Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wolves Of The Calla Q&A. *spoilers

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

What was your favourite moment of this book?

Roland introducing his Ka-tet to the people of Calla and trusting Eddie with a speech

What was your least favourite moment?

Mia taking over

Were you pleased to be reacquainted with Pere Callahan? If you have read Salem's Lot, did it affect whether you were able to like/respect him?

Never rewad Salem's Lot so Pere Callahan's story was new to me and I liked it

Which relationship did you prefer? Susan and Roland or Rosalita and Roland?

Rosalita and Roland simply because as Rosa said "they were well me". Also Roland liked that he was her man even if it was for a little while. Plus he showed her affection by hugging her in front of the women of Calla when they were practicing throwing the plates. Susan/Roland I found utterly boring.

What was your opinion of the Calla folken? Did you find them cowardly, or did you sympathise with them?

I found them cowardly especially because they wouldn't fight to keep their kids safe

Did you like Roland more, or less in this story? Did you feel you saw a different side of him?

I love Roland more and more as the quest went on. When he danced showed me a different side. I was actually surprised

What was your initial reaction to the Susannah/Mia storyline?

The Susannah/Mia storyline was disgusting and I didn't think a whole needed to dedicated to them

What did you think the wolves would be? Did you think the battle was satisfying or an anti-climax?

I actually thought they were going to wolves lol. The battle was good and loved how Roland was the leader

John F. Kennedy grobblewobble will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Innocent

Quote Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
    What was your favourite moment of this book?

=> The whole Dogan stuff. I really like to have a glimpse at a whole mysterious strcture thourgh a detail. The Dogan is a detail, a small part of the whole North Central Positronics and Lamerk business.
    There is nothing I enjoy more than uncovering, step by step, the skeleton of a dead giant. Understanding all the rules of the ancien world, trying to see how they lived and discovering all what they had set up for a futur that never came. I found all this in Andy and the Dogan, even if that's a very small part of the book.

=> Meet Black Thirteen. I loved the feeling of absolute power coming out of that glass ball.

What was your least favourite moment?

=> Gosh when I saw the name of Stephen King inside his own book, I felt like screaming. I just can't stand authors featuring their own story.

Were you pleased to be reacquainted with Pere Callahan? If you have read Salem's Lot, did it affect whether you were able to like/respect him?

=> Never heard of him before.
    He really attracted me at his first appearance as a strong old guy, during the Town gathering. I didn't really enjoy his story though, and I was as pissed as Eddie when he refused Susannah to get rid of the monster inside her. But again, all things serves Ka, so did he.

Which relationship did you prefer? Susan and Roland or Rosalita and Roland?

=> Wow, I can't compare that. The Roland and Susan relationship is very set on a very long period, unlike Roland and Rosalita's.

I'd rather compare Roland/Rosalita to Jonas/Coral, both aren't much told about. Both are quite subtle and very true. Roland and Susan are very classical and like Romeo and Juliet.

What was your opinion of the Calla folken? Did you find them cowardly, or did you sympathise with them?

=> First I was confused, I didn't know who was who. Even if it got better as the story went on, I kept looking up from the book and think hard each time I saw the name of Overholser, Eisenhart or their wives'...
    In the end the one I prefer is Slightman the father.

=> The folken as a whole aren't really easy to think of. I can't really say if I like them or hate them.

Did you like Roland more, or less in this story? Did you feel you saw a different side of him?

=> LESS, I'm stupid and I know it, but each time Roland steps away from who he was in the first tome, my affection for him decreases. I fell in love with that man that could let a kid fall to his death, just to chase his Tower.

What was your initial reaction to the Susannah/Mia storyline?

=> I thought it was a good idea. It really fits the wild creature always sleeping in Susannah's body. Detta was another version of that same creature. I'm not the tiniest bit disturbed by Mia eating raw frogs (cuz I'm french, duh!) or other stuffs.

What did you think the wolves would be? Did you think the battle was satisfying or an anti-climax?

=> I thought the wolves would be some kind of vampires or human-like creatures. I thought they would be incredibly clever, incredibly strong (even bare-handed) and that combined to their amazing weapons, their skills would make them the toughest enemies Roland had ever met. :-/

You can imagine my disappointment.

=> ANTI-CLIMAX. A whole big book coming down to that. I was really disapointed.
    During pages and pages you're given the impression that Roland is preparing a great plan with lies and traps and ambushes (yes, many of them) and various battles. In the end they spurt out of a ditch and take down all the said-to-be-dreadfull wolves that turn out to be...Marvel characters?!
    I'm sorry to say so but I didn't like it.
    I agreed with almost every word of this response. I especially don't get how you can be a King fan and not like Mia eating horrible things in a swamp to feed a demon child.. I loved that bit. I was actually a bit disappointed that she didn't eat a child or something, but I guess it would have messed things up too much.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    I especially don't get how you can be a King fan and not like Mia eating horrible things in a swamp to feed a demon child.. I loved that bit. I was actually a bit disappointed that she didn't eat a child or something
    my feelings exactly

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John F. Kennedy grobblewobble will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Innocent

By the way, I didn't regard the population of the Calla as cowards at all. What choice did they really have? They had no more than sticks and stones to fight against an enemy with modern weaponry. If they somehow would manage the courage to rebel against the wolves, as they had in the past, the result would inevitably be that their children would still be taken and roont, but in addition many more people would be killed.

And when the gunslingers arrived, you have to keep in mind that the population didn't even know for sure that they were actually gunslingers and could be trusted, nor could they have known that the fight would go so well. With only a little bad luck, the fight could have turned into a total disaster. Imagine that the wolves would have discovered the trap and fried all the gunslingers and farmers wives at the moment they had the chance. At least half the population of the Calla would most likely have been killed and all the children might have been taken. Who are we to decide whether such a terrible risk was worth it?

Also, it is likely that the wolves will at some point return to take revenge on the calla, and by then the gunslingers will have moved on. This is a part that falls outside of the scope of the book, but not to be forgotten. They have won a battle but not the war.

The gunslingers often did think of them as cowards, but taking their perspective is a little too easy. You have to be slightly mad to be a gunslinger.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    By the way, I didn't regard the population of the Calla as cowards at all.
    I didn't feel that folks of the Calla were cowards either. They were dealt a tough hand and in my opinion it's difficult to judge how many years of oppression will affect an enclosed community. The decisions they made, while to many of us may seem cowardly, were born from fear of Thunderclap which to them had become a "required" bit of nastiness.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3