Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Drawing of the Three Q&A *spoilers

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What was your favorite moment of this book?
    Any part that included both Roland and Eddie.

What did you first think Roland was going to do with Eddie?
    I had no idea, thats why it was so enjoyable.

Did you wonder how in the world Stephen King was going to get Detta/Odetta across the desert without any legs?
    No.

Who was your favorite minor character?

Balazar

What surprised you the most about this book?
    Not sure really :/

Besides fighting naked, what was the coolest thing about Eddie?
    Everything about him is cool.

What part bugged you or that you didn't like about this book:
    Enjoyed the whole book.
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    yes... I, too thought it was one of the best... very high on my list of all King books, and rather high on that of all books ever written by anyone...
    as usual, i agree with the bear. Waste Lands is high on my list of all-time fav books by any author. of all the DT books it's prob the one i've re-read the most. for a long time it was the last one and i re-read it over and over again waiting for the day a book 4 would be written.
    I totally understand I'm in the minority on this. I know lots of people who consider The Wastelands their favorite DT book, I'll just never understand why.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

okay, this is just so wrong but i love the lobstrosities. just love them. the description of them tumbling out of the waves. how they talk. everything about them.

i really thought eddie was going to be some kind of sacrifice. after what happened in the gunslinger, how could i not?

Did you wonder how in the world Stephen King was going to get Detta/Odetta across the desert without any legs?
    nope. they had a wheelchair.

odetta's driver andrew. when he says that he heard jfk was the last gunslinger and is so hurt by odetta's response i really felt for him. plus, you could tell how much he cared about her.

it's depth. for a book set in the desert, based around finding doors in that desert, it's surprisingly complex and rich. i was amazed at how quickly it drew me in, how quickly i came to care about the characters, how very badly i wanted to know what was going to happen next. i read it in one sitting.

his mouth. that eddie, he always has a comeback. always. i love that about him.

What part bugged you or that you didn't like about this book?
    that odetta/detta was described as schizophrenic. even back then he should have known the diagnosis "multiple personality disorder". schizophrenia is a totally different disorder. i know it's a petty little thing but it really bothers me.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post

that odetta/detta was described as schizophrenic. even back then he should have known the diagnosis "multiple personality disorder". schizophrenia is a totally different disorder. i know it's a petty little thing but it really bothers me.
    That really bugged me too, a lot actually. I kind of wish she would have been schizo, it would have made things simpler. Eddie could have just gotten some Thorazine and injected her and dragged her down the beach.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

finally, someone else knows wtf i'm talking about. everyone else i've mentioned this to looks at me like "huh? what are you babbling about crazy lady?" have i mentioned that i love you ryan?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    it's depth. for a book set in the desert, based around finding doors in that desert, it's surprisingly complex and rich. i was amazed at how quickly it drew me in, how quickly i came to care about the characters, how very badly i wanted to know what was going to happen next. i read it in one sitting.
    hear, hear!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

Roland in the sky-carriage then using Mort and killing him in the same way that Mort disfigured Susannah.

With the whole monkey on the back imagery from The Gunslinger, I figured he'd be drawn. After that, I wasn't sure and didn't care as long as he stuck around.

Never once.

It's a tossup between Andolini and the stewardess that spotted the difference between Eddie and Roland. I guess it's probably Andolini.

Henry's head being lobbed into the room.

His smartassery and the toughness that is in him. It's a sort of hesitant toughness and I like that.

Not a single thing.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

The gunfight and Andolini getting eaten by the lobstrosities

Sacrifice him for the tower liek he did to Jake

No

Andolini. Every time I think about him, I picture him screaming as he is devoured by the lobstrosities.

That I was able to read this as quickly as I did given the scope of the book.

His wit.

Nothing

Traveler kevo503 is on a distinguished road kevo503's Avatar

My favorite moment is the fight between Roland, Eddie, and Balazar. I thought it was funny that Eddie was naked the whole time.

I wasn't sure what Roland was goint to do with Eddie, you never can tell when Stephen King is writing.

I never really wondered how she would get across the desert, I thought Roland would eventually kill her for being such a bitch.

My favorite minor character was probably Eddie's brother.

I was surprised when Roland lost his fingers on his good hand, I thought it would be the end of his shooting days.

I liked how his character totally did a 180. He wanted to kill Roland at first, but at the end, he wanted to join him in his quest for The Dark Tower.

I didn't (and still don't) like Detta/Odetta/Susannah. I think another male character would have been better than her.

Traveler FlyingHellfish is on a distinguished road FlyingHellfish's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My First Post. Finished TDoT last night.

Gunfight at Balazer's

Draw his aura like Ralph did in Insomnia. I finished Insomnia last month. Insomnia led me to the DT.

I thought King would have Eddie make some sort of stretcher for Odetta

The Lobstrosities

The Eddie/Odetta love story. I didn't see that coming

He's a wise-ass

Great book.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The minor character answer is great!!

I totally agree. Welcome to the path of the beam FlyingHellfish

(wasn't that the name of Grandpa Simpson's old army unit? )

Traveler FlyingHellfish is on a distinguished road FlyingHellfish's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was indeed Grandpa Simpson's Army Unit.

Traveler disintegration is on a distinguished road disintegration's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The part when Roland enters Jack Mort's body and goes in search for ammunition and medicine, and kills Jack Mort.

Recruit him in the journey for the Tower.

I knew he would be able to come up with a solution, though I knew it would be difficult.

Balazar

The whole shootout scene at Balazar's. More specifically Eddie fighting naked and when Henry was decapitated. It was a memorable scene.

How he rebelled against Roland's plans. How all he wanted to do was eat a good meal and get a fix. I thought he was hilarious and messed up, but rightfully so after the shootout at Balazar's.

I thought the whole Odetta backstory chapter was slow and kinda boring, but it picked up after that, but that was my least favorite part of the book and I struggled to get through it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looking at the world through the eyes of someone else. Reminds me of looking in a mirror, the weird sensation you get, uncomfortable.

Didn't have a clue, really. Enjoyed it though. I like how Eddie didn't have a clue that Roland was there. My kind of guy, a rebel without a clue.

Probably at some point, maybe the same point Detta dumped Eddie on his face on the beach.

Dennis and Thomas. Cause I don't have a clue who they are.

Bunch of stuff that happens. Passing from one world to another. Mort. Detta. That moment when Roland says I do want to love.

Even in a tight situation, he can be flippant, doesn't seem to allow most things bother him.

That I can't get a handle on this twins thing I'm wondering about, Roland/Jake, Eddie/Roland, Roland/Walter, Detta/Odetta, waterbags/dopebags...

John F. Kennedy Anastasia is on a distinguished road Anastasia's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When Roland was in Eddie’s body and the way how he behaved and reacted while being in our world in general.

Well, it was almost obvious he would use him somehow. However, at first I really doubted that someone like Eddie would be of any help.

Yes, at first I was a bit surprised by that. However, it didn’t turn into any problem at all.

First, when those sea creatures chopped Roland’s fingers. I was like ‘too early! It’s just the second book, how will he manage to be without them?!’
    That there was only Eddie and Susannah and no third person. I was surprised that Mort was the third and that he obviously wouldn’t be drawn.

All that Detta/Odetta/Susannah thing…especially Detta. She was so annoying and I was waiting when Roland would finally do something about it.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

does all of it count? if i have to i would point to roland entering eddie mind in the plane - sheer genius

Intial thoughts were he would take over eddie's body and take it back to mid world and the beach due to his own being riddled with infection.

i never actually thought about it, at that point i was just going with the flow - thinking about it after i thought it was amazing that Sai king brought this richness and diversity to his story.

The Lobstrosities - got to agree with this. without them the whole DoTT would have been a different story.

that is was so different from the gunslinger, it literally picked me up and swept me along, i dont think i stopped reading at anypoint till i finished

i loved mr dean and everything about him was cool, but to state one point would be his being able to adapt so damn fast - and with a joke on his lips at that

the end, i didn't want it to

Traveler yesterday's_eyes is on a distinguished road yesterday's_eyes's Avatar

Roland in Mort's body.

Umm I really never thought too far ahead. I figured that they would end up going towards the same goal I suppose.

No, I knew he would find a way.

Mort

Roland losing his fingers.

The humor he added.

Detta

Traveler shuabert is on a distinguished road shuabert's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland's culture shock during all the moments where he is possessing someone else's body and the humorous translation between the language of his culture and the language of NYC.

I assumed he would keep him around for the journey to the tower because he had no other choice.

Yes. A bold and interesting choice in writing the character that way.

Mort. The idea of "the pusher" and his motivations were fascinating in a morbid way.

1) That Stephen King was successfully able to write an inter-racial love scene involving a disabled woman without it seeming forced or gimmicky.
    2) That the book opened with Roland losing two of his fingers. I thought for sure it was a dream!

That despite his being a junkie and a weasel he displayed surprising devotion to the people he cared about.

I found the jumping to different time periods while possessing Mort, as well as the final showdown in which Detta/Odetta see each other and become Susanna, to be slightly awkward.

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Top five moments:
    Shoot out at the pharmacy to get the Keflex.
    Roland framing the tool at the pawn shop to get access to ammo for his guns.
    Lobstrosities being turned into dinner but Detta refusing to eat them.
    Roland going nuts for tooderfish sandwiches and Pepsi.
    Detta shoplifting and breaking her ForSpecial plates.

I sort of thought he would stay in Earth Prime and Roland would just use him like a puppet to get stuff done.

Wheelchair.

Henry.

That Jake wasn't the third one "drawn" and actually it was Mort's body that Roland entered last. I was pretty surprised when Roland lost his fingers too.

Crackin' wise.

I did not like how Detta spoke in such a stereotyped manner. The confusion between schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder was bothersome also, and that was a bit sterotyped as well.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    The Drawing of the Three. I couldn't get my hands on this book fast enough. I loved every minute of it. It starts of with my beloved Gunslinger, Roland, losing his fingers on his right fucking hand. I was absolutely shocked and angry with Stephen King for doing that. But I soon got over it, and I was absorbed in The Drawing of the Three.

Roland in the gun shop and how he used the cops to get the ammo.

Use him to get the food/medicine he needed. Didn't expect him to drawn him through the door.

No, she had a wheel chair after all

Balazar. I like mobsters.

It was far more entertaining and action packed than Gunslinger and Roland was more likeable.

His wit and levity.

I did not like the Odetta/Detta stuff. For some reason it just bugs me, and I don't like the whole Detta being a pain in the butt thing, and the honey mo fo's, etc. This last time I listened to it I skipped over that part since I've heard it about 6 times now. Although I do like Susannah's character going forward in the series.

DotT is my 2nd favorite book in the series, behind Wastelands.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2