Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Gunslinger Q&A *spoilers

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Gunslinger Q&A *spoilers

The Gunslinger. We are first introduced to Roland following the man in black across the desert. We were hooked. I know I just love Roland. He is my favorite character in the whole series, and yes I do love them all, but it started with Roland and The Gunslinger.

What was your favorite moment in The Gunslinger?

Who is your favorite minor character in The Gunslinger?

What bugged you the most about this book?

What surprised you most about this book?

At that moment, would you have let jake drop?

Which was worse....Traveling in the dark under the mountains or traveling in the heat across the desert?

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Roland telling Jake about his Test.

David. he knew what he was getting into and he still did it for Roland.

Also, Marten egging Roland on was good reading.

ok and I also loved Cort. I mean how could you not just love Cort?

Honestly, I can't think of one thing I didn't like. The book is fast paced and fulfilling.

Roland taking everyone down in Tull. I didn't see it coming and I was absorbed in the telling of the tale. He really did take those people out and I was hooked.

No. I could've never let Jake drop. BUT....I see how Roland could. He never really let himself truly love Jake because he knew he would eventually be sacrificed.

Which was worse....Traveling in the dark under the mountains or traveling in the heat across the desert?

Imo, the dark. I don't think I would have lasted in the dark that long.

EDIT:

I'm throwing in a FUCK GRETTA SHAW for good measure.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    The Gunslinger. We are first introduced to Roland following the man in black across the desert. We were hooked. I know I just love Roland. He is my favorite character in the whole series, and yes I do love them all, but it started with Roland and The Gunslinger.

This is nearly impossible for me to answer. I loved every word, every second of the book each time I read it. However, if I must pick a favorite moment it is when Roland palavers with Walter.

I think that would be Allie.

That it was revised.

When I first picked it up it seemed it would be a western. I generally don't like westerns. So I was surprised I liked it and I was surprised that it very much wasn't what I expected.

Yup!

The desert

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post

Roland's manhood test...super-cool.

Cort and Marten.

Because I was rather young, the first time I read it it bugged me (and intrigued me) that I wasn't sure about its timeframe and location as it had so many hints about our world.

That is wasn't a King horror book and that I liked it.

I think even early on, I wanted to see the Tower too so I believed Roland's gut that dropping him was the way to get there. Yes.

The desert would suck but I think I'd probably need to pee if I was traveling in the pitch dark with creepy noises about me. When the slow muties came out, I'd probably not have to pee anymore, I would have just needed a change of pants.
    Cool idea maerlyn dear!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

yeah, monte, I'm with you and the mountains. eeek those fucking mutants would have freaked me out. misery.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

hypnotized Jake telling about his life and death in New York

Hax

Everything. I would have dropped it if I'd had access to any other book at the moment.

that King wrote it

at the moment of my first readint it, I couldn't relate to any of the characters, so the question didn't arise. Now, as I argued elsewhere, the answer is no. I'd rather let the Tower fall and the universe go to dogs (my main argument was that a universe which demands that its saviors sacrifice children doesn't deserve to be saved)

desert!!!
    ::fanning himself with all four paws::

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Roland's man-hood test, no matter how many times I have read it, it's always my fav

David, Allie (poor Allie) and Brown

not a thing

That it was written by such a young man

NO WAY IN HELL, I understand why Roland did it, it was the quest, but I couldn't have let him fall.

Mountains, I am soooo afraid of the dark!!!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Great idea for a thread!...I'm gonna do some thinking on this one.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't you just love Maer's enthusiasm?

I'll reply to this and the DoTT thread when I get home

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Don't you just love Maer 's enthusiasm?

(fixed that for you Feverish)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that looks better

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmm, there are quite a few, I appreciate the book more each time I reread it. I love the stuff with Sylvia, I like the flashbacks to Gilead and Jake's flashbacks, I was really interested when Roland spoke with the demon in the speaking circle and the palaver with the Man In Black was very mythic.

Sylvia I reckon. She was utterly deluded but at the same time very powerful, that interested me.

Well, first time I read it - everything! The way it was written, by which I mean the style, was so alien for a SK book I couldn't really get into it and forced myself to read on because I'd been promised that DotT was awesome.

Now though, I'm not sure theres anything.

That it would be richer when you returned to it.

Not if I was dying of thirst and the Man In Black had the last pint of beer in the world!

It'd be the heat for me. I can't stand to be out in the sun - I'd much rather admire it from a cool, shady spot.

Nice one Maer

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I'll go with Tull! (surprise?) It's one of the most intense scenes I've read from any book, ever.

David. The fact that Roland regarded him so highly (with the shooting the sky in memory of him and such) only helps to reinforce this.

Nothing, I loved it all - from beginning to end.

I have to echo what Jean said - that King is the author.

Without hesitation - it's not easy to let go of an obsession that has been pursued for so long, especially if my inner clockwork functions the way Roland's does.

The heated desert. I don't mind pitch black darkness, but I can't stand the heat.

Traveler KA DINH is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

the opening chapter with that description of roland and his guns!

cort, because he was such a merciless bastard in their teaching.it paid off!

Nothing except the end i did not want it to stop

that when i first read it i became hooked like a crackhead

roland does so because that was fate, jake said there are other worlds than these.

they both sound like loads of fun if your a masochist, but i would have to say the dark

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the blade of grass dream thing

David

It seemed very choppy, but that's to be expected since it was originally 5 short stories.

That Roland believed any of what Walter told him.

If I was Roland, definitely.

I have no idea, and hope I never find out.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

All the lines where I could feel that Roland did love Jake. It was good to see that my gunslinger can have feelings.

Allie

That King revised it. Thereis nothing else I can think about.

My feelings. I got hooked on it so much. I was just 12 years old at that time and it was so good to fall in love with a series.

I feel I wouldn't.

Desert. Hands down.

Roland would have understood.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Roland's manhood test. My fav parts of the series are the glimpses of Roland's world as it was. This was a big glimpse into that. It was also a good look at exactly what Roland will do to win. After David, I was never shocked at Roland's willingness to sacrifice others for the Tower. It was the ultimate choice of weapon and a choice Roland made again and again.

Allie. She seemed to me like the kind of character you'd find in a Tom Waits song [and that's about as high praise as I can give something].

The revision. I found it unnecessary, and I typically re-read the original.
    Other than that, nothing. I loved this book from the first time I read it and I never do understand what others don't see in it.

Jake's story. The first time I read the book I couldn't believe this kid in the middle of the desert was a dead kid from NYC. I thought that was the coolest thing ever and Jake has been my favorite character from the first time I heard his story.

I'd love to say no, but I can't. Not if I were Roland.

"The heat, my god the heat." - Elaine Benes, Seinfeld

I'd have been ok with the journey under the mountains, but I don't do well in the heat.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would have to say Rolands manhood test and the way that David fought for Roland

Cort

Nothing

That it was a Stephen King book. It is not a horror book and I got hooked on it anyways

No, I could not have let Jake fall no matter what happened

Which was worse....Traveling in the dark under the mountains or traveling in the heat across the desert

Without a doubt, the dark under the mountains with the mutants. I can stand the heat but the mutants and dark like that would really scare the pants off me

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

When Walter shows Roland the complexity of the universe. I can, and do, read that over and over at times.

I'd have to say Cort. Reading this book for the first time, I think it was good to show a kind of explanation as to what a gunslinger was exactly, and what was to be expected of them. The trial with Cort definitely summed things up.

While I can't say I'd change the story, the people of Tull and their stupidity annoyed me.

I' have to agree with the others that said it was surprising that King wrote it.

At that moment, would you have let Jake drop?

I wish I could answe no, but I'm sure that I would have been so wrapped up in my quest, just like Roland, that I would have let him fall.

The desert! The parts with Roland nearing exhaustion felt way too real to me. When he kept playing the nursery rhyme over and over in his mind...**shudders**
    I've passed out from heat stroke before, and I can say: I'd much rather dare the dark any day.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Roland's childhood and meeting Cuthbert.

Cuthbert! I was truly drawn to him from the first reading.

That Roland didn't leave Tull when he knew he should.

How different the style was from King's other works.

Probably not, but if I were Roland then...

The desert. Heat sucks (says the wolf in Florida).
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland-Walter palaver

Zoltan

Nothing i can imediately think of.

Roland not killing the man in black.

Not a question i am able to answer.

The dark. Although the heat would have been horrible almost unbearable.
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

jake discovering roland passed out in the way station and putting hay under his head.

david, the hawk.

roland dropping jake; all of roland's actions in tull

that sai king could write someone that he clearly intended to be a hero as such an anti-hero

not for anything.

definitely the heat/desert. at least in the dark under the mountains they were together, and it was cool.

eta: greta took very good care of jake. so there!
    Last edited by The Lady of Shadows; 07-13-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: greta haters! :)

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

The first line, as well as the description of Roland. Mostly that first line. I'd been dragging my heels when it came to starting this book and that first line was so simple, so enigmatic. Never has one sentence so fully mesmerized me.

Probably David or Cort.

I can't really think of anything that bugged me.

The palaver and Walter's explanation of God and all the universes. I wasn't expecting that sort of thing from Stephen King at all. I guess you could say that my big surprise was that it's an SK book but that bit of palaver was what so unexpected from him.

No. Jake is my all-time favorite.

The dark under the mountains. I'm a little bit afraid of the dark (even at 26!)
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Roland's test

Cort

Not one thing

That Roland let Jake drop.

No. He came to love him, and that's something I'd never do to someone I loved.

I'm not a big fan of extreme heat, so I'll have to go with the desert.

Traveler fx12345 is on a distinguished road fx12345's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would have to say that it was the manhood test. In my opinion, it was the best fight scene in the book.

I liked David and Cort a lot but my absolute favorite character would be Cuthbert because I have so much in common with him.

I liked pretty much everything about the book and I can't truthfully think of anything I'd like to change.

I was most surprised about the profound speech Walter made about the universe at the end of the book.

Well, considering that before he fell, he said there were other worlds than this before he fell, I would probably let him drop.

I would say the desert was worse. I would much rather go in the damp, dark cave with the slow mutants than in the seering hot, heat with scorpions, lobstrocities, and God knows what else.
    Reality is for those who lack imagination.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast