Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: favorite parts of my favorite book.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I NY

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I NY
    My favorite place on Earth.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I NY
    My favorite place on Earth.
    It's a big dream of mine to see it with my own eyes. *sigh*

Roland would have understood.

I hope that you can someday Letti.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will... sooner or later but I will.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I spent over twenty years reading and dreaming of it before my first visit. I have had three or four big dreams for my life, and all of them were New York. :sigh:
    Be sure to let us know well in advance, Letti, and I'll meet you.
    Love an excuse to return to the city.
    I know some people who've had bad experiences, but all of mine have been great.
    I was at the memorial in October 2001.
    Broadway shows, nightclubs, shops and cafes. Central Park, Washington Park, Union Square. Memories. Tribeca, Midtown... I even like New Jersey. lol

Well, anyroa', it was ka in The Waste Lands that I was mostly talkin' 'bout. The Rose, The "Restaurant," Dutch Hill...

Gunslinger Apprentice <ô> bango skank <ô> is on a distinguished road <ô> bango skank <ô>'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

best bit: Cuthbert tormanting coffin hunters with slingshot in bar.
    and Rolands pre-hell-on battle cry, gave me goosebumps.

ps. My understandinf of truth=awesome
    "God pisses down your neck everyday, but only drowns you once.*

"When the shooting starts, we kill what moves. " - Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

I even like New Jersey. lol
    lololol

Well, anyroa', it was ka in The Waste Lands that I was mostly talkin' 'bout. The Rose, The "Restaurant," Dutch Hill...
    I love the whole sequence of Jake in NY and his trying to get to Roland's world. The scenes of his trying to blend in with school groups at the museum. Dealing with the cop. The basketball court and Dutch Hill itself. I have a pretty visual mind and have "seen" most the series play out in my head as I read it, but those scenes in particular are among the most vivid for me.

John F. Kennedy Crow is on a distinguished road Crow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have three that were particularly vivid in terms of mental imaging and impact, and it's kind of hard to choose. But when Jake explores the empty lot and discovers the rose is probably my favorite scene of all. I could almost hear the angelic choir, and could see the rose, the purple grass, and the amazingly vivid yellow of the rose's interior (then the many suns producing that glow) in my mind's eye. The wild rose is a bit of an icon for me as well, so the imagery was made even more powerful on a personal level.

The episode in the mansion at Dutch Hill was also rather striking. I'm no arachnophobe, not by a longshot. But those spiders were just...wrong. And I almost always feel that a building I'm in has a particular "feel" or mood to it, so the doorman and the general, dark rotting essence to the place was particularly unsettling but also highly intriguing.

Towards the very end, when Blaine takes off and uses the computer generated images to show the ka-tet the ruined but not quite dead landscape of the wastelands was another one that really stood out. I'll never forget the first time I read of and imagined the pink stork creatures and mutated pterodactyls stabbing and flying and squawking over that hellish, ruined landscape.

Traveler uncle_whoopass is on a distinguished road uncle_whoopass's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When were introduced to Blaine and when Jake comes back to Rolands world are both passages that will always stick with me, wonderfully written and smacking of brilliance.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Yes, when Jake makes it back through the door is one of my favorite scenes in this book too. It's an intense and happy reunion...any scene where the ka-tet is reunited after being apart is a good one!

When they first introduced the cyborg Shardik is another highlight. I think this was the first book that started involving North Central Positironics - I feel like there weren't any robots/cyborgs before this book, right?

John F. Kennedy Crow is on a distinguished road Crow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    When they first introduced the cyborg Shardik is another highlight. I think this was the first book that started involving North Central Positironics - I feel like there weren't any robots/cyborgs before this book, right?
    Yep, that is correct.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Water Pump in the Gunslinger (Revised) was made by Northern Central Positironics.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Gunslinger (Revised) was not around til later.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

True, but I wasn't sure if that bit was in the original or not. I've never read it.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Gunslinger Apprentice Delah is on a distinguished road Delah's Avatar

The WasteLands is such a great book -- the best one in the series, IMO. But the whole Jake/Roland reunion scene was just fantastic writing. The best scene.

First, the set up. I knew something was coming from the moment Roland saw Jake in NY via Mort In DOTT ... and especially after Eddie's quote at the end of that book, "Who's going to come through some Magic door and save you, Roland?" Then we have the whole first half of the book, split between Roland and Jake, each suffering and going crazy and dealing with danger -- then The Mansion, the Speaking Ring, Spiders and thunder ... and their reunion is epic. And Roland's promise, which we revisit in every single book afterward. I love it ... although I admit to being a little disapointed that after they reunite the book skips ahead three days. I would have loved a little more Jake "getting to know the ka-tet."

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Waoh this tome is really great. I just love the way things are announced, how things slowly settle and how you understand it before seing it happening in front of your eyes.

I love the idea of the old robots left by the Great Old Ones, and the scary machinery they hear behind the steel door.

I really enjoyed the link between Jake and eddie while they didn't know each other. The way Eddie reached Jake through his dreams. Eddie is given a real sensitive aspect in this tome with the wood-carving and the whole forseing thing. Found it pretty nice.

The door in the mud, the demon plus the plaster-man...that was really awesome.

I never thought Jake could get beaten up the way he was... It prooves that, child or not, the Gunslinger's world is a grown up world, and if you dare travel there, get ready to meet bad things. I really enjoy seing that nobody is protected, everybody has to suffer his lot of pain.

Traveler iscream22 is on a distinguished road iscream22's Avatar

I love Dark Tower 3 theres so many great sequences, the manhattan shop of the mind, Blaine the Mono, The tick tock man and all the crazy characters and goings on in Lud, Shardik the bear etc etc Great book. Books 1-3 i have a extra special fondness for, I wasn't a big fan of DT 4, dont like the huge flashback. DT 5 was awesome as im a big Kurosawa and Seven Samurai fan. DT 6 was interesting and underrated in my opinion. And DT 7 was kind of a letdown, but i still love the series.

Im actually listening to the DT 3 audiobook as i type this lol.

DARK TOWER SAGA RULES!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by iscream22 View Post
    I love Dark Tower 3 theres so many great sequences, the manhattan shop of the mind, Blaine the Mono, The tick tock man and all the crazy characters and goings on in Lud, Shardik the bear etc etc Great book. Books 1-3 i have a extra special fondness for, I wasn't a big fan of DT 4, dont like the huge flashback. DT 5 was awesome as im a big Kurosawa and Seven Samurai fan. DT 6 was interesting and underrated in my opinion. And DT 7 was kind of a letdown, but i still love the series.

Im actually listening to the DT 3 audiobook as i type this lol.

DARK TOWER SAGA RULES!
    Let us know in one of the DT7 threads why the last book didn't get you.

Traveler TodashSpaceDweller is on a distinguished road TodashSpaceDweller's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked when the gang passes through River Crossing and has the palaver with them: good stuff. I also really enjoyed the Richard Fannin meeting Tick-Tock thing, its so obviosly Flagg that its awesome!

But my faveorite part of all is when Jake is about to be Killed by Gasher and Gashers just standing over him ready to kill and then Roland comes into the chamber of the Grays...
    Gahser: You!
    Roland: Me (he agrees)
    and just blows his head off. AWESOME!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite part, when Oy tracks Jake and Gasher thru the maze of trash and Roland has to decide if Billy Bumbler's can count or not before crashing into the Tick Tock man's bunker and blowing him away. Oh, and the part where the fountain crashes down and Gasher and Jake are just sure Roland is dead, only he isn't. Great stuff.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite part of the book is when Jake is on 'French leave' in NY, both times. Just wandering around, seeing the city. Meeting Calvin Tower and Deepno at the bookstore, in the lot, in the museum, etc. His teacher's ridiculous review of his essay and his dad's nutjob reaction to him skipping school. And then he goes to meet young Eddy. I really enjoy that part of the book. I was glad to see Jake come back into the series.

Roland going through the door to grab Jake, and then the embrace after was great too. I really enjoy the relationship between he and Jake and how that develops in the series.

Traveler Chris1974100 is on a distinguished road

I agree Waste Land is one of the best in the series

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4