Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Book Release Dates List

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i can confirm the Dreamcatcher date with the following material:

Postcard sent from Scribner:

------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That one I believe!

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome! Thank you.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So has anyone else been able to find any other missing dates for the list in the first post (Rose Madder, for instance)?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

2009: Under The Dome, November 10.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for bringing this back. Forgot all about it. UTD added to the list.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

'Salem's Lot October 28, 1975

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    'Salem's Lot October 28, 1975
    Really? We have a date of September 5. I don't recall the source of that date now, but it's in bold which means it was confirmed.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

September 5 is when the story actually begins in the book with Ben's arrival in Jerusalem's Lot. George Beahm indicated that SL was released near Halloween, 1975. Using Tuesday as the traditional release day puts it at the 28th.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I would go with a release in October.
    Based upon the Doubleday Gutter Code Theory, the book was printed the 37th week of 1975-September 8-12. It takes at least 2-6 weeks to distribute the books for release throughout the U.S.
    Back in the early King days, his (and others) books were not always released on Tuesday's.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Odd I don't remember this list the first time around, but it's very valuable. Thanks!

btw, has anyone checked around for advance proof letters from the publisher which usually states the release date for the ones that are missing?
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I would go with a release in October.
    Based upon the Doubleday Gutter Code Theory, the book was printed the 37th week of 1975-September 8-12. It takes at least 2-6 weeks to distribute the books for release throughout the U.S.
    Back in the early King days, his (and others) books were not always released on Tuesday's.

RF,

Sounds reasonable. I didn't want to assume that Tuesdays were official release days back in 1975 but I have a high degree of confidence that it was formally released between October 27-30. Hutch has a 1st edition signed by SK on October 17, 1975 so following the gutter code theory SK would have had copies available to sign at that time.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah it's tough to maintain this list with any degree of completeness when it's practically impossible to pinpoint the release dates for those early books. They just didn't have set release dates back then, did they?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    btw, has anyone checked around for advance proof letters from the publisher which usually states the release date for the ones that are missing?
    Geoff, very often the release dates listed on the proofs and the associated letters are incorrect. I would not rely on those.

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps Bob or Terry has paperwork that would correctly indicate the issue date.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps Bob or Terry has paperwork that would correctly indicate the issue date.
    I think the publication date was October 17, 1975.

Here are a couple of internal memos from the Doubleday offices that refer to the publication date and to the correcting of the price of the book and the infamous Father "Cody" error.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Photo of a King signature in my collection on a copy of 'SALEM'S LOT. I don't think I have seen an earlier one but probably there are some out there somewhere.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

That is enough info to convince me that Friday, 10/17/1975 was the release date.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I think the publication date was October 17, 1975.

Here are a couple of internal memos from the Doubleday offices that refer to the publication date and to the correcting of the price of the book and the infamous Father "Cody" error.

Mystery solved. Well done, Bob.

Country
    Country Flag

Amazing! Thanks. List updated! Would it be possible to fill the other gaps with similar information, and verify the supposedly verified ones, especially for the earlier titles?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Amazing! Thanks. List updated! Would it be possible to fill the other gaps with similar information, and verify the supposedly verified ones, especially for the earlier titles?
    It is possible, but only with the help of Collectors such as Bob, Terry and Hutch (sorry if I missed someone)-who, (thankfully) have a great deal of SK information at hand.
    I am sure if any of them visited the University of Maine (at Orono), they would be granted permission to King's donated items, and could collaboratively define most any early publishing question.

Gunslinger Apprentice blg is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

This isn't very scientific, but I'm pretty sure the October 1994 release date for Insomnia is wrong. I moved to Oregon in October of '94 and am positive I purchased and read the book over the previous summer. I'll see if I can dig up any more info.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    It is possible, but only with the help of Collectors such as Bob, Terry and Hutch (sorry if I missed someone)-who, (thankfully) have a great deal of SK information at hand.
    I am sure if any of them visited the University of Maine (at Orono), they would be granted permission to King's donated items, and could collaboratively define most any early publishing question.

And I would have thought the people at The Fogler would visit Bob' house if they needed to research King publication information.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice blg is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blg View Post
    This isn't very scientific, but I'm pretty sure the October 1994 release date for Insomnia is wrong. I moved to Oregon in October of '94 and am positive I purchased and read the book over the previous summer. I'll see if I can dig up any more info.
    Looks like I was wrong....go figure. Insomnia hit #1 on the NY Times bestseller list on 10/23/94.

Country
    Country Flag

The Gunslinger was listed as having been released in August, but I changed that to June 10 as per the Grant flyer (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...postcount=4320).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast