Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: If you HAD to choose, which would you pick?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original Gunslinger

73 51.77%
  • Revised Gunslinger

68 48.23%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Original or Revised, if you HAD to choose

Gunslinger Apprentice Chassit is on a distinguished road Chassit's Avatar

I have never read the revised edition...

XIX
    "See the TURTLE of enormous girth,
    On his shell he holds the earth.
    If you want to run and play,
    Come along the BEAM today."

NFA JJG 42-95

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Original for me. I first read the stories when they came out in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction and liked them a lot then. I think that influenced my decision.

John

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    The original will always have my heart. King has talked of revising all the books but I'm not sure I want that to happen and I can't view these as improvements for the most part.
    With the exception of the last half of Book 7, I'd agree.

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My opinion, the easy version:
    The revised version sucks balls.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    LOL

Roland would have understood.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

why you say?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    why you say?
    Let me translate for you...Matt likes to suck balls so he means the Revised Version is the best one. For him anything that "sucks balls" is great. See? Glad to help so don't feel a need to thank me.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good one, CK!

Grrr, I was hoping that when I came to check back in on this thread, the Revised would be winning.
    I have a feeling though, after some time, they will be pretty much dead even.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i don't get how the revised version has gotten ten votes so far. the changes are icky

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a feeling though, after some time, they will be pretty much dead even.
    Sorry, but as an English major, I hate, hate, hate it when people publish something and then say "Oh, but I couldn't do it the way I wanted, here's what I want".

Then don't publish it.

Yeah, yeah, I know, the kids need food and all, but still...you wrote it, stand by it.

I write stuff for my own personal enjoyment, and I edit it frequently. But if it ever got to print?

It's done, baby.

Part of the attraction for the original of The Gunslinger is that, over the course of the series, we can see the growth of the author as well as the characters. They grew together. To go back and "fix" it is wrong, IMHO, and yes, I've read both. Although I'll admit the revised is more SK as he is now, there is a certain pleasure in seeing his evolution as a writer through the series. And, you can see that clearly, especially between The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three. Personally, I like watching a writer evolve, maybe because I write a lot myself, and have seen my stuff get better with age (although I doubt any big publisher is going to call me LOL).

YMMV.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Sorry, but as an English major, I hate, hate, hate it when people publish something and then say "Oh, but I couldn't do it the way I wanted, here's what I want"
    That's why I have been unable to bring myself to reading the Revised yet.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I don't think King was saying "Oh I couldn't do it the way I wanted" more like "I look back and realize that the way I had written it wasn't how I want it now" and I don't feel there is anything wrong with him going back and changing it to how he feels it should be. Plus it flows better with the rest of the series now, in my not so humble opinion.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    why you say?
    Let me translate for you...Matt likes to suck balls so he means the Revised Version is the best one. For him anything that "sucks balls" is great. See? Glad to help so don't feel a need to thank me.
    Matthew, lest we forget it wasn't ME who leaked photos of himself getting teabagged by everybody in his town.

The Revised edition was awful--it lost the original feel, added in Calla speak, and tried to retcon way too much.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. It just wasn't the same book. I still have to stand by my original statement. It's published, it's done. You have to let it go sometime.

I read them both back-to-back when I started my reread of the series (first time I've read the revised), and after rereading the original, the revised just didn't do it for me. At all. It seems really contrived to me.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Same feelings here, Dag. I read the original then the revised over the winter in Seattle.

Except that a whole bunch of folk who have become Towerjunkies since the revision have read nothing but the revision, so saying that once it's published "its done" isn't true. Artists have first drafts of things and King has said before that he looks at the Dark Tower series as it is now as a first draft and plans to revise the other books also.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Personally, if I had never read any of the DT books and found the revised first, my obsessive-compulsive self would have had to find the original to read before I could read the revised. That's just how I am.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure there have been many times in everyone's life where we say to ourselves: "Damn, I wish I could do that over" or "Damn, I could do that so much better." I agree with CK. I understand it's a matter of personal preference and all but I see nothing wrong with having a revised addition or with an author changing things.

I disagree with Monte, I think that CK character is off his fucking rocker and needs to shut the hell up.

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that CK...I just don't know about him.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

The entire series as a first draft is interesting, but scares me. I'm afraid the entire series will be this retconned thing like Book I, re. 1 is.

Matthew, lest we forget it wasn't ME who leaked photos of himself getting teabagged by everybody in his town.
    One drunken night with a camera and I can never live it down!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast