF WE WERE REALLY LUCKY... a Phoenix cameo at the end of this film would be amazing.. I really hope they bring these worlds together.... Especially with the 'noir' tones of that little bit we seen.. could match up with the JOKER world perfectly.
    Personally I want them to leave them separate. Marvel is already doing the connected universe thing. I'd kinda like it if DC went the other way and left everything a bit disjointed. Gives them room to experiment and try different things. If they stuck to their DCEU plans we never would've gotten a movie like Joker.
    Not me.... I want to see more of the brother thing explored on screen. More Phoenix... I prefer him over Heath Leger's Joker now and them meeting is something I really want to see on the big screen! You don't?
    Not really. Pheonix and Leger's Joker's aren't really the Joker I want to see going up against a Batman that has a real rouge's gallery. I think they both work in a world were Batman stands on his own and is more "realistic" like the Christopher Nolan movies, but in the broader DCEU where you have other super heroes with super powers I want the Joker to be more like The Joker from Batman: The Animated Series. Less anarchist / anti establishment. Less clear motivation. More pure chaos / the antithesis of Batman. More what the Joker tends to be in the comics, a force of nature.

    To be honest though I find it unlikely we'll be getting more Pheonix Joker, unless they manage to convince him to do a Joker 2 (which is rumored but both Todd Phillips and WB have denied it). Pheonix is the "artist" type and doesn't seem the type to go in for the whole "franchise / reoccurring role" thing.

  18. #2093
    Gunslinger Apprentice Aremag is a jewel in the rough Aremag is a jewel in the rough Aremag is a jewel in the rough Aremag's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Woodridge, NY
    Posts
    146
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    I can dig what Dan is saying. I loved Heath's Joker but still felt I guess cheated that it was makeup and not falling into a chemical vat that gave him his look. I understood the reasoning and still greatly enjoyed the Dark Knight but wished the Joker's origins were more true to how it has mostly been portrayed over the years in the comics. I liked Joker also but really can't envision that version, no matter how great Phoenix played him, battling Batman.

  19. #2094
    Live it. webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000 seldom gets put on hold webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    14,169
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Man, I LOVE his look and so far my FAV suit of any of the movies. Patterson is no fool... he is a TOP grade actor. I think we are in for a real treat. IF WE WERE REALLY LUCKY... a Phoenix cameo at the end of this film would be amazing.. I really hope they bring these worlds together.... Especially with the 'noir' tones of that little bit we seen.. could match up with the JOKER world perfectly.
    Personally I want them to leave them separate. Marvel is already doing the connected universe thing. I'd kinda like it if DC went the other way and left everything a bit disjointed. Gives them room to experiment and try different things. If they stuck to their DCEU plans we never would've gotten a movie like Joker.
    Not me.... I want to see more of the brother thing explored on screen. More Phoenix... I prefer him over Heath Leger's Joker now and them meeting is something I really want to see on the big screen! You don't?
    Not really. Pheonix and Leger's Joker's aren't really the Joker I want to see going up against a Batman that has a real rouge's gallery. I think they both work in a world were Batman stands on his own and is more "realistic" like the Christopher Nolan movies, but in the broader DCEU where you have other super heroes with super powers I want the Joker to be more like The Joker from Batman: The Animated Series. Less anarchist / anti establishment. Less clear motivation. More pure chaos / the antithesis of Batman. More what the Joker tends to be in the comics, a force of nature.

    To be honest though I find it unlikely we'll be getting more Pheonix Joker, unless they manage to convince him to do a Joker 2 (which is rumored but both Todd Phillips and WB have denied it). Pheonix is the "artist" type and doesn't seem the type to go in for the whole "franchise / reoccurring role" thing.
    OH I 100% bet we will see his Joker again... I would be shocked if we did not... many more times? No.. maybe once but MAYBE twice if lucky.... I think Phoenix likes doing it (playing him) more than we think.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  20. #2095
    Maerlyn's Imp Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Man, I LOVE his look and so far my FAV suit of any of the movies. Patterson is no fool... he is a TOP grade actor. I think we are in for a real treat. IF WE WERE REALLY LUCKY... a Phoenix cameo at the end of this film would be amazing.. I really hope they bring these worlds together.... Especially with the 'noir' tones of that little bit we seen.. could match up with the JOKER world perfectly.
    Personally I want them to leave them separate. Marvel is already doing the connected universe thing. I'd kinda like it if DC went the other way and left everything a bit disjointed. Gives them room to experiment and try different things. If they stuck to their DCEU plans we never would've gotten a movie like Joker.
    I agree; DC would do well to get away from the shared universe thing and just do separate movies - or series of movies centered around single characters. But I think they have to do one or the other - either a shared universe or separate movies. Trying to do both, where they have DCEU and standalone movies with different actors playing the same characters in both will just become a narrative mess.

    Thats not to say separate movies couldn't lead to a team up/Justice League-type movie at some point, but they would be well served by establishing good quality movies with strong characters played by good actors first, and see how that plays.

    HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

    Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven
    Wolf's Hour
    Mister Slaughter
    Ilium

  21. #2096
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,219
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    They're still in the same universe, just not overtly so. There are small references in every movie to other movies. Birds of Prey is a direct sequel to Suicide Squad with scenes from Suicide Squad. Wonder Woman 1984 will probably not reference anything in the universe so far since it takes place so long ago, unless they again have some modern day stuff. I now fully expect them to have The Flash movie be Flashpoint (which has been confirmed) to keep Batman vs. Superman and Justice League canon, just on another Earth. So Barry (from BVS and Justice League) will be able to create a new reality going forward that has the same Wonder Woman and the same Aquaman, and the same Harley Quinn and the same Shazam, but a different Batman, and a different Superman, and probably a different Joker. It makes sense (well if you're a comics fan it makes sense) and it doesn't ignore what came before. Only Barry will know that Bruce used to be different. I doubt they'll go Batman Beyond and have Affleck play old Bruce.

  22. #2097
    Maerlyn's Imp Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Yes, I get that, and I think that works and can continue to work. By all means, have Wonder Woman movies and Flash movies and Suicide Squad movies using the characters and actors that have worked from the previous films. But they don't need to force them in a single narrative. They don't need to have cute cameos as a teaser for movies to come. Have them stand alone as their own narrative threads. Let them establish the tone that fits the characters.

    And then you have Joker, which is explicitly *not* DCEU, and was creative in ways that a DCEU movie couldn't be. So don't have a DCEU.

    Marvel have the shared universe thing down. DC can succeed by doing something different - by not doing that.

    HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

    Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven
    Wolf's Hour
    Mister Slaughter
    Ilium

  23. #2098
    Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Yes, I get that, and I think that works and can continue to work. By all means, have Wonder Woman movies and Flash movies and Suicide Squad movies using the characters and actors that have worked from the previous films. But they don't need to force them in a single narrative. They don't need to have cute cameos as a teaser for movies to come. Have them stand alone as their own narrative threads. Let them establish the tone that fits the characters.

    And then you have Joker, which is explicitly *not* DCEU, and was creative in ways that a DCEU movie couldn't be. So don't have a DCEU.

    Marvel have the shared universe thing down. DC can succeed by doing something different - by not doing that.

    HBJ
    I don't think it needs to be all or nothing. Mostly I think that they need to commit to something being out of canon. Take 'Joker' for example, if they take and squeeze that version of the character into the DCEU because the movie was successful, I think it actually cheapens what they've accomplished with that movie. On top of that it'd be narratively confusing for the DCEU because the story they built just doesn't really fit with the story they have in the DCEU.

    As far as "The Batman" goes, my understanding is that it's "In Universe" but a prequel to anything we've already seen. Batfleck was a much older Bruce Wayne than Pattinson's Bruce Wayne will be. The suit itself is a pretty big giveaway there, what they've shown of it makes it look like a "Version 1" type of suit. Lots of leather and stitching.

  24. #2099
    Maerlyn's Imp Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack has much to be proud of Hunchback Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    I don't think it needs to be all or nothing. Mostly I think that they need to commit to something being out of canon. Take 'Joker' for example, if they take and squeeze that version of the character into the DCEU because the movie was successful, I think it actually cheapens what they've accomplished with that movie. On top of that it'd be narratively confusing for the DCEU because the story they built just doesn't really fit with the story they have in the DCEU.
    I'm not saying it HAS to be all or nothing, but I think you get better movies if its all or nothing.

    Imagine if Disney started making Star Wars movies or series that featured the same characters as the movies to date, but they were explicitly not in the same canon, and played by different actor. It would be confusing, for a start, and most fans would be asking, "Why are we doing this? Just tell good in-universe stories".

    Personally, I think not having a shared universe frees you up to do things with the characters without needing all the movies to have the same rules, or the same histories. There doesn't need to be a single canon. The Chris Reeve Superman movies weren't in the same canon as the Tim Burton Batman movies, and neither were in the same canon as the Nolan Batmans. It was fine. All three of those series worked. Well, except for Batman and Robin. Okay, and Superman IV. But you get my point.

    And I completely agree about Joker. Let it be its own thing. Build on that foundation with more movies if you must, but keep Margot Robbie out of it.

    And I wish The Batman weren't in the same canon. I wish Robert-Pattinson-Batman didn't grow to become Ben-Affleck-Batman, because that gives you more freedom to shape the character in ways that wouldn't lead to Batfleck.

    Just my 2c, of course.

    HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

    Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven
    Wolf's Hour
    Mister Slaughter
    Ilium

  25. #2100
    Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae has a reputation beyond repute mae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,219
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default


+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84 85 86 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts