Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The Long Walk - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

John F. Kennedy greenhorn1 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

The long walk is one of my favorite King stories and I've read it tons of times but the only thing that bothers me about it is the 4 mile per hour speed that they can't drop below. 4 miles per hour is a VERY fast walking pace. Like speed walking pace almost. It just doesn't seem to match up with the descriptions in the book.

Other than that....I love it!

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought the same thing while reading this. There is no way I could walk that far at that speed. I would probably have gladly stopped for.......

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally re-reading this after 15 years and it is amazing. I'm about 15 pages from the ending and loving every line. It is funny how the control by authority and the reaction to it repeats itself generation after generation and how perfectly King captured that underlying emotion that most feel.

I'm not that good at expressing my thoughts so sorry... I tried.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by greenhorn1 View Post
    The long walk is one of my favorite King stories and I've read it tons of times but the only thing that bothers me about it is the 4 mile per hour speed that they can't drop below. 4 miles per hour is a VERY fast walking pace. Like speed walking pace almost. It just doesn't seem to match up with the descriptions in the book.

Other than that....I love it!
    That is a fast speed for me as a 6'3" man. Never mind for a child.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I always wondered about that speed as well. I'm doing a slow jog at 4 mph...
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Just finished the long walk for the first time. I thought it was fantastic - although like others have expressed 4 mph is pretty fast.

I thought stebbins could have been written a little better and it would have been interesting to see how the major took the news. I thought his death was a little weak as well.

Overall though, great story.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I also just finished the book for the first time. Reading the comments here has really helped clarify the ending for me. I thought it was a great book but was a little lost at the end. The possible outcomes discussed here make sense. Sometimes you just have to trust the author and give yourself over to the story. I think this is the sort of book where you would benefit from a re-read. Great story and well executed.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I read this book not a long time ago and I have no idea how I could exist without it. A perfect read. I was afraid of the ending. I knew they all had to die, there was no way out, so I wasn't afraid of that. I was afraid the end would be corny or banal despite the greatness of the story. But the ending couldn't be better. It seems to be open... but if we dare to face the reality we all know what the end is.

Roland would have understood.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well said Letti. It's one of my favorite endings to any of his books, and one of my favorite stories.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

A few days ago, a fellow worker asked me "What is the most frightening story that you have read by S.K.?"
    I had no hesitation in answering, "The Long Walk!".

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I read this book not a long time ago and I have no idea how I could exist without it. A perfect read. I was afraid of the ending. I knew they all had to die, there was no way out, so I wasn't afraid of that. I was afraid the end would be corny or banal despite the greatness of the story. But the ending couldn't be better. It seems to be open... but if we dare to face the reality we all know what the end is.
    Oh... Hi Angel!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I just read this for the first time. I really enjoyed it. I love how King is able to keep you captivated with what seems like something unexciting. They are just walking!

Really loved the internal dialogue and was fascinated by the popularity of the long walk. This book predates the hunger games by about 30 years but sort of follows the same premise.

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

One of two or three stories that I read once every year. For years I felt kinda hosed by the ending, but as I have gotten older I have come to appreciate the.... ambiguity?.... If I am in a good mood when reading it, Ray survives. If it has been a bad day, then I accept the alternative.

I have often thought that Frank Darabount could do an amazing movie of this. Black and white, minimal casting using relatively unknown actors. Just tell the story. I think it could be very powerful. It would of course need to be filmed on location here in Maine.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

This is one of my favorite King titles. I am a high school English teacher and each spring in my junior honors class the kids form book clubs. The Long Walk seems to get picked at least every other year. For a month of so the kids blog with each other on kidblog.org as they read the novel. I love reading their entries each year. It's exhilarating to see young readers enjoying King so much, many for whom are reading him for the first time. I have hooked so many King readers over the years. And yes, I too long for a Darabount version of King's novel.

Traveler Constant-Reader will become famous soon enough Constant-Reader's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I feel each character in the long walk could have been someone I became in the story. I could really relate or at least understand where each character was coming from. Brilliant book.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Constant-Reader View Post
    I feel each character in the long walk could have been someone I became in the story.
    You mean you have a shoe deal?? (See, because it is the Long Walk... shoes...awww N/M.)

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Constant-Reader View Post
    I feel each character in the long walk could have been someone I became in the story.
    You mean you have a shoe deal?? (See, because it is the Long Walk... shoes...awww N/M.)

This year's Long Walk is brought to you by ADIDAS!!!

Remember Long Walker's, Avoid Dying In Despair, Agony, and Suffering with ADIDAS shoes!!

Sad thing is, I could see it happening......
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Traveler Machine's Way will become famous soon enough Machine's Way will become famous soon enough Machine's Way's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One of my absolute favorite King stories. I mirror alot of the above comments about this story. Like many King to screen movies that have failed I think this particular story done properly would translate very well to the big screen. With the popularity of pre-teen and teen post apocalyptic movies these days, now would be the time to make it. It should be rated R, and DO NOT change the ending. Also I seen a poster above that mentioned that it predates the hunger games by 30 years, of course thats true but if you want to see the movie that the Hunger games truly ripped off check out "Battle Royal".
    Anyways, loved this story and it is one I will always re-read and recommend to others.

As for what I would bring on my long walk.
    I would say energy drinks, but I guess that would have to be substituted with something much more lightweight such as that energy gum or some sort of pill that keeps you up. (I hate drugs but this might be a situation where some sort of thing like that could be helpful)
    Very lightweight running shoes, and socks of course.
    Loaded ipod with an extended battery.
    I would also attempt to bring a gun. (just in case)
    Small snacks that give extended energy, like peanut butter
    None of these are great new ideas of things to bring, but I think you dont need much more than your STAMINA. Id definitely bring that. And the expectation that if I am going to win aka LIVE everyone else has to die.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm thinking a walking stick would be in order.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's the link to The Losers Club podcast discussion of the book:

https://consequenceofsound.net/podca...the-long-walk/

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Listened to this one a few months ago after we did our own bookclub on it. They have some great discussions on these.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4