Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Gunslinger Q&A *spoilers

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

What was your favorite moment in The Gunslinger?
    Tull or the final test. Can't decide.

Who is your favorite minor character in The Gunslinger?
    I think Allie.

What bugged you the most about this book?
    Honestly... *sigh* ...Iamgoingtogetsuchshitforthis... Jake's entrance into the gunslinger's world.
    For the longest time, I wanted the focus of the story to JUST be on the gunslinger's world, no mention of the "real" world at all. I like reading stories that are set in other worlds, I just do.

What surprised you most about this book?
    The gunslinger dropping Jake.

At that moment, would you have let jake drop?
    No. Never.

Which was worse....Traveling in the dark under the mountains or traveling in the heat across the desert?
    Dark mountains. It just felt more eerie to me. I could feel that darkness myself, and I didn't like it.

Traveler FlyingHellfish is on a distinguished road FlyingHellfish's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The final test

Cort

Nothing

That its only 300 pages

At that moment, would you have let Jake drop?
    Yes - I've been hunting/tracking the Man In Black for years, see ya Jake

Which was worse....Traveling in the dark under the mountains or traveling in the heat across the desert?
    Traveling in the dark under the mountains. In the desert you can see what's coming.

Traveler disintegration is on a distinguished road disintegration's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tull
    Brown or Allie
    When Jake died
    The end
    If I knew I could get him back, otherwise I don't think I could
    Which was worse....Traveling in the dark under the mountains or traveling in the heat across the desert? Under the mountains.

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Probably when Roland and Jake are trying to get away from the Slow Mutants.

Brown. Your dinner's ready. Your mule passed away. Just some poor fool out there in the desert, growing corn. And his pet, Zoltan.

I had trouble understanding the placement of Walter's speech, or the need for it, for that matter. I'm reading original for the first time. Maybe I'll see that in a new light.

I think the style of writing, simple, concise, to the point. Nothing extra, no more, no less.

How can I answer that honestly? I dunno, if I had, I think I would have followed him. Tough call. Can I hang onto him and still go on? Turned out okay, didn't it?

In the dark. All that unknown. Course, when I was out west a few years back, all that big open, there was all that unknown out there. Wanted to stop the car and climb the nearest hill, like maybe there was a party going on just over the rise, and I was missin' out.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Palaver in the Golgotha

Allie.

there were a few places i missed things, and I'd find a reference to it, and was thinking WTF?!
    Seriously, the first time i read it, i had no clue why the people of Tull attacked Roland. i didn't know that Allie died.

that it was awesome. I heard about the series from a friend who said it sucked.

possibly. I didn't like The Gunslinger's Jake.

Hot desert. I hate the heat.

Vagrant Dead pickle is on a distinguished road pickle's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Rolland fighting in Tull

Zoltan and his owner

Not a real lot of action

That i eventualy liked it, it took me 3 trys over the years to read it

Nope

Under the mountains, i dont like the dark.
    ... From the keyboard of Kevin

"A gunslinger knows pride - that invisible bone that keeps the neck stiff."

"Officer Benzyck! It's good to see you and there's some jam right there on your collar, praise God!"- Rev. Earl Harrigan

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pickle View Post
    That i eventualy liked it, it took me 3 trys over the years to read it
    Wow, and why did you try it again and again? What was the thing that didn't let you close it forever?

Roland would have understood.

Vagrant Dead pickle is on a distinguished road pickle's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Originaly i tried to read the book, but only got 1/4 of the way through it then left it alone for a few years. I then went on to read the DoT3, missing out the Gunslinger all together. The problem i had was that after i read that book, i felt that something was missing, there was parts i didnt understand. So i left the series compleatly for a few more years.

The about 6 weeks ago i picked up the series again and started from the begining and absolutly loved it. Im now about to start book 7 and cant wait to see how it ends.
    ... From the keyboard of Kevin

"A gunslinger knows pride - that invisible bone that keeps the neck stiff."

"Officer Benzyck! It's good to see you and there's some jam right there on your collar, praise God!"- Rev. Earl Harrigan

John F. Kennedy K.J.J. is on a distinguished road K.J.J.'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would have to say the opening lines. They captured me straight away. I was lifted off into a knew world that I haven't dared thought of leaving any time soon!

Probably Sheb! He was quite the character. Little did I know he had a larger role in Roland's story though! I was very glad to see his story extended.
    Zoltan comes in second place though. That bird was just unforgettable. His name is utterly hilarious also!

The fact that it ended and I didn't have a copy of the Drawing of the Three until the following Tuesday! (I finished it on a Thursday!)

That Roland let Jake drop!! I totally did not see that coming, I was expecting Jake to have a much larger role in Roland's quest for the tower then only a few dozen pages!

Spoiler:
    Little did I know I was right (:

I have to say yes. It would haunt me for the rest of my life, but I realized if I was in that situation, and my doorway to the tower was about to shut if I took the time to save this kid, I would have HAD to let the poor soul fall to his death.

Definatly the the desert. After all, it was the apotheosis of ALL deserts. I can't stand the heat, and just imagining being trapped in that massive sandbox, with the hills on the horizon just standing there teasing me... I don't know if i would have made it out alive!

Punto Ka dotKay is on a distinguished road dotKay's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The palaver at the end

Jake

I'm read it in English (not my first language) so i had some trouble with landscape descriptions and i was kinda confused with the whole walter-marten-man in black thing...

That it wasn't as difficult to read as i thought it would be.

No way. But i think i can see why Roland did.

I can't stand the heat, but i think it would be worst to be in the darkness, hearing noises, not knowing what's ahead.

Traveler yesterday's_eyes is on a distinguished road yesterday's_eyes's Avatar

Roland winning his guns.

Cort

The whole Tull thing.

Roland dropping jake.

No.

Heat

Along the Path of the Beam keyframe is on a distinguished road keyframe's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The end of Tull

I liked the priest lady in Tull,she was pretty intense.

Nothing at all.

How quick Roland was to smoke everybody in Tull...he probably could have escaped, but he just mowed em' down.

Yes...especially after Jake said there were other worlds than these.

Desert would be worse by far.

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

=> The note left to Allie by Marten about what's after death. I just loved this idea of a somehow perfect trap. In the same time you feel that she will say it, she will no matter what happens. On the other hand you don't know when. Marten doesn't when either...and he doesn't care! I love this sooo nasty way of joking. He's just happy to know that the shithole will eventuelly blow up. I pictured it very very well.

=> When he meets Jake for the first time, and when he saves him from the succubus in the mountains.

=> Cuthbert and Marten, I have a thing with jokers...

=> The ending...after all that, after Jake died, just "let's talk and 10 years will pass by". I was really bothered.

=> Nothing and everything. That's what I love. Its a real tragedy, you know what's happening and you can just watch it. You know what is going to happen in Tull and with Jake. Yet, seing it properly is always surprising because of course no details are
    forseen.

=> NO, never in my life I could let a child fall to his death. I would have protected Jake at any cost. => My heart

=> Well, what was to happen next? We both survive in this world with nothing to go on with? We watch the world collapse as we get old with nothing more than each other? Of course I would have let him fall all the way down the pit. => My head

=> The two choices are both the opposite extreme of each other. I really have no idea.

John F. Kennedy sofaki is on a distinguished road sofaki's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The final test

Allie

The death of Jake. Totally unxpected!!

The end

Yeah, it was essential in order to reach the man in black.

Under the mountains. Darkness creeps me out.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The end, when the Man in Black shows Roland so many things he can't understand. I also really liked the part with the Oracle. It was also very mysterious and a kind of riddle in its own way.

Cuthbert.

I wondered why the Man in Black would kill Jake in his world to put him in the desert where he'd meet Roland. I still don't understand why, since at this point in the story, Roland has no trouble killing kids like during the battle in Tull but the Man in Black thought Roland'd come to love Jake. How did he predict that? Why did it work? That really puzzled me.

That Roland was aroused by Sylvia Pittson. I really didn't get it even after rereading it so many times.

I really can't say. I resented Roland a lot for doing it but I don't know what I would have done if I had to choose between being given the chance of a lifetime to know what everything is about and taking care of a child I'd have come to love. It's a really tough choice to make.

In the heat across the desert.

Country
    Country Flag

I wondered why the Man in Black would kill Jake in his world to put him in the desert where he'd meet Roland. I still don't understand why, since at this point in the story, Roland has no trouble killing kids like during the battle in Tull but the Man in Black thought Roland'd come to love Jake. How did he predict that? Why did it work? That really puzzled me.
    I think the Ma in Black can feel a lot and a lot of things. He's a powerfull wizard able to travel between the worlds, to see far away both in time and space and probably he could feel who might strike Roland's heart the way Susan did. The Man in Black seems to know Roland very well, the way an old friend would know what you might like.
    Probably he wasn't sure who he was looking for when he walked through the whens and wheres, but he knew when he saw Jake. He knew that was the perfect bait for the trap he'd chosen: love.

But I think that Jake was first thought of as a whole by SK, then his story came. That's how things usually happen. First you see the character and then you build around him a lot of things to explain the way he is.

The Gunslinger is known for its incoherences, but I don't mind them. To me they're a great opportunity to feel and imagine how things are in this strange world. I love when things aren't said but implied, or even neglected. I can build my own vision, and in the case of the Gunslinger, it works very well.
    -What do we usually do about bad things that aren't of our concern?
    -Well...we laught about it.
    -Then, my friend, once you're in the grave death might be a lot more fun than what we expect.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Little Gem: I think there's great difference between killing someone in a battle, immediately saving your own life and sacrificing the same person after you've talked, shared bread and water, and created some form of attachment - all for the sake of an abstraction, something you've never seen and which is not present as an immediate factor.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
    I think the Ma in Black can feel a lot and a lot of things. He's a powerfull wizard able to travel between the worlds, to see far away both in time and space and probably he could feel who might strike Roland's heart the way Susan did. The Man in Black seems to know Roland very well, the way an old friend would know what you might like.
    Probably he wasn't sure who he was looking for when he walked through the whens and wheres, but he knew when he saw Jake. He knew that was the perfect bait for the trap he'd chosen: love.

But I think that Jake was first thought of as a whole by SK, then his story came. That's how things usually happen. First you see the character and then you build around him a lot of things to explain the way he is.

The Gunslinger is known for its incoherences, but I don't mind them. To me they're a great opportunity to feel and imagine how things are in this strange world. I love when things aren't said but implied, or even neglected. I can build my own vision, and in the case of the Gunslinger, it works very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Little Gem: I think there's great difference between killing someone in a battle, immediately saving your own life and sacrificing the same person after you've talked, shared bread and water, and created some form of attachment - all for the sake of an abstraction, something you've never seen and which is not present as an immediate factor.
    I get both of your points but what puzzled me about this is the fact that Jake had planned to hide when he saw Roland approching and Roland decided to talk with Jake. What if Jake had hidden or what if Roland had not wanted to talk with the kid (who is far from lovable at this point in the story)? That makes a lot of "if" for the purpose of the Man in Black to be fulfilled, doesn't it?

Country
    Country Flag

Well, basically I could answer with one word. One very clever excuse for nearly every question such as the one that buggers you: Ka.

About Jake hidding, maybe the Man in Black knew that Jake would go to Roland anyway. I don't think it's a risky bet to say that a lone kid lost in the desert might want to find someone to help him. Even if Roland is cold or whatever, he's far less scray (to Jake) than the Man in Black.
    Jake isn't stupid, he knows he will die if he stays alone, even if he gives himslef the image of a survivor.

Then, about Roland wanting to speak with Jake. Well, it's said that Roland loved Jake since the forst time he saw him:
    "Maybe the truth was that he'd loved the kid from the first momenet he'd seen him (as he had Susan Delgado)..."
    The Man in Black knew it because it's what his trap is about! Then there is no chance that Roland could step by Jake without a word.

Anyway, I don't think the Man in Black would mind his trap being avoided by Roland. He doesn't care much. It's like the trap set in Tull, he left before seing what would happen.

In the end it doesn't change anything.
    -What do we usually do about bad things that aren't of our concern?
    -Well...we laught about it.
    -Then, my friend, once you're in the grave death might be a lot more fun than what we expect.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post
    The Man in Black knew Roland much better than we did at that time. And I think he knew him better than Roland knew himself.
    Great power doesn't come from magic. Great power comes from knowing the human soul.
    TMiB gave it a try and this time it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door
    I get both of your points but what puzzled me about this is the fact that Jake had planned to hide when he saw Roland approching and Roland decided to talk with Jake. What if Jake had hidden or what if Roland had not wanted to talk with the kid (who is far from lovable at this point in the story)? That makes a lot of "if" for the purpose of the Man in Black to be fulfilled, doesn't it?
    In this case the Man in Black would have needed a new trap. That's all. Who knows how many of his traps hadn't worked before Roland met Jake.

Traveler Whiskeybent is on a distinguished road Whiskeybent's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"Hai! David Kill!" One of those moments that give you gooseflesh.

Cort, without a doubt. I think he brought more clarity to the book than any other. Even Roland. Not to mention he reminded me alot of men that trained me in the Air Force lol!

I was more confused at the end than I was at the beginning. I still think that it is WAY to cryptic than the first book of a series should be. Points for originality tho.

That I was so compelled to pick up the second even though I wasn't sure whether I liked the story or not.

Knowing what Roland knew? Absolutely. But, of course I didn't know what he knew, the first time around, which made me pretty upset that he dropped a boy he loved. It was a weird feeling, hating a character you respected. A good feeling to start to like him as the story continued, and a great feeling to love that character by the end.

Rather be in the desert, darkness like that would drive you mad if it didn't kill you.

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Rolands battle in Tull

Cort, He is awesome!

It ended

Rolands battle in Tull

I think so, It was the only way

OMG, I hate the heat. Plus you would have sand everywhere
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeybent View Post

Knowing what Roland knew? Absolutely. But, of course I didn't know what he knew, the first time around, which made me pretty upset that he dropped a boy he loved. It was a weird feeling, hating a character you respected. A good feeling to start to like him as the story continued, and a great feeling to love that character by the end.
    And people dare to say King is just a simple horror writer..

Traveler killboi is on a distinguished road killboi's Avatar

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Country
    Country Flag

Coming across Brown. Dialogue was perfect.

Brown..again!!
    Although i liked the crazy guy who was brought back from death too

Hard to tell.

That it was the first one which truly felt unputdownable.

Well!! i have a pretty liking to amoral protagonists. So yeah, i would have let him drop.

Desert for sure.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Roland's test with Cort.

Brown and Zoltan, very interesting

It ended too soon.

1. That it is not a "western", although in a lot of ways it is. 2. That I not only like it, I love it and all things DT. I, like some of the others on this board, had to try several times over a period of years to actually pick this book up and read it all the way through which is unusual with me and SK. 3. Roland interested me which kept me coming back wanting to know more about him. It blows my mind that a person can be totally obsessed by a fictional person. This board really makes me feel OK about it........I am not alone.

I don't know, who can say. Did I think Roland was going to do it? Yes because that is who he is.

I hate heat but I think the claustrophobia in the dark would have made me insane so I am going with under the mountains.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast