Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: If you HAD to choose, which would you pick?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original Gunslinger

73 51.77%
  • Revised Gunslinger

68 48.23%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Original or Revised, if you HAD to choose

Gunslinger Apprentice Jack Mort will become famous soon enough Jack Mort will become famous soon enough Jack Mort's Avatar

My Mood
    Bashful
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't know if people are still talking here, but I have to go with the original. Here's why: When King wrote the original, all of the inconsistencies (internally, never mind the later books) of style shone through and made the book fascinating to read. The oddly poetic first person observations that Roland makes; the random switching of POV throughout; the extremely erratic allusions to Keystone Earth, the list goes on and on. The parts of Gunslinger that King leaves out are sometimes indications that King himself isn't sure where the story is going. It is like a homologous relationship between the writing and the reception of the book - we're discovering it together.

Not talking about nostalgia for my own experience of reading, necessarily. I suppose I mean that parts of The Gunslinger point to someone writing at a less mature stage, perhaps, but also to someone not nearly as shackled to specific a style. A King who (as he himself has said over and over again) hadn't yet experienced everything. King's passionate homage to several genres is part of the poetic style of the book, and that style is what I responded to as a young reader. These matters of style, even unintentionally inconsistent ones, are always more interesting to me... they give me more room to "insert" myself imaginatively into the story as a reader.... Does this make sense? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Jack Mort; 07-29-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: misspelling

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Precisely. I've never loved The Gunslinger, and I don't think I ever will - but I agree that it was a worthy effort. It's full of this noble madness, insights and visions of a young author who just wants to write what he wants (feels, sees, knows) without giving a fuck about how it could be perceived by readers, critics, editors, whoever. It stands alone in King's body of work, and in the whole world's literature - not because it is very good, but because it is unique. I like to think of it (yes, I know I've said this before) as a blank verse poem, an overdrawn epigraph - mirrored by Browning's poem that ends the saga; this way I can at least come to terms with it; moreover, then it perfectly fits the rest, without any ad hoc alterations. I really really wish he hadn't attmepted at making it more palatable.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I like them both. I would have never wanted King to revise the book, but since he did, I was at least interested in seeing how he felt it could be improved-made more consistent with subsequent books in the series. I still like the original, although I must admit that the first time I tried to read it (1983), I found parts of it obtuse and indecipherable.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I like them both. I would have never wanted King to revise the book, but since he did, I was at least interested in seeing how he felt it could be improved-made more consistent with subsequent books in the series. I still like the original, although I must admit that the first time I tried to read it (1983), I found parts of it obtuse and indecipherable.
    as far as liking is concerned I think I might like the revised more than the original. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet; but I hope I will soon.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Jack Mort will become famous soon enough Jack Mort will become famous soon enough Jack Mort's Avatar

My Mood
    Bashful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Precisely. I've never loved The Gunslinger, and I don't think I ever will - but I agree that it was a worthy effort. It's full of this noble madness, insights and visions of a young author who just wants to write what he wants (feels, sees, knows) without giving a fuck about how it could be perceived by readers, critics, editors, whoever. It stands alone in King's body of work, and in the whole world's literature - not because it is very good, but because it is unique. I like to think of it (yes, I know I've said this before) as a blank verse poem, an overdrawn epigraph - mirrored by Browning's poem that ends the saga; this way I can at least come to terms with it; moreover, then it perfectly fits the rest, without any ad hoc alterations. I really really wish he hadn't attmepted at making it more palatable.
    Yes, Jean. You said it far, far better than I had. There is a certain energy to it, no?
    Nick

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The original is perfection to me. The revised is watered down, imo.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Traveler BobbyOodle is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I prefer the original, only because it makes Roland out to be more of a hardass, emotionless prick than it does in the revised edition.
    Also, just a side-note, since the Gunslinger was originally a series of publications in a magazine, and was just thrown together for the book, each section feelings longer and more spread out than it was.
    I liked this because some may see it as a short start to an epic series, but in reality, with the gaps and how slow the read was, it truly set up for the rest of the series, and feels longer than the 300ish pages it was.

Spoiler:
    I just liked it better that Roland killed Allie (or is it Alice? My memory is failing me) out of pure instinct and didn't care about her being held hostage or her pleas to save her. it made Roland seem cold. But in the revised edition, King added in more intervention of the man in black and Allie and Roland killed her out of pity, and wanting her to be put out of her misery. I like saving Roland's emotional development for later.

Gunslinger Apprentice Nick Stefanos will become famous soon enough Nick Stefanos's Avatar

My Mood
    Drunk
    Country
    Country Flag

The original. I've lost count of how many times I read that (too many when the first two were all there was of the series). I only read the revised once. The original works for me just fine without the retroactive changes, especially with the language.

Traveler Jamie Vultrille will become famous soon enough Jamie Vultrille's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the Revised and I think it was a logical step to smooth out the transition into the next books, but if I had to choose...the original, hands down. It was more dreamlike and surreal, like a postapocalyptic sci-fi/western version of Eraserhead after smoking (or chewing) devil grass or a serving of stew laced with generous amounts of acid.

Traveler Jamie Vultrille will become famous soon enough Jamie Vultrille's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyOodle View Post
    I prefer the original, only because it makes Roland out to be more of a hardass, emotionless prick than it does in the revised edition.
    Also, just a side-note, since the Gunslinger was originally a series of publications in a magazine, and was just thrown together for the book, each section feelings longer and more spread out than it was.
    I liked this because some may see it as a short start to an epic series, but in reality, with the gaps and how slow the read was, it truly set up for the rest of the series, and feels longer than the 300ish pages it was.

Spoiler:
    I just liked it better that Roland killed Allie (or is it Alice? My memory is failing me) out of pure instinct and didn't care about her being held hostage or her pleas to save her. it made Roland seem cold. But in the revised edition, King added in more intervention of the man in black and Allie and Roland killed her out of pity, and wanting her to be put out of her misery. I like saving Roland's emotional development for later.
    I agree. The original had a much more obtuse and amoral context on Roland's shooting of Allie. Remember, she was Sheb's "shield and sacrifice", and I think it meant that he was counting on Roland hesitating for even just a little (against an onrushing psychotic mob, even one armed with essentially only melee weapons, a second's hesitation could turn into a fatal misstep in close quarters) because he had come to know Allie in more ways than one during his short time in Tull...but guess what, Roland reacted instantaneously, just like that. It also says a lot about the depth of training Roland had from childhood. He was the last of his kind, the last of a world and a civilization the people of Tull could not even imagine, and yet they were trying to kill him. Could he somehow pacify and awe them into submission by expounding on long-gone virtues and sights and principles that only he remembers now? Could he make them see and feel the weight of his lineage and the long legacy behind his guns? No. So he lets his hands speak, since they're the most eloquent body parts he has anyway, at least in that situation.

In short, how do you prove to your enemies that you're better? According to Roland in the original, you kill them all and be the last man standing. Amoral to the core.

Gunslinger Apprentice Xerrand will become famous soon enough Xerrand's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

They are
    Spoiler:
    both pretty good, and there isn't that many differences but I Voted original. I didn't like the whole "19 and go insane" thing that was in the newer edition. Also I could be wrong here(I have a copy of the original in this house somewhere but it could be anywhere...) but wasn't there a part at the end of the original copy during the palaver with Walter that Roland realises he'll have to go and do the whole journey over and over again, and he quickly shy's away from it? It's been a few years but I seem to remember that.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xerrand View Post
    I didn't like the whole "19 and go insane" thing that was in the newer edition.
    I didn't really care for that either. I'm sure that, had I read the revised version first, all the foreshadowing wouldn't have bothered me. But, it just felt like too much.

Also I could be wrong here(I have a copy of the original in this house somewhere but it could be anywhere...) but wasn't there a part at the end of the original copy during the palaver with Walter that Roland realises he'll have to go and do the whole journey over and over again, and he quickly shy's away from it? It's been a few years but I seem to remember that.
    I can't say I remember that, but now you've made me want to go back and re-read the palaver portion to see if it does touch on that.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Also,

do not click unless you've finished the Dark Tower series
    Spoiler:
    maybe we should use spoiler tags around anything that mentions Roland having to repeat the loop just in case someone visits this thread without having finished the series yet.
    One can never be too careful.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wait.....

Spoiler:
    OMG!!! Roland is in a loop????? Holy crap!!!

Very good point, Girlystevedave
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Hey, I like to think worst case scenario about stuff. I would hate to be the person who accidentally spoiled the series for someone.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Hey, I like to think worst case scenario about stuff. I would hate to be the person who accidentally spoiled the series for someone.

I agree. I was just adding in an element of humor to soften it up for the new guys and perhaps encourage an "edit".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

I gotcha.

Gunslinger Apprentice Xerrand will become famous soon enough Xerrand's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just edited that, apologies! I assumed that anybody reading on here would have finished DT, but that was a pretty narrow and silly assumption I got ahead of myself!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just edited that, apologies! I assumed that anybody reading on here would have finished DT, but that was a pretty narrow and silly assumption I got ahead of myself!
    No problem. As a rule, the thread title will usually let you know to "spoilerize" or not. Otherwise, when in doubt, use spoiler tags to be safe. No harm, no foul and very glad to have you on the site, my friend!!! It's always great, IMO when new comers visit old threads and revitalize the discussions. Good stuff!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am all for updates that smooth out the series however I feel like the updates in the revised version actually hurt the flow more than help it. Exposing Walter and Martin to be the same person at the end of that book only makes it way more confusing when Roland obviously refers to them as separate people in the next few books. I would rather it be left alone and have that fact exposed to Roland later. In order to make that reveal work at that time the other books needs to be updated as well and I really don't want that to happen.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
    I am all for updates that smooth out the series however I feel like the updates in the revised version actually hurt the flow more than help it. Exposing Walter and Martin to be the same person at the end of that book only makes it way more confusing when Roland obviously refers to them as separate people in the next few books. I would rather it be left alone and have that fact exposed to Roland later. In order to make that reveal work at that time the other books needs to be updated as well and I really don't want that to happen.
    Very good point. I happen to think that despite a couple of mis-steps, the "revised edition" better fleshes out the overall story in the end, but to each his own, right? A case can be made either way and would be valid. I personally think that, King revised it for future generations that had never read the original, which would negate some of the incongruities. In other words, he did it to calm his own mind on the story.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

No, you're probably right. I just over-analyze my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
    I am all for updates that smooth out the series however I feel like the updates in the revised version actually hurt the flow more than help it.
    I agree. It somehow gave it a somewhat "choppy" feel to the story.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

original for collecting, revised for reading. after reading the original of course

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    original for collecting, revised for reading. after reading the original of course
    Exactly!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The issue with Walter became apparent to me recently as a friend of mine is reading through the series for the first time and when they got to Drawing of the Three they got extremely confused by Martin and Walter being referred to as different people. Since it's not necessary for Roland to have that information in the first book it seemed like a needless revision that really only helps repeat readers not first time readers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast