Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rage ***Spoilers!***

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I understand your point of view Woofer. This is an idea that we will just have to disagree on. I do not think that a story is going to make someone go out and do something. I do think that sometimes, something from outside our heads can give us an idea that helps us to make a decision be it for good or for bad. I think King saw his story for just that. An outside influence that he feared would help someone to make a bad decision, and he didn't want that on his conscience.

You are right though that people like to blame what they do on other things. WE are responsible for our choices and our actions. The idea of a video game, tv show, or book being responsible for someone's actions is a fiction perpetrated upon us by defense attorneys. The people who have gone to school with the intent of killing other people made that decision. They pulled the triggers, and they are the ones responsible. Not some book or game they played.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Yes, exactly.

I don't agree with King's decision, but I respect it. He had to do what he felt was right because he's the only one who has to live inside his own head.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Along the Path of the Beam Beamer is on a distinguished road Beamer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read this in Junior High, i really felt like doing the same thing numerous times...
    it's a good thing i didnt live out all my fantasies huh...

Getting it on. at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Just read this book, absolutely loved it!!! Great writing, I love the old SK especially as Bachman....

Now, I am glad that I did not read it 10-15 years ago as I believe I would have extracted a completely different meaning from it, and I wouldn't have been able to understand the emotions that were being expressed by Charlie as I was feeling them myself at the time. (not the homicidal stuff or "parental abuse" stuff, mind you....just the feelings of "the man" coming down on me.)

I completely agree with SK for pulling the book. I know that you can't blame a book for a person's doing's, but this would be the book that would allow a person to rationalize their feelings of hate and violence towards other human beings. If these people are so sick as to have the thought of causing harm to someone else, they may also me unable to differentiate between real life and "a story". Basically, if some kid was thinking about going and shooting up their school- this book may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

If a person is planning to go to school on a killing rampage, nothing will affect their decision IMO.

And they are doing it for different reasons than having read Rage.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

If we are to censure one book on this premise, does it not beg the question, should all acts of violence in literature be censured? I think not.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Getting it on. at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNING'S CHILDE View Post
    If we are to censure one book on this premise, does it not beg the question, should all acts of violence in literature be censured? I think not.
    IF, as in the case with Rage and it's author Richard Bachman aka SK, the book is deemed worthy of censorship by it's original author, then yes I do feel it is correct.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course, If censored by its own author. I forgot about that part. I got caught up in the argument of to censor or not to censor.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't even consider it censorship. It was released to the public as written essentially. If someone is actively pursuing a copy it's not all that hard to find. All that happened here was the author made a personal decision that he didn't feel comfortable putting it out there, so he's simply chosen not to allow furthur printings.. Limited availability doesn't equal censorship.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

"I would just say to you as students who are supposed to be learning, as soon as that book is gone from the school library, do not walk, run to your nearest public library or bookseller and find out what your elders don't want you to know, because that's what you need to know." Stephen King 9/22/85

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bump for Stebbins

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I really enjoyed the passage that he wrote about how the mind works when it begins to unravel. The difference between being sane and crazy.
    I thought it was one of the most genius and poetic things I've ever read.
    In the immortal words of Rick James "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Jean!

I completely agree with Jerome's (#6) post.

This is, in my opinion, the simplest of King's novels I have read, but I find beauty in simplicity. I also enjoy dark comedy, and there's plenty of that. Having a strained-- to say the least-- relationship with my father, and being not too far removed from high school to remember most of it, this book really spoke to me. I can see why he elected to pull it from publication, but I don't agree with it; someone on the first page made the point of the move conceding that media makes monsters, which I thought was brilliant. Like that person, I don't agree with that sentiment.

Bears: I'm curious as to why this earned your lowest of the low ranking.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I might have to - I don't think re-read, but at least to look through it again when I come back to answer fully; so far I only can say that every word of it sounded false to me.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wish you well on your vacation and hope it does wonders for your health. That being said, Damn, really? I bought it 100%, I thought it was a very believable voice. Clearly the speaker is insane, but I thought it a very plausible teenager.

Traveler RAPOSO is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, first of all:
    Happy New Year from Brazil!!

Just finished my reading on Rage and there are several questions on my mind.
    First thing which is knocking my head is:

“SM L DK, HOT SHIT, TOMMY '73”

Do you guys know the meaning of this phrase? Read again trying to find any sense but can’t.
    The big problem with the phrase is the words “SM L DK” and who is “TOMMY”?

Hugs,
    Raposo

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's the link to The Losers Club podcast discussion of the book:

https://consequenceofsound.net/podca...pisode-4-rage/

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just wondering do you think King was right in taking this out of print?

I understand his reasoning and I can't imagine being in his position but IDK it just comes off as a bit of a slippery slope. Like if there was evidence that disturbed people were inspired by Mr. Mercedes and ended up driving their cars into crowds of people would King take action there as well?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3