Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: King Book Signing-November 6, 2008

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

He's up here until um, crap, I don't remember when! LOL But I know he was staying a little longer then driving back. So mayhap tomorrow?
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

thanks karen.
    i was worried something had happened with his wife.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

First off, it is great to be home finally, but it was a wonderful trip for my wife and I. We drove up from SC to Mass. beginning Monday Nov. 3 and are just getting home Tuesday Nov. 11. I am tired as all hell too. My legs are pretty much done for the next few days.

Let me start at the beginning of the event. My wife and I got to the college about 5:00 because we had been told the doors wouldn’t open until about 5:15 for the reception. That was an untruth. The doors opened at about 5:40 for the 5:30 reception. After that it was out of a dream. It started out from a nightmare though. I am a big guy and sweat pretty easily. The room was small and full of people, add to that a medium phobia of crowds and I was sweating buckets. People were gathered in a knot around a single figure. I couldn’t see what was going on because of the people. Then the crowd began to turn and there he was, towering above most of them. Stephen King himself. Oh my god, I nearly fainted, from the heat, fear, or excitement I know not. The heat was becoming unbearable, and the press of the people jockeying for position was more like a cattle drive than a group of civilized people.

Did I mention the CAMERA FLASHES!!! I thought we weren’t allowed to take pictures, but I GUESS I WAS WRONG. I didn't bring the camera with me. We had been told by the bookstore staff that pictures weren't allowed, but I had been planning to bring it anyway (I mean, how many times am I likely to be able to meet HIM) but dumbass (that's me) forgot the damn thing in the car that was parked about a half mile away, and now I’m not going to be able to take a picture of me with Stephen King. Oh well I’ll deal with it. People are pushing and moving in the crowd like cars from a really crowded Nascar race. I had to step out of the crowd twice before I was able to meet Stephen King himself. I shook his hand, introduced myself and my wife and thanked him for giving us The Green Mile. I told him I’m a former Correctional Officer and thanked him for humanizing that role in life. He responded “Well, they’re people too.” I had just had my brush with greatness. I wanted to get my hand bronzed right then. I stepped out of the mass of humanity and got me a drink of water. My wife and I sampled the foods that were available and got a drink of water.

Maybe fifteen minutes went by and now a lady is trying to open a window to get the air circulating. It’s very hot in the little room. I offered to help and another gentleman and I had to actually step onto a window seat behind one of the food tables before we got some windows open. I spoke to the fellow that helped me for a moment and noticed he had a camera. I asked if he would get a picture for me and email it to me. He said no problem. Thank God for digital cameras.

I grab my wife, and drag her (not too hard to do) back into the fray. It’s smaller now and easier to deal with. We step in and I ask Sai King (I CAN’T call him Stephen) if he will take a picture. He says “Sure” and my wife and I pose for a picture (the pic you see here and as my avatar). Thank you Rolf.

My wife goes out of the room and I go with her. She doesn't stand up well and going to sit down. I go back in after a few minutes and am witness to King announcing that he now has “Flash Burn!” and one of the bookstore employees making the very loud and funny (well, to me at least) announcement that there will be “No more pictures. Seriously! Put the cameras away now.” King then begins to mingle with the crowd that has broken into little groups here and there. I wander around for a bit hoping to recognize someone from the forum, but I don’t.

Finally I wander over to King again. He is talking to someone. I’m content just to listen to the cadence of his voice and am lost in a thought (gone now) when he turns and asks me “Which prison did you work in?” I answered telling him where and the name. He asked if I had ever seen the show Locked Up. I told him I had, but that The Big House was a better show when it was running. I also told him that I despised the show OZ. It was nothing like prison life in my opinion even though many others thought it seemed realistic. I lived in that world for eight years and just found OZ too overdone to be believable. I then said that what had really held my attention for a while was The Shield on FX. He then said he loved the show too. For the next five minutes, I spoke with Stephen King about the doings and intrigues of The Shield. Then he said he had to go mingle with everyone else, and he was gone. I was left with five minutes spent with Stephen King, a man whose writing I have loved for most of my life, discussing as in depth as you can in five minutes a show that we both enjoy. Discussing what we think will happen between Vic and Shane. How much we enjoyed Forrest Whitaker’s tour de force in season five, and our thoughts on Glenn Close’s character from season four. Unknown to me, my wife had walked into the room while I was talking with him and said jokingly that she thought it sounded like a couple of women discussing their favorite soaps. She was very happy for me. Apparently, the same gentleman who took the picture for me also got one of me talking to King. I wasn’t aware of that either. For those five minutes, there was no one in the world but me and Stephen King. It was a great day. The event had not even begun for many, and the discussion was still to come as was the signing. I was flying high for the rest of the day and still have moments of flight now. It was a great day, a beautiful trip, and a wondrous experience.

That’s my tale. The picture is the final icing on the cake. My wife, Stephen King, and me(sweat and all)
    Attached Images
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Just one word:

AMAZING!!!

REALLY REALLY AMAZING!!

Congratulations!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Country
    Country Flag

After the event my wife and I went out to eat with Karen, her husband, and some other friends from here (some Skemers went too). It was a great time, eating and sharing with like minded people our experiences. Karen, it was lovely meeting you. If there is another time, I promise to try not to leave the phone in the car.

Turtlesong, I am sorry to say that I didn't remember to tell him you said "Hi". I was in such a state that I barely remembered to get dressed before we left the hotel room. Thank God for wives.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

sam,

what can i say? i am so happy for you. and the picture is wonderful. i'm so glad it was everything you hoped for and more. and don't worry about saying hi for me. i was only joking.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Sam, glad you are wifey got back ok!

The pic is awsome!!

And yeah, if there ever is another time, dammit, don't forget the camera either!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Great story, Sam! Congratulations!

John

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Sam, what a wonderful story. I'm glad you had such a good time. I'm really regretting having not gone to the reception now.
    I appologize that I didn't come over and say hi. I saw you walking around asking for Nerek, but when you walked by I was heading up and get my book signed so I didn't get a chance, and I ended up leaving afterwards and didn't see you on the way out. Although I think at that point I was in such a haze from meeting the man himself that everything was a blur.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great story and picture Sam! Thanks for sharing, and it was an honor to meet you. Glad you are home safe and sound.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Sam - What a wonderful story.

Thank you for sharing it and congrats on the picture and the conversation.

How cool !

And I'm glad you're home and had safe travels.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

thats amazing Sam! :-)

Very nice picture
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Posted by Ms. Mod

Mount Holyoke College has posted a story, photo gallery, and podcast of the event which you can view here.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Lurking

coolio!! Thanks for the link, I saved some of the pics!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thanks so much for the link Matt!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

What she said!!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

OK Sam I saw you and your lovely wife in the pics on the Holyoke web site! Also saw CJ form SKEMERs!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Lurking

Yeah, Like CJ, Dawn, Donna and (Michelle ?) where going to miss THAT event!! LOL

I want your Bulldog av!!!! The bulldog was my high school mascot!!!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    Yeah, Like CJ, Dawn, Donna and (Michelle ?) where going to miss THAT event!! LOL

I want your Bulldog av!!!! The bulldog was my high school mascot!!!
    Then take it Karen - it's only temporary here! :-)

Bulldog was my kids HS Mascot as well!

Mine was a Tiger! But that was liek bac in the Dark Ages! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13