Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Song of Susannah Q&A *spoilers

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Song of Susannah Q&A *spoilers

The first time I read Song of Susannah I just had my second baby. I was living in this small apartment and giddy with anticipation. I would nurse and read nurse and read at at the end of it all I cried and cried. I remember my hubby had taken my older child to the park for a bit so I could finish up and when it was over I was crying. I loved it. That was the first read. The second time I read Song of Susannah was about five minutes after I read it the first time. I had a different perspective. I liked it but didn't love it. I tell you what that fight scene at the gas station just about made my day!

What was your favorite moment of this book?

What bugged you about this book?

What would you change about Song of Susannah?

If you voted for the gas station, what stood out the most for you?

Did you embrace the turtle skolpadda?

The first time you read Song of Susannah, what was your first thought?

This isn't the most favorite book of the series...Where does it place for you and why?

oh and fuck gretta shaw!

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

lots! but if I have to name just one, it's Jake, Oy and Callahan in New York, getting that key and then the ball from the hotel room. (yes, and their first moment in New York, too, and rev.Harrigan, and Gas Station, and SK himself, I absolutely love all of that, but the one I mentioned is my personal favorite)

Pages From a Writer's Journal. It was as lackluster and tendentious as everything Mr.King writes outside fiction (which, of course, makes it a great literary achievement - he perfectly imitated his own non-fiction style there)

I would exclude Pages From a Writer's Journal altogether, leaving only a few necessary hints, but omitting direct quotes.

how John Cullum appeared and acted, and everything about him

What was an eye opening moment for you?

excuse me? I didn't quite get what you mean

no, not quite, although I loved the scene with "second assistant to the Swedish Ambassador"

It's already the second question I don't quite understand.

This isn't the most favorite book of the series...Where does it place for you and why?

Immediately after The Wolves, on the same level as The Drawing and The Waste Lands; then comes the last volume, and then, after a Big Gap, volumes 1 and 4.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

What was an eye opening moment for you?

excuse me? I didn't quite get what you mean

Hmmm, I'll edit out that question, Jean. I just meant an "ah Ha!" moment where the some of the mysteries of the Tower were unveiled and was it a surprise or had you already figured it out.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

When it finally ended.

Stephen King's presence, Susannah, and why the fuck there's a song with lame rhyming.

Hmmm... Not a thing.

Eddie was true, even when he was barely conscious.

Seemed like yet another unnecessary "god machine" for me.

This is the worst artwork I've ever seen.

At the very, very end. If I was on a deserted island and could have either Song of Susannah, or any of the other books written in mandarin chinese, I'd choose the latter.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    At the very, very end. If I was on a deserted island and could have either Song of Susannah, or any of the other books written in mandarin chinese, I'd choose the latter.

Just please PLEASE tell me you'd choose it rather than ANY Jane Austen book.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

This is the worst artwork I've ever seen.
    Well that answers that one for me as well. I even preferred the ultra-abstract artwork from W&G with the giant-headed Susan to the art in S.o.S.

-------

As for the rest of the questions...

Jake pulling the gun on the cab driver.

Again, I agree with Ryan. The commala-verse song annoyed the crap out of me.

I'd lose the above-mentioned "rhyme"

I didn't vote for the gas station, but can I still answer? I liked how quickly Cullum got with the program and helped them out.

It was a bit heavy-handed of King, but I liked it's effect on the Swede and the Hotel Desk Clerk.

Last, but I don't hate it or anything. I just like the others better.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

I've never really read Jane Austen, nor will I ever, because you've convinced me she's the worst writer in history.

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

The fight scene was awesome but two things that stand out in my mind the strongest are Jake going into a rage at the cabbie, demanding an apology and Pere giving Jake his last rights before going into the Dixie Pig.

I wasn't fond of the Writer's Journal but I think what bugged me most was that so much of the novel was about Susannah and Mia. I know, I know...it's called Song of Susannah so naturally her part of the story would be foremost but so much of it seemed to drag on. And I just really didn't like Mia.

Nothing too major, I guess. Wasn't fond of the art in it, either.

I didn't vote for it the second time around but it was John Collum keeping his cool. I liked Roland's address to Andolini, too.

I suppose I did. I remember feeling a bit sad when it was lost later in the story.

"I love Detta in this book!"

I don't hate it but like I've already said, I don't care much for Mia and while reading the chunks with her and Susannah I kept thinking, "Get on with it already." Like R_of_G, I just like the other better.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I quite liked the artwork, some of it anyway. As for that freaky picture of Susannah, it gave me a chill but I liked it. Beautiful and hideous all at once, a good illustration of her fractured nature. The art was good in my opinion although I can understand why many wouldn't like it. It was certainly disturbing.

I find this difficult as there is a lot I like, but I think the scenes with Susannah and Mia, particularly the scenes when they palaver on the castle wall. This was the first time we learn some of the underlying mythology of the book, The Tower, the prim, and the greater Discordia, as well as answering certain questions concerning Susannah/Mia's pregnancy.

If I can choose a second (but not necessarily lesser) moment it would be the scenes involving Callahan and Jake. Not so much Jake's actions with the taxi driver but the Black 13 stuff and the lead in to the Dixie Pig was great.

Not a lot, but I'd have liked to have had more explanation as to the connection between Toren and Deschain families.
    Spoiler:
    We never got much explanation except that Calvin Tower was a kind of guardian of the rose.

What I described in the 'bugged' section above.

I didn't vote for this, but I agree it was a great scene. Just the whole action was interesting and the new character and his reaction was great.

Yes. I accept it, since it originated in the bowling ball bag found near the rose. It makes sense to me that something with a will and intelligence like the Tower or Beam could produce tools to aid our ka-tet in their journey. If it had just turned up like the letter in Calvin's safe or the key and note in the envelope King sent Jake, (I'm not a fan of the Writer acting directlly in that way, albeit I accept his presence in this tale) I'd be less sure.

Oh, and the scene in the park was amusing. And the receptionist and her gift of prophesy gave me goosebumps.

I can't remember, as it was a while ago. Probably that I couldn't wait for the next book to resolve the cliff-hanger. Not that I think leaving it on a cliff-hanger was a bad thing as some people seem to. It wasn't like we had to wait long for DT 7.

Apart from that I remember thinking how it was such a different change of pace to the previous book, quite a ride.

Quite high up for me, although I'm not sure exactly where in relation to the other books.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Let's see. Jake, oy and Callahan in New York, getting the key, the ball. I also liked the scenes of Mia and Susannah talking to each other at the castle

The writers journal and the commala song. Don't really know why

I would not change anything about the book

The way Eddie fought even though he was half conscious and that John Collum stood up with Roland and Eddie during the fight

yes, for the most part

I could not wait for the next book. I love Song of Susannah

This isn't the most favorite book of the series...Where does it place for you and why? I cannot say that I have a favorite book in the series. I love them all. I love mia and susannah and detta for that matter. I love the whole concept of the series

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

jake, oy, and the pere fighting in the dixie pig; jake going off on the cabbie

hmmmm. probably the journal at the end of it. it felt very contrived to me.

i'd remove the journal.

i didn't vote for the gas station (please don't throw things at me) but what stood out for me was john cullum being so cool through it all. he seemed to me the quintessential mainer - just taking it all in stride you know?

i loved the skoldpadda. just loved him. he represented all that was good and proper in the world. i was in the hospital when i was reading this and my husband brought me a stuffed turtle to keep me company and i named him the skoldpadda. i think the idea of a talismanic object that can make people happy this way is wonderful. one that has power, that can be used for good, that can make people feel happy by it's mere presence. aaaaah.

i hated this book the first time i read it. i slogged through it thinking "i just have to get through this so that when the next one comes out i can read it". same each reread. until this time, now it's moved up to third from the bottom.

the dark tower; the waste land; the drawing of the three; wolves of the calla; song of susannah; the gunslinger; wizard and glass

oh and fuck gretta shaw!
    oh and back away from greta shaw you greta haters!

I don't hate Greta. That's too light of a word. I loathe that bitch.

really? hmmmm. and here i thought she was your favorite character in all of the books combined. really ryan. you ought to learn to make your positions a little clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    really? hmmmm. and here i thought she was your favorite character in all of the books combined. really ryan. you ought to learn to make your positions a little clearer.
    I'll try turtlesong. I'm not known for my oratory.

:runs to find Virgil:

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    I'll try turtlesong. I'm not known for my oratory.

:runs to find Virgil:

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Gas Station hands down.

3 things: 1) baby storyline (babies aren't my bag, baby); 2) commala come pop, please make the rhyming stop; and 3) Pages From a Writer's Journal.

Well obviously taking the baby storyline out is not an option, so I would drop the song and, as Jean suggested, change the Writer's Journal portion to a summary.

"The truck slid by with a majestic lack of speed." Man, everything about that scene was beautiful and reminded me why I fell in love with King's writing in the first place. Also, it's where we meet the awesome John Cullum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

no, not quite, although I loved the scene with "second assistant to the Swedish Ambassador"
    I agree wholeheartedly. The second assitant was a great miniscule part.

Where's book 7? Seriously. When King announced the last three were definitely being released, I was ecstatic. However, I waited until they were all out before I bought one because I knew I would go crazy otherwise.

Well, it's hard for me to rank them as they move around favorite-wise depending on my mood. The only thing that is a constant is that W&G is always last.

ETA: This is my 500th post. w00t!
    Last edited by Woofer; 07-14-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: ETA: This is my 500th post. w00t!
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    <snip>
    2) commala come pop, please make the rhyming stop
    <snip>

and congrats on 500 posts!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    <...> commala come pop, please make the rhyming stop
    <...>
    "The truck slid by with a majestic lack of speed."

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Jake and the cabbie & the gunfight at the gas station

The rhyming and the whole stanza thing. It was a bit jarring since the other 6 books were pretty much constructed the same way.

First the rhyming, then I'd try to see if I could re-structure the stanzas into parts and chapters, but then again, I'm not a writer.

The sense of deja-vu with seeing Andolini again, and John Cullum's role. He sure had a lot of Red Sox memorabilia.

I didn't mind it so much.

I was struck how King really didn't like Roland all that much.

I don't like these questions. I like the entire series. Sure, one book HAS to be the "worst" of the bunch. That's like asking me who is my least favorite Oriole in the Hall of Fame? If I had to answer that one, I'd probably go with Jim Palmer just because of his enormous ego.

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

I've never really read Jane Austen, nor will I ever, because you've convinced me she's the worst writer in history.
    Jane Austen, I think, is the reason the YA genre exists.

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hard to pick just one. Mia and Susannah on the allure, both times, was good because Mia spoke about the Beams. Explained a bit about the mythology of the seven books.

Not much until I read some of the questions here (in the Baronies/SOS) and my brain has since become boggled. Maybe that bit about "Henry was in the Nam" cause it doesn't seem to jive with their ages and what they were doing in 1977, when Henry is confused about who is president, Carter, I think the story said.

Perhaps I'd try to explain better how Balazar knew where to be, when to be.

I guess I kinda voted for the gas station, or did I? The truck as a Lost Beast of the Eld...interesting image...John Cullum.

First time or two through, yeah, works for me. Still does, I guess.

What happens next!

I admire anyone who can string words together and tell a tale. Every book in the series has been a joy to read, and read again. I've had a range of emotions throughout each read and though I've numbered "anger" and "disappointment" among them, it's hard to pick a favorite or a least favorite. There's some parts that are incredible, fascinating, pure joy to read. The disappointments are minor and I don't think any of them were visible on the first pass.

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The ambush part

Stephen King as character.

Hmmm i can't say that i'd just take out the King's role there because it would change everything (perhaps for the better). So i'd change nothing

I didn't mind it at all. It was there but i didn't see anything in it

1) Why did King write about himself
    2) I want the next book

Last.
    Can't even be compared with other DT books.

I am the one I am the one
    The godlike terror train
    The superior, artificial brain
    Feel free to call me Blaine!

Gunslinger Apprentice Django is on a distinguished road Django's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland and Eddie in Maine.

I was afraid how he'll handle his own appearance in it, but he pulled it off.

I'm not here to change anything.

John Cullum.

Sure, yeah.

Good thing I bought the last two books together.

The lower portion of the scale.

John F. Kennedy Anastasia is on a distinguished road Anastasia's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland and Eddie meeting SK
    Susannah and Mia’s talks in Discordia and Fedic
    Scenes in Susannah’s Dogan and how she used visualization
    The use of skolpadda and the effect it had on people
    And am I the only one who quite liked all that short commala songs?

Well, I guess the fact that in general book was about nothing; there was almost no action at all. There was just Susannah and all other people leaving in her head.
    Also I didn’t like that it turned out that Roland is the father of Mordred. And the way Jake behaved towards the taxi driver. Oh, and how could Calvin Tower be so stubborn? That was a bit irritating...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
    Well, I guess the fact that in general book was about nothing; there was almost no action at all.
    That's precisely why bears love it so much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast