Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Recommendations...

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Bookwise, I'd read Anne Rice's Witching Hour trilogy. Not über scary, but freaky, and really good historical fiction.

Actually, you can stop at The Witching Hour. the other two were anticlimatic, IMHO. But the first one was great.
    I agree with your last part. Lasher and Taltos were kinda crappy. I really like the main characters in TWH. I'm not sure I would call it "historical fiction" though. Fiction, with some history....and might be a stretch.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

True. I can agree with that assessment.

The two later books were disappointing. I really loved The Witching Hour, though. I guess maybe I call it historical fiction because you get such a great background of the whole family. It totally bummed me out that the other two sucked by comparison.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Have you read The Vampire Chronicles as well Daghain? I would suggest those books (well, most) also. Unfortunately, the last two books when Anne Rice tried to "merge" the witches and vampires, were not very good.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, partly. I enjoyed the first one quite a bit. I don't think I went past that one.

I remember in high school I stumbled across some vampire books by Fred Saberhagen. Ever read those? I remember them as being really good, but it's literally been 20+ years since I read them. I'm not even sure they're still in print. I'd like to read them again - I had a teenage obsession with vampires and recall those books as being extremely good - I'd like to see if my 41-year-old self still thinks the same as my 17-year-old self.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't know if I've ever read any of his stuff, but I also have a lingering vampire obsession, so I'll check him out if I can find him.
    I remember reading They Thirst as a teenager and really digging that. However, I might just choose to let my memory of it being enjoyable remain a memory, I was so disappointed when I reread the first 3 Lestat books last year. She just seemed so cheesy and cliched, where I'd remembered her as being entirely the opposite.

I read the Witching trilogy and agree entirely with you and Monte.

I do recommend Code 61 by Donald Harstad though, very original twist and approach to a vampire story.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3