Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Book Release Dates List

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just corrected the rates for the Green Mile volumes. They were released on the last Thursday of each month, it appears (I bought them all on release day, but of course don't remember).

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    If I recall correctly, George Beahm used specific release dates in his book THE STEPHEN KING STORY. I think they were incorporated into his text and not in a comprehensive list. I'm not sure where he got them but George's research was always pretty good. I'll check when I get home tonight.

As happens so regularly these days my memory is faulty. George refers mostly to the month and year of the early Doubleday releases without giving a specific day of the month in his book.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Default Release dates

I worked at a bookstore in the 70's and release dates were never designated
    or specific as they have been the last 20 years. I remember unpacking Night Shift (my first King book I bought a 1st ediiton HB I still own!) and the Doubleday catalog said "Fall Release" and the book didn't come out until December. I don't think there were actual specific dates for the early books.
    I may be wrong but that's my old memories!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Justin Brooks Bibliography will give you the months and years to many of them!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The Tommyknockers: Nov 10, 1987 (source: Castle Rock Newsletter, October 1987)

Misery: May 21, 1987 (source: CRN, July 1987 -- official pub date was June 8th but it wasn't a hard-and-fast date)

The Drawing of the Three: April 1987 (excerpt published in April/May 1987 CRN) Since this was only available by mail order, I don't think there is an official publication date

It: Official date in September, but books were in stores in August, 1986. I remember purchasing my copy in Brussels while I was on a summertime trip around Europe, and I was back from that trip before the end of August.

Skeleton Crew: Listed as May 1985 in the first issue of CRN

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Great info. Thanks Bev, and CrinVa, hopefully we can get more dates that are confirmed.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for those, Bev! Excellent info.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Justin Brooks Bibliography will give you the months and years to many of them!
    Justin will admit, these are not confirmed. I have been talking to him about the dates in his book very recently.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll be posting a quite a few dates shortly, from a good source.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

According to 'The Complete Guide to the Works of Stephen King' by Rocky Wood, David Rawthorne and Norma Blackburn:

1977: The Shining (January)
    This would jibe with the Doubleday Gutter theory as the book was physically printed the 49th week of 1976, thus it was likely to be published VERY early in 1977

1977: Rage (September)
    1978: Night Shift (February)
    1978: The Stand (September)
    This differs from the first post, The Doubleday theory indicated this book was physically printed in September, 1978. The question is, did the book reach the market that month, or several weeks later in November?

1979: The Dead Zone (August)
    1979: The Long Walk (July)
    1980: Firestarter (S/L in July, Trade in September)
    1981: Cujo (October)
    1981: Danse Macabre (April)
    1981: Roadwork (April)
    1982: Creepshow (July)
    1982: Different Seasons (August 27, 1982)
    1982: The Gunslinger (August)
    1982: The Running Man (May)
    1983: Christine (April 29, 1983)

1983: Pet Sematary (November 14, 1983-FYI-Monday)
    1984: The Talisman (November 8, 1984-FYI-Thursday)
    1984: Thinner (November)
    1985: Skeleton Crew (June 21, 1985-FYI-Friday)
    1986: It (September 15, 1986-FYI-Monday)

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for such thorough work!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Additional dates from 'The Complete Guide to the Works of Stephen King' :
    Some of these conflict with what you have listed.

1987: The Eyes of the Dragon (February)
    1987: The Drawing of the Three (May)
    1987: Misery (June 8-FYI, a Monday))
    1987: The Tommyknockers (November)
    1988: Nightmares in the Sky (November)
    1989: The Dark Half (World first release October 2, in the UK. US release November)
    1990: Four Past Midnight (September)
    1990: The Stand: Uncut (May)
    1991: Needful Things (October)
    1991: The Waste Lands (August)
    1992: Gerald’s Game (May)
    1992: Dolores Claiborne (November)
    1993: Nightmares & Dreamscapes (October)
    1994: Insomnia (April) Note: King travelled across the country in October promoting the book, therefore I believe the April listing is incorrect, and that October is more likely-just my opinion.
    1995: Rose Madder (July)
    1996: The Green Mile (Complete edition as a paperback-September) [Hardcover: October 3, 2000-FYI, a Tuesday]
    1996: Desperation (September 24, 1996-FYI, a Tuesday))
    1996: The Regulators (September 24, 1996)
    1997: Wizard and Glass (November-The S/L was released in August)
    1998: Bag of Bones (September 22, 1998-FYI, a Tuesday))
    1999: Storm of the Century (February 1, 1999-FYI, a Monday)
    1999: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (April 6, 1999-FYI, a Tuesday)
    1999: Hearts in Atlantis (September)
    2000: On Writing (October)
    2000: Secret Windows
    2001: Dreamcatcher (March 20, 2001-FYI, a Tuesday)
    2001: Black House (September 15, 2001-FYI, a Saturday) This seems odd.
    2002: Everything’s Eventual (March 19, 2001-FYI, a Tuesday)
    2002: From a Buick 8 (September 24, 2004-FYI a Tuesday)
    2003: Wolves of the Calla (November 4, 2003-FYI a Tuesday)
    2004: Song of Susannah (June 8, 2004-FYI a Tuesday)
    2004: The Dark Tower (September 21, 2004-FYI a Tuesday and also King's birthday)

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    2001: Black House (September 15, 2001-FYI, a Saturday) This seems odd.
    It is odd, but I do remember it was very shortly after the tragic events of 9/11.

So with that updated, the only one month missing is for Secret Windows. Is it safe to assume it came out October 3rd, like On Writing?

Now we need to only find out the actual days for all those unbolded books I realize there were no set "release dates" back in the 70s, so when did this practice come into being?

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

1997: Wizard and Glass (November)

The trade cover proof says Pub. Date November 4 1997

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Yes, the Saturday release date for Black House was odd but accurate.

I doubt there is a specific release date for Secret Windows because it was a BOMC publication and only available via mail.

Gunslinger Apprentice natehorning is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth, my Firestarter proof quotes a September 29, 1980 publication date.

Nate

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by natehorning View Post
    For what it's worth, my Firestarter proof quotes a September 29, 1980 publication date.

Nate
    A Monday.
    I'd say that a proof qualifies as a "good source" for validation.

Gunslinger Apprentice natehorning is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    A Monday.
    I'd say that a proof qualifies as a "good source" for validation.
    In that case, the Thinner proof quotes a November 19, 1984 date and the Nightmares and Dreamscapes says September 29, 1993.

Nate

Country
    Country Flag

Excellent! Thanks, natehorning!

Just remember that in the old days, there weren't embargoed street dates, so books sometimes went on sale up to a few weeks before the official pub date. I remember going looking for The Dark Half around the time it was published and the guy at the checkout had a bunch under the counter that he was selling as if they were drugs. Pssst. Just don't tell anyone where you got it...

Country
    Country Flag

But there seem to have been set release dates in any case, even though they may not have been adhered to as they are now (remember the brouhaha when the last Harry Potter book was released early?).

So, anyone uncover any missing release dates?

The Shining
    Rage
    Night Shift
    The Stand
    The Long Walk
    The Dead Zone
    Danse Macabre
    Roadwork
    Cujo
    The Running Man
    Creepshow
    The Gunslinger
    Cycle of the Werewolf
    The Drawing of the Three
    Nightmares in the Sky
    Four Past Midnight
    The Stand: Uncut
    Needful Things
    The Waste Lands
    Gerald’s Game
    Dolores Claiborne
    Insomnia
    Rose Madder

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

pablo, many of those I have listed a source and a date for. If it jibes with info you have, perhaps that can be considered confirmed.

Country
    Country Flag

I meant actual days to go along with the months. Maybe some of our supercollectors could look at some of their proofs or other promotional material.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The proofs cannot always be reliable. I've noticed a number of them have the wrong date, wrong price, etc. A good current example were the two "Manuscript Proofs" of Blaze. One had the price as $25, the other with the correct price of $24.

John

Country
    Country Flag

John is right, proofs are not always the most accurate. Stick to ARCs with publisher's letters

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast