Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Wastelands Q&A *spoilers

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Wastelands Q&A *spoilers

Ah, my favorite book of the series. This is where the Ka-tet becomes a ka-tet and they find the path of the beam. So much good stuff happens all around in this fast paced book of wonders.

(oh and fuck gretta shaw )

Who is your favorite minor character?

Name three memorable moments?

Was there a shocking moment for you in this book?

Best villain in the Wastlands?

The ka-tet comes together and works together. What was the best part of the new found team work?

Eddie and Susannah in Lud or Jake and Gasher running underground?

Roland teaching Susannah how to shoot or Roland teaching Eddie how to shoot at the portal?

Most touching moment?

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Aunt Talitha

Roland kneeling to aunt Talitha
    Eddie forgetting his acrophobia on the bridge
    Detta coming to Susannah's help with prime numbahs

three? I could name three hundred. I have named those which I believe to be my personal favorites, but there are also lots of those which I believe to be everybody's favorites -

The teacher's analysis of Jake's essay
    Jake saying to Calvin and Deepneau (about school), "This way lies madness"
    Jake talking to Eddie in his dream
    The demons in drums
    Jake opening those doors

(That last is, in fact, one of the very important things for me in the whole saga, but it's rather a concept than a moment, if you see what I mean)

etc, etc, etc. I would venture to say that this book is more abundant in "moments" than any other of the volumes, with the possible exception of Wolves.

"You won't let me drop this time?"
    "No," Roland said. "Not this time, not ever again." But in the deepest darkness of his heart, he thought of the Tower and wondered.

I don't really know how I survived that. It was such a giant stone on my heart till I at last have read the last volume and knew - well, you know.

Blaine

The ka-tet comes together and works together. What was the best part of the new found team work?

That Roland wasn't alone any longer and was slowly but steadily awakening to human feelings and understanding things he had never thought of (see the riddle part).

Eddie and Susannah in Lud!!!!!!!!! beyond compare. That's one of my favorite parts ever.

Roland teaching Susannah how to shoot or Roland teaching Eddie how to shoot at the portal?

Susannah.

Most touching moment?

River Crossing

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Elmer Chambers

Bear thing
    Key thing
    Train thing

Yeah, the whole Gasher BS, and not shocking in a good way.

Tick-Tock Man

That they actually did stuff instead of sitting around talking about how they feel about things like Jake's teachers would have him do.

anything BUT Gasher. Worst part of the whole series.

Didn't care about either scene, but I will say that the whole "pretend the targets are people you hate" thing was cliche and sucked badly.

Most touching moment?
    Me touching the book to mercifully put it back on my shelf after I finally finished it, although "finish" is not the way to describe how this book ended.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Interesting that there isn't a "What bugs you about this book" question in your list, Sarah, like there was for the previous two. Don't forget to add a question like that folks if you want.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Aunt Talitha

the ka-tet crossing the bridge
    Riding Blaine and asking of the riddles
    Detta helping Susannah with the prime numbers

Where jake asked Roland not to let him drop him again and Roland replys, not ever again

I am torn between Blaine and the tick tock man

For me, the palavers

I cannot pick just one of these. I very much enjoyed both

Roland teaching Susannah how to shoot or Roland teaching Eddie how to shoot at the portal
    Susannah

Most touching moment?
    I have to go with Jean here, River Crossing

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Alright M/S what about this book bugged you, if there was anything?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry matthew, nothing in this particular book bugged me

Don't feel the need to apologize.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    Tick-Tock Man
    I agree. I liked him alot more than Blain.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Aunt Talitha. I enjoy any glimpse into Roland's world as it was and River Crossing is along these lines.

1. Jake's drawing. Seeing how Roland, Eddie and Susannah each did their parts to draw Jake into Mid-World is one of the most memorable moments of the entire series.

2. Eddie & Susannah in Lud. If ever there was an example of what was meant by "the world has moved on" it was the people of Lud. They were terrible and fascinating and Eddie & Susannah's adventure with them stands out every time I read this book.

3. Blaine. I always think back to the time before W&G was published. Blaine was the ultimate cliffhanger for me. As a Tolkien fan, I appreciated a riddling game being used to fight Blaine. To this day my wife and I refer to a cliffhanger ending to anything as "riding Blaine"

Lud wasn't exactly "shocking" but it was bleak. It's not too difficult to see how easily any society can lapse into collective madness.

Blaine. Blaine is one of the best villains in the series, and that's the truth.

That there was teamwork at all. They were all starting to understand their individual roles in the greater shared role of the Tet.

Eddie and Susannah for the reasons I've already stated above.

Eddie. To me this one showed the lengths to which Roland is prepared to go to get what he wants out of people.

Most touching moment?
    Roland and Jake's reunion. If that doesn't make you tear up, you were made by North Central Positronics and I will shoot you in your radar dish. [/quote]

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Interesting that there isn't a "What bugs you about this book" question in your list, Sarah, like there was for the previous two.
    If there had been, I'd have had like 50 answers. Maybe that's why it wasn't in there.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Probably Gasher. I just get a kick out of him chasing Jake down into the belly of the city.

I also have to say Calvin Tower.

The Drawing of Jake is one of my all time favorite moments of the series. The four of them working together but separately for the sake of the boy.
    Jake finding the rose

Eddie and Jake working together in the dream.

also, Jake and Oy finding eachother.

Blaine. I didn't see him coming.

The Gasher/Tick-Tock Man combo. They really put a thorn in the Tets side

Working together to pull Jake through and working together to get out of Lud. Eventhough they were separate, they worked together as one.

I know that Eddie and Susannah in Lud is some good stuff but Gasher chasing Jake underground was so descriptive and wonderful that I felt like I was there. The first time I read it I bit off all my nails.

Eddie and Roland at the portal.

Most touching moment?

Jake and Roland reunited.

and Jake saving Oy's life on the bridge.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gasher...but I'm glad he's dead.

Can I name more than three?

Serious moments:

1. Jake coming through the door.

2. The drums. Wondering what they could be.

3. When Blaine made the walls vanish while riding.

Comical Moments:

1. Eddie calling their dinner "Gunslinger burritos".

2. Eddie's sarcastic comments during the riddling.

3. Roland dropping the F-bomb to Blaine.

Like Jean said, the moment where Roland said he wouldn’t let Jake fall was shocking for me too:

"You won't let me drop this time?"

"No," Roland said. "Not this time, not ever again." But in the deepest darkness of his heart, he thought of the Tower and wondered.

After I read that part I remember thinking, you better not let him fall again!

Another shocking moment was when Roland dropped the F-bomb when talking to Blaine. Once he said that, my jaw dropped.

I would say Blaine because he's equally annoying as he is an ass. Now that's multi-tasking!

Working together to get Jake through the door.

Jake and Gasher running underground.

Roland teaching Eddie to shoot.

Most touching moment?

There weren't any parts in the book that "touched" me but if I had to choose one, I guess it would be when Jake meets Roland after coming through the door.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Greta Shaw

• When Jake thinks of showing Greta Shaw his school papers.
    • When Greta Shaw waves goodbye to Jake without looking up from her newspaper.
    • When Greta Shaw brings Jake the two sandwiches, pie, and chocolate milk.

When Greta Shaw failed to cross over with Jake.

Greta Shaw.

That the tet helped to fill the gap caused by the loss of Greta Shaw in Jake's life.

Greta Shaw reading the newspaper. With her morning coffee.

Greta Shaw making onion sandwiches.

Most touching moment?
    When Greta Shaw brings Jake the two sandwiches, pie, and chocolate milk.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Gah! I kid, I kid! Here are my serious answers:

Calvin Tower. It was a disappointment to see him in the later parts of the series.

• Roland teaching Eddie to shoot
    • Jake’s “French Leave”
    • Dinner at River Crossing

Not really.

Blaine

The final bringing together of the tet and pulling Jake into Roland’s world.

Eddie and Susannah

Roland and Eddie

Most touching moment?
    When Oy works with Roland to locate Jake.
    Last edited by Woofer; 07-05-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Better delineation between humorous and serious answers.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post

Gasher because he is pretty damned funny. Especially listening to Frank Muller do his voice.

1. Pulling Jake through the doorway.
    2. The teachings of Susannah and Eddie by Roland.
    3. River Crossing and have the rest of the ka-tet see Roland how he was before the world drastically moved on.

I don't think so. I loved this book, it is one of my favorites and I don't remember being shocked....just awed in general.

Gasher, for the above reasons.

Speaking Ring/doorway and saving Jake from PlasterMan.

Tough. Gasher is damned funny and those scenes made me love to hate him..the way he treated Jake. However, Eddie and Susannah were great in their "first" contact with strangers as Gunslingers.

Another toughie...but I say Roland teaching Susannah because Roland brought out his "evil" side to do it.

Most touching moment?
    Probably Jake and Roland reunited.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Another shocking moment was when Roland dropped the F-bomb when talking to Blaine. Once he said that, my jaw dropped.
    ah, that! that's my favorite moment ever - and the whole Roland monologue - that and the scene that followed! I didn't mention it in my post among the three favorable moments because due to some flaw in my perception I can never place the whole Blaine episode in either Waste Lands or W&G... which is the idiotic reason why I never mention this brilliant scene whenever a specific volume is discussed

::stupid bear::

"I cannot call you a sucker of cocks, for instance, because you have no mouth and no cock. I cannot say you are viler than the vilest beggar who ever crawled the gutters of the lowest street in creation, because even such a creature is better than you; you have no knees on which to crawl, and would not fall upon them even if you did, for you have no conception of such a human flaw as mercy.
    I cannot even say you fucked your mother, because you had none."

oh man, what can be better than that!

well, maybe only this:

"I COMMAND YOU TO STOP IT OR I'LL KILL YOU ALL RIGHT HERE!"
    Roland's eyes blazed with such wild blue fire that Eddie shrank away from him. Dimly, he heard Jake and Susannah gasp.
    "Kill if you will, but command me nothing!" the gunslinger roared.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    "I cannot call you a sucker of cocks, for instance, because you have no mouth and no cock. I cannot say you are viler than the vilest beggar who ever crawled the gutters of the lowest street in creation, because even such a creature is better than you; you have no knees on which to crawl, and would not fall upon them even if you did, for you have no conception of such a human flaw as mercy.
    one of the best moments, if not the best moment of the whole Blaine sequence. roland has boundless contempt for his enemies and it's great to hear it expressed so magnificently.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What can be better than that? Nothing compares.

I had no idea that Roland had it in him. That was definitely unexpected. I was like, Go Roland!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Interesting that there isn't a "What bugs you about this book" question in your list, Sarah, like there was for the previous two.
    If there had been, I'd have had like 50 answers. Maybe that's why it wasn't in there.

Put your own question in there and post your 50 answers. I know Sarah thinks this is the book of all books but you won't let her get away with it Spencer!

(Personal note, I love them all so nothing bugs me about any of them)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    ah, that! that's my favorite moment ever - and the whole Roland monologue - that and the scene that followed! I didn't mention it in my post among the three favorable moments because due to some flaw in my perception I can never place the whole Blaine episode in either Waste Lands or W&G... which is the idiotic reason why I never mention this brilliant scene whenever a specific volume is discussed

::stupid bear::

well, maybe only this:

"I COMMAND YOU TO STOP IT OR I'LL KILL YOU ALL RIGHT HERE!"
    Roland's eyes blazed with such wild blue fire that Eddie shrank away from him. Dimly, he heard Jake and Susannah gasp.
    "Kill if you will, but command me nothing!" the gunslinger roared.
    Oh man, I did not think about those either. That was so great. I loved it

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Tick-Tock Man

Drawing Jake
    Finding Oy
    Encounter with Shardik

Jake asking Roland if he'll let him drop again

Blaine.

Drawing Jake

Eddie & Susannah

Roland and Eddie

Most touching moment?

Roland reuniting with Jake.

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

Gasher. I could hear him talking.

The intensity of the scene while Jake was being drawn.
    Jake's absolute lack of hesitation to save Oy on the bridge.
    Roland's showdown with Blaine.

Not really.

GASHER!!!

Drawing Jake, hands-down.

Gasher and Jake.

Hmmm. I don't have a preference of these.

Most touching moment?
    Roland and Jake meeting after they pull him into Roland's world.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Greta Shaw

• When Jake thinks of showing Greta Shaw his school papers.
    • When Greta Shaw waves goodbye to Jake without looking up from her newspaper.
    • When Greta Shaw brings Jake the two sandwiches, pie, and chocolate milk.

When Greta Shaw failed to cross over with Jake.

Greta Shaw.

That the tet helped to fill the gap caused by the loss of Greta Shaw in Jake's life.

Greta Shaw reading the newspaper. With her morning coffee.

Greta Shaw making onion sandwiches.

Most touching moment?
    When Greta Shaw brings Jake the two sandwiches, pie, and chocolate milk.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

oh man. i just get one? well, contrary to popular belief it's not greta
    i really think aaron deepnau. there was just something about him.

1. jake's essay on the truth. i have it memorized.
    2. jake's entire journey into and out of madness.
    3. jake and roland's reunion (jean has already quoted it in his response and that's good enough for me)

gasher was very shocking for me. i knew something was coming, cause we were told so. but i never expected him to abuse jake that way. he so deserved to die a horrible, horrible death.

but i think the most shocking moment was roland going off on blaine. i just never saw that coming. ever in life.

i think it's a tie between gasher and ticktock.

rescuing jake from new york and from the plaster man.

jake and gasher running underground. this is so connected with oy and roland following in my head. and oy constantly telling roland "ake, ake" and trying to get roland to hurry up. i knew eddie and susannah would be okay, i wasn't sure about jake.

roland teaching eddie. he showed utter trust in eddie and i was so. . . happy? amazed? astounded? touched? thrilled? yes, thrilled. and then when roland shot that bat thing out of the air, wow.

Most touching moment?

definitely jake saving oy on the bridge. oy clapping down on jake's hand with his teeth. jake telling roland it wasn't oy's fault and not to hurt him. poor oy looking so disheartened and upset - and refusing to lick the blood away from his own mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    (oh and fuck gretta shaw )
    oh, woofer? i think someone is calling you dear.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...2&postcount=14

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Greta Shaw

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast